Opening/Closing Montage Locations

miamijimf

Posted: 16 October 2006 at 3:37pm by DanJThere are several versions of the opening and closing credits montages. Let's discuss those here, shall we? I'll start it off with this one, which at one time was a used Rolls Royce dealership - yeah you read that right; used Rolls Royces!Eingefügtes Bild5600 Biscayne BoulevardMiami, FloridaThe website where I found this pic says this structure dates to 1960 and suggests this was a tire showroom at one time. Today it is a combination pizzeria/carwash.The pic above is quite slick. Today the place is looking a bit rundown.Posted: 16 October 2006 at 4:11pm by DanJThe Beau Rivage was only shown once, in the pilot episode opening montage. The shot starts with a zoom of a couple on a balcony in a neighboring highrise, then widens to show the Beau Rivage:Eingefügtes Bild believe the postcard above is circa 1950's. The balconied building from the MV pilot montage was not built yet. Here we see the Beau Rivage, then the Bal Harbour hotel (With the red brick verticle column along the front - this was named Regency in the MV pilot montage), then the Ivanhoe (Green verticle column along the front).The Beau Rivage is history. As near as I can tell, both the Bal Harbour/Regency and the Ivanhoe hotels no longer exist. The Ivanhoe was replaced by the building in the MV montage that shows the couple on the balcony. 16 October 2006 at 9:44pm by SOFLAJEREMYAs always great pictures dan At first I thought the photo of the rr dealership was one of yours it was so nice. I think they got a little lazy in season two. While season one had several different opening montages season two stuck with one throughout and it was the same as what had become the standard of season one with the swaping in of the courthouse seen Posted: 17 October 2006 at 4:41pm by DanJI believe Jeremy has a daytime version of this shot. I decided to practice my nighttime photography chops last night by taking this version. Methinks I need to work out my white balance and exposure timing a bit, but nevertheless y'all should recognize this shot from the pilot episode, which I know I've seen recycled in one or two other episodes as part of one of the many nighttime montages along the way.Eingefügtes BildClub Fantasy (On the left) was called Copacabana in MV's day, and the yellow "Farmacia" sign (On the right) might have had another name as well. Otherwise this street corner is largely unchanged. In the background is La Carreta, which was the exterior shot for the restaurant where C&T meet Artie Rollins and Sam Kovic in "Heart Of Darkness."Posted: 17 October 2006 at 5:13pm by MATT5 Seen in Season 1 opening montages/all 5 seasons closing montages . The rolling camera shot starting at the concrete pier at Haulover Beach ( curved angle at top of pic) then heading over the Bal Harbor Condos/hotels. The pilot opening montage you see Haulover Bridge linking Bal Harbor & Haulover Park and the concrete pier clearly.Posted: 17 October 2006 at 5:41pm by DanJYep, that's an aerial shot from the ocean. New highrises have sprung up near the Haulover bridge so the view is different today. Still, I'd love to rent a boat and go out and try to replicate those shots!Posted: 17 October 2006 at 5:48pm by MATT5I wonder why Michael Mann chose the area way up Haulover Beach / Bal Harbor for the aerial montages and not the Collins Avenue /Historic Hotels for the montages. I know in 1984 it was no way as picturesque / built up as it is today but you still had some famous ones there along the ocean ( ie Delano/ Shelbourne etc ) Posted: 17 October 2006 at 5:56pm by DanJMaybe that was just convenenient stock footage... Posted: 17 October 2006 at 8:29pm by SOFLAJEREMYI can only assume that the footage from the helicopter of the water as they fly over was from this same stretch or perhaps north of here by port everglades Posted: 17 October 2006 at 9:10pm by MATT5Im pretty sure the helicopter flying over water scenes would have been nr Haulover Beach area Posted: 19 October 2006 at 10:16am by MATT5Originally posted by DanJ"but nevertheless y'all should recognize this shot from the pilot episode, which I know I've seen recycled in one or two other episodes as part of one of the many nighttime montages along the way.Club Fantasy (On the left) was called Copacabana in MV's day, and the yellow "Farmacia" sign (On the right) might have had another name as well. Otherwise this street corner is largely unchanged. In the background is La Carreta, which was the exterior shot for the restaurant where C&T meet Artie Rollins and Sam Kovic in "Heart Of Darkness." Also appeared in "Rock and a Hard Place" - in the song Dirty Laundry montage from Season 4 . You see the Copacabana sign lit up at nite. ( close up of sign only) Posted: 19 October 2006 at 11:21am by DanJYep. That's a closeup of the Copacabana sign. They recycled some other shots in that ep as well. But I'm thinking I have seen the actual shot from the montage complete with the Mercedez recycled somewhere. If I find it I'll give y'all a holler.Posted: 19 October 2006 at 7:14pm by MATT5Surely Wolfies must have been one of the most seen buildings in MV episodes ( disregarding Ocb/ Downtown skyline etc). It appeared in Rock and a Hard Place, as DanJ said above, and many many more.I cant ever recall an interior shot though.Posted: 19 October 2006 at 8:16pm by SOFLAJEREMYYour right danj It was in an ep I think probably season three I dont remember the ep either but I remember seeing it. I have most of season three on tivo so maybe I will find it. Posted: 16 February 2007 at 6:24am by airtommy OK, I just randomly stumbled across this one. The pink flamingos in the opening montage were filmed at Hialeah Park. This racetrack/park is currently under threat of being torn down for redevelopment. Save Hialeah Park 2200 East 4th Avenue Hialeah, FL

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 7:37am by airtommyMATT5 posted this on another thread: "via Microsoft Live I was looking at the Opening Shot Credits from Season 3-5 and the Downtown Shot when PMTs credit comes up of the Wachovia and Bank Of America building must have been taken from the Washington Mutual Building on SW8th St- its a part aerial of the Miami Avenue Bridge and Downtown with Associated Photo/ Big Fish in the foreground." I just looked at this, and the line of sight looks perfect. For reference, the Washington Mutual building is on the NE corner of SW 9th St & SW 1st Ave. (address: 80 SW 8th Street, 33130). It's now called Brickell Bayview Center.Posted: 13 November 2007 at 10:02pm by ShillAnyone know the name and details of the building in the opening credits? It's right after the race car and the camera pans right to left. Sort of a jagged 3 tier? Posted: 13 November 2007 at 11:12pm by airtommyI'll take a look at it tonight. It sounds like Wachovia Bldg downtown Posted: 14 November 2007 at 1:05am by airtommyOh, that! wiki article Posted: 09 December 2007 at 7:39pm by airtommyFrom another thread: Originally posted by SOFLAJEREMYmy question is this..Is this the same pool that you see in several of the montages, for eaxample the opening montage of brother's keeper with the guy in the pool talking on a cordless phone with the babes loungeing nearby. It sure as heck looks soSome good views of the pool can be seen here. Is it the same pool? house for sale Posted: 09 December 2007 at 9:14pm by MATT5Originally posted by airtommySome good views of the pool can be seen here. Is it the same pool? house for sale Could Be ! Could Be! I would love to know where that Pool is seen in the Pilot Opening Credits/Closing Credits with the guy on the cell and the babes - it was seen in the closing credits often up to Season 5. Im gonna check this one out with the slo-mo & zoomPosted: 12 April 2008 at 5:58am by Tripthe house is money, but I don't know about 38 million. bahhhh!

• 2 months later...

I can match up on Live the Bal Harbor Hotels seen in the Pilot Opening Montage ( Couple on Balcony building is still there ) , though Beau Rivage and The Regency have gone - The Beau Rivage which looked like it was two hotels away from the couple on balcony ( Ivanhoe ) which was shot from Collins Avenue looking North. But directly after that shot there is a beach shot ( with Rocks ) from the Ocean which we only see once in the series - Is that Bal Harbor also , as I cannot match any of those buildings to Bal Harbor Today.

• 2 years later...

Opening Montage - Women in bikinisI am a new member, and sorry if this has been posted frequently in the past, but I thought it belongs here anyway in the opening montage section: Towards the end of the opening montage/credits, two women in bikinis walk down a couple of steps and turn right onto a sidewalk, away from the camera. That scene was shot at the Carlyle Hotel (1250 Ocean Dr). It's been remodeled since then and is now a condo hotel, and the sidewalk is wider, but the exterior is still pretty much the same. I am attaching a recent picture I took in Dec 2009 in case it's useful: [ATTACH=CONFIG]3526[/ATTACH]

post-10349-13892963585545_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
For some time I have been thinking about doing something with the opening montages on my location site. Well finally I have started. I have just published a study of the season 1 opening montages on my site with season two to follow shortly. I cover all 5 versions of the montage we see in season 1 as well as the different versions of the Miami Vice logo we see in the montages. For those who are addicted to Vice in the same way I am or even if you are not, you may find it interesting. Of course those places where enough is seen to be able to confirm their location, that is posted as well.http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net
  • Like 1

For some time I have been thinking about doing something with the opening montages on my location site. Well finally I have started. I have just published a study of the season 1 opening montages on my site with season two to follow shortly. I cover all 5 versions of the montage we see in season 1 as well as the different versions of the Miami Vice logo we see in the montages. For those who are addicted to Vice in the same way I am or even if you are not" data-date=" you may find it interesting. Of course those places where enough is seen to be able to confirm their location, that is posted as well.[URL="http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net"">

http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net

Your flipp'in Amazing C Glide!

For some time I have been thinking about doing something with the opening montages on my location site. Well finally I have started. I have just published a study of the season 1 opening montages on my site with season two to follow shortly. I cover all 5 versions of the montage we see in season 1 as well as the different versions of the Miami Vice logo we see in the montages. For those who are addicted to Vice in the same way I am or even if you are not" data-date=" you may find it interesting. Of course those places where enough is seen to be able to confirm their location, that is posted as well.[URL="http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net"">

Great Sofla Jeremy :D

Amazing stuff, C Glide, I have to say. To break down each episode shot by shot takes an enormous amount of time in itself. Then to find the actual locations, map them out and show what they look like versus what they looked like back then is phoenomenal! My hat is off to you, keep up the great work!

Amazing stuff, C Glide, I have to say. To break down each episode shot by shot takes an enormous amount of time in itself. Then to find the actual locations, map them out and show what they look like now, versus what they looked like back then is phoenomenal! My hat is off to you, keep up the great work!

Amazing stuff' date=' C Glide, I have to say. To break down each episode shot by shot takes an enormous amount of time in itself. Then to find the actual locations, map them out and show what they look like now, versus what they looked like back then is phoenomenal! My hat is off to you, keep up the great work![/quote']I agree marvellous soflajeremy :D

Okay, here is a shocker. I think that the famous flyover clips from the opening montage may not actually "belong" to Miami Vice. Don't shoot! What I mean is, as I look at the segments closely there are a couple of things that stand out.1) At times as the camera approaches land we can see in the top right corner of the screen a brief glimpse of the shoreline. To me it appears there is a low hill in the background. Not a mountain by any means but higher than anything in South FloridaEingefügtes Bild2) Then we see what I generally dismissed as drftwood. I may have brought this up in the past but I don't recall it being resolved. My eyes are not what they were but as I zoom in on the driftwood it looks like an outrigger canoe as one sees in places like Hawaii. Could this be footage from Magnum PI which started in 1980????Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild
  • Like 1

Okay" data-date=" here is a shocker. I think that the famous flyover clips from the opening montage may not actually "belong" to Miami Vice. Don">

http://www.southfloridafilminglocations.com/wpimages/wpbafa6e14.png2) Then we see what I generally dismissed as drftwood. I may have brought this up in the past but I don't recall it being resolved. My eyes are not what they were but as I zoom in on the driftwood it looks like an outrigger canoe as one sees in places like Hawaii. Could this be footage from Magnum PI which started in 1980????Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

I always thought it was off Bal Harbour - but wow could it be !?:D

Yeah' date=' I kinda always thought maybe Dania Beach north of the pier but now I think Hawaii. Someone will recognize it I hope.[/color']

Im sure they will :D

• 1 month later...

I have just added season 3 to the break down of opening montages on my location site. http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net

Great stuff SoflaJeremy The grand prix shots were recycled from "Florence Italy" with Downtown in the background and the scarab shot from "Calderones Return Part 2 " - I always liked the Bank Of America / International place shot across Downtown - with a different view that we normally saw ( Watson Island etc) . The shot was filmed from the now Washington Mutual building on Sw8th St looking over S Miami Avenue to the Boa Tower . I believe in 1986 it was a Boa bank also.:D

Great stuff SoflaJeremy The grand prix shots were recycled from "Florence Italy" with Downtown in the background and the scarab shot from "Calderones Return Part 2 " - I always liked the Bank Of America / International place shot across Downtown - with a different view that we normally saw ( Watson Island etc) . The shot was filmed from the now Washington Mutual building on Sw8th St looking over S Miami Avenue to the Boa Tower . I believe in 1986 it was a Boa bank also.:D

Yup.

• 7 months later...