DURAN DURAN

cageyJG

Duran Duran released 'Girl Panic' today from their new album. This production has all the new wave sophistication, star power and flair that made the 80s the greatest decade.

You know that....i can be wrong...but i think Duran Duran was a great influence to the Sonny Crockett´s fashion concept. I was watching "Save a Prayer" on you tube,we can see many white suits...

I'm in total agreement with ya man. Bands like Duran Duran, Japan, Roxy Music all ran around sporting business/gala attire. And 'Rio' had DD in all the pastel suits.

Oh, thanks for the reminder. I forgot how much I like their new album. I remember watching their live concert on YouTube with that weird fish eye camera.

Oh' date=' thanks for the reminder. I forgot how much I like their new album. I remember watching their live concert on YouTube with that weird fish eye camera.[/quote']I saw that concert too, I wonder why they brought back 'View to a Kill' and play it so often now. I like that they switch things up. How would you rank the last 3 albums (AYNIN, Red Carpet Massacre, Astronaut)?

http-~~-//youtu.be/sSMbOuNBV0s

Duran Duran released 'Girl Panic' today from their new album. This production has all the new wave sophistication' date=' star power and flair that made the 80s the greatest decade.[/quote']:clap::clap::clap:AWESOME SONG AND VIDEO! :glossy:I love the concept behind this video. It's great to see such an iconic eighties band powering on in the new millenium. :thumbsup:With a quality, catchy song and the glamour factor of the 'IT' girls, I hope this gives the boys a number one. :thumbsup:

I absolutely agree, what a great video and song, the concept is perfect!:thumbsup:I like that Duran Duran still have their own sound going, unlike other groups they stick to their sound and it is still as wonderful as it was in the 80's.Thanks CageyJG:cool:

I saw that concert too' date=' I wonder why they brought back 'View to a Kill' and play it so often now. I like that they switch things up. How would you rank the last 3 albums (AYNIN, Red Carpet Massacre, Astronaut)?[/quote']I think their last three albums are all varying degrees of pretty good, especially for an 80s act. What's funny is that the critics are going gaga for the newest one, and it's probably the one I like the least of the three. But I listen to all of them from time to time and haven't gotten bored.What I REALLY want to hear is the album they almost finished before "Red Carpet" came out -- the one that was supposed to be a real throwback to their 80s sound. They abandoned the project and went in the studio with Timbaland instead.

This is my opinion. That's all. I'm not an expert, I just listen and form an opinion. You also have to know that lyrics don't make me listen, it's the melodies, rythms, etc that do. I like the music and think of the voice as another instrument in the band. That being said, the following has no basis on lyrics.They have old songs I don't like. Most of their hits I do like, and several of the b side tracks I like too.For me, Astronaut was okay. It had, and I don't mean any disrespect by this, a dumbed down Duran Duran sound. What I mean is if some college students were trying to imitate Duran Duran 20 years after their early sounds, this is probably what they'd come up with. So it's nothing spectacular but it's at least something. Red Carpet Massacre was poor, I don't like a single tune from that one. Might as well have been Timbaland and Timberlake, it was no Duran Duran sound. All You Need Is Now is good. They have a sound that's trying to be ahead of the time, while at the same time is behind the times. Girl Panic is okay, I see Itunes people made that one real popular, but I like 'The man who stole a leopard' the most on this album. That's a cool sound to me. Also, 'A diamond in the mind' sound very cool, even though I don't really like the 'all you need is now' track.

Thanks to everyone who's been dropping in. I have no idea what happened to the old Duran Duran page. Maybe it was ancient history. I didn't like the title track off All You Need is Now, either. Man Who Stole a Leopard is frickin awesome, destined to be a crowd-pleaser like Rio and Hungry Like the Wolf.On Red Carpet Massacre, I liked The Valley, Nite Runner and Last Man Standing. That was intended to be a dance album, at first I was not happy about the collaboration but it's all good. V.C. - I had totally forgotten that talk about the album that was scrapped, do you know what happened to it? If you dig around on YouTube you start to find stuff, I really wish they'd get around to publishing some of the songs they scrapped like Matter of Fact.I saw the Astronaut tour in '05 and it was a blast. I liked What Happens Tomorrow and Finest Hour best. "Anthem rock."

• Like 1

Good thread. WHich album is "Reach Our for the Sunrise" on? I love that tune.Also, I saw Duran live about three summers ago. THey were terrific. All were in good shape and wore suits and it felt like they really put forth an effort instead of just going through the motions, collecting a check, and then taking the limo home.I was a big fan of the slow intro to "View to a Kill." A song I never really paid too much attention to before. Now, I only think of it in that slow burn fashion..."Night fall covers me..." Sounds like a Crockett line from the 4th season.

I can't find a whole lot about the abandoned album on the internet. It was to be titled "Reportage" and 14 songs were recorded for it. It was nearly finished. Only a little bit of one song has been leaked. Conflicting reports say either that Andy Taylor threatened legal action if they released it, OR that Duran dumping the album is what made him leave the band for a second time.

• 5 years later...

I'm a big fan of DD, but I don't think they will ever be the Super Bowl halftime show. 

I really enjoyed Lady Gaga's performance tonight! Regardless of how you feel about her or her music, it's hard to ignore all her talents. 

Back to DD, I could see them coming on stage as a "guest" for the main performer, similar to the way Lenny Kravitz did recently. That being said, there are LOTS of current artists whose music and careers have somehow been influenced by the power of the combination of music and video that Duran Duran almost single-handedly created. 

I would even say Gaga herself is a fan!

• Like 1