Episode #51 "El Viejo"

Ferrariman

@ivoryjones ah ok, and thanks for the photos. I was going from memory, which was off apparently. Now that I see the first photo you posted it appears this may be a black jack, which is the rounded version of the slap jack (pretty sure I saw Nick Nolte use a slap jack in the film Mulholland Falls) .  Same principle in that it is lead wrapped in leather used for stunning or knocking someone out.  Perhaps something like these vintage police black jack weapons:

Image result for Guy with Blackjack Weapon

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 3

On 4/11/2016 at 6:34 AM, JDe75 said:

Jake leaving his nitos at home in the end was kind of odd. I mean, in the EXcelsior-hotel when his heart started acting up after handling the Bolivian's errand boy, it took him down flat. So, what if it had happened again, before or during the last confrontation and had prevented the whole thing. Why would he had taken such a risk? I think the whole thing was done just to add theatrics at the end by Sonny finding the pills. It did add to the feeling that it was the last thing he'd do, but did so at logic's expense.

You're right about the need to suspend some logical thinking when viewing this, JDe75.  I think Jake realized how bad his heart was, and he wanted only one more thing out of life--vengeance for the death of his friend's son.  Once he accomplished that, he didn't care if he died.  If he had experienced an episode during that last confrontation with the Bolivian, he wouldn't have had the time to pop a nitro and wait for it to take effect anyway. The Bolivian would have killed him if he didn't drop dead.  So he didn't need the nitros for what he was going to do.  That's my take on it, anyway.

This ep is up there among my favorites as I liked the introduction of the nostalgia and reverence by Crockett for the Texas Rangers, and the great casting choice that was Willie Nelson as the aging Ranger, Jake Pierson. Though Pierson was presumed to be old (El Viejo means the Old) I would guess in his 70s, in reality Nelson was only in his early 50s at the time. (the impact of living a hard life?). The thought there is  if he used a 1936 Colt Peacemaker, so Pierson would have to be somewhere around 70+ at the time of the episode.  Nelson is convincing as an aging drug dealer gone bad, or at least out to make one last score to fund his retirement, though Crockett slowly sees through his veneer. Great interactions with characters such as Rickles played by Buscemi... love that "you know what I like about you Rickles...not a damned thing" line, and when Pierson was  reminiscing about his ranger days to Crockett. The final shootout was great, in Texas Ranger style as recounted by Jake going into a gunfight vastly outnumbered. When Pierson said to Crockett that he always knew he was a cop, I flashed back to the scene with the van where Pierson told Crockett to finish the bad guy off. That scene always had me wondering about Pierson's true intentions, though I suppose revenge for his buddy's son's death  trumps the code of a peace officer.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

As far as Im concerned, this is the first episode of S3. I like WIEAC, but this feels like a premiere, whereas the former did not. You can tell just by the establishing shots of the Daytona.

Right from the start, you can tell this season is gonna be different. The tone, music and color scheme are all more moody. Personally, I dig it. As much a I like the S1/S2 look, this is refreshing. I also like DJ's hair. Made me try out spiking mine. Unfortunately, with curly hair, spiking is a bitch.

Anyway, I really like Willie Nelson. And I dig the western vibe of this episode. Big fan of Steve Buscemi in this. A friend of mine and me have an injoke. We say to each other:Ya know what I like about you? Not a damn thing.

Overall this is a damn solid episode. The finale could've been better and the flashbacks are a little hokey. However, this is just too enjoyable.

9/10

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

One of my favorites. DJ's haircut though...ehhhhhhh no. Willie Nelson has a wonderful presence, feels natural for the role. I love this episode, almost nothing wrong with it and I thank whoever decided to put in Cactus World News. Amazing stuff..."he likes your shoes, he wants to know how you can afford them...on a cop's salary."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What an outstanding episode! In the beginning I was confused to see the Daytona's resurrection, but meanwhile I found out this was supposed to be the season opener. 

Anyway, the cast of "El viejo" and Steve Buscemi is superb. Crazy to see how many stars had their career kick-start through an episode of MV! The choice of music is pretty much perfect as well! Especially Bon Jovi during the scene in the museum. 

In this actual season opening episode the new darker atmosphere of the show appeared, but it was still a great mix of everything we loved about the first seasons - added with something fresh. Later in the season sadly Vice changed too much into the new direction. One thing I've noticed, this is the last episode with the Miami Vice logo in the intro with the old pink background behind the letters. After this episode this background turned into purple. 

The showdown could have been better and maybe longer. The bad guys go down slightly too quick in my opinion. And the fog is a bit controversial too. Overall not a deal breaker though and a 9/10. One of my Top-5 episodes so far. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, squeezem3 said:

meanwhile I found out this was supposed to be the season opener

Imagine us back in 1986 without the internet :eek:

• 4 months later...

Watched this one again and treated it like the season 3 opener. Despite some silly holes in logic and the story, I find El Viejo to be one of the best. As others have noted, the music (both Hammer and popular music choices) is excellent and the guest stars are first-rate. On a side note, has Willie Nelson always looked seventy years old? 

The entire Vice team participates in this episode, which is always nice. The Scarab and the Ferrari both see a little action, Tubbs scores a hit on Pierson during their brief gun fight, and the scene with Switek and Zito searching for the Royal Hotel is kind of fun. Now that I think about it, they packed a lot into this one episode. Maybe that's why it feels more like a season premiere than Irish Eyes or Contempt of Court.

Honestly, this is one of my favorites but I can't help picking a bit...

Why didn't Sonny just call over Rico and have him "take care" of the security guard? Would've made complete sense for Burnett--as a bad guy--to hand off the problem to his partner so as to not spook the Bolivian while at the same time protecting the civilian. As a cop, his #1 priority is protecting that security guard even if it means blowing the sting.

Seriously... a brief case? And how it got dropped is even more ridiculous. Season 3 did suffer from some MacGuffins like this, and I admit this despite liking Season 3 most of all (I know, I'm in the minority on that one).

We've got a dead rent-a-cop and a dead DEA agent. We know from the beginning that Pierson's involvement must have something to do with one of them, particularly as they make a point of saying they can't find the guard's next-of-kin. Sort of overkill, IMO. One too many red herrings. As I watched the episode, it felt (to me) as if they added Wilson (the DEA agent) after principle shooting was complete. I think the guard was originally meant to be Pierson's partner's son. 

Vice made a big change in tone/clothing with the third season AND moved an hour earlier to square off against mighty Dallas. They really should have considered another two-hour movie to kick the season off, considering those changes. The show was at it's peak popularity by the end of S2, so they had the budget.

Some point to the change in color/tone as the downfall, others to the time slot change. IMO, the combination of both started Vice's decline. They should not have done both at once, and if they did they should have started with a bigger bang.

Edited by Campion
typos
  • Like 2

Imo even when he was young and clean shaven, Willie Nelson looked older than he was. Then later the beard and the hair didn't do him any favors in this regard, except to keep him at a perpetual 50 odd yrs old for longer than normal.  It's nice to see someone hold S3 in such high regard.  I like it a lot too and think it gets a lot of unnecessary hate.

• Like 2

Good points.  Sadly I think that Mann's leaving had a huge impact.  I also like a lot of S3 (including the topical storylines), but it certainly changed a lot about the show.  Michael Mann had decided to move on.  He wanted to bring forth something else new and different while his popularity from Vice was high.  I think the time slot change was a pretty big factor.  Dallas at the time was very strong competition, although Friday night was a traditionally weak time slot.

• Like 1

I think some of the best drama is contained in S3-Hackman's deception, The Good Collar ending, Stone's death, Sonny's obsession in Shadow In The Dark, of course Zito._. the list goes on.

• Like 3

I always really liked S3. I actually like the later seasons because they do take on some wider subjects and issues and let other characters come through and shine. Mann's departure wasn't a bad thing on the whole. I'm not a huge fan of "Mr. Formula" Dick Wolf, though, but it did bring some interesting topics on board.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Well my rewatching continues, and I decided to start off Season 3 with this episode. For two reasons, them being this was the original opener for the Season. I'm also not ready to say goodbye to the Daytona yet ;(  starts off amazingly with Bon Jovi and of course who can forget Depeche Mode? Wasn't sure if it was just me but when Crockett shot the goon and said "Aw hell, let him die slow" I thought that was a little cold, definitely something Burnett would do :) Willie Nelson is an amazing guest star, has he always looked like an old man or what? :) I was trying to picture what year he would of been a Texas Ranger as the flashbacks make it look straight out of a John Wayne flick. Fantastic episode definitely gets a 9, fantastic score by Dadrian as well, uh I mean..Jan Hammer as always.  Steve Buscemi playing a dumb gangster as always never fails to get some laughs.  Also just a sidenote. Gina has never looked more beautiful than in this episode. =)

Edited by Detective_Crockett
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A very interesting comment made by a Vice fan 30 years ago

A friend pointed out that there was a certain irony in having the man who played Gregorio Cortez okay Crockett's attempt to rescue a Texas Ranger. (For those who never seen the film, The Texas Rangers used the pursuit of Gregorio Cortez to help prevent their agency from being disbanded.)

Edward James Olmos played the lead role in the 1982 film The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great episode here, pals! Just rewatched it last night. I agree, it should have been the Season 3 opener. “WIEAC” is a good episode, but “El Viejo” is great episode.

I really love “State of Emergency” by World Cactus News. Such a sorrowful, emotional song with a cowboy western feel to song. I was shocked they were from Ireland coming with that sound and having cactus in their band name. Heh. This is a much better song that Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive”. Jon Bon Jovi has said things that make me not like him very much. Also, that song is one way too overplayed on classic rock stations now, as well.

Depeche Mode’s “Flies on the Windscreen” is another great song used in this episode. Very dark and chilling, yet also a love song. It’s seems to be like “we’re going to die, so let’s make love.” :) The main lead singer, Dave Gahan has cheated death four times. I’m amazed he’s still alive.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I LOVE this episode...one of my favorites of Season 3 & the show! :thumbsup: Amazing plot, amazing cinematography, amazing performances! :clap: The colors & MV color-scheme really “pop” in this one too, despite it being Season 3. 

Of course any serious MV fan is going to know this is the famous episode where the "ghost Spyder" phenomena occurs :p --where Crockett's Ferrari Daytona Spyder suddenly shows back up after it was destroyed in the season premiere. As most probably know, this originally was supposed to be the season opener, but Don suddenly decided he wanted more money...causing delays in filming. Also resulting in the Daytona making a surprise resurrection. Well, selfish or not, Don got his pay raise, Crockett stayed, and the show continued on. Definitely for the best! :dance2: If Don had left, the show would have faded out way sooner than it did....same would have happened if Philip Michael Thomas had left.

I love 'ol Willie Nelson in this! In my opinion this shows the old dude can act, as well as sing! :clap: He was a captivating character actor and I was really enthralled by his Jake Pierson character. I also love the whole Texas Ranger part thrown in, and the past Jake brings to Miami. The only part I somewhat hate is when Willie starts slamming Tubbs' Caddy into the bad guy's van. I'm like no, no, no....not the Caddy! :eek: LOL! But, it also shows that Jake could hold his own, and still had some action left.

However, in reality Willie Nelson was born around the supposed time ‘Jake’ was a Texas Ranger, fighting gangsters in the 30s. ;) Willie was in his 50s around the time this episode was filmed, but he realistically & superbly played a guy supposedly in his 70s. Willie's 88 now, and the last time I saw a pic of him he basically still looks the same! From what we occasionally hear he's still singing...and still smokin' his pot. :hippie: LOL!! :) I really wish Jake hadn’t died at the end, as I think his character was captivating enough to have shown up later...for a character-sequel episode or two. But, I suppose it was more “dramatic” this way. ;( 

The (what I call) continual Tubbs’ Caddy blooper happens again in this...when Jake is driving it, following Crockett & Tubbs. In one scene it’s the black steering wheel Caddy, and in the very next shot it’s suddenly now the white steering wheel one. 

The music in this episode was also superb! :thumbsup: I love Flies On the Windscreen by Depeche Mode, during the highway action/car chase scene...but I love Depeche Mode period! I also really loved State of Emergency by Cactus World News...superb song that really fit the plot! :clap: Like Desire by Yello in the episode "Killshot", it too was a ‘haunting’ song that just captivated you. Of course Bon Jovi's famous Wanted Dead or Alive is also awesome towards the beginning. :radio:

This should have been the season premiere...but the only one besides "Irish Eyes Are Crying"--as I love that episode too! This one just had everything...superb plot, fashion, action, acting, cars, music, filming locations, etc... Like the Pilot, “Hit List” & “Calderone’s Demise” 2-parter ("Calderone's Return" Pts. 1&2 in syndication), "Smuggler's Blues", "Out Where the Buses Don't Run", "Definitely Miami", and many more... This one was definitely "Mimai Vice"! I originally gave it a 10, and there’s no way I’d ever change that!! :glossy:

9FE23F8B-C023-446A-AB95-8165CD8A8ADA.jpeg

5030C738-0EF6-483B-A599-C78B26E8AC68.jpeg

93C397B5-5E88-4DEE-BC2D-C7034AD3CFB7.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I agree that this should've been the opener. They could've save "Irish Eyes" for the next one. I actually watched most of the show in production date order (rather than air date) to see if it would fix the continuity errors we see in season 2 regarding Zito's hair/beard changes (it doesn't), as well as the Testarossa/Spyder issue in season 3. Alas, Crockett has his new ride in "Shadow in the Dark" (albeit in a dream sequence) BEFORE getting it in "Stone's War".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TylerDurden389 said:

I agree that this should've been the opener. They could've save "Irish Eyes" for the next one. I actually watched most of the show in production date order (rather than air date) to see if it would fix the continuity errors we see in season 2 regarding Zito's hair/beard changes (it doesn't), as well as the Testarossa/Spyder issue in season 3. Alas, Crockett has his new ride in "Shadow in the Dark" (albeit in a dream sequence) BEFORE getting it in "Stone's War".

Yeah, production dates & air dates don’t always coincide or follow continuity...especially in older shows. Sometimes they air episodes in order of filming...sometimes they don’t. And they’ll “mix” it up sometimes, too. In older shows, this usually accounts for hairstyle changes, vehicle changes, and even sometimes character changes being different throughout a whole season. :dance2: Back in the-day, you were supposed to use your imagination and just go with the entertainment. Sadly, those days are gone. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

During my marathon of MV again I decided to leave "Sons & Lovers" another time. After watching the abysmal "Trust Fund Pirates" which is up there with "Missing Hours" I thought I would start with this as the season 3 premier. 

Stunning, brilliant episode! 10/10

Music, plot, guest star, everything, so great.

I did this on my last watch as well.  Much better opener!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a Willie Nelson fan, so I watched this one during my marathon last year almost reluctantly, afraid that it would be unappealing.  But now I like it a lot, despite the presence of the ultimate vanilla band Bon Jovi.  In fact, it's now one of favorites from season 3.  Really entertaining.

Stan is rather serious in this one (in the early scenes; later he's making that liver cat food gag, and I do mean gag!), but we get a great funny scene with Gina and Trudy being hit on by two sleaze creeps.  You picked the wrong ladies, dudes!  It's great seeing an early Steve Buscemi appearance and, yep, his Rickles could come straight out of a Jarmusch or Coen brothers movie.  (Sonny's surprise attack on him while he's eating reminds me of when Buscemi receives a similar surprise beatdown in Fargo.) I like how our guys are almost like awestruck kids when they find out Pierson was a Texas ranger. 

A lean, no-fat episode.  Pierson is like the last of the old-style lawmen and there's a great "showdown" shoot-out (and the return of a classic Hammer cue, "Turning Point" from "Lombard") at a mist-enshrouded cemetery under a black-as-death sky. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 11:34 PM, Jack Gretsky said:

I'm not a Willie Nelson fan, so I watched this one during my marathon last year almost reluctantly, afraid that it would be unappealing.  But now I like it a lot, despite the presence of the ultimate vanilla band Bon Jovi.  In fact, it's now one of favorites from season 3.  Really entertaining.

Stan is rather serious in this one (in the early scenes; later he's making that liver cat food gag, and I do mean gag!), but we get a great funny scene with Gina and Trudy being hit on by two sleaze creeps.  You picked the wrong ladies, dudes!  It's great seeing an early Steve Buscemi appearance and, yep, his Rickles could come straight out of a Jarmusch or Coen brothers movie.  (Sonny's surprise attack on him while he's eating reminds me of when Buscemi receives a similar surprise beatdown in Fargo.) I like how our guys are almost like awestruck kids when they find out Pierson was a Texas ranger. 

A lean, no-fat episode.  Pierson is like the last of the old-style lawmen and there's a great "showdown" shoot-out (and the return of a classic Hammer cue, "Turning Point" from "Lombard") at a mist-enshrouded cemetery under a black-as-death sky. 

I don’t necessarily love Willie Nelson’s music, but he’s been around forever, lol...and he was amazing in this! His acting, and even his song in this episode were superb! However, Bon Jovi music is always awesome, too! :radio:

I loved the whole Texas Ranger aspect, and that Jake’s character was one last hold-over from the era of the 30s, fighting gangsters & moonshiners. However, even though he looked & fit the part of an old retired Ranger in probably his 70s...in reality at the time Willie was only in his 50s & was actually born around the time he was supposedly fighting the Texas gangsters. ;)

One of the best episodes of the season!! I actually wish Jake hadn’t of died at the end, and could have been brought back in a later episode. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I don’t necessarily love Willie Nelson’s music, but he’s been around forever, lol...and he was amazing in this! His acting, and even his song in this episode were superb! However, Bon Jovi music is always awesome, too! :radio:

I loved the whole Texas Ranger aspect, and that Jake’s character was one last hold-over from the era of the 30s, fighting gangsters & moonshiners. However, even though he looked & fit the part of an old retired Ranger in probably his 70s...in reality at the time Willie was only in his 50s & was actually born around the time he was supposedly fighting the Texas gangsters. ;)

One of the best episodes of the season!! I actually wish Jake hadn’t of died at the end, and could have been brought back in a later episode. 

Some people always look younger than their years (e.g. Michael J. Fox), some a lot older like the late Ed Asner and, of course, Willie Nelson.  :)

I would have been cool with a return of Pierson had he survived; but it was rather fitting that he died - it was like his character was living on borrowed time and once he had vengeance he was a goner. 

• Like 2