Miami Vice in HD

BATMAN

Hey Guys. Just wanted to pass on a little info. I work for a company that does work for Universal and have recently seen the High Definition masters of Miami Vice the tv series.And they look Terrific! Colors, black levels, all look great. They have very obviously gone back to the original camera negatives for this. Full 1080p. And all full frame 4X3. Just as it was shot. No cropping. Also, I've seen episodes from all 5 seasons. I don't think they are being done in any discernable order. Here comes Vice in HD! Will post more info when I get it. Best Regards,BATMAN

• Like 1

Hey Guys. Just wanted to pass on a little info. I work at Universal and have recently seen the High Definition masters of Miami Vice the tv series.And they look Terrific! Colors' date=' black levels, all look great. They have very obviously gone back to the original camera negatives for this. Full 1080p. And all full frame 4X3. Just as it was shot. No cropping. Also, I've seen episodes from all 5 seasons. I don't think they are being done in any discernable order. Here comes Vice in HD! Will post more info when I get it. Best Regards,BATMAN[/quote']If it's in full 1080p, wouldn't it have to have been actually filmed in digital, and not film?

Answering your question

If it's in full 1080p' date=' wouldn't it have to have been actually filmed in digital, and not film?[/quote']No, actually. They can scan the original negatives, clean it up if they please (which is extremely expensive), and transfer it digitally on the HD output, such as Blu-Ray; so no, it is not filmed digitally. Actual film used.Only thing I don't think would make it released would be all of the licensing issues.

No' date=' actually. They can scan the original negatives, clean it up if they please (which is extremely expensive), and transfer it digitally on the HD output, such as Blu-Ray; so no, it is not filmed digitally. Actual film used.Only thing I don't think would make it released would be all of the licensing issues.[/quote']Well, if he's on the up and up, then Universal plans to do something with it, even if it's blu-ray if they are investing the money and time into it. Hopefully this is legit, and not someone else claiming something that isn't true. I'd love for this to be true. Can't blame us for being skeptical, but people come here claiming things before.BATMAN, I welcome you to this site! What more can you tell us about yourself, and MIAMI VICE in HD?

Id love this to be true but really have my doubts, as mentioned the cost of doing this would be very high and is there really the market to justify it?

I saw a commercial for the TV series "FRIENDS", that said it was digitally remastered in HD. It's being broadcast on TV in HD. (I'm guessing they will eventually sell it on DVD too, although they didn't mention it would be sold.)Half hour comedies are much, MUCH more popular, and profitable for such things, that's why having them do it to MIAMI VICE seems wonderful for us, but an odd choice when other shows seem more important to do first when it comes to profit.

In terms of Licencing agreements, we don't know what agreements were made for the original DVD releases. Perhaps they put in a clause that indicates that the licencing of songs extends to other re-issues, or perhaps has a time limit when they run out, and Universal has to meet that deadline, so they are doing MIAMI VICE in HD first to keep within the time limit.

Hi again!Thanks for the welcome. I wouldn't joke around with this. I'm a huge Miami Vice fan.I don't work at USHE (Universal Studios Home Entertainment). I work in their Post Productiondivision. We do work on all things Universal. I can't tell at what resolution they scanned the original negatives....yet. 4k perhaps? But they do look GREAT! The negatives look to be in very good shape. No scratches or excessive dirt. This is NOT an up-rez of the masters they used for the dvd box set. Universal is beginning to go back and do this to a lot of NBC's shows. So I'm sure much more is on the way. And I'm pretty sure a blu ray release is somewhere in the not too distant future!As well as on-demand type platforms.I will definately try and get some more info to you all. Best Wishes,BATMAN

• Like 1

Hi again!Thanks for the welcome. I wouldn't joke around with this. I'm a huge Miami Vice fan.I don't work at USHE (Universal Studios Home Entertainment). I work in their Post Productiondivision. We do work on all things Universal. I can't tell at what resolution they scanned the original negatives....yet. 4k perhaps? But they do look GREAT! The negatives look to be in very good shape. No scratches or excessive dirt. This is NOT an up-rez of the masters they used for the dvd box set. Universal is beginning to go back and do this to a lot of NBC's shows. So I'm sure much more is on the way. And I'm pretty sure a blu ray release is somewhere in the not too distant future!As well as on-demand type platforms.I will definately try and get some more info to you all. Best Wishes' date='BATMAN[/quote']Sounds great BATMAN!While your here, why not check out my COOPER&BURNETT SCRAPBOOK SECTION?WELCOME!Want to see Don Johnson's blazers he wore in MIAMI VICE, and VICE photoshoots? I own several! How about rare MIAMI VICE cast and crew items? How about photos from scenes in MIAMI VICE that were cut from the show??Would you like to see props from the show?The actual script to the pilot episode? And....much, MUCH more?Then visit my Personal, Private collection of items in the COOPER&BURNETT SCRAPBOOK SECTION!Click here to view all the incredible threads!http://www.miamiviceonline.com/forum...Vice-Scrapbook-COOP

BATMAN, Tell whoever is going to do the sound mastering, that if they isolate JAN HAMMER's instrumental tracks, and makes a copy, I'll pay them a small fortune.If you've seen what I have in my MIAMI VICE collection, and know what I've paid for them, you'd know I'm serious. How can we make this happen?-COOP

Sounds great but I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah,I too pal but that sounds very great!If this news true this is very excellent news!Thanks and welcome to aboard BATMAN!

I thought many Miami Vice movie rolls was destroyed in a burning at Universal time ago... Not being against your word, but ...I just believe when i see it too.

I thought many Miami Vice movie rolls was destroyed in a burning at Universal time ago... Not being against your word' date=' but ...I just believe when i see it too.[/quote']This is a misconception that I have tried to explain before. Master copies of films we NOT destroyed in the fire, only copies were destroyed.Master copies of TV and films are safe. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. If it's true' date=' i'll buy a Blu-ray player only for this! :happy:[/quote']Ditto.