My Miami Vice go-fast boat.

SpeedFreak

Hi- I am a new member online, but never posted before. I would like to share pictures of my miami vice style 23' Chris Craft Scorpion-Stinger. I don't think that there ever was a 23' Stinger that the company built....there was only the 23' Scorpion. As far as I can tell.....there was a special edition version of the Scorpion 23, called the Stinger, complete with custom imron paint job and different interior.Here is mine: http://www.chriscraftstingers.com/gallerypage.php?gallerydir=New%20York%20230I am currently re-doing the boat, thats why it looks like a mess. Its going to have two bolster seats and a back bench seat. I am going to make a newer + stronger engine hatch, and much much more.It might not have the miami vice paint job, but it sure fits the miami vice era perfectly, with the ultra comfortable cabin, and the paint job.My mother says that it looks like the bad guys drug boat, but i think it looks classy and sleek!The only thing I am missing is the radar arch..... :(

Nice project boat. You have your work cut out for you but it will be a beauty in the end. Stingers have such sexy lines that they look good standing still!I have owned many Stingers from a 210 all the way up to a 390 which I own presently. My 230 was a centre mount engine with the seats all the way around the back as a wrap-a-round. It was meant for skiing but I had it one season and sold it to get my 260 which I owned for 7 years.You are correct in your assumptions of the "Scorpion" Stinger. They only made them in the 260, 312 and 390 models. My 260 was a Scorpion and it had a raised deck which gave more headroom inside. It had drop down bolsters in the front and double hatches on each side. My friend has an 84-260 and his has no hatches at all as his is a standard Stinger (not a Scorpion) I had the only one around here for years until I sold it last year to a guy up north.Welcome to the forum and have fun looking around. Check out my toys at :http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?15889-MY-VICE-II&highlight=vicehttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?15947-Summer-s-over-(&highlight=summersIf you need some advice on boat restoration give me a shout.

Thank you! It has a 7.4 mercruiser....i think that is is 454hp? The engine doesnt run, so i assume that it will need a re-build. It has thru- prop exhaust but it was origionally set up for thru-hull with the pipes, which are still there. It should run in the 60's i assume.

• Administrators

Nice! :thumbsup: I'll admit that I don't know much about these boats except that I like them! Thanks for posting your pics! Keep us posted on your progress and don't be a stranger!

Thank you! It has a 7.4 mercruiser....i think that is is 454hp? The engine doesnt run' date=' so I assume that it will need a re-build. It has thru- prop exhaust but it was origionally set up for thru-hull with the pipes, which are still there. It should run in the 60's i assume.[/quote']7.4 's are awesome engines! Get a rebuild if you need it, but try to start it first and see if it runs. Put some plugs in it and some fresh oil and crank it up. Those things are usually bullet proof as they are very well built with close tolerances. As you have a big block I can assume you have a Bravo outdrive??? If you don't, consider getting one as you need a Bravo for anything more than 400hp. The Alphas will grenade with that much power in front of them.Where are you located? Are you in the sunny south where you can play all year, or are you in the great white north where the winter air blows cold? Are you working on the boat presently?Oh and for the speed...yes you should get about 56-59mph out of the boat with the right prop. On a good day you might break 60???

7.4 's are awesome engines! Get a rebuild if you need it' date=' but try to start it first and see if it runs. Put some plugs in it and some fresh oil and crank it up. Those things are usually bullet proof as they are very well built with close tolerances. As you have a big block I can assume you have a Bravo outdrive??? If you don't, consider getting one as you need a Bravo for anything more than 400hp. The Alphas will grenade with that much power in front of them.Where are you located? Are you in the sunny south where you can play all year, or are you in the great white north where the winter air blows cold? Are you working on the boat presently?Oh and for the speed...yes you should get about 56-59mph out of the boat with the right prop. On a good day you might break 60???[/quote']They sure look strong, thats for sure! I havent tried to crank it up yet, due to the weather. I think the drive is a bravo I think- i'll get a picture. I am located out on Long Island, NY. The weather has been very, very chilly the last few days :cry:The boat is sitting up on blocks in the boatyard with a wood frame over the cockpit with shrinkwrap. I cannot afford indoor storage at this time, as I need to invest in a trailer (I am only 18), so I can bring the boat home to my house where I have access to more stuff. In the yard, I am located far from a plug for power tools, or to plug in a light. Putting a heater inside there is a fire hazard (I am a fireman). It could get knocked over and whatnot.As far as speed goes, 55-59 and possibly 60mph seems like a fair speed. Are there parts that you can add to the engine to increase the HP (different exhaust headers, etc..)? Sam

7.4 's are awesome engines! Get a rebuild if you need it' date=' but try to start it first and see if it runs. Put some plugs in it and some fresh oil and crank it up. Those things are usually bullet proof as they are very well built with close tolerances. As you have a big block I can assume you have a Bravo outdrive??? If you don't, consider getting one as you need a Bravo for anything more than 400hp. The Alphas will grenade with that much power in front of them.Where are you located? Are you in the sunny south where you can play all year, or are you in the great white north where the winter air blows cold? Are you working on the boat presently?Oh and for the speed...yes you should get about 56-59mph out of the boat with the right prop. On a good day you might break 60???[/quote']They sure look strong, thats for sure! I havent tried to crank it up yet, due to the weather. I think the drive is a bravo I think- i'll get a picture. I am located out on Long Island, NY. The weather has been very, very chilly the last few days :cry:The boat is sitting up on blocks in the boatyard with a wood frame over the cockpit with shrinkwrap. I cannot afford indoor storage at this time, as I need to invest in a trailer (I am only 18), so I can bring the boat home to my house where I have access to more stuff. In the yard, I am located far from a plug for power tools, or to plug in a light. Putting a heater inside there is a fire hazard (I am a fireman). It could get knocked over and whatnot.As far as speed goes, 55-59 and possibly 60mph seems like a fair speed. Are there parts that you can add to the engine to increase the HP (different exhaust headers, etc..)? SamPS: Look for a picture of the drive here: http://www.chriscraftstingers.com/gallerypage.php?gallerydir=New%20York%20230

They sure look strong' date=' thats for sure! As far as speed goes, 55-59 and possibly 60mph seems like a fair speed. Are there parts that you can add to the engine to increase the HP (different exhaust headers, etc..)? Sam[/quote']That is about it's max for that particular hull design. If you want to go faster you need a thick wallet which will get very thin...very fast! (more that the boat is worth)There is a thing called the "Stinger hop" and is inherit in these hull designs. You can't do much about it except try to trim it out with tabs. If you want to invest a few good dollars buy some Keikaffer tabs if they are not on there already???The hulls design doesn't allow too much past that speed without making the boat unstable and difficult to drive.New modern boats have step hull design and different x-planes and number 6 or number 8 drives which are more scientifically designed to cut water at high speeds. Hulls from the 1980's just don't do that. LISTEN...50mph is darn fast on the water and you will have a blast so fix up the boat in the spring and get out on the water...that's what it's all about! Have fun.........................

That is about it's max for that particular hull design. If you want to go faster you need a thick wallet which will get very thin...very fast! (more that the boat is worth)There is a thing called the "Stinger hop" and is inherit in these hull designs. You can't do much about it except try to trim it out with tabs. If you want to invest a few good dollars buy some Keikaffer tabs if they are not on there already???The hulls design doesn't allow too much past that speed without making the boat unstable and difficult to drive.New modern boats have step hull design and different x-planes and number 6 or number 8 drives which are more scientifically designed to cut water at high speeds. Hulls from the 1980's just do do that. LISTEN...50mph is darn fast on the water and you will have a blast so fix up the boat in the spring and get out on the water...that's what it's all about! Have fun.........................

Seems like it'll take alot of $ to make it go fast....not really worth it, and its an older boat, so I don't want to push it to high speeds. My plan is to fix and keep this boat untill I have the $ and skill to upgrade to a faster and bigger boat. The boat has tabs already, not sure what kind they are though, but I can get a picture if you'd like. :)

Just saw the exact same boat for sale in Cleveland???? Did you buy it there? Funny...had the exact paint job too...The 260 is a great starter boat so you will have loads fo fun when you get it wet.

Just saw the exact same boat for sale in Cleveland???? Did you buy it there? Funny...had the exact paint job too...The 260 is a great starter boat so you will have loads fo fun when you get it wet.

Got the boat from my local boatyard. There are a few of these boats around.

Sweet ! I live here in south FloridaGet a vice paint Job !  love it... Hey Rico you ever thought about a career in south florida law enforcement ,

Get a vice paint Job !  love it... Hey Rico you ever thought about a career in south florida law enforcement ' date='[/quote']Thanks!Got the drive off today.....think its time to invest in a new Alpha.Eingefügtes BildUploaded with ImageShack.usIm gettin one of these:http://midwestboatparty.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=451

Be careful with "Choppers"I borrowed a set of those from a friend to try out and I have to say they did not work like I expected.My stock props worked better because my drives were deep in the water. The x-plane of most stingers are pretty well set and unless you move the drives upwards to a shallower depth, the choppers will not function as expected. The boat will be lazy getting out of the water, but you may have a good midrange but peak rather abruptly at around 46-48mph. Those particular props need to be very shallow to function properly. Alphas on Stingers in their stock positions will not work with those props.Secondly a "25" pitch is rather harsh for a set of stock small block Merc's. The 260hp will be labouring greatly and you will have trouble getting the engines over 4 grand rpm with that much prop behind it. My suggestion is to max out at about a 23 or less.Now if you spend about thirty grand per side, you can get a set of umber 6 or number 8 drives and those props will work superbly!Hope that helps...didn't want you to waste your money. You should try them out before actually buying them................................................

I know counter -rotating alphas are hard to find but see if you can dig one up on a swap sheet somewhere. Stock Stingers had same rotation drives (both of them) If you can find a counter-rotating one grab it as it is considered gold!Larger boats such as my 390 have counter rotating drives and it helps stablilize acceleration and cruising.

Be careful with "Choppers"I borrowed a set of those from a friend to try out and I have to say they did not work like I expected.My stock props worked better because my drives were deep in the water. The x-plane of most stingers are pretty well set and unless you move the drives upwards to a shallower depth' date=' the choppers will not function as expected. The boat will be lazy getting out of the water, but you may have a good midrange but peak rather abruptly at around 46-48mph. Those particular props need to be very shallow to function properly. Alphas on Stingers in their stock positions will not work with those props.Secondly a "25" pitch is rather harsh for a set of stock small block Merc's. The 260hp will be labouring greatly and you will have trouble getting the engines over 4 grand rpm with that much prop behind it. My suggestion is to max out at about a 23 or less.Now if you spend about thirty grand per side, you can get a set of umber 6 or number 8 drives and those props will work superbly!Hope that helps...didn't want you to waste your money. You should try them out before actually buying them................................................[/quote']Good point. I can always sell it again. Btw, Isn't the 7.4L a 330hp?

When I asked if it was 330hp, is the 454 just the cid?Mercruiser454 c.i.d7.4L/V8 Bravo (has an alpha)Thunderbolt Igniton/Power steering

I wasn`t aware that you had a big block in that boat!That engine should NEVER have had an Alpha!!!Alphas are only good for a max of 400hp so you should get a Bravo. If you put an Alpha behind a big block, they will grenade in no time!I was under the impression you had twin screws. Do you have a single or twins...

isnt the 454 the one in your boat stinger? does his have a transplanted larger motor in it or did it come that way?

The boat was supposed to have a single 260...i guess the previous owner put the big block 454 in it.

I wasn`t aware that you had a big block in that boat!That engine should NEVER have had an Alpha!!!Alphas are only good for a max of 400hp so you should get a Bravo. If you put an Alpha behind a big block' date=' they will grenade in no time!I was under the impression you had twin screws. Do you have a single or twins...[/quote']So basically what you are saying is that the big block will basically put too much strain on the Alpha, therefore "blowing" it? For a bravo, dont I have to change the whole transom assembly?