Episode #49 "The Good Collar"

Ferrariman

4 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

No I didn't realise that @Dadrian. Do you mean the track "Finale" from Secret admirer that Jan released? I'll have to check it out again.

If I remember correctly, it’s during one of the “parking” scenes (at night). 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dadrian said:

You may know, but the opening cue is a rework of one from his “Secret Admirer” score. 

But yeah—all nice and new for Miami Vice. :thumbsup:

Funny, I was just thinking about Hammer's "Secret Admirer" score (I really like that film; I thought the cast was good and the mood of the film had a sweet darkness to it, aided by Hammer's score).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fakespyder said:

No I didn't realise that @Dadrian. Do you mean the track "Finale" from Secret admirer that Jan released? I'll have to check it out again.

I know he's reused or taken inspiration from his tracks/cues in other albums. For instance the beginning of "Windows" from "Beyond the Minds Eye" is a slowed down version of the cue Jan used in Glades when the Old man pulls up in his truck. Well, very similar in any case...

Also in Cocaine Cowboys the track "Criminal Files" is basically a direct copy from his Dark Angel/I come in Peace score. One of my favourite Jan tracks too. (has vice written all over it)

"Cocaine Cowboys" is a documentary I viewed so many times. It was on Showtime so much I began to take it for granted and I ended up recording the cut version (most of the segments with Toni Mooney being interviewed were excised) on I.D. channel a couple of years after showtime removed it from its schedule.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This was pretty much my original review...my thoughts haven’t changed much:

I didn't particularly care for this one. I know (at the time) MV was known as a more realistic crime drama for its “darker” delve into the drug world, and not always so-happy-a endings. A lot of this episode was probably realistic...but maybe a little too realistic for me. It was somewhat predictable...and you knew that the kid was probably gonna die. But, I hate sad, depressing things. ;( 

Real life is too much like that...if I wanted total real-life, I'd watch the news. :rolleyes: However, the guest-stars and acting/performances were pretty interesting and very good! Terry Kinney is a good actor, but he’s played a "turd" in several things I've seen him in. :p A year or so after this MV episode he played the murdering pastor Thom Byrd in the TV movie Murder Ordained...based on the real-life Emporia, Kansas case of a pastor murdering his wife so he could be with his secretary...who he was having an affair with at the time. It happened in the early 80s, so that case was VERY high-profile at the time! Back then, stuff like that just hardly ever happend in Kansas. Now... :eek:

That TV Movie had some pretty decent stars too...such as Jo Beth Williams, Keith Carradine, and Kathy Bates. They filmed a lot of it in Emporia too...including at the actual bridge out in the middle of nowhere, where he killed his wife. Anyway, back to this episode...I remember John Spenser from the legal drama L.A. Law and Nick Corri from the original Nightmare on Elm Street.  

I also did not know that Charles S. Dutton was a convicted criminal before...that does add some realism. But, overall this one is depressing to me, and not really very much "fun" to watch. I work with troubled kids and I see several of them going this route. :o I originally gave “Good Collar” a 5...still do. 

On 5/17/2021 at 8:22 PM, ViceFanMan said:

I didn't particularly care for this one. I know (at the time) MV was known as a more realistic crime drama for its “darker” delve into the drug world, and not always so-happy-a endings. A lot of this episode was probably realistic...but maybe a little too realistic for me. It was somewhat predictable...and you knew that the kid was probably gonna die. But, I hate sad, depressing things. ;( 

Real life is too much like that...if I wanted total real-life, I'd watch the news. :rolleyes: However, the guest-stars and acting/performances were pretty interesting and very good! Terry Kinney is a good actor, but he’s played a "turd" in several things I've seen him in. :p A year or so after this MV episode he played the murdering pastor Thom Byrd in the TV movie Murder Ordained...based on the real-life Emporia, Kansas case of a pastor murdering his wife so he could be with his secretary...who he was having an affair with at the time. It happened in the early 80s, so that case was VERY high-profile at the time! Back then, stuff like that just hardly ever happend in Kansas. Now... :eek:

That TV Movie had some pretty decent stars too...such as Jo Beth Williams, Keith Carradine, and Kathy Bates. They filmed a lot of it in Emporia too...including at the actual bridge out in the middle of nowhere, where he killed his wife. Anyway, back to this episode...I remember John Spenser from the legal drama L.A. Law and Nick Corri from the original Nightmare on Elm Street.  

I also did not know that Charles S. Dutton was a convicted criminal before...that does add some realism. But, overall this one is depressing to me, and not really very much "fun" to watch. I work with troubled kids and I see several of them going this route. :o I originally gave “Good Collar” a 5...still do. 

Yeah, I viewed "Murder Ordained" about a decade ago, I thought it was pretty solid. That Kansas case reminds me of the Walter Scott case, who was the singer murdered by his wife's lover (who also killed his wife) and dumped in the murderer's cistern.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 8:22 PM, ViceFanMan said:

I was thinking about this: I think Terry Kinney compares favorably with Will Patton, who played a real weenie in "No Way Out" (Sean Young, I like her though; like what Grover Watkins said about Tom Pierce in 'Vote of Confidence', Sean Young lives on the edge, and likes it there. Has she lost her balance? No way, she's a cat, Catwoman! Not sure if she knows Cat though, whose all kinds of edgy:-), and Kinney plays a Super Weenie in this here episode (what a de-gifter; I wouldn't want William Pepin giving out presents around Christmastime, he'd Scrooge everyone possible:-).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The other day I wrote that I'm not a big fan of "Walk Alone" because I don't like prison tales; I also don't like youth gang stories - such a depressing, frustrating situation.  "The Good Collar" does a good and, I assume, well-researched job with this subject - and it's probably closer to what real cops have to deal with than some of the more excellent, if more extravagant Miami Vice episodes (Shadow in the Dark, Definitely Miami, etc.) - but it's not one of my eagerly awaited eps, despite its good qualities (the guest stars, the various mises-en-scene). 

Sonny's frustrated punching-the-interior-of-the-car scene might come off as ham-fisted, but it's not meant to look cool; when we're at the end of our rope, we don't care if we look cool or controlled.  

It's too bad Nick Corri's undercover Ramirez was killed as he would have been a good recurring character.  But this is Miami Vice after all, where the casualty rate is mighty high! 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

The other day I wrote that I'm not a big fan of "Walk Alone" because I don't like prison tales; I also don't like youth gang stories - such a depressing, frustrating situation.  "The Good Collar" does a good and, I assume, well-researched job with this subject - and it's probably closer to what real cops have to deal with than some of the more excellent, if more extravagant Miami Vice episodes (Shadow in the Dark, Definitely Miami, etc.) - but it's not one of my eagerly awaited eps, despite its good qualities (the guest stars, the various mises-en-scene). 

Sonny's frustrated punching-the-interior-of-the-car scene might come off as ham-fisted, but it's not meant to look cool; when we're at the end of our rope, we don't care if we look cool or controlled.  

It's too bad Nick Corri's undercover Ramirez was killed as he would have been a good recurring character.  But this is Miami Vice after all, where the casualty rate is mighty high! 

I liked the scene with Crockett expressing his anger there for sure; he saw everything going wrong, tried to prevent it, could only do so much about it and there he was. I agree, when we're at the end of our rope we normally drop any sense of decorum or coolness.

Yeah, I was thinking of Jsu Garcia/Nick Corri (his agent having him present himself as Italian worked out, though I would've watched "A Nightmare on Elm Street" or the two vice episodes regardless. Hollywood and life sure are funny on making unnecessary complications?() the other day, and really enjoyed his Ramirez character (I use the phrase "regular fella/fellas" a lot in my daily life thanks to Ramirez naming that particular gang, so his character isn't too far from my thoughts).

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...