Episode #47 "Killshot"

Ferrariman

Yeah, Desire by Yello was one of the best aspects to this episode...superb and "haunting" song! :radio:

Yes Yello would feature in Season 4 also  :D  :)  :done:  :cool:

Just three episodes into Season 3 - you can really see they have stepped up production - its sleeker, more defined with great cinematography. 

Its also even more about Don Johnson as known as "The Don Johnson Show" . Very little screen time for Stan, Gina, Larry and Trudy. Even less screen time for Tubbs.

:D  :)  :done:  :fireworks: 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The reason I keep coming back to this episode is because of the intro, I love the song Eminence Front by The Who, I think I can consider that one of my favourite songs of all time, it's brilliant and it works perfectly with Vice.

7/10.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I always enjoy this episode, and I don't usually serve up my score right away, but I'll place the ball at 8/10.

Nice story-line with the Jai alai as component. Some of the scenes in this one are amazing, especially from a visual standpoint... that quick moment when Gina enters the club, filmed while climbing the stairs, washed in electric chartreuse green neon light. As others have mentioned, the opening sequence is pure classic Vice with the boat action, Sonny's lines and the magnificent track by The Who as a solid sonic backdrop.

I think we're at a place in the series now, when any character such as Frank Arriola first appears, we might have that subtle hint of suspicion from the start. (As in, "alright, what is this guy's story and how will he be somehow involved in a dramatic ending?"). Certainly, we are not disappointed and our initial sixth sense predictive whispers come to full shouting fruition.

The prostitute murder plot was an intriguing original idea, and as it spills into the blackmail situation I was genuinely impressed with the writers. A good episode of Miami Vice is built on many elements, and this cohesive story line is one which is executed well. The slower moments never seem to drag, but instead slowly build in a captivating way to the the tragic end. There is almost a classic literary vibe to this heartfelt story of brothers, trapped in in different aspects of a unfortunate desperate situation, and in Tico's case, compounded by addiction. 

What really happens at the end? The episode cuts out before any meticulous reveal of the gunfire aftermath. Just as a skillfully served jai alai ball can exceed speeds of 150mph, the story is brought to an fast, emotional abrupt close. Good art stays with the beholder, to ponder long after the viewing, and this episode in a masterful way... does just that.

• Like 2

(snipped)  Also loved the way that Jai alai played a role. fascinating sport and I still regret immensely that during the time I lived in Miami, I didn't go and visit a jai alai game. (snipped) The madame was an evil bitch for framing Tico, killing the call girl and killing Morales and almost killing Tico's brother (sorry forgot the name.) Great episode with a nice twist at the end. I think Tico commited suicide, poor guy was totally on the edge and saw no way out. Surely the drugs accelerated the process, but it was disaster waiting to happen. Felt very sorry for the brother who seemed like a good guy.And of course poor Crockett got screwed over once again by a friend.  (snipped).

The opening sequence was classic Vice, and I loved it when Crockett told Silvio to swim back :)

Once again we had an episode that featured something uniquely South Florida (in the US) with Jai-alai.  The Miami Jai-Alai Fronton (featured in the ep) is the biggest in the world with a record audience of 15,502 people in 27 December 1975, according to Wikipedia.  The twists and interconnections between Morales, Isabel Bautista, Tico, and Frank, that led to fatal results for the young prostitute, Tico's suicidal act (or was it distraction/inattention when he noticed the police officers?) in the jai-alai game, and (almost!) to Crockett and Tubbs on the parking garage roof, were nail-bitingly tense to watch.  You have to wonder how long Isabel was planning her blackmail scheme, and wonder if she was the mastermind behind it all.  She was willing even to eliminate Morales (during the ep I thought he was a brother or cousin, but maybe not!).  No one could stand in her way once she decided on a plan of action.

I always enjoy this episode, and I don't usually serve up my score right away, but I'll place the ball at 8/10. (snipped)

I think we're at a place in the series now, when any character such as Frank Arriola first appears, we might have that subtle hint of suspicion from the start. (As in, "alright, what is this guy's story and how will he be somehow involved in a dramatic ending?"). Certainly, we are not disappointed and our initial sixth sense predictive whispers come to full shouting fruition.

The prostitute murder plot was an intriguing original idea, and as it spills into the blackmail situation I was genuinely impressed with the writers. A good episode of Miami Vice is built on many elements, and this cohesive story line is one which is executed well. (snipped) 

What really happens at the end? The episode cuts out before any meticulous reveal of the gunfire aftermath. Just as a skillfully served jai alai ball can exceed speeds of 150mph, the story is brought to an fast, emotional abrupt close. Good art stays with the beholder, to ponder long after the viewing, and this episode in a masterful way... does just that.

DeepCover333, you always have a masterful summing-up!  Indeed it was pretty evident from Frank's first appearance that something was going to happen with him--but what would it be?  I thought the disparate threads of the plot were skillfully woven into a cohesive and believable whole.

I do wonder what happened to poor Frank Arriola.  To learn that the brother for whom he sacrificed everything--including his integrity as a law-enforcement agent--had died just as he was prepared to throw his entire career and even his freedom away, had to feel like his whole reason for existence had been wiped out.  I ponder whether he turned his weapon on himself.

I had a busy weekend with company and had been putting off viewing this ep, which I couldn't remember very well.  But it definitely had a lot of the elements that are classic Vice to me.  Something really Miami (jai-alai and the boat action), an engrossing story, good music (Mercy Street was my favorite), good cinematography--not that I know much about it, and some classic Castillo close to the chest strategy.     

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 1

Killshot is an episode that speaks of great overall production quality. It features solid acting by both stars and guest actors and its soundtrack includes some great music. The story is centered on two brothers of which one works in law enforcement and the other becomes accused of murder. This is an eventful and meaningful episode, yet it doesn't strike me as being very memorable when compared to other great episodes in S3. Due to this I rate it 7/10.

• 5 months later...

This !

On 11.10.2015 at 2:22 AM, DeepCover333 said:

Some of the scenes in this one are amazing, especially from a visual standpoint... that quick moment when Gina enters the club, filmed while climbing the stairs, washed in electric chartreuse green neon light.

This is one of the best episodes of MV. IMO the storyline is great, it's tragic how both Ariola's lives are messed up by Batista (she's the one who's running Merida's operations there so I blame her ;) ).

And this !

On 11.10.2015 at 2:22 AM, DeepCover333 said:

Good art stays with the beholder, to ponder long after the viewing, and this episode in a masterful way... does just that.

Damn dude, you're good with words ! Exactly this is what's great in Vice - when an ep closes abruptly like this you really think and rewind the episodes events in your mind. Nothing like "The good guy kills the bad, kisses the girl. Game over, the end. Good night" where you just go "Great flick".

Loved this episode, I'll give it a clean 10 !!!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

what is this in background. someone knows what is it. if you ask me, i'd say it's a kind of conquistador torture chair, but pure speculation

CCE8ggN.jpg

Edited by jpm1

• 6 months later...

Pretty mixed on this episode.

On the plus side, it has a fantastic opening, a good plot, and a good Vice feeling.

On the down side, the acting of the two brothers isn't up to much. And honestly, its just not that memorable.

Great music as usual. One of the things I've noticed about the first half of S3 is the great production values.

6/10

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just watched it.  And it was better than I remember.

-Big points for the opening/pre-credit sequence;  The Who “Eminence Front.”  A dark and dirty harbor.  Sonny on the Scarab.  Ridiculous puffy-purple Silvio.  Great night-time boat chase.
-Frank and Ticco 
Arriola:  Cool characters.  Frank I think is the only Basque Federal Agent in American cop show history.  Nice twist on the angle for the set-up on Ticco.  Terrible yet perfectly “Vice” last name.
-Intense Muscle-Chick:   She’s supposed to somehow be menacing/oddly-sexy as Bautista’s bodyguard/maybe lover?  Yet all she does is brood in the background and shift around like her feet really hurt.  Until she gets killed by a single shot from a .38.  I think she’s the only Intense Muscle-Chick in the whole series.  They should have given her a scene where she gets to do something cool like crush a man’s head with her...  Ummm.   Muscles?
-Isabel Bautista:  Dirty-hot in that hot-dirty 80’s way.  Some meaty calves though.  Maybe she met up with Intense Muscle-Chick a few times during filming for leg day?
-The Caddy on the roof of the parking garage:  One of the legendary bloopers, as the flash pan and pyro set-up is clearly visible in the shot.
-Jai Alai:  Cool/weird sport.  Like Basque Cricket, but far more dangerous as anything Basque is apt to be.  
-Another Crockett “NO/DON’T”-freezeframe ending.

Overall I give it 3.9 stars out of 5.  Or if we are using the 10 point-must, I give it an 7.5.  Minus half a point for wasting the opportunity to use Intense Muscle-Chick for some gratuitous creepy-cool-sexy-muscle-chick-fu.  (Shameless Joe-Bob Briggs movie review reference.  For extra ‘80’s flavor.)

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

One of the better episodes in season 3. 

8/10

Agreed. This one definitely held my interest. The characters were well-developed and the acting credible. Another cop (Custom's Agent), turning to the dark side, this time, to save his brother. I'd give it an 8/10 as well. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 7:55 PM, mjcmmv said:

Agreed. This one definitely held my interest. The characters were well-developed and the acting credible. Another cop (Custom's Agent), turning to the dark side, this time, to save his brother. I'd give it an 8/10 as well. 

It kind of has what a Vice fan wants - Interesting story, great music, brilliant intro, ending was surprising. The villain is one of the best in the show, she was total cold hearted bitch and her acting was first rate, and we got a special guest star from Scarface.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

It kind of has what Vice fan wants - Interesting story, great music, brilliant intro, ending was surprising. The villain is one of the best in the show, she was total cold hearted bitch and her acting was first rate, and we got a special guest star from Scarface.

Definitely a winner!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty interesting story and honestly quite depressing. The intro though is the true greatest, Eminence Front is amazing, and it's incredible how the song drops when Crockett hands the briefcase over. Pure 80s and pure Vice. If only Tico knew he was innocent. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Watched this again last night, its one of favorite episodes. The actress who played Isabelle was so impressive, why she didn't get more top roles is beyond me.

Edited by RedDragon86

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Watched this again last night, its one of favorite episodes. The actress who played Isabelle was so impressive, why she didn't more top roles is beyond me.

Yes great episode and she was great Maria Duvall played the femme fatale well.

• Like 1

Amazing episode, much better than the previous one.

It feels more Classic Vice. Good acting, good story. Amazing music.

I like the character who gives "blanche card" to Gina when she wants to talk to the hooker. Swag 100%

Some of the storyline reminded me of "The Fix" (season 2)

I'll give it a 9/10

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sebax said:

I like the character who gives "blanche card" to Gina when she wants to talk to the hooker. Swag 100%

I'll give it a 9/10

Agreed!  "Irish Eyes" was good..."Stone's War" was better...."Killshot" was more my style.  Every time I hear "Eminence Front" I think of this episode.  Also....Muscle Chick deserved her own series! :D

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sebax said:

I'll give it a 9/10

I agree, its a classic Vice episode. :thumbsup:

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I love this episode. It’s very bleak, but very enjoyable. Great cast and great music. I mean great song after great song! The Who, Iggy Pop, Yello, Peter Gabriel, etc. They could have just released a “Miami Vice: Killshot Soundtrack”. And Isabel is a great femme fatale!

However, whenever I hear this title, I instantly think of the Steve Carell/Tina Fey movie! Anybody else? “KILLSHOT! THAT’S A KILLSHOT!” :)

2 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I love this episode. It’s very bleak, but very enjoyable. Great cast and great music. I mean great song after great song! The Who, Iggy Pop, Yello, Peter Gabriel, etc. They could have just released a “Miami Vice: Killshot Soundtrack”. And Isabel is a great femme fatale!

However, whenever I hear this title, I instantly think of the Steve Carell/Tina Fey movie! Anybody else? “KILLSHOT! THAT’S A KILLSHOT!” :)

I agree!  I’ve always enjoyed this episode.  It highlights Miami’s unique culture very well.  From central Florida north, the state is regionally Southern, but Miami is its own world.  Kind of like New Orleans or Montreal, just different than what’s around them.  I remember watching it when it aired originally while I was in high school.  It was the first I had heard of jai alai and the Basque community.  It was so unique.  I also thought it seemed a little ripe for fixing by the Trafficante family?  That could have been a cool Vice story too.  Of course Miami also has parimutuel betting on dog racing too, so.... 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched Killshot for 100th time...Being from Alabama the only sport here is SEC football, question...Jai Alai players jerseys have different numbers on the front and back.. wondering.

3 hours ago, 305Vice said:

Just watched Killshot for 100th time...Being from Alabama the only sport here is SEC football, question...Jai Alai players jerseys have different numbers on the front and back.. wondering.

Hmm never noticed. Good question. Where in Alabama are you?