Carrera 5512 model comparison & identification

eXistenZ

Hi,after my thread about NOS (new old stock) Carrera 5512 models, I decided to show you the differences between the models of the 70's and the 80's. It can be considered as a small guide for those who are interested in buying a pair of these. Apparently the model 5512 hit the market in the 70's and over the years it was updated to fit they style of the 80's. Therefore there is a great variety of colors and models available.First, we have a closer look at the temples, starting of with the model from the 80's.[ATTACH=CONFIG]5423[/ATTACH]And the model from the 70's.[ATTACH=CONFIG]5424[/ATTACH]Well, the images speak for themselves. The newer model has a smaller logo and looks a bit more sportive in my opinion.Next, the right side of the frame. Again starting with the newer model.[ATTACH=CONFIG]5425[/ATTACH]70's:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5426[/ATTACH]The newer model has printed "5512" on the inside, the older model doesn't. It is difficult to see and this could help to spot fakes if you are looking to buy a pair on ebay.Next, the lenses.80's:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5427[/ATTACH]

70's:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5428[/ATTACH]The left lens on the newer model has "CARRERA" printed on the outside, usually in white or golden color. Additionally, some models have "Ultrasight" or "C-Vision 400" or "Ultrapol" lenses and this is printed on the lenses as well. So, for example some models have printed "CARRERA" and underneath "Ultrasight" on the left lens. The model from the 70's has no logo printed on the lenses. But beware, I have seen newer models without a logo aswell. Maybe replacement lenses?Ok, now the inside of the temples.80's:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5429[/ATTACH]70's:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5430[/ATTACH]Almost the same. On the older models you will usually find "MADE IN AUSTRIA Mod 5512 10" or "MADE IN AUSTRIA 5512" printed on the left temple. Real vintage models are made in Austria, no where else. :p The newer models usually say "MADE IN AUSTRIA 5512 50 125 EP" or "MADE IN AUSTRIA 5512 10 PA". The numbers refer to the colors of the frame. EP or PA is printed inside a square. It refers to the lenses.Okay, last but not least, the case.80's:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5431[/ATTACH]70's:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5432[/ATTACH]I must say it is almost impossible to find complete models from the 70's. Almost all models are sold without a case, so I have little knowledge about possible variations of the cases. The 70's model I have came with a black leather case with a white "CARRERA" logo on it. It is really solid and protects the glasses well. Inside there are two pockets for replacement lenses.The 80's models come with either a hardcase as seen in the picture or with a soft case. The hard case has an "ALPINA" logo on the outside and it is made in West Germany. The soft cases that are more commom from what I have seen have a "CARRERA" logo printed on the outside. But like the 70's models, complete models are hard to find, too.So, this is it for now and I hope it is helpful for some. If there are any questions please do not hesitate and contact me. And sorry, if there are any stupid grammar mistakes. :S

post-9000-13892964188221_thumb.jpg

post-9000-13892964188793_thumb.jpg

post-9000-13892964189312_thumb.jpg

post-9000-13892964189828_thumb.jpg

post-9000-13892964190333_thumb.jpg

Click below onto my thread on MIAMI VICE sunglasses, and it will bring you to a page that shows several photos of my vintage Carrera sunglasses, including replacement lenses, soft, and hard cases. http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?1369-MIAMI-VICE-SUNGLASSES-MAKES-STYLES-amp-IDENTIFICATIONS/page3

@ COOP: Yeah' date=' I've seen them already. You really got some nice Carreras and rare colors, too.Did you get them on ebay?[/quote']No. They were too expensive there in my opinion.

What? :DI think they are really cheap compared to others sunglasses. I found a lot for like 40-50$.Would you reveal your secret source?? :D

Wow! Your lucky! When I originally looked several years back, they wanted several hundered dollars for them. I also made sure I wasn't buying current copies, but actual 80's vintage glasses.I think I paid about what you found them for. I found all three of them in Los Angeles.

Hehe, yeah every now and then some want 250$ for a pair with case. But I bought some in excellent condition for only 40$. Here in Germany I even got a pair for 30$ :DBut I'm still looking for a tortoise model like the one you have, really rare model :)

Hehe' date=' yeah every now and then some want 250$ for a pair with case. But I bought some in excellent condition for only 40$. Here in Germany I even got a pair for 30$ :DBut I'm still looking for a tortoise model like the one you have, really rare model :)[/quote']These sunglasses were made closer to your home than mine. Imports can be expensive here. We're far away from Europe.The original 80's RAY BAN WAYFARER's were made in the U.S., so that's why something made here is cheaper in the U.S., than an import from AUSTRIA.

That's true. But I also noticed that over the winter time they sell around 20% less the common price. So, I made some good deals recently.Such a shame the Alpina M1 STILL is soo pricey. :D

That's true. But I also noticed that over the winter time they sell around 20% less the common price. So' date=' I made some good deals recently.Such a shame the Alpina M1 STILL is soo pricey. :D[/quote']Some people ask absurd prices for things. :) Don't fall for it. A nice priced item will surface at some point. Be patient.I don't ever wear the Carreras, I only bought them for the MIAMI VICE connection to the show. Carreras don't look good on me. Wayfarers look awesome on me! They are the only sunglasses I wear.

The most expensive one still is the Alpina TR4, damn, you can buy a car or an Alpina TR4 :DHaha, I wear Carreras mostly, because I've got a rather large head, so Wayfarers look rather tiny on my face, but I still try to mix them for the correct Vice feel. :DBut still your Carrera collection is excellent. :)

The most expensive one still is the Alpina TR4' date=' damn, you can buy a car or an Alpina TR4 :DHaha, I wear Carreras mostly, because I've got a rather large head, so Wayfarers look rather tiny on my face, but I still try to mix them for the correct Vice feel. :DBut still your Carrera collection is excellent. :)[/quote']I'm just the opposite! :) My head is not big, and the wayfarers look correct on me. Carreras make me look like a bug. :DYour collection is impressive. It takes quite a bit to impress me, trust me. :thumbsup:

Haha' date=' I have six Wayfarers at home, barely wearing two of them. They're starting to catch dust. :D[/quote']I also have six of them! :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

Hello excuse for not to open a new topic but I thought that for just an information it would be better to write here.

A couple of months ago I bought from Ebay a pair of 5512, for about 40€. Last week I was speaking with a good friend of mine about sunglasses and how did Carrera change from model 5512 to new version. He works for SAFILO group, the company that produces Carrera now. I show my 5512 and I said to me that carrera is producing a restyle,based on the 80's project called new champion.

www.carreraworld.com/newchampion

I noticed now that is more different that I thought, there's no brand between the bridges on the nose. And much more...

Edited by wax0r

• Administrators

Hello excuse for not to open a new topic but I thought that for just an information it would be better to write here.

A couple of months ago I bought from Ebay a pair of 5512, for about 40€. Last week I was speaking with a good friend of mine about sunglasses and how did Carrera change from model 5512 to new version. He works for SAFILO group, the company that produces Carrera now. I show my 5512 and I said to me that carrera is producing a restyle,based on the 80's project called champion.

I think I will buy a pair of the new ones.

The frame still looks square, much like the old Champion.

Old Champion's have been out for a while, though they look good, they don't look like 5512's.

I have a pair of them much like these: 

Carrera%20CHAMPION_ST%2084Z_IC.jpg

The frame is square where the 5512's are more curved.

3555_carrera5512.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

First image is Porsche P8480, second pair aren't Carrera's as far as I know.

But yeah, they are similar, the way the white is over the top of it. That's why I got my pair, was close enough to Tony Montana so I can walk around town feeling like a badass. :)