Ferrariman

Episode #51 "El Viejo"

Sonny-Burnett    611
Sonny-Burnett

@ivoryjones ah ok, and thanks for the photos. I was going from memory, which was off apparently. Now that I see the first photo you posted it appears this may be a black jack, which is the rounded version of the slap jack (pretty sure I saw Nick Nolte use a slap jack in the film Mulholland Falls) .  Same principle in that it is lead wrapped in leather used for stunning or knocking someone out.  Perhaps something like these vintage police black jack weapons:

Image result for Guy with Blackjack Weapon

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 2

vicegirl85    387
vicegirl85
On 4/11/2016 at 6:34 AM, JDe75 said:

Jake leaving his nitos at home in the end was kind of odd. I mean, in the EXcelsior-hotel when his heart started acting up after handling the Bolivian's errand boy, it took him down flat. So, what if it had happened again, before or during the last confrontation and had prevented the whole thing. Why would he had taken such a risk? I think the whole thing was done just to add theatrics at the end by Sonny finding the pills. It did add to the feeling that it was the last thing he'd do, but did so at logic's expense.

You're right about the need to suspend some logical thinking when viewing this, JDe75.  I think Jake realized how bad his heart was, and he wanted only one more thing out of life--vengeance for the death of his friend's son.  Once he accomplished that, he didn't care if he died.  If he had experienced an episode during that last confrontation with the Bolivian, he wouldn't have had the time to pop a nitro and wait for it to take effect anyway. The Bolivian would have killed him if he didn't drop dead.  So he didn't need the nitros for what he was going to do.  That's my take on it, anyway.

Sonny-Burnett    611
Sonny-Burnett

This ep is up there among my favorites as I liked the introduction of the nostalgia and reverence by Crockett for the Texas Rangers, and the great casting choice that was Willie Nelson as the aging Ranger, Jake Pierson. Though Pierson was presumed to be old (El Viejo means the Old) I would guess in his 70s, in reality Nelson was only in his early 50s at the time. (the impact of living a hard life?). The thought there is  if he used a 1936 Colt Peacemaker, so Pierson would have to be somewhere around 70+ at the time of the episode.  Nelson is convincing as an aging drug dealer gone bad, or at least out to make one last score to fund his retirement, though Crockett slowly sees through his veneer. Great interactions with characters such as Rickles played by Buscemi... love that "you know what I like about you Rickles...not a damned thing" line, and when Pierson was  reminiscing about his ranger days to Crockett. The final shootout was great, in Texas Ranger style as recounted by Jake going into a gunfight vastly outnumbered. When Pierson said to Crockett that he always knew he was a cop, I flashed back to the scene with the van where Pierson told Crockett to finish the bad guy off. That scene always had me wondering about Pierson's true intentions, though I suppose revenge for his buddy's son's death  trumps the code of a peace officer.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

Remington    127
Remington

As far as Im concerned, this is the first episode of S3. I like WIEAC, but this feels like a premiere, whereas the former did not. You can tell just by the establishing shots of the Daytona.

Right from the start, you can tell this season is gonna be different. The tone, music and color scheme are all more moody. Personally, I dig it. As much a I like the S1/S2 look, this is refreshing. I also like DJ's hair. Made me try out spiking mine. Unfortunately, with curly hair, spiking is a bitch.

Anyway, I really like Willie Nelson. And I dig the western vibe of this episode. Big fan of Steve Buscemi in this. A friend of mine and me have an injoke. We say to each other:Ya know what I like about you? Not a damn thing.

Overall this is a damn solid episode. The finale could've been better and the flashbacks are a little hokey. However, this is just too enjoyable.

9/10