Top Posters In This Topic

• Ferrariman

• Stinger390X

• Sonny-Burnett

• alleycat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

There were several cars built for the show. I'm not sure if any of them were original Hemi cars but since only 11 actual '71 Hemi Cuda convertibles were built, I seriously doubt it. If it's an original and the right people are bidding it could possibly go for a million or more. A 4 speed pistol grip car (one of 3 built) recently sold for 2.2 million. If it's a clone car it might still hit 6 figures. Should be interesting.

Well according to this article at http://www.lowtek.com/nash/faq/#cuda, there were 4 cars used on the show and 2 actual '71s, with 2 '70s modified to look like '71s. Here is an excerpt from the article: "For an excellent article on the NASH BRIDGES 'Cudas, check out an article entitled "Nash Bridges of Mopar County" in the July 1996 issue of High Performance Mopar Magazine. Michael R. Smith's article really cuts through the confusion about all the details of the cars (all FOUR of the yellow 'Cudas specifically built for NASH BRIDGES). It might be more than the average person might want to know, but then you've got to be a fan of cars or NASH BRIDGES or Don Johnson if you're reading this far.Special thanks to Stephen Lacker for the following summary of the High Performance Mopar article:Suffice it to say that a *real* Hemi-powered Barracuda convertible of *any* year is far too rare to use for stuntwork in a TV series. According to High Performance Mopar magazine and others, four different non-Hemi Barracudas are used. 3 are smallblock cars (one 340, one 318 which was wrecked, and one with a 360 Magnum crate engine based on the current Dodge Ram pickup engine and available new through Mopar Performance). One is a genuine big-block strip-burner even if not a Hemi: a 440 6-pack that was converted to a single 4-barrel. The 440 car and the 318 car are actually '71 'Cudas, while the 340 car and the 360 car are '70 'Cudas with cosmetic changes to make them look like '71s (for whatever reason!)."And apparently the 340 '70 Cuda was DJs personal car that went up for auction in 2003 and sold for $150K. http://classiccarweekly.wordpress.com/2011/12/23/nash-bridges-cuda/I loved the engine sound of those modifed Cudas in the show, assuming the sound wasn't dubbed like that of the Daytona in most scenes in MV.

I will be watching Barrett Jackson this week for sure as always.Love the cuda and of course Don Johnson.I am in the market for something else right now though.but....

The article doesn't say that the '71's used for the show were actual Cuda convertibles though. Again, more info than anyone probably cares from Wikipedia:"The Barracuda was changed slightly for 1971, with a new grille and taillights, seat, and trim differences. This would be the only year that the Barracuda would have four headlights, and also the only year of the fender "gills" on the 'Cuda model."That's why the cosmetic changes to make them look like the 71's.

Six days of automotive bliss. I never miss it. The TIVO is set and I'm ready to enjoy. Some pretty nice stuff ran thru the chute tonight and considering it's the first day the quality was very good. Simply the best of the best there as you have to apply to have your car there. Since we just got 4" of snow where I'm at, I'll take it. It's a great motivator to get out to the garage and get going on my 'vert for the up coming warm season in a few months... Mike

You know something...I love Cuda's but I can't stand that colour!!!Chrysler always had strange colours such as Grabber Green and Plum Crazy - purple, and some of the other exotic colours. I had a 70 Challenger in 1976 which was "Vitamin C Orange" (the only year that colour was available) I guess I'm not a big fan of yellow......................................

• Administrators

That color was known as Curious Yellow although articles I've read on Nash's 'Cuda say the color was changed a bit for the filming of the show. My Duster is Limelight Green (Dodge called it Sublime) Dodge and Plymouth had different names for all their hi-impact colors. http://maxwedge.com/articles/highimpact.phpStinger, your color (Go Mango) was available in '69 & '70

Found another article on a restoration of one of the Nash Cudas, apparently the camera car, I believe, and they allude to another shade of yellow... Bahama Yellow, on the car. Though by the roundabout way the article was written I'm not sure if he means it was on the car in the show or that he intended to repaint it in that color. http://www.totallyautoinc.com/nashbridges/nashp1/nbp1.htmlI too loved the color of the cars, and really enjoyed the engine sounds.

• Administrators

Great article! The way I read it is that the original color of the car was "Bahama Yellow" but it was painted over for the show? You can see the color in that shot of the trunk lid. Bahama Yellow is a darker color. Dodge called it "Butterscotch" which is exactly what it looks like. I am currently restoring a '71 Bahama Yellow Plymouth Duster with a friend. It's an original 340 car and should fetch a nice buck at auction when we're finished.

Great article! The way I read it is that the original color of the car was "Bahama Yellow" but it was painted over for the show? You can see the color in that shot of the trunk lid. Bahama Yellow is a darker color. Dodge called it "Butterscotch" which is exactly what it looks like. I am currently restoring a '71 Bahama Yellow Plymouth Duster with a friend. It's an original 340 car and should fetch a nice buck at auction when we're finished.

Ok, thanks for interpreting, and I see that now on page 1. Looks like there was some white, and 2 shades of blue in that rather large hole or dent. That butterscotch color is definitely darker than what is on the show car but agree it is a cool color in and of itself. And do like the Curious Yellow color. Did you check out the comment on page 3? Seems like he is arguing that there was only one genuine '71 used on the show and that he is restoring it as car #4 but then he alludes to Car #3 as the genuine Cuda. Am confused in how he writes to say the least. Very cool that you are restoring a '71 Bahama Yellow Duster. I would definitely like to see your project if you get around to it. You gotta love American Muscle Cars. My project (Daytona) was put on hold in 2011 (interior restoration) while still chasing a 78-82 dash assembly, but I did conclude a number of mechanical repairs that were costly but necessary.

That color was known as Curious Yellow although articles I've read on Nash's 'Cuda say the color was changed a bit for the filming of the show. My Duster is Limelight Green (Dodge called it Sublime) Dodge and Plymouth had different names for all their hi-impact colors. http://maxwedge.com/articles/highimpact.phpStinger' date=' your color (Go Mango) was available in '69 & '70[/quote']I love the colour of your car Ferrariman. That is truly retro.And your wrong about those years as the paint formula for both Dupont and RM were different. The colour `Vitamin C Orange` had only one fomula and for the 1970 year only. Not sure about the colour your referring to Go Mango, but it sounds interesting. I`ll have to look it up.I used to paint cars in the 70`s and 80`s and did lots of Chrysler restorations. I once did a Satellite with that real soft green colour (forgot the name ) but it looked great! Car had a real 440 six pack too!

• Administrators
Did you check out the comment on page 3? Seems like he is arguing that there was only one genuine '71 used on the show and that he is restoring it as car #4 but then he alludes to Car #3 as the genuine Cuda. Am confused in how he writes to say the least.
Well he did say it "may" have been the only '71 so it sounds like even he's not sure. It's also quite common for people to refer to any Barracuda as 'Cuda which of course is not true.
Very cool that you are restoring a '71 Bahama Yellow Duster. I would definitely like to see your project if you get around to it. You gotta love American Muscle Cars.
Yes it should be very cool. My friend' date=' who recently repainted my Duster asked me if I wanted to go in on the restoration with him and knowing his work' date=' I jumped at the chance. A '71 Dodge Demon with a slant 6 engine sold for 44K at a Barret Jackson auction in Florida last year. Ours is a numbers matching 340 car!Here's a sample of his work on my car.[img'']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Ferrariman/012.jpgEingefügtes Bild

• Administrators
I love the colour of your car Ferrariman. That is truly retro.And your wrong about those years as the paint formula for both Dupont and RM were different. The colour `Vitamin C Orange` had only one fomula and for the 1970 year only. Not sure about the colour your referring to Go Mango' date=' but it sounds interesting. I`ll have to look it up.I used to paint cars in the 70`s and 80`s and di lots of Chrysler restorations. I once did a satellite with that real soft green colour (forgot the name ) but it looked great! Car had a real 440 six pack too![/quote']You could be right. I'm just going by the paint chart I posted on page 1 (Pink Flaming0 also posted the link on page 2) Check it out. Dodge and Plymouth High Impact PaintThe only reason I said "Go Mango" is that's what Dodge called it and you said you had a Challenger. Plymouth called the exact same color Vitamin C Orange as you'll see on the paint chart. Just like mine. "Sublime" for Dodge "Lime Light" for Plymouth. 2 names for the same color. Let me know if you find any other paint referrences.

The 'Cuda in question crossed the block Friday around 6:00 or so. Went for 100K US if I'm not mistaken. I think it will take awhile for cars to bring a million or more like in 2006/7 did. As far as favorite MOPAR colors go, make mine sassy grass. I saw this once on a 71 Charger and it really made my knees weak. Really.... Mike

Whoops. Just re-watched it on the DVR... $80K. Still, strong $$. They were saying Don and Cheech were there selling or promoting the car a few years ago and the now owner(who bought it when Don and Cheech were there) brought it back to sell again. Life of Barrett Jackson I guess...Mike

Your friend did a beautiful job on your car and the engine compartment looks new. Did you do a complete restoration on your car as well?Am sure the Demon project will look great in Bahama Yellow. I'm definitely liking that color more and more and wouldn't mind seeing how it is progressing and turns out. Slant 6--- nice.May consider a full restoration like that down the road on the Daytona but local shops in this area charge an arm and a leg to do so.

• Administrators

May consider a full restoration like that down the road on the Daytona but local shops in this area charge an arm and a leg to do so.

Funny you should say that cause the engine compartment is new. I didn't have the cash to do a full resto on the engine compartment but the shop took care of that. While stripping the paint a careless worker managed to set the engine compartment on fire by laying a grinder on the still connected battery. A check for $13' date='000 through his insurance and presto! A new engine compartment. Now add that to the original estimate of $10,000 for a repaint... Yes an arm & a leg for sure! To answer your question, the rest of the car was / is in excellent shape. If you'd like to see the pics you can check them out here:http:http://builtbyjoeluis.com/Click on the words "Disaster to Duster"

http://builtbyjoeluis.com/Click on the words "Disaster to Duster"

No wonder the engine compartment looked new---it was as I see now. Assume that included a new engine as well? Big bucks indeed- wonder what they would ask to restore an entire car. Mine is pretty much original equipment all around other than the repairs I've made over the last year and a half. Nice shots and captions of the work done on your car. They seem to be a real high quality shop as evidenced by your car and others on their site. I noticed the new Demon project is not up yet on their site.

• Administrators

Actually the engine and intake manifold were the only thing that survived the fire. Everything else was toast as you could see. The engine was drained of all fluids and the oil pan dropped to make sure there was no internal damage. Joe now works for himself on his own projects and when he asked me to go partners on the '71 340 Duster (not a Demon) I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully in the future the project will appear on his website.

That hemi cuda of Don Johnson went for $88,000 dollars and Don found this car in Canada.My neck of woods.Too bad never bumped into him.I don't know if I would have paid that much for the car but to sit and drive where Don was,maybe.