Jan's Best Ep Score

Dadrian

"incoming" song by JH is in "back in the world" when the mortar shells are landing next to the Scarab (boat) while crockett and stone are reminiscing about the war.

woops, there is no music in this scene, sorry :o

Now No fretz and The Talk are confused and it's my fault! ;) :oOk at least I know the title now.Sorry guys, thanks for your patience: I'll call Santa for an extra gift to both of you.Merry Christmas!

To this day, I can't figure out why Jan didn't publish the "Phil the Shill" theme. 1. It's one of his best compositions. Many of his themes enhance the mood of an episode or scene. This music actually transforms the episode. Without that theme, it's a very light-hearted superficial fun episode. With the theme, there is a depth to it, a somber mood that pervades the episode, making it so much more emotionally complex. Everybody is having fun playing games (Sara, Phil, etc), but there are serious consequences because these are dangerous games they are playing. This theme doesn't let you forget that.2. It was long enough, already "fleshed out" into a full song, unlike some of the other cues that he had to work on to make CD-ready.

To this day' date=' I can't figure out why Jan didn't publish the "Phil the Shill" theme. 1. It's one of his best compositions. Many of his themes enhance the mood of an episode or scene. This music actually transforms the episode. Without that theme, it's a very light-hearted superficial fun episode. With the theme, there is a depth to it, a somber mood that pervades the episode, making it so much more emotionally complex. Everybody is having fun playing games (Sara, Phil, etc), but there are serious consequences because these are dangerous games they are playing. This theme doesn't let you forget that.2. It was long enough, already "fleshed out" into a full song, unlike some of the other cues that he had to work on to make CD-ready.[/quote']have you been reading my diary? :)

Oh dear, there was no competition for my favorite, but it's not on your list.Payback! :cry:Quite possibly my favorite MV ep, and no doubt, my favorite Jan Hammer song. I've been known to listen to that song for hours on end and not get tired of it. This has been about, oh, 3 or 4 years now that I've had access to it... :pOf the ones there, I had to vote for Prodigal Son. However, it was basically a toss-up between it, Evan, LMD, and The Great McCarthy.Outside of Payback, Chasing Berrigan (aka When Irish Eyes are Crying) would likely rank as my number 2. Brother's Keeper is also high up there, along with Lombard, the Golden Triangles, and a few later eps from S4 that tend to go the darker route...

Prodigal Son gets my vote from the list. It uses Jan's staple "Slow theme" (nofretz's covername) to great effect. From the swamps of the everglades to the towers of uptown New York. The arrangements all fit perfectly.There are way too many honarable mentions to list but a couple that comes to mind is mirror image s4. Great cues throughout. Also s1 the maze has great stuff. A ton of Jan cues never released..

• 1 month later...

The problem here is that some of these eps don't use all that much original material. Prodigal Son has three new cues, one of which is only a few notes long. The rest of the ep has recycled cues from earlier episodes.Payback has a nice score, but the music was actually written for Little Prince and Tale of the Goat. It works fine in Payback with the added keyboard riffs, but the music had already been used elsewhere in the series.I would have submitted Hit List, Rites of Passage, Give a Little Take a Little, and The Maze, but I'll have to check out the diary to see what got entered there about those eps...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My favourites are "The Prodigal Son" which has such a great score - but I also like the "Phil the Shill" score too particularly when C&T trail Rivers and the Fairground ending

My favourites are "The Prodigal Son" which has such a great score - but I also like the "Phil the Shill" score too particularly when C&T trail Rivers and the Fairground ending

you have downloaded my cover of this, right, matt?it's not exact, but it'll get you thru."i no perfect, mang" :cry:

evan is such a powerful episode. jan appropiately stepped up to the plate for that one, and hit a grand slam! (pardon the expression non-americans, i love baseball)

One of my favorite pieces of music written for Evan is the music that plays when Evan pulls a gun on sonny on his boat. "One for you,....one for me. Let's go together." Love the sequencers!!Also the scene where Evan is told to set up the deal when his boss is lifted out of the pool in the morning. That's a cool, dark piece!

• 2 months later...

sorry i missed this. both of those scenes are actually derived from the same cue. it really is an awesome piece. that's why shill keeps asking for it. i have most of the sounds, but i can't figure out yet how to get those low key, conga-like drums in the background. jan had SO MANY drum sounds that were exclusive to him. maybe i'll figure it out one day...

evan is such a powerful episode. jan appropiately stepped up to the plate for that one' date=' and hit a grand slam! (pardon the expression non-americans, i love baseball)[/quote']We play baseball in England too though. I'm quite a good right fielder :)

We play baseball in England too though. I'm quite a good right fielder :)

i tend to get way out in left field some times :)about the guzman song, i think i remeber finding a loop point for these drums (which would enable me to make a decent cover). i'll check into it again.