Episode #50 "Shadow In The Dark"

Ferrariman

I really liked this episode.DJ was acting really verry goodThe music was very well choosen.( But when I saw it a little while ago I stil got a little bit scared :o)

• 1 month later...

this is better than manhunter and one of my favourite all time episodes. I gave it a 10. love the way Sonny goes to the edge of sanity and returns.... just

Better than Manhunter?, that may well be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard

• 4 months later...

This is an awesome creepy, freaky episode--and definitely one of the more bizarre ones of "MV!" This is why I love it...I love spooky, bizarre, mind-challenging, supernatural episodes (except "Missing Hours"--which I think is the worst episode of the whole series!!) and "Shadow In the Dark" is a superb one of these! I gave it a "9".Yes, it originally aired on Halloween night 1986 and I'm sure they purposely saved and/or planned on that episode airing on that night considering the plot and topic. Awesome marketing ploy, in my opinion! What makes it even more scary and freaky is that it's based on an actual true case that a cop worked on once...and then later wrote a book about it! The fact that a lot of or all of this episode really happened is the scariest aspect to me!Oh yeah...the only thing I didn't really get was the "Shadow's" bizarre fish-like mouth actions?? What was that all about or was it really that important?Anyway, I'm hungry. Hmmm...screw Arby's--I'm thinkin' raw steak and flour tonight!! :p

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the best episodes of the third season !!!:thumbsup:Dark, styled and dangerous !:clap::clap:Donnie shows how a wonderful actor he is, one of his best performances, I think.When I saw the episode for the first time, I worried about him very very much.:clap:He is a cop who is endangered to get obsessed of a difficult case very easily. Rico is a different kind of cop. He knows to draw the line between work and freetime or life. Due to Sonnys workaholism, he often coudn´t differ between these so things I think.Very good dialogs shows Shadow in the Dark, emotional and deep going !:clap:We also see that VICE is one its top of popularity. Each scene is detailed elaborated and be peppered with styled housed, interiors, clothes, plants etc - fantastic.Really good music by Jan Hammer - Shadow in the Dark which is very threatening.Typical episode of the third year.100 of 100 points !

Shadow in the Dark, emotional and deep going !:clap:We also see that VICE is one it´s top of popularity. Each scene is detailed elaborated and be peppered with styled housed, interiors, clothes, plants etc - fantastic.Really good music by Jan Hammer - Shadow in the Dark which is very threatening.Typical episode of the third year.100 of 100 points !

Completely agree!! One of the best episodes of not only 3rd season but of the series!! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Shadow in the DarkI felt like watching one of my favourite Vice episodes and chose Shadow in the Dark. I think that Sonny is acting his role in this episode extremely well, the way that he puts everything into the case and especially into the way that the prowler is thinking.It's quite a intense episode to watch,but brilliant in the end when he get's his guy.I'll definitely give it a 10, what do u guys think?Later

• 3 weeks later...

The creepiest Vice episode, and the best example of the darker turn the series took at that point. Seeing Sonny become completely unhinged by the assignment, sleep deprived, obsessed, was something else. The redeeming part of it is that going slowly mad from the job is what led him to catching the prowler in the end!Does anyone know if DJ was nominated or considered for the Emmy for this episode? The diner scene between he and EJO is classic. :clap:

• 2 months later...

"Shadow in the Dark" is one of the best dark episode. Don was great in this episode. Cat Burglar was crazy freak.

This episode originally aired October 31, 1986.Plan to give it a spin this Sunday, along with all the horror films I'll be watching.Anyone else?

"y'know it's funny when ya work all night.. world gets kinda outta sync with ya... it's like you can just... sneak up on it!"

Absolutely awesom line and it is so true when you pull an all-nighter. This is an episode that I kind of liked at first and absolutely love in subsequent viewings. My top 3 episodes from Season 3 and cracks the top 10 of the series in my opinion. By this point, there was a lot of rehashing of scores so it was great to hear a totally original score. The only downside in my opinion is when they catch the guy, his actions as he "attacks" the lady only to get wrecked by Sonny is sort of silly though Sonny's using his face as a punching bag is awesome. I also thought the girl in the hospital was weak:"What was he wearing?""A shirt I think."Seriously that's all you can remember? She did say she wet herself which I guess let's you know how scared she was but seriously you couldn't give them anything else? I know its not a typical MV episode but DJ's acting was possibly his best in the series as he went the full range of emotions from skeptical to annoyed to obsessive to the ultimate release of anger and then trauma. The scene from dawn to meeting Marty at the coffee shop to the dream sequence is just a magnficient piece of escapism.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Definitely one of best episodes of S3 and on my all time faves list for the entire series. Watched it this past Halloween and it will be a staple for future ones.Very dark, surreal and creepy.

• 3 months later...

oh oh, my Sonny going wacko :D dont know why but I had to laugh a lot, was kinda funny but also kinda scary. Dont quite understand why vice worked this (nut)case. But I really think this was quite a good acting job by DJ so I gave it a 7. Not a typical ep, but I like something different sometimes.

• 6 months later...

Giving this one the Halloween bump. Although I'm almost too late. I suppose a decent Halloween night could be made of this, Tale of the Goat, Whatever Works and the creepy babydoll one from, what, S5?

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite Vice episodes. It has the look and feel of a theatrical release. It shares the Manhunter plot, but covers the same ground in half the time. I think the producers did a fantastic job.

this has got to be the most suspenseful episode of all. I watched it late in the evening and couldn't sleep the whole night. That cat really freaked me out. Still one of my favorites.I'll stick with my old rating on .org. 10/10

Thanks for this survey!:thumbsup::clap: In my profile is still shown 'Payback' OR 'Shadow in the dark' shown as favorite episode. No! I have to edit this ... ABSOLUTELY! For me, this episode is the best of all. Don shows an incredibly good acting job! I love this 'mysterious' story - it's perfect!In so far my voting is a smooth 10!

I loved this episode and rated it 9/10.It was such an unusual episode, with an eerie, dark edge. I was completely glued to the screen from the beginning to the end.Don Johnson gave a stellar performance and it was fascinating to watch the character become completely immersed in the case. The score for 'Shadow In The Dark', captured the mood so well and is a favourite Jan Hammer tune of mine.The raw meat, flour and the cat burglar opening and closing his mouth, stuck in my head for days, after watching this episode!

• 5 months later...

Very good episode different from the same old same old. I liked how invested Crockett got with 'The Shadow." Overall great episode!!:clap: