Episode 27 - Buddies

miamijimf

Yes, I used to bump into Lothaire Bluteu or whatever his name is from One Way Ticket all the time.  He's a real nice dude. 

I met Morales at the premiere for the movie "3 Days to Kill" last week."  I actually met him several years ago one night when we were at the same club.  Esai was cool then and even cooler last week.  Really nice dude.

You must be in the LA area then? Pretty neat to be running into these kinds of characters at local establishments.

Wonder if they would be interested in relaying any behind the scenes stories from Vice days?

• 5 months later...

Eingefügtes Bild Was watching a dvd last night and saw this footage of a motel. and you say of course you did cause you were watching Buddies.. But I was not. I was watching The Rockford Files. Season 1 episode titled The Big Ripoff with a very young Suzanne Somers. Rockford was canvassing motels looking for someone and we saw this exact same footage. So I always suspected it was stock California footage and now its confirmed. It is at least as old as Rockford which used it on 10/25/1974

• Like 3

Eingefügtes Bild Was watching a dvd last night and saw this footage of a motel. and you say of course you did cause you were watching Buddies.. But I was not. I was watching The Rockford Files. Season 1 episode titled The Big Ripoff with a very young Suzanne Somers. Rockford was canvassing motels looking for someone and we saw this exact same footage. So I always suspected it was stock California footage and now its confirmed. It is at least as old as Rockford which used it on 10/25/1974

Great Jeremy - of all the low budget motels/ hotels in Miami Im suprised this stock footage was slotted in but was done so in post production in Hollywood. 

The Corsair Hotel ( "Sons and Lovers" and the 1967 Frank Sinatra film "Tony Rome"  ) could have quite easily been slotted in  :D

I watched Tony Rome last night - loved the footage around The Corsair and not clearly in the bg must have been the Motel Leonard Dorothys motel .

This is from Jeremy's site a still from Tony Rome and The Corsair / beach behind similar angle seen in "Death and the Lady " :D

http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net/wpimages/wp0_wp6b373808.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In his location guide for Buddies, C Glide says the final clip of the shootout at Dorothy's motel was probably filmed near the studio.

wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wpad54808b.png

That makes a lot of sense.  I think I've identified the background building:

Buddies1.png

Buddies2.png

This is the Bayview Towers Condominium at 2150 Sans Souci Blvd. Muriel Goldman drives by them in her Corvette in "The Home Invaders" and then panics as Crockett & Castillo pull up next to her.

I haven't pinpointed the road the car is driving on, but it would be headed eastbound.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it is an alley running east from NE 16th Ave just south of NE 123rd Street by the studio but I will have to do more research. Looks good though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 06/01/2016 at 6:53 AM, C Glide said:

I believe it is an alley running east from NE 16th Ave just south of NE 123rd Street by the studio but I will have to do more research. Looks good though.

Yes this scene was filmed in an alley next to the studio          ( now a driveway to new condos) or directly in the front of the NE 16th Ave studio gates at Nw22nd street and NE 16th Ave .

It has had some development in that area and all background buildings except the San Souci condos have gone !

Edited by Matt5

• 9 months later...

The Carillion in North Beach was used for some interiors in this episode (exteriors also seen in Season 1s “One Eyed Jack”) - here is a nice view circa 1960s:hippie::thumbsup:

41548C60-E661-4B52-BDD4-C2796AE52CDE.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

The Sanctuary (Robbie’s club) in Season 2s “Buddies” (exteriors only) on James Avenue in Miami Beach has gone out of business and now empty I noticed recently. This place was heaving in 2014 and 2017 just like it was in the fall of 1985.:)

Edited by Matt5

12 hours ago, Matt5 said:

The Sanctuary (Robbie’s club) in Season 2s “Buddies” (exteriors only) on James Avenue in Miami Beach has gone out of business and now empty I noticed recently. This place was heaving in 2014 and 2017 just like it was in the fall of 1985.:)

It'll be back. New name, new people. But it'll be back. Hell, this is the Sunshine State, right?  :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2017 at 8:57 PM, Matt5 said:

Yes this scene was filmed in an alley next to the studio ( now a driveway to new condos) or directly in the front of the NE 16th Ave studio gates at NW 122nd street and NE 16th Ave .

It has had some development in that area and all background buildings except the San Souci condos have gone !

OK, I previously had some other ideas, but none of them stand up to scrutiny.  Your idea is by far the best one.

Buddies4.png.432be298e638d86c2e1feeb117f9c8d5.png

The tree growing over the road matches perfectly.   Perhaps the white building that looks like a trailer is actually the red circled building?  Was that the Biscayne Bar and Grill?

Buddies3.png.a1308d8c0dd027092667444173d1dca0.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 4:30 AM, airtommy said:

OK, I previously had some other ideas, but none of them stand up to scrutiny.  Your idea is by far the best one.

Buddies4.png.432be298e638d86c2e1feeb117f9c8d5.png

The tree growing over the road matches perfectly.   Perhaps the white building that looks like a trailer is actually the red circled building?  Was that the Biscayne Bar and Grill?

Buddies3.png.a1308d8c0dd027092667444173d1dca0.png

Yes it was airtommy - also the spot Crockett stood at the phone box in “Victims of Circumstance” (we also see the Holiday Inn you mentioned behind Crockett from the Tubbs night drive in “Whatever Works”).

9884B5B5-9C76-45C7-9037-747FAC8F64FD.jpeg

Edited by Matt5

• 2 years later...

@C Glide @Matt5 @airtommy @miamijimfrare mid 80s photos from Biscayne Baby (real name was singular!) at the second floor of the Mayfair complex (3336 Virginia Street, Coconut Grove) that was in the teaser of this episode. The exterior photo is from 1985 (comparison today attached), the interior from Halloween 1987. The interior shows the same room VICE filmed in with the screen capture match below.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1988-05-06-8801280289-story.html

P.S. for Europeans who get blocked by the Sentinel website, I attached the most important part of the article as a screenshot below.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-18 um 14.04.49.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-18 um 14.05.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-18 um 14.11.31.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-18 um 15.04.04.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-18 um 15.12.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-18 um 15.19.34.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...