Tim Truman interview??

trumanfan

Why on earth isn't there a single interview with TT about his career in music and/or his involvment with Miami Vice?I'm a friend with him on Facebook and I have tried a few times to conduct an e-mail interview with him, but no luck.Here are the questions I mailed to him last year. Looking at the questions now, I wish I had asked him more questions about MV, because it is most probably the most interesting part of his career.If any of you guys can answer some of these questions, write it here!Is it correct that the first score you wrote was for an episode of Fame in 1984? How did you enter the business and what did you do the following years? Then, you scored your first feature film, Final Cut, in 1988. Two other composers are also credited. What can you say about this score? Many fans know you from the 20 episodes of Miami Vice that you scored in 1988/89. How did you land that gig? Did you enjoy working on that series? The electric guitar-work in Miami Vice is very strong. Who performed these guitars? What is the current status on getting your MV-music released on CD? Are any of your other scores in the MV-vein? Do you know why Jan Hammer scored 14 episodes of MV with a composer named John Petersen in 1987/88? Did you keep in touch with Hammer after MV? Did you keep in touch with Michael Mann in the 90s? Was there ever any talk of you scoring Heat for him?Did you score L.A. Takedown after Miami Vice had been cancelled? I seem to remember that some of your MV music was featured here, like the Freefall theme for instance? What kind of music did you write for the 1990 C. Thomas Howell feature film Kid? What can you say about your score to Mikey (1992)? The soundtrack album for South Central sadly doesn't contain any of your music. Was this a disappointment? What kind of score did you write? You scored the TV movie In The Company Of Darkness for director David Anspaugh in 1993, a man known for hiring contemporary composers/producers like Tangerine Dream, David Foster and Keith Forsey. How was this experience? Tell us about scoring The Price Of Love (1995). Did you enjoy scoring almost 80 episodes of Melrose Place in the mid 90s? How was this different from scoring Miami Vice? Did you write all the music for the Sunset Beach TV series? Tell us about the Tim Truman character in the series. In the late 90s you scored feature films like Retroactive, Boogie Boy and Angel's Dance. How were these experiences? You hooked up with South Central director Stephen Anderson again in the film Cash earlier this year. Your name is on the poster, but Jesse Voccia is credited as composer on imdb. What happened here? You haven't written many new scores this millennium. Why is that? Have you been doing other things of interest? What can you say about the Tontine project? You are criminally under-represented on CD. Is *any* of your music available commercially? Have you written any orchestral scores? How would you say your music has changed through the years? What are your future plans as a composer?

WOW!Very professional and journalisticly laid out! Cudos.I would love to hear the responses to these questions. I wonder why he is so closed-mouthed about his many successes? He must be modest???I also agree with you that he really did save MV and did a great job of scoring season five. Some really memorable tunes and I have a few on my mp3 player that I listen to often. He should know he has a fan base and people like what he has accomplished.

• Administrators

I have e-mailed back and forth with Tim several times over the past few years. I keep hearing about meetings with Universal executives and promises of an upcoming album of Vice music but nothing ever materializes. I hate to say it but i've lost faith in the promises. I can give you his e-mail if you care to try.

I have e-mailed back and forth with Tim several times over the past few years. I keep hearing about meetings with Universal executives and promises of an upcoming album of Vice music but nothing ever materializes. I hate to say it but i've lost faith in the promises. I can give you his e-mail if you care to try.

Thanks, but I already have his e-mail. Like you, I have e-mailed a couple if times with him.Here is a mail I received from him in 2003:Hi - Thank you for writing~ << Is any of your music from MV available on CD? >> not yet - I am trying to gain permission from Universal Studios to release the original Masters - NOT re-records. very curious to know whether you were asked to "ape" the Jan Hammer-sound Michael Mann told me to write the show any way I felt. He gave me complete freedom. I learned so many things from Michael. Did you write a new main theme too - No - they Used the original theme. Did you know when you started that MV would only last for one more season the ratings going into the final season were dropping. Universal implied that the 5th year was it. During that season they fell even more - Didn't Hammer want to score the last season of the show, or was he "thrown out"? Hammer choose to leave - he was in high demand to cross over to films.~I, of course, am glad he did.He would call me up and say - "They are not playing your music loud enough!!" love that guy.... Are you the composer of the Sunset Beach sax main theme too, or am I wrong there? I've searched high and low for that theme Yes, - I wrote the theme that was used in the first year or so. Michael Palo is playing that sax. GREAT player - I liked that theme.NBC owns the master to that one - it's up to them to release it. I am currently scoring "JEREMIAH" for SHOWTIME. The second season premieres on OCT. 10th at 10pm. they are going to rerun last years pilot at 8pm.Big & wonderful music.I love this one... Best Regards, Tim Truman

WOW!Very professional and journalisticly laid out! Cudos.I would love to hear the responses to these questions. I wonder why he is so closed-mouthed about his many successes? He must be modest???I also agree with you that he really did save MV and did a great job of scoring season five. Some really memorable tunes and I have a few on my mp3 player that I listen to often. He should know he has a fan base and people like what he has accomplished.

Thanks. I have done a few other interviews, with composers Jay Ferguson, Paul Haslinger, Paul Hertzog, Jonathan Elias, Øystein Sevåg, Erik Wøllo and Edgar Rothermich, plus director Bobby Roth.I don't really think he's modest, I guess he thinks it's too much hassle to do an e-mail interview like this. I think he knows perfectly well that he has quite a fan-base too.

There is in fact an article (including an interview) about Tim. I once tried to find it online (now the link is gone) and in paper. No luck.Keyboard Magazine, issue July 1989, "Closing the final curtain on Miami Vice"Maybe one of you has more luck.

There is in fact an article (including an interview) about Tim. I once tried to find it online (now the link is gone) and in paper. No luck.Keyboard Magazine' date=' issue July 1989, "Closing the final curtain on Miami Vice"Maybe one of you has more luck.[/quote']WHAT?? I would give an arm and a leg for that interview. I don't understand why it should be impossible to find it.I guess I'll have to try...Edit: Is it this one? No international shipping, so I can't buy it, but maybe one of you guys can?http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280810546681

The Ebay seller kindly agreed to sell the magazine to me, so now is the Truman interview on the way to me...Really looking forward to it. It's a one and a half pages article.

I received the 1989 Keyboard Magazine today.Holy cow! So fun to read it, although it was quite short. There is a picture of a VERY young-looking Truman (30) in his studio. The article by Robert L Doerschuk revelals several things I didn't know of, like the fact that Patrick O'Hearn was Truman's biggest contender about getting the MV-gig. Truman had greater experience in TV, and landed the gig.Truman also says that he had total freedom with the music, and that he could even have uesd an orchestra if he needed one!Sometimes he didn't even watch the whole show before he started scoring scenes from the beginning.The guitar parts are actually performed by Michael Thompson. So then we can put the rumours about Truman performing the guitars himself to rest.The workload that year was immense. Truman almost forgot to eat...He received offers from Passport Records about solo projects, which never materialized.All in all, a very nice article that I will cherish forever... :-D

I received the 1989 Keyboard Magazine today.Holy cow! So fun to read it' date=' although it was quite short. There is a picture of a VERY young-looking Truman (30) in his studio. The article by Robert L Doerschuk revelals several things I didn't know of, like the fact that Patrick O'Hearn was Truman's biggest contender about getting the MV-gig. Truman had greater experience in TV, and landed the gig.Truman also says that he had total freedom with the music, and that he could even have uesd an orchestra if he needed one!Sometimes he didn't even watch the whole show before he started scoring scenes from the beginning.The guitar parts are actually performed by Michael Thompson. So then we can put the rumours about Truman performing the guitars himself to rest.The workload that year was immense. Truman almost forgot to eat...He received offers from Passport Records about solo projects, which never materialized.All in all, a very nice article that I will cherish forever... :-D[/quote']great info, thanks! Maybe you can put the interview in here in full length, if your time permits.Did Tim also mention that he earned much less than Jan Hammer? Jan cashed 45,000 USD per episode, Tim only less than 10.

Hey TimJust a question.... if you were introduced to Vice by Don Johnson....dont you think you should do something really amazing to Don, introducing him to us, and granting a cool interview with him?:D

He didn't mention anything about payment. 10000 dollars may be less than 45000, but still, 200 000 dollars on the one year he worked on it is a pretty nice salary...

@trumanfan' date='Please put the interview in pdf. format (or as jpg. images) :)[/quote']I have no idea how I do that. Feel free to try to explain. I'm a computer moron, LOL.

Hey TimJust a question.... if you were introduced to Vice by Don Johnson....dont you think you should do something really amazing to Don' date=' introducing him to us, and granting a cool interview with him?:D[/quote']I'm afraid Tim is not reading this forum...

I have no idea how I do that. Feel free to try to explain. I'm a computer moron' date=' LOL.[/quote']@trumanfan Do you have image scanner? Could you scan this interview? :)