Carrera 5512 model comparison & identification

eXistenZ

Carrera Champion doesn't resemble 5512s that much. You'll need to search for Carrera "Endurance" models.

The overall shape looks pretty much the same, from what I can gather from photos. The metal parts of the temple are thinner halfway to the ear tips, though.

Endurance models seem to have a glossy surface-finish, while the original 5512s are rather flat.

The Endurance-model is as close as you can get to the old ones, but even these models might be out of stock soon. If you want one of these, you need to act now, when yo find them. At least in Europe, the black frame with silver or gold details is harder to get in 2015.

Lucky me, I found 5512s on ebay a couple of months ago, original lenses in decent condition, used but not too worn, with the original hardcase. Cost me slightly over 40€ incl. shipping in Germany.

• 2 years later...

Very nice topic !

I like Carrera sunglasses a lot, and own two pairs of 5512. I'd be interested in information about them, so here are thumbnails below.

The brown/green ones have "MADE IN AUSTRIA Mod. 5512 20" written on the left branch, and are more curved and "ergonomic".

The blue/grey ones say "MADE IN AUSTRIA Mod 5512 50". The color scheme looks far better IMHO but the shape is not as good as the other's.

If you can provide any information about these sunglasses, please tell me !

1523298790-20180409-183957.png

1523298844-20180409-184015.png

Edited by Kalwynn
  • Like 1

I’ve have two pairs, and one other that I sold after swapping the rose gradient lenses I needed from it:

- Solid brown with silver temples and rose gradient lenses (like C+T shared in season 1) that I always wear  

- Dark gray and greenish with silver temples and gray gradient lenses (like the barista at La Liberdad wears in season 3) that I never wear  

- Brown tortoise with gold temples and charcoal lenses (not seen in MV) that I sold after swapping the rose lenses out into my season 1 pair

All three were made in Austria and have various width and lens size numbers, but seem to fit/look exactly the same on me and side by side (size-wise). 

I have a big head, so out of the major screen-worn styles, the Carreras are the only MV shades that look good on me. 

Maybe someday I’ll come across a pair of Persols like season 3 that don’t cost a small fortune. 

Hope this helps!

7407E18A-01A2-4563-8DA2-B750CF428580.jpeg

• Like 1

Edit-

That pic above of my season 1 Carreras still has brown lenses. I hadn’t yet swapped the gradient rose lenses into them. It’s not a huge difference, but you can clearly see what I mean by “rose” when you look at this:

7DAA7DB9-B64A-4A7E-AC78-A8A56CBE33A4.jpeg

It also appears that they darkened the logo in the center of the frames (maybe with makeup?) when Crockett wore them, but it’s clearly bright yellow when Tubbs wears them. I know there were multiples on many of the costume items—maybe so with these. 

I'll try to take a picture with mine. Not sure it's the kind of glasses that suit me best as I don't have a very large head, still it's the kind of glasses I like.

I'm not too fond of wayfarers... :-×

Edited by Kalwynn

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/04/2018 at 3:51 AM, Dadrian said:

Edit-

That pic above of my season 1 Carreras still has brown lenses. I hadn’t yet swapped the gradient rose lenses into them. It’s not a huge difference, but you can clearly see what I mean by “rose” when you look at this:

7DAA7DB9-B64A-4A7E-AC78-A8A56CBE33A4.jpeg

Such a great still from the Pilot :hippie:

4 hours ago, Kalwynn said:

Hehe here are the 5512 shades in action... Austrian made glasses, and German car ! :wuerg:

1524998251-20180413-195019.png

Great.. thankyou for posting :D

• 5 months later...