Don Johnson Joins Quentin Tarantino’s DJANGO UNCHAINED

DefinitelyCrockett

Don Johnson Joins Quentin Tarantino’s DJANGO UNCHAINEDIn a teaming up of the old with the new, Quentin Tarantino has cast Miami Vice TV series star Don Johnson opposite Miami Vice crap movie star Jamie Foxx in Django Unchained. Showblitz reports that Johnson has been cast in the pic, though details on his role are unknown at this time. Foxx stars the titular Django, a freed slave to teams up with a German bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) in order to rescue his wife from an evil plantation owner (Leonardo DiCaprio). The very Tarantino-esque cast thus far is nothing short of stellar, with Kurt Russell, M.C. Gainey, Dennis Christopher, Gerald McRaney, Laura Cayouette, and Samuel L. Jackson all poised to star. Production is set to get underway in New Orleans soon. Django Unchained opens December 25th, 2012.http://collider.com/don-johnson-django-unchained/119977/

Thanks for the link DefinitelyCrockett :D This is so exciting! Yeah for Don!! I have thought so many times how great it would be for Don to be in Quentin Tarantino film :thumbsup:

At least this time he sounds like he'll be in a quality production, with quality name actors. He is under utilized. He's really a good actor.

At least this time he sounds like he'll be in a quality production' date=' with quality name actors. He is under utilized. He's really a good actor.[/quote']That's right, Coop!

Agree with you Coop :thumbsup:Here's some other reports on the same topic:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118044281Tarantino taps Don Johnson for 'Django'Johnson joins 'Miami Vice' star Jaime Foxx in Western ensembleBy Justin KrollQuentin Tarantino has gone back to the TV archives with his latest casting for "Django Unchained," bringing "Miami Vice" and "Nash Bridges" star Don Johnson to the ensemble.Johnson joins a cast that already includes Jaime Foxx (who played Ricardo Tubbs in the "Miami Vice" movie, incidentally), Leonardo DiCaprio, Christoph Waltz and Kurt Russell. Gerald McRainey, who is best known for his roles on "Major Dad" and "Deadwood," is also on board.Story follows a slave-turned-bounty hunter (Foxx) on a mission to rescue his wife from her sadistic slavemaster. Johnson will play a wealthy southern plantation owner who Django and Schultz meet in their pursuit of a bounty.The pic will be distributed domestically by The Weinstein Company and overseas by Sony Pictures.Stacey Sher, Pilar Savone and Reginald Hudlin will produce. Harvey Weinstein, Michael Shamberg and Jim Skotchdopole are exec producing.Tarantino has a knack for unique casting, but in the case of Johnson, it was a little harder to nail his pick down than he originally expected: Sources say Tarantino had always been a fan of Johnson from his "Miami Vice" days, and very much wanted him for this part. Johnson was a fan of Tarantino and the script, but didn't feel it was for him. After a courtship that lasted several months, Johnson finally decided to give in and do it.Johnson is repped by Gersh and Untitled Entertainment.-------------------------------------------http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Don-Johnson-May-Join-Quentin-Tarantino-Django-Unchained-27265.htmlDon Johnson May Join Quentin Tarantino's Django UnchainedThe friendship between Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez is no secret. In addition to working together on From Dusk Till Dawn, Grindhouse and Four Rooms, Tarantino directed a scene in Sin City and Rodriguez wrote the music for Kill Bill Vol. 2. The friends also have a habit of using the same actors, with Steve Buscemi having major roles in both Reservoir Dogs and Desperado, and Harvey Keitel starring in both Dogs and Pulp Fiction as well as the aforementioned Dusk Till Dawn. Now another name has joined those ranks. Don Johnson, who many saw last in Rodriguez's Machete, is has been offered a role in Tarantino's upcoming Django Unchained, according to Deadline. He joins a cast that already includes Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kurt Russell, Samuel L. Jackson, M.C. Gainey, Gerald McRaney, Dennis Christopher and Laura Cayouette. Should he sign on, Johnson would play a plantation owner named Spencer Bennett who keeps a "stable" of black prostitutes. The story follows an escaped slave named Django (Foxx) who teams up with a German bounty hunter (Waltz) to take revenge against his former owner (DiCaprio) and rescue his wife. The film is scheduled to be released on December 25, 2012 and will go into production this fall. Considering that Johnson's most recent film credit is the universally panned Bucky Larson: Born To Be A Star, one can imagine that he'll be more than happy to sign on to work with a stellar director like Quentin Tarantino. Now if only they would cast Django's wife, Broomhilda, already. ----------------------------------------------------------http://www.movieweb.com/news/django-unchained-lands-don-johnsonDjango Unchained Lands Don JohnsonActor Don Johnson is in talks to join director Quentin Tarantino's Western Django Unchained. The actor will portray a plantation owner named Spencer Bennett, who runs into Django (Jamie Foxx) and the German bounty hunter Schultz (Christoph Waltz) as they search for Django's wife. Bennett is also said to oversee a stable of black prostitutes he calls "ponies." Quentin Tarantino has reportedly been courting Don Johnson for several months, and it seems the actor finally gave in. Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, Gerald McRaney, Dennis Christopher, Kurt Russell, and Laura Cayouette also star in Django Unchained.Quentin Tarantino is directing Django Unchained from his own original screenplay. Production is scheduled to begin later this fall.Django Unchained comes to theaters December 25th, 2012 and stars Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christoph Waltz, Samuel L. Jackson, Gerald McRaney, Dennis Christopher, Kurt Russell, Laura Cayouette. The film is directed by Quentin Tarantino.-------------------------------------------------------http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/don-johnson-has-been-offered-a-role-in-quentin-tarantinos-django-unchainedDon Johnson has been offered a role in Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchainedby: Niki Stephens Oct. 11, 2011 Let us celebrate Quentin Tarantino extending an offer to Don Johnson for a role in DJANGO UNCHAINED. Not to mention that it's also a role that would make Johnson a villain which is going to be bad ass.Tarantino wants Johnson to take the part of wealthy plantation owner Spencer Bennett. If the actor signs on he will join Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Samuel L. Jackson and the recently added Kurt Russell who replaced Kevin Costner.Deadline had the details on the role that Johnson would fill: "Bennett oversees a stable of “ponies,†which is an awful description for what is actually a group of attractive young black slave prostitutes. The liberated slave Django (Foxx) and his bounty hunter partner (Waltz) meet the plantation owner in pursuit of a bounty, and he turns the table on them."Johnson and Tarantino have been talking about getting the actor in on this project for some time now. Kurt Russell and Don Johnson together? My head just exploded.----------------------------------------------http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/quentin-tarantino-setting-don-johnson-for-django-unchained/Quentin Tarantino Setting Don Johnson For ‘Django Unchained’By MIKE FLEMING | Tuesday October 11, 2011 @ 6:38pm EDTDjango Unchained director Quentin Tarantino has offered the role of wealthy plantation owner Spencer Bennett to Don Johnson, and they are negotiating for Johnson to join a cast that includes Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Samuel L. Jackson and Kurt Russell. The picture shoots this fall with The Weinstein Company distributing domestically and Sony foreign. Tarantino is always good for a surprise or two when he goes beyond the obvious casting lists and taps talent from his memory banks, something he has done with the likes of John Travolta and the late David Carradine. Putting the former Miami Vice and Nash Bridges star into a villainous role here seems inspired. The liberated slave Django (Foxx) and his bounty hunter partner (Waltz) meet the evil plantation owner in pursuit of a bounty, and he turns the table on them. Tarantino has been talking to Johnson some time about the role. Johnson most recently played a character called Miles Deep in the recent comedy Bucky Larson: Born To Be A Star, but soon his most recent credit will be a big Tarantino film.

This is serious fantastic news. For years I have said that the one person who would be perfect for bringing new life in DJ´s career is Quentin Tarantino. Look what he did with Travolta, Willis, Harvey Keitel, Pam Greer and many others. This guy has a great feeling for underused actors, and Don is definitely one of them. Hope this does wonders to his career.Excellent news, hope his role is big enough.I am sure Don will be ace in this.

Thanks for the link DefinitelyCrockett :D This is so exciting! Yeah for Don!! I have thought so many times how great it would be for Don to be in Quentin Tarantino film :thumbsup:

I had quite the opposite feeling while reading this thread... like "now I'll have to watch Tarantino's movie... eeewwww..." :eek: (It's a matter of taste, of course, so I didn't mean to offend anyone). But I'm also very happy for Don, Tarantino's films are usually successful (or so I've heard), and I hope this one will become a well-deserved rise of his career. :thumbsup::clap::happy:I wonder why he didn't wan't this part and had to be "courted" for a long time? Of course it's a "bad guy" part but it seems he didn't have any problem with playing bad guys before.

And just one more thing... could anyone please explain the meaning of the expression "to turn the table on..." to me? It was in the article, but I'm not sure I understand it correctly.

I had quite the opposite feeling while reading this thread... like "now I'll have to watch Tarantino's movie... eeewwww..." :eek: (It's a matter of taste' date=' of course, so I didn't mean to offend anyone). But I'm also very happy for Don, Tarantino's films are usually successful (or so I've heard), and I hope this one will become a well-deserved rise of his career. :thumbsup::clap::happy:I wonder why he didn't wan't this part and had to be "courted" for a long time? Of course it's a "bad guy" part but it seems he didn't have any problem with playing bad guys before.[/quote']I've never seen a Tarantino movie, but I know what it means in Hollywood. Look at the cast. Don's getting a headline article because of it. "Courting" is part of the process. It's All Good for Don :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...