Your favorite music that didn't make the "Complete Collection"

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

I think this has been discussed before but after a brief search I couldn't find the thread so I'm renewing it. What are your favorite songs that didn't make the complete collection? Some of mine are the theme from the Ocean Club in "Busses", the theme from the beginning of "Shill" and the theme from the swamp in "Glades". There are so many stellar "outtakes" though it's impossible to go wrong.

Hi, thanks for the great topic!This is certainly the most difficult thread in all time to me!I could come with many many cues.By now, I miss mostly:-Buddies and Hackman (overdub) cues-Home Invaders/Down For The Count cues-"Helicopter" from Golden Triangle 2-the pilot extended MV theme (without the lead guitar)-Lend me an ear/Missing Hours/Mirror Image cue (that cue, If I were Hammer, I would call "insane", and it would fit all the eps in which it appeared in)-Brenda theme (before the "Theresa" transformation)-One Eyed Jack "boat invasion" cue (near the end)-Duty and Honor cues-Definitely Miami (entirely)Sorry if I can't narrow it, but what I want the most regarding MV is not a Blu-ray release (that of course would be nice), but a complete, non edited, JH "really complete" collection (the same to Tim Truman's work).By "non edited", I mean I wish cues were kept as cues (or at maximum slightly transformed). I really dislike Jan Hammer improvements, which include adding drum sections, remixing (I don't like, for instance, "Airport Swap" mix on the CD, I think the guitar is too exposed, and it was not as "raw" as the original, which you can hear in the ep or in an old "flexidisc" Keyboard magazine has released on 1985), and expanding. The case I dislike the most is "Poem", I think the drums added there just killed the subtlety of the original cue.

I really, really wish those tracks by Hammer ivoryjones mentioned would see release also, particularly the similar "Buddies" and "Forgive Us Our Debts" ones as they were originally broadcast.

• Administrators

particularly the similar "Buddies" and "Forgive Us Our Debts" ones as they were originally broadcast.

Have you downloaded Dadrian's "Remission" cover? It doesn't get much better! :thumbsup:

Dadrian never ceases to astonish me. If I ever had the boldness to do so and I get to interview Jan Hammer, I'd try a respectful practical joke on the master: I'd would play a Dadrian cover and ask the man why such recording was out of the official releases. I am sure that Jan Hammer would not even think it was a cover and would be more focused on answering "because ..." than anything else!!! Or maybe, before the "because..." he would first go like "How did you get access to my reel tapes?"

• Like 1

"Buddies" and "Forgive Us Our Debts"

I really' date=' really wish those tracks by Hammer ivoryjones mentioned would see release also, particularly the similar "Buddies" and "Forgive Us Our Debts" ones as they were originally broadcast.[/quote']I wish with you also. I've always liked that tune. I do hope it's release...someday. stone

I did Ferrariman, also have the Rick Leon version that I enjoyed a lot. They both do fantastic work! The slow version of the New York Theme is another one I'd love to have Matt5! Good call.

• 3 months later...

There were several tunes that I regularly play from you tube they would include the following:Showtime 1 and 2Hit ListYankee dollarTrudy's themeIncomingThe tip and Sago's themeTurning pointBlack MercedesFree VerseIzzy's ThemeThere may be others but these are the ones that come to mind.

• 1 month later...

There were several tunes that I regularly play from you tube they would include the following:Showtime 1 and 2Hit ListYankee dollarTrudy's themeIncomingThe tip and Sago's themeTurning pointBlack MercedesFree VerseIzzy's ThemeThere may be others but these are the ones that come to mind.

Some nice choices!:thumbsup::D

• 1 year later...

Bought and paid for (all score)Florence Italy (all score)The Great Mc Carthy (all score)Prodigal son (all score)Showtime from Sons and lovers and Home InvadersLittle Prince (all score)Good Collar (all score)and many more I like jan hammer,it's a very good composer on keyboard and electronic material

Bought and paid for (all score)Florence Italy (all score)The Great Mc Carthy (all score)Prodigal son (all score)Showtime from Sons and lovers and Home InvadersLittle Prince (all score)Good Collar (all score)and many more I like jan hammer' date='it's a very good composer on keyboard and electronic material[/quote']Yes "The Good Collar" and "Florence Italy" along the "Prodigal Son" had some great themes :thumbsup::cool::D

• 6 months later...

dancing maria (the Maze and Definitely Miami), the everglades theme (Glades and Prodigal Son), the videotape theme when the cctv tape from the croissant shop is viewed in the meeting room (Florence Italy) and the rush to the airport in the caddy theme (Irish Eyes)

• 2 years later...

Oh, where to begin... as immensely neat as the Complete Collection is, thinking about it, I am slightly disappointed that several pieces weren't included on it:

- "The Score" - the theme from "Golden Triangle" when Tubbs and Castillo are running down the Asian restaurants in search of Lao Li's assassin.

- "Looking for Linus Oliver"  was also nice enough to have been included

- "Hit List", also from "Calderone's Return"

- Jan Hammer's approximation of "I Don't Care Anymore" from the beginning of "No Exit"

Also, it's pretty cool that "Castillo's Theme" was on the Collection (one of my all-time favorite cues, together with "Golden Triangle"), albeit as a "hidden track" in the second half of "Russian Story". Jan Hammer should have made that melody into its own track on the Collection, and I think he should have stuck more to the original cue from "Bushido".

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the Complete Collection :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I'll always want "Robbie's Theme" from Buddies. I like my cover okay, but I never quite captured the magic of that cue IMO. 

Beach scene in Definitely Miami and Phil the Shill cues played in the scenes in the hangar and with the Mercedes.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

For me it would be the theme from Fight on the Boat/Alvarado Chase/Candy in the Alley/Danielle instinct

That's my all time favorite, I can never get that melody out of my head especially the "chorus".

Other ones would be Pedrosa's Theme from Heroes of the Revolution, the cement track cue The Heist that Dadrian covered so brilliantly and New Beginning (the second part)/Viking Bikers From Hell.

I think I actually noticed a common thread among the tracks that got included in the CC vs those that weren't. To me it seems like that the focus was on softer/melancholic/ballad like tracks. Most of the fast, up-beat stuff (chases, heavy on drums and guitar) and bubble-gum type of music (Everything Izzy/Noogman and Larry/Stan) did not get included. Which is a real shame! I guess the record company or maybe Jan himself thought that this wouldn't appeal as much to the masses, or only to the male fan base? Who actually made the choices for the Complete Collection?

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Den Taylor said:

1. For me it would be the theme from Fight on the Boat/Alvarado Chase/Candy in the Alley/Danielle instinct

That's my all time favorite...

2. ...the cement track cue The Heist that Dadrian covered so brilliantly

1. Isn't that two different cues all together there?

2. Thanks! That one was fun. 

Edited by Dadrian

^That boat-fight music is phenomenal. That is the sound I think of when day-dreaming about MV. :D

I love these also:

Jan Hammer did a ridiculous amount of great cues, they couldn't all fit on a CD but they can fit on a youtube channel.:p

• Like 1

Would have loved the New York Theme ( slow love theme) featured throughout the Season 2 opener "The Prodigal Son" and briefly in "The Fix".

As well as the "Lend Me An Ear" theme which was recycled briefly in the Season 4 cliffhanger "Mirror Image"

:D:shout::fireworks::done::)

• 2 weeks later...

Moya's Demise is the same cue as Looking for Linus Oliver and very similar to Desiree Motel. And yes, they're awesome.
The more I get into these the more I notice that Jan did reuse plenty of cues (with variations).
To Dadrian: " Isn't that two different cues all together there? " There are three melodies that I can discern in the Fight on the Boat cue but they all use pretty much the same chords and notes. The other tunes I listed have these melodies too, minus one or two. Danielle Instinct only has it briefly in the beginning.

Edited by Den Taylor