Episode #50 "Shadow In The Dark"

Ferrariman

• 3 months later...
On 2/3/2019 at 4:45 PM, summer84 said:

xDIiIyR.jpg?1

I did a side by side pic comparison. Even though I'm not sure, (like I was with the recent Garcelle Beauvais actress discovery in "The Great McCarthy") I see a similarity in her face, when looking at the eyes. I can't rule it out entirely. It could possibly be the same actress. 

On 8/12/2019 at 1:23 PM, RedDragon86 said:

She definitely made an appearance in "Glades" as the courtroom typist. 

Image result for miami vice glades

Actually, I’m fairly certain that neither of these 3 are the same actress, although they look somewhat similar in these scene-clips. 

Kay Ingram played Mrs. Taylor...the female/mom victim in the beginning of “The Home Invaders”. Online says this was her one & only TV appearance...in this episode.

I’m thinking actress Diana James is the actress from “Shadow In the Dark”...as it lists her name as the ‘young female victim’.

As for who played the courtroom typist in “Glades”...not sure? She’s not credited or listed anywhere that I could find. Another of those quirky MV cast mysteries...I’m discovering that many times with MV, small bit parts were not always credited or listed with cast—sometimes not even in the ‘uncredited’ section. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’m thinking actress Diana James is the actress from “Shadow In the Dark”...as it lists her name as the ‘young female victim’.

I thought she was the one who “wet the bed”. ?(
Or did we already resolve that before?

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

You could be right...maybe that was the ‘female victim’ she played? It was kind of vague on which one she was.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watching this one again tonight. It never fails to freak me out, and the “bizarre” of it has always fascinated me. I’ve stated this before, but one reason I love watching it is I remember seeing it when it first aired. I was spending the night at my best friend’s house, and that night it was storming outside. After the episode and we went to bed, I kept thinking if I look out the window when the lightning flashes and ‘Shadow/Fish-Mouth’ is there with his floured face I will die of a heart attack before he even gets inside, lol! :)

Anyway, I can’t remember if I’ve brought up this particular aspect before...but as an adult watching it, there’s one unrealistic, strange thing Crockett does towards the beginning that I don’t think anyone would do—he sticks his finger on one of the lipstick drawings that Shadow has done on the wall...I’m assuming to see the texture or consistency of what it might be (as right at first he probably didn’t know it was lipstick, and was checking to see if it was blood, or marker, or something else). 

Nowadays you would not touch aspects of the crime scene before CSI came in to determine what everything was, and gather all the evidence. However, back in the 80s that wasn’t really done as much, but I still question him just reaching out and touching it. But, the most bizarre and strange thing that still shocks me that he did, was after he touched it...he then puts his finger in his mouth!! :eek: 

Even in the 80s...who tastes their crime scene when you don’t exactly know what it is yet?? :wuerg: This wasn’t a piece of Shadow’s version of a chicken fried steak (raw of course...but that was even in a different room) :p...it was red creepy drawings on a wall! For all Crockett knew, it was blood! I’ve read & heard before by cops, that even when TV shows in the 70s & 80s had cops taking some ‘coke’ on their finger and tasting it to see if it was the real thing—or what grade it was, was totally fake & unrealistic. They said no cop would ever put evidence or something from a crime scene in their mouth...especially when they didn’t really know where it came from, or what all was in it! 

I love this episode, and it’s one of my favorites of the show, but I still am a little surprised at & question this particular scene, lol! But...gotta go with it & it’s still amazing. :thumbsup:

F76287BA-DA6F-4D22-8481-E899B1113081.thumb.jpeg.2ffbce561b6174a2ab55905cc33328b1.jpeg

“Hmmm...tastes like steak tartare!” :p

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 4

@ViceFanMan as I’ve probably stated before, this is one of the few episodes that has the same effect on me as the first time every time I watch it. In that regard, it’s right there with the pilot for me—which is pretty special. :fireworks:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The aspect I like the most in this is Sonny at times has these dream sequences, like he is in an alternate reality.

I think those dreams are the reason he loses touch of reality in a short space of time. 

I don't know if there is a connection or if it was intended but in the Sonny Burnett Arc those weird dreams return, like they are in his psyche. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

The aspect I like the most in this is Sonny at times has these dream sequences, like he is in an alternate reality.

I think those dreams are the reason he loses touch of reality in a short space of time. 

I don't know if there is a connection or if it was intended but in the Sonny Burnett Arc those weird dreams return, like they are in his psyche. 

The episode kind of “feels” like it’s an alternate reality or dream sequence...but actually the only dreams/nightmares Crockett has are when he fell asleep at his desk & dreamed some wild figure jumps over a wall at him, and at the very end when he dreams Shadow comes at him. But, the rest of the episode is supposedly reality...as bizarre as it may seem.

There was a dream sequence once during the Burnett episodes (the beach one), but the rest are memories Crockett’s mind is supposedly trying to remember. I wish that whole thing was just Sonny’s bizarre nightmare, and he suddenly awakes on the St. Vitus...and is so glad it was all just a dream, lol! It would help explain away the over-the-top ridiculousness of the Burnett arc, and how he suddenly was allowed to still be a cop again almost immediately...like nothing had really happened. :rolleyes: 

• Like 2

On 6/6/2022 at 6:11 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Watching this one again tonight. It never fails to freak me out, and the “bizarre” of it has always fascinated me. I’ve stated this before, but one reason I love watching it is I remember seeing it when it first aired. I was spending the night at my best friend’s house, and that night it was storming outside. After the episode and we went to bed, I kept thinking if I look out the window when the lightning flashes and ‘Shadow/Fish-Mouth’ is there with his floured face I will die of a heart attack before he even gets inside, lol! :)

Anyway, I can’t remember if I’ve brought up this particular aspect before...but as an adult watching it, there’s one unrealistic, strange thing Crockett does towards the beginning that I don’t think anyone would do—he sticks his finger on one of the lipstick drawings that Shadow has done on the wall...I’m assuming to see the texture or consistency of what it might be (as right at first he probably didn’t know it was lipstick, and was checking to see if it was blood, or marker, or something else). 

Nowadays you would not touch aspects of the crime scene before CSI came in to determine what everything was, and gather all the evidence. However, back in the 80s that wasn’t really done as much, but I still question him just reaching out and touching it. But, the most bizarre and strange thing that still shocks me that he did, was after he touched it...he then puts his finger in his mouth!! :eek: 

Even in the 80s...who tastes their crime scene when you don’t exactly know what it is yet?? :wuerg: This wasn’t a piece of Shadow’s version of a chicken fried steak (raw of course...but that was even in a different room) :p...it was red creepy drawings on a wall! For all Crockett knew, it was blood! I’ve read & heard before by cops, that even when TV shows in the 70s & 80s had cops taking some ‘coke’ on their finger and tasting it to see if it was the real thing—or what grade it was, was totally fake & unrealistic. They said no cop would ever put evidence or something from a crime scene in their mouth...especially when they didn’t really know where it came from, or what all was in it! 

I love this episode, and it’s one of my favorites of the show, but I still am a little surprised at & question this particular scene, lol! But...gotta go with it & it’s still amazing. :thumbsup:

F76287BA-DA6F-4D22-8481-E899B1113081.thumb.jpeg.2ffbce561b6174a2ab55905cc33328b1.jpeg

“Hmmm...tastes like steak tartare!” :p

I like how Gilmore is unfazed at what Sonny is doing. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I like how Gilmore is unfazed at what Sonny is doing. :)

I know, lol...Gilmore is so whacked out himself, that Crockett putting his finger in his mouth after touching the drawings doesn’t even phase him...I don’t even think he realized what Sonny did! :eek: 

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2022 at 7:43 AM, Dadrian said:

@DadrianBy the way, after watching this again the other night, I was able to determine that Diana James was the “young woman/young female victim” at the very end, that Shadow finally does attempt to kill. So, who the bed wetter was...not sure? She wasn’t listed in any of the cast lists. But, if I was her, I wouldn’t exactly want my name known as the ‘woman who wet the bed’ on a MV episode. :p 

F8073571-2803-4A97-9DD5-7007A7040C1B.jpeg

A8A73C99-D975-48E9-BFA4-53DA3AAA434F.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...

Watching the "Night Stalker" on Netflix at the minute, it really gives off the shame type chill's and frantic hunt (for that scumbag Ramirez) in this episode. Both detectives Salerno and Gill were both on the verge of breakdowns 6 month in and drinking heavily.

Remember Bren10 saying a while back it was loosely based on Richard Chase but I do think there is an element of Ramirez in this, especially with the public outcry of fear, the intense hunt and the break ins.

Just goes to show how well done this episode is, the atmosphere created is authentic.  

Chuck wrote a great script and Crowe did an excellent job directing, especially with the tone of atmosphere.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Watching the "Night Stalker" on Netflix at the minute, it really gives off the shame type chill's and frantic hunt (for that scumbag Ramirez) in this episode. Both detectives Salerno and Gill were both on the verge of breakdowns 6 month in and drinking heavily.

Remember Bren10 saying a while back it was loosely based on Richard Chase but I do think there is an element of Ramirez in this, especially with the public outcry of fear, the intense hunt and the break ins.

Just goes to show how well done this episode is, the atmosphere created is authentic.  

Chuck wrote a great script and Crowe did an excellent job directing, especially with the tone of atmosphere.

I watched Night Stalker on Netflix a while back...very freaky but interesting & well done, too! If you have ever heard of the Cecil Hotel & the bizarre/creepy history behind it (Netflix has a documentary on that place too & a girl who disappeared while staying there), Ramirez has ties to that place as well. 

As for the MV episode “Shadow in the Dark”, I do think it’s based off of a different real-life case...but there are definitely similarities between it & the Night Stalker one. Very creepy, but captivating! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...