Neil Schon from Journey and Jan Hammer

cageyJG

Heard "Talking to you" for the first time tonight. Loved it. Very representative of the early 80s. Has anyone else heard it? Anyone have an .mp3 to post? The instrumentals sound very much classic rock, remind me of Rush & Jimmy Page maybe. From "Untold Passion," 1981, Neil Schon/Jan Hammer All Music GuideBefore Journey became one of the top pop rock acts of the early 80s with a string of arena rock anthems and power ballads, the group had a more detectable prog and fusion edge while guitarist Neal Schon's earliest work was with the very unJourneylike Carlos Santana. So at the height of Journey's popularity, it appeared as though Schon wanted to get back to his fusion roots, by uniting with keyboard wizard Jan Hammer. However, the resulting album, 1981's Untold Passion,' wasn't going to be confused with Mahavishnu Orchestra anytime soon tracks such as "I'm Talking to You" wasn't much different from Journey's melodic rock style, while "Hooked on Love" saw Schon (who also doubled as vocalist) replicate Paul Rodgers' singing style. That said, the funky keyboard/guitar duel, "The Ride," gave both Schon and Hammer a chance to show off their chops. Untold Passion' seems to lean more towards the more melodic rock side of things, rather than fingerspraininducingchops. - Greg Prato, All Music Guide Two giants on their instruments, both with a very distinctive sound: Minimoog wizard Jan Hammer from Mahavishnu Orchestra and Jeff Beck solo fame and 'master of the biting guitar sound' Neal Schon, known from his work with Santana and Journey. On this CD Jan Hammer organised a kind of 'Journey Party' featuring Ross Valory, Steve Smith and Neal Schon from this legendary USA band that turned from an interesting 'heavy progressive' rock band into a polished 'stadium-rock' formation (but the money was good!). Some people still think that Journey only made commercial crap, well check out the albums Journey and Next and discover their dynamic and powerful sound. The track Kohoutek from their eponymous debut LP contains one of the most exciting guitar soli I have ever heard! So high expectations for this Jan Hammer/Neal Schon project but unfortunately it sounds a bit too polished to me and the vocals by Neal Schon are a bit dull. Don't get me wrong: the level of the compositions is decent, you can enjoy great work on keyboards and guitar but in general this album fails to keep my attention. The two exceptions are the instrumental songs Arc (a swinging rhythm with great Minimoog flights and biting electric guitar) and the moving titletrack: a kind of 'electronic blues' atmosphere with a strong build-up, wonderful synthesizer layers and howling electric guitar and a captivating guitar/synthesizer duel. If you can dig this CD in a mid - or low price section of a record store, check out this CD because of the two aforementioned instrumentals! Rating: 2,5 stars.-Erik NeuteboomEingefügtes Bild

One of those Schon/Hammer albums(can't recall) had a track called "On the Beach" which was a decent mid tempo instrumental rocker.Just a quick note,Jan played on Al DiMeolas album Electric Rendezvous from 1981.Al like Neal,is another underrated guitarist.

check out al di meola and jan hammer on "sequencer" from the album scenario. great stuff:Eingefügtes Bildhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGCo9XHmKckcheck out jan on the fairlight (for all you "jan hammer for dummies" readers :) ) he's not in the video, but you can see the fairlight and hear jan playing all the synthesizers in this recording. sorry for the bad audio/video. does anyone know of a better quality version of this somewhere?you can hear many miami vice sounds in this song, and this is 2 years before vice came out!!

• 2 months later...

I agree. Neal Schon is an absolutely amazing artist.I was in a used CD store and found his "Beyond the Thunder" Album. It has become one of my all time favourites! Mostly instrumental, but some amazing guitar work for sure.I'm surprised to see that Neal got together with Jan? I will have to search the old used record stores for a copy of this.Someone else you might want to check out is Steve Hackett from Genesis fame. Lately he has done a lot of classical guitar and it is also amazing!

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know about another colab called "No More Lies"?VH1 came and did a mini-charity thing for us a long time ago, and they brought out this HUGE (4,000+) list of songs they had videos for. Like a big karaoke guide in a pub. I found it again today by chance and believe it or not that song is listed.

• Administrators

First got hooked on Al DiMeola when he played with Chick Corea in the "Return To Forever" band. Al is an incredible guitar player!

What were the albums like with Neal Schon - would a Jan Hammer (Miami Vice era) enjoy them - werent some of them produced in the 70s? or were they just early 1980s - Jan did two albums with Schon.?

• Administrators

Yup, 2 albums. "Untold Passion" & "Here To Stay" Jan's style is unmistakeable no matter what decade he plays in. Add some good hard rock to it and I think any Vice fan would like it!http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=Jan+Hammer+%26+Neal+Schon&x=13&y=11

Appreiciate that- thanks Ferrariman. Like how on the Amazon.com page of the album the new version of that album has had the "Miami Vice Theme" added to the album to perhaps improve sales of the Schon/Hammer album! I thinks yeah!:D

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know about another colab called "No More Lies"?VH1 came and did a mini-charity thing for us a long time ago' date=' and they brought out this HUGE (4,000+) list of songs they had videos for. Like a big karaoke guide in a pub. I found it again today by chance and believe it or not that song is listed.[/quote'] I remember that one, great song and video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTxByV2kLzc

• 1 year later...

So, what is all this in the news about Neil Schon hanging out with that awful Salami girl? I mean just look at her, she has sharp knees, she is way below my standards. No, seriously, I would not date that female because she is nuts.

So' date=' what is all this in the news about Neil Schon hanging out with that awful Salami girl? I mean just look at her, she has sharp knees, she is way below my standards. No, seriously, I would not date that female because she is nuts.[/quote']It appears that she ran off with him, hubby filed for divorce. Which is interesting, since I believe that Neal is also married.OOPS!