Episode 27 - Buddies

miamijimf

Posted: 20 September 2006 at 2:12am by airtommy I spent some time trying to figure out the car chase near the end, when Crockett chases his buddy Robbie Cann. One particular building was giving me fits. I was looking at brochures and everything, because I could tell it was a landmark. The breakthrough came when Matt identified Robbie's club as The Sanctuary. After seeing that, I scanned the area on satellite and found the building I was hunting for: the Jackie Gleason Theater. Robbie's club: The Sanctuary Hotel 1745 James Ave. Miami BeachEingefügtes BildCannata's club: The Shelborne 1801 Collins Avenue Miami BeachEingefügtes BildPosted: 20 September 2006 at 2:20am by airtommyPicture A Yellow X = Shelborne Red X = Sanctuary Blue X = Jackie Gleason Theater Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildPosted: 20 September 2006 at 2:32am by airtommy OK, the scene starts in Picture A at the red X. That is Robbie's club. Robbie pulls out of the parking lot across the street from the club, and then Crockett gets into his car (which is parked on the street) and chases him. Now we jump to Picture B: After a little bit of driving, Crockett suddenly appears on Collins Ave northbound, crossing 27th St. Still on Collins, he goes to 29th St. and enters the mild ess-curve. Now we jump back to Picture A: All of a sudden they are racing through the driveway of the Jackie Gleason Theater (blue X), turning left onto Hank Meyer Blvd. Eingefügtes BildAs they race down Hank Meyer Blvd, you can see a pink lit building on the left (marked with the pink X). This is Temple Emanu-El at 1701 Washington Ave. Eingefügtes BildAfter some more driving, they are back on Collins, this time exiting the ess-curve at 29th St. Now, they head north on Collins almost all the way to the famous 44th St. ess-curve (Fontainebleu). At the 44:20 mark on the DVD, if you look closely on the right you can see the Howard Johnson Plaza Caribbean near 38th St. But, they DO NOT go through the Fontainebleu ess-curve. Instead, they suddenly jump to Indian Creek Dr. SOUTHbound at 26th St., and they go through the curve there. I don't know where the scene ends (with Crockett spinning out). I suspect the first part of this ending is filmed on Collins southbound but north of 44th, and then the second part is filmed northbound in the same area. There are a few clips which I could not identify, so feel free to chime in. Posted: 20 September 2006 at 5:06am by MATT5Originally posted by airtommy Now we jump back to Picture A: All of a sudden they are racing through the driveway of the Jackie Gleason Theater (blue X), turning left onto Hank Meyer Blvd. On their left is a flamboyant pink lit building, which I have marked with the pink X. Does anyone know what this is? That building is a I believe a Jewish Temple and you see it clearly in Buddies. The car chase seems really accurate - I scouted that area in June and Collins 26/27th Street buildings/hotels are pretty much the same as they were in 1985. Posted: 20 September 2006 at 2:40pm by airtommy Thanks Matt, I updated my post with the Temple info and two more pics. Posted: 08 December 2006 at 7:38pm by DanJIt looks to me like Crockett spins out right in front of the Fontainebleau. BTW did y'all notice that the mural had not been painted when they filmed this chase scene?Posted: 08 December 2006 at 7:41pm by MATT5Yeah come to think of it - I did notice that. It think it was just past the Fontainebleau /Eden Roc on Collins Northbound in the intersection in the road. Shame Mural gone.

Posted: 08 December 2006 at 8:57pm by DanJI always dug Miami Vice because it showcased Miami so well, especially the first two years. This screen capture from "Buddies" illustrates my point, and as far as I'm concerned makes this episode totally worth checking out:Eingefügtes BildThis is from the end chase scene. The street is Collins Avenue between 20th and 21st Streets. The Gayety Burlesque is in the background at 20th street, and we see Wolfie's yellow "W" in the foreground on the right edge of the shot. In between are various shops, including "La Rumba" in blue letters. We have seen this block in several MV eps, from different angles and such.Unfortunately this stretch has been torn down to make way for a new condo project (I watched one day as demolition crews tore down the Gayety Burlesque, but not before I got a few pictures of the building). The good news is that, as of this writing, the corner entrance to Wolfie's still stands and it looks like it will be incorporated into the new construction, along with the facade of Fan & Bill's restaurant which was west of Wolfie's along 21st Street. Check out these pic's that nmathews took on her recent trip to South Beach:Eingefügtes BildWolfie's corner entrance, Collins & 21st StreetEingefügtes BildTile Logo on the floor of Wolfie's main entrance (Photo by Yours Truly, using nmathews' camera)Eingefügtes BildLooking through outer perimeter fence into Wolfie's Construction SiteIn case you haven't already seen it, I wrote a story about nmathews' recent visit to South Beach in the Travel forum. To read it, click here then scroll down a bit.Posted: 16 January 2007 at 1:06am by airtommySome info and pics of Temple Emanuel Posted: 24 October 2007 at 4:47pm by MATT5Originally posted by CarolineUK"Seeing the Shelborne's lit sign a month ago when I was in Miami, really took me back to how the city was over 25 years ago."Yeah that sign takes you straight back to "Buddies" with the various shots of it in the episode. Unchanged , I believe , since 1985. The interior scenes of the Shelbourne were shot further up Collins at a now demolished hotel . SoflaJeremy knows the exact one Posted: 20 March 2008 at 9:53pm by SOFLAJEREMYI am watching buddies now and noticed that the night driving scene as they head to Robbies' place is the same location used in Out Where The Buses Don't Run outside the Coast Gaurd station. Probably filmed at same time. This is the church where the baptism is held. Eingefügtes BildPosted: 02 May 2008 at 4:49pm by Kristy&RichWhere is this church please Solflajeremy? Is it in Coral Gables? It looks a bit like one we saw. Posted: 05 May 2008 at 3:54pm by Tom71it´s St.Mary´s Cathedral, 7525 NW 2nd Ave Posted: 31 May 2008 at 7:42am by MATT5Originally posted by DaytonVicer"The motel in the final scene looked like a set to me. So did Monty Price's suite and Robbie Cann's office. Likely all filmed at Greenwich Studios." Yes, I agree they looked like sets to me too in " Buddies " . The idea of the Motel in the final scene was that it was on Collins Ave past 44th St (Fontainbleau Hilton ) past where Crockett skidded on the way to stop Robbie.( see link below ) http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=n92k1589pr0h&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=9277633&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1Posted: 31 May 2008 at 8:34am by gustafson Thanks. Thanks for that great map link to. Posted: 31 May 2008 at 7:33pm by MATT5Your'e welcome . Incidentally at the road turn in front of the Fontainbleau ( and former Fontainbleau Mural ) is where the White Testorossa turning scene is from the show opening credits ( Season 3-5 ) and seen in "Killshot" to "Freefall "

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I just published Buddies on my location web site. http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net:done:

Just watched this one again with "Junk Love" - some interesting locations in this episode. In particular The Carillion - how they filmed the exterior as The Shelbourne - the comedy club / dressing room in The Carillion and the girl/lobby scene in The Barcelona up on Collins. The Carillion has been extended and updated in recent years as a ranch resort but I noticed the old Carillion sign was up last year . Has anyone been in The Carillion ?:D

Just watched this one again with "Junk Love" - some interesting locations in this episode. In particular The Carillion - how they filmed the exterior as The Shelbourne - the comedy club / dressing room in The Carillion and the girl/lobby scene in The Barcelona up on Collins. The Carillion has been extended and updated in recent years as a ranch resort but I noticed the old Carillion sign was up last year . Has anyone been in The Carillion ?:D

I went inside years ago when it was gutted.

• 1 year later...

Great locations - how interesting they used The Carillion and The Barcelona as interiors for the hotel interior ( The Shelbourne was the exterior ) - the teaser location is listed clearly on SoflaJeremy's great site - anybody know anyhing about the Coconut Grove location ?:thumbsup::):D:balloon:

• 1 month later...

Interesting Matt. Too bad these posts won't show up on the home page because this is an old topic.

Thankyou so much Jim - I found it particularly valid as so little is known about Biscayne Baby's in Coconut Grove :balloon::hippie:

Thankyou so much Jim - I found it particularly valid as so little is known about Biscayne Baby's in Coconut Grove :balloon::hippie:

Yes Matt, I believe this is where Cocowalk is located now.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The Christening Scene was filmed at St Mary's off 79th Street in Miami at 7525 NW 2nd Avenue - visited this site yesterday and completely unchanged from 1985 - a beautiful location. The lady I spoke to remebered MV filming there in the fall of 1985 and Don Johnson directed the scene even though seasoned tv director Harry Mastrogeorge was credited with the episode. They filmed for over half a day which was a lot for an unspoken 2 minute sequence . The crew was quite large with Don Johnson in control of the scene. :D  :fireworks:  :done:

• Like 3

The Christening Scene was filmed at St Mary's off 79th Street in Miami at 7525 NW 2nd Avenue - visited this site yesterday and completely unchanged from 1985 - a beautiful location. The lady I spoke to remebered MV filming there in the fall of 1985 and Don Johnson directed the scene even though seasoned tv director Harry Mastrogeorge was credited with the episode. They filmed for over half a day which was a lot for an unspoken 2 minute sequence . The crew was quite large with Don Johnson in control of the scene. :D  :fireworks:  :done:

NICE

Great info, Matt5!  I watched Buddies for the first time in a long time this past week.  I sorta neglected the episode, but upon rediscovering it, I really like it.  Great Jan music and I really like how the close range shootout is staged with Crockett where he picks off the bad guys in bang-bang fashion.

I need to add St. Mary's to my list of things to check out in Miami, however small that scene was.  How cool to be able to visit a preserved location.

• Like 3

NICE

Thanks Jeremy spent a day in South Miami last week and visited-

"The Big Thaw" drive on SW27th 

"Cell Within" bookstore in Coral Gables- 296 Aragon Ave from the teaser

" Made for Each Other" Bonzo Barries now Pearl

"Nobody Lives ../ " " Home Invaders" - JJs now an Irish bar still recognizable

"Tale of the Goat" tail scenes on Sw82nd and Cheryl Lane

"Back in the World"  625 Leucendra Drive 

"Bought and Paid For" 120 Arvida Parkway

"Sons and Lovers" Angelinas/safe house

Good day  :D  :fireworks:

Edited by Matt5

Great info, Matt5!  I watched Buddies for the first time in a long time this past week.  I sorta neglected the episode, but upon rediscovering it, I really like it.  Great Jan music and I really like how the close range shootout is staged with Crockett where he picks off the bad guys in bang-bang fashion.

I need to add St. Mary's to my list of things to check out in Miami, however small that scene was.  How cool to be able to visit a preserved location.

Thankyou - you should it was a great experience and a great episode . :D  :)

Hey, wait a minute!  Why hasn't anyone called out the dude next to me in my new avatar?!?!  Hahaha!  Perhaps I should've saved it for a thread regarding a certain other episode.

Hey, wait a minute!  Why hasn't anyone called out the dude next to me in my new avatar?!?!  Hahaha!  Perhaps I should've saved it for a thread regarding a certain other episode.

I cant quite see ! A clue ?!!  :D  :)  :fireworks:

Avatar is small and blurry but I would say it looks like Esai Morales guest star in "God's Work"

You are correct!  I met him a few nights ago.  I said, "I thought you were awesome in The Home Invaders."  He was blown away I called him out for that episode.  He was really cool.  He waited until my girlfriend snapped about five pics and was happy with the one you see as my avatar.  Perhaps I need to crop it and make it bigger.

Pretty cool, and he was in two Vice eps. How did you meet this guy and moreover, how did you recognize him?

Didn't you also meet the guy in One way Ticket,  who played Phillipe Sagot?

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Pretty cool, and he was in two Vice eps. How did you meet this guy and moreover, how did you recognize him?

Didn't you also meet the guy in One way Ticket,  who played Phillipe Sagot?

Yes, I used to bump into Lothaire Bluteu or whatever his name is from One Way Ticket all the time.  He's a real nice dude. 

I met Morales at the premiere for the movie "3 Days to Kill" last week."  I actually met him several years ago one night when we were at the same club.  Esai was cool then and even cooler last week.  Really nice dude.

• Like 1