PMT Interview 1985

Morgana

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

That December 1985 People magazine interview always got to me because I felt that journalist already addressed a negative tone or view of PMT. I personally didn't get the EGO/arrogant attitude on PMT like he/she had expressed. What I read was someone who was so excited & felt blessed to finally have success. From what I gather during that time he was someone who was very energetic & just wanted to fully express how he felt about himself, his life, & career at that time. May be he was too energetic & out-spoken but for a man who is at least considerate enough of speaking & caring for the cast & crew of Miami Vice at that time & wanted to give & be involved for his fans, I don't see how that would make him be arrogant or high Ego. That EGO/EGOT has not became legendary & I still think due to that interview it may have played a big part to why his career no went beyond Miami Vice. People still make jokes & bring up EGO/EGOT whenever his name pops-up.

That December 1985 People magazine interview always got to me because I felt that journalist already addressed a negative tone or view of PMT. I personally didn't get the EGO/arrogant attitude on PMT like he/she had expressed. What I read was someone who was so excited & felt blessed to finally have success. From what I gather during that time he was someone who was very energetic & just wanted to fully express how he felt about himself, his life, & career at that time. May be he was too energetic & out-spoken but for a man who is at least considerate enough of speaking & caring for the cast & crew of Miami Vice at that time & wanted to give & be involved for his fans, I don't see how that would make him be arrogant or high Ego. That EGO/EGOT has not became legendary & I still think due to that interview it may have played a big part to why his career no went beyond Miami Vice. People still make jokes & bring up EGO/EGOT whenever his name pops-up.

When I read that interview, it seemed to me that PMT was just trying to be funny, and most of the stuff he was saying was just tongue-in-cheek, as if he's kind of making fun of the media. That's what I gleaned from it. People use this interview and the way he was in those days to make fun of him all the time. He was the butt of jokes on late-night talk shows for a long time. But I think he was just being tongue-in-cheek and a bit sardonic because he probably didn't like the way the media was and wanted to give them a show. That's the kind of person he strikes me as. Unfortunately,  it was misunderstood, and yes it also led to him having nothing after Miami Vice. I also read about the people who actually knew him in person, and the reason why he had financial troubles after MV. They said it was because he was so generous that he would buy expensive things for people who were just acquaintances, and seems like some people saw that and took advantage of his generosity.

Edited by viceystyle
  • Like 1