The Car thread

Kavinsky

This time around, instead of finding out that ferrari both tractor gearboxes in their early cars, and that's what set Mr Lambo off on Enzo, we have a look at a rare MX 5 COUPE from 2003 to 05 out of JP and the new 2015 Mustang

posted by Wasabi Cars on youtube, a really great aussie currently living in Japan, and that is a FACTORY COUPE, one of some less than 200 produced.and sorry about not being able to post the video in the message, that still is a little wonky on here since the overhaul and I can only attach one video below at present.
and my take on the new mustang is this: it looks smaller and sleaker, and will take some getting used to, but it overal is an evolution rather than a throw everything away and start over take on it like they did with the new C7and you know how I feel about that thing.but however I can see myself growing to like it overtime, its just going to take some getting used to and it kinda reminds me of a modern Bentley Continental GThttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentley_Continental_GTalthough ironically I remember coming across some concept version of the mustang from a 1970 Autoshow and I swear it looked like the new one does.

also for anyone wondering how to wire a car, the group from roadkill did an engine swap over to a fuel injected motor here, and this part is pretty much just the wiring

and its as headspinning as you would think it is, and I've been watching this thing for a good 4 days now, and I'm finally on the final part and honestly I've been playing this in the background while watching this part
here's the other two parts for reference, where they pull something that looks like mad maxes blower out of it
which was actually a drag scoop on it, which apparently only one person had the forethought to ask the maker about on the interceptor only recently.
better latter than never.also if you want to see a different spin on the interceptor take a look here:
its amazing how different the headlights look with black lines over it instead of Yellow/Gold
although I'm surprised they didnt replace the white lights on the bottom with blinkers on alot of these like what was done with this onehttp://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-...oup/index.htmlhttp://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-...tor/index.htmlas it just seems more functional.and this is the reverse of the black/clear deal, with the normal gold/yellow on blacked out headlight covershttp://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-fans/mad-max-replica-cars/mad-max-interceptors/gordon-hayes-big-block/index.htmlalso I found a video of a modern Lamborghini in an old school solid color and it does seem to make it look better
the interior though, that is a different story with that color combination.

Stinger I cant help but ask after thinking about it some more but did he say what that transmision was on that 1968 Mustang? was it a 4 speed top loader with a prototype 2 speed overdrive? I mean was it anything or something on it that made it to productionas that would be pretty kick ass to have the old H pattern shifter with a 2 speed overdrive on it for when you just want to save gas just by hitting a switch on the floor with that 428 interceptor in it.hell wonder just how much that would improve the mileage on an old big block, as they had to fill those things up 3 times a shift when they had them on cop cars at the 11 minute mark

with basically a range of about a 100 miles, but what a hundred miles.Anyways onto what I wanted to write on, some hope From Automobilia Lamborghini finally, weirdly after making the ugliest car I've ever seen in my life
they suddenly come out with what I thought a new Jalpa Could have looked like, mixed with the estoque really.
as I had the idea as a way to bring lamborghini back to the way it was, that I would have done like a 2 seat coupe version of the estoquehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:La..._Estoque_2.JPGrigged up with a 6 Cylinder motor producing about 500 HP made to be as Light as possible, I would say 5 actually as I love the sound of an inline 5, its kind of one of the unsung hero's of europe, there version of a V8 but that would be too german for an italian car
and that is the sound of the detuned american version no less, by about 40 hp of its 200inline 6 though, it is properly italian/british really
or even just 300 which is entirely possible seeing as the camaro has one of those in it now.so for the first time in about 10 years I can proudly well done lamborghini and thank you for getting away from the stupid pug dog/ Christmas lights tacked all over the body look of modern motorsits the first lambo I've kinda liked in years, and there is actually nothing wrong with the body at all, it actually looks good from all angels, a very rare thing nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

found out something interesting about the 911, now my father was in germany during the 1960's and well didnt exactly have a good experience with the car, which made him opt for the midengined 914the issue being the weight balance, while going around a long bend on the autobahn, IE not backroads blazing he felt the weight shift at 90 mph, other than that the car was planted with its torsion bar suspension, yes the same one Chrystler used on some of their cars:

sometimes going back to the 1950's like on my old man's 58, which was a 4 door version of christine, about a trim level below it, but the same color scheme.but it felt like the car was unsettled and thus he lost confidence in the automobile, like it was trying to go towards where the engine wanted to go and not where the driver went.not unlike he lost confidence in Smith and Wesson with the 686 revolver in the late 1970's/Early 1980's in a way when it literally locked up on him after its first taste of magnum loads, when they had fitted the parts too tightly, it was a pre M modfication gun.think it was the firing pin shield being too tight and the primers didnt have space to expand safely without locking it up, not exactly what you want to have happen on a revolver, especially one you paid top dollar for at retail prices.but basically he had the equavelent of that kind of faith killer happen with the porsche 911, not to mention a radar tech on the site put himself and the seller in a tree during a backroads test drive, now this was all pre 1972 before any real developments with the car,and you can see just how different it is from the modern one here
about 1968/1969, about 6 months before Porsche put the 911 motor in the 914
which my father said he would have bought if they had offered it at the time when he bought the 914, his being an early one that had more than its fair share of problems, one from the early K bosh fuel injection that left him stranded once, a bad inprecise gear box (that wasnt fixed until 1971/1972, a year or two before they stopped making the car) and early curved glasswhere he literally shut the door and the glass broke on him, twice, like on a certain concept car made for the road back then, the red one
so to say the least he didnt have very good luck with it and new designs would be an understatement, hence where my Wait 5 years rule comes from, as he's taught me enough examples of that, that the rule became plain to me, problem is it seems like the cycle is now 1 to 3 years in some cases with overhauling the cars styling and technical instruments and technologynow the funny thing is in 1972 they did attempt to change where the oil tank was on the 911 to infront of the rear wheels apparently, 20 or 30 pounds of weight, although with a bizzare way to fill it that looked like a normal gas tank on the right rear fender to try and fix this snap oversteer problem, although it kept the thin tires.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...y-RalfR-75.jpgand apparently gas station attendants were accidentally putting gas in it instead of motor oil and thus it was discontined the next yearalthough RUF decided to use that on the CTR, aka the yellowbird that got them to return they're key focus back to the 911, resulting in this becoming standard on the 1989 964, although minus that fuel filler cap thing for it I thinkand probably the discontiuation of the 928/924/944 lineage in the middle 1990's that started in the 1970's in response to dire straights and fears of Ralph Nader like litigation putting the 911 out of business.so if you want a classic 911 that wont bite your hand if your not a fan of the Scandinavian Flick, go for a 1972, or if you want a modern one without intermittent bearing failure go for a 1989 to 1996and its really a damn shame the boxer is included in that bearing failure thing, its basically a modern 914 restyled made to look like a proper porsche:
outside of the 914 GT front end
two trunks with the engine behind the driver, although a 4 might have been a better choice to keep it from eating the tires up like on an NSX instead of the porsche 6 on the boxeralso that 914, he imported it to the US here in MA but sold it in 72 for a Ford LTD, and by then it was leaking oil, thing is I think it might have showed up in my hometown once as a rusty white wreck that quickly disappeared from behind a used car/scrapyard, no crusher around though and it was on the back of a trailer.but it was definitely an old white early 914.funny thing is there is atleast 3 914's around that I see once in a blue moon here so for all I know it went to a 914 fan club.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

and speaking of the interceptor, 1001 hobbies finally posted an update vid of his long running series about creating a replica from an imported from Australia ford falcon XC I think:

index=2part 1, from a few years ago for those who want to catch up on it:

It's an XB. The model before the XC.The coupes are quite pricey these days. You have to be willing to pay $15,000 just for a rolling shell.

I'm Australian.

Edited by SL1DE

eh simple mistake on my part as their's an XA, XB XC hell theres even an XF falcon, and the major changes between them were the XA and the XB when it came to the interceptor and its very Ford Mustang Mach 1 like looks

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-interceptor/australian-xb-coupe-and-american-car-comparison/index.html

Eingefügtes Bild

but alot of people have used the XC models as the basis for their replicas.

and he hasnt posted anything really in quite some time on that car sadly, except this bit that reveals the origin of that classic blower design actually

which when you come to car designs is as Iconic as the double torpedo launcher on the movie version of the Enterprise in the old star trek movies

Eingefügtes Bild

as nothing quite says your screwed like looking head on at that baby,

Edited by Kavinsky

Stinger I cant help but ask after thinking about it some more but did he say what that transmision was on that 1968 Mustang? was it a 4 speed top loader with a prototype 2 speed overdrive? I mean was it anything or something on it that made it to production

as that would be pretty kick ass to have the old H pattern shifter with a 2 speed overdrive on it for when you just want to save gas just by hitting a switch on the floor with that 428 interceptor in it.

hell wonder just how much that would improve the mileage on an old big block, as they had to fill those things up 3 times a shift when they had them on cop cars at the 11 minute mark

with basically a range of about a 100 miles, but what a hundred miles.

The car was a special edition factory original Mustang GT350KR with a big block four speed. The shifter on the side of the transmission tunnel was a short little shifter that went forward and backward. I never did get under the car to see what it was but when he shifted into high gear and dropped the other lever the car dropped in rpm's and went like a bat out of hell! Unlimited top end!!!

I would figure to say it was probably a two speed rear end lever of a tailshaft gear splitter most likely on the end of the toploader???

I have never seen one since at any car show or cruise night and his car is the only one I know has it and he still had the original window sticker in a plastic holder. I don't remember the exact price (after all it's been over twenty years!) but I do remember be taken aback at the outrageous price it was new off the showroom floor.

The car was your basic Shelby white with blue stripes but this power package was some experiment or possibly a "dealer install"

We only drove for about twenty miles in the car to the show and it is a ride I will remember.

The other unforgettable ride is in an absolutely original 67'Shelby Cobra. A guy here in Niagara on the Lake has one. All aluminum and all real! No carpets and I remember my running shoes started to melt to the floor boards from the heat off the huge exhaust pipes! The thing rode like a tank and I absolutely loved it as it was just pure horsepower in a 1800 lb chassis!

There will never be another car like it in history ever!

Edited by Stinger390X

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about my Tardyness, alot has been going on as of late,

as I'm learning to shoot pool with the old man while I still can, a 4006 with an extractor problem and a not so nice SA trigger has come into the fold, although apparently there is some easy fixes for both and other less interesting but time consuming things have come up.

But Hmm that sounds like it could have been really quite handly in the latter years of the 1970's though with the gas crysis and the like, werid that it slipped through the cracks like that.

hell maybe the thing was rigged up by the Ford Equavalent of Baldwin Motion out of NY or Don Yenko, although one off ford Prototypes are evidently not uncommon judging by this

as further on they show a prototype mustang that's rigged up just like a Porsche 914 of all things from 1964, 4 years earlier than porsche and 7 before that fiat thing.

but the image I'm having in my mind is the gearbox is there and someones cut out part of it to allow these two gears to mesh in with the four speed once they push the lever forward.

What was the year on it by the way, as the Image I have in my head is of a 1969/1970 model, as it would fit into why its so unknown and unheard of. as that's when Ford and Shelby started to split ways and production moved to a different location than shelby american.

and it was noted that those cars had trouble selling like this one

vs the earlier models, I mean hell they had a 1968 just like that on myclassiccar and people kept asking him if it was a replica, and its like the rest of the world has forgotten that there are other shelby mustangs after 1967.

the pinacle year for them it seems.

plus it would fit in given that Ford in the early 1970's decided to downsize the Mustang into the Mustang 2 for the sake of the gas mileage, the insurance Premiumns and all that, and that car just happened to get lost in the fold. despite having something that really sounds like a great idea that never took off.

like it had the best kind of old technology on it.

and yeah I miss Carrol Shelby and his companies marveious works, hell the SOB managed to make some hotrod econo box during the worst time for performance cars and he just kept on going through with his love of speed despite the era in the 1980's

the little thing was a Chrystler, something with the Name goes like hell, s'more lol, a little small light econo box much like the modern Focus ST that shelby is now making a hot rod version of, probably for the same reasons this thing existed in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_GLHS

and it was Shelby's go to sleeper car during the 1980's lol hell he kept one all the way up to his death, its a damn big loss to loose a man like that I'll tell you that much.

Clever SOB, hell he used the Kitcar laws to literally make new shelby cobras and all that, and apparently he was heavily into aviation as well, started out as a pilot which fits, as pilots usually have quite a need for speed.

wonder if that's where I got it actually, as I've had pilots in my family bloodline for quite some time on both sides, the german and the american.

although the image I have in my head is of the GT40, the ones used in 1968 and the Gumball Rally Cobra, that would be heaven, proved the cobra had a 289 in it! lol

hell actually reading about the shelby cobra's racing history, they never raced a 427 offically really but they did do some sort of 302, a raced up version, clamshelled like a mIura to beat the C2 grandsport and apparently they ran the wheels off of it with it.

this was right around the time they came up with the daytona cobra I believe, the one Phil Specter owned.

also specter? do you really need anymore proof he was evil with a name like that lol

Edited by Kavinsky

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the first video of the New Gallardo Replacment, the Hurican from Lambo at Geneva:

and theres some interesting insight to the bit about why they gave the car some angles, similar to the treatment of the testarossa, which might explain the sudden jump From the 365/512 BB to the TR back in 1984/1985

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

which had the rounded edges with the 512BB, then squared and given broad shoulders to accomedate the double radiators in the back.

from other standpoints though, while I've accepted that they have to go to the non manual thing because of how many gears the cars have now, and how hard that would be to shift in a hurry. in addition to trying to bump up that MPG thing to apease the EPA and the closed minded people of washington who think everything should be boring and safe

and will accept there ruling beep boop, you are right, and all that

I just cant accept 4 wheel drive and a V10 on a Lambo, as that seems to make too much sense

as italian cars are supposed to be crazy, insensible and live by the motto, what's a behind me doesnt matter

plus I believe the steering lock on 4 wheel drive cars is something like 45 to 50 degrees, while normal rear wheel drive cars easily go above that, meaning I gotta wonder if you could pull this off with it

or would it fight you?, or could it be like that shitbox drift car, the 240 ZX I think with a 70 degree steering lock? and is that why so many of the Early Murcielagos were crashed, fighting the driver over how much tail it can get out?

and with how great an inline 5 motor sounds, along with the inline 6's of both the audi UR quattro (5) Jag E type, DB5, Maserati 350 GTI (6)

why not an inline NINE? or a Seven, you know something batshit insane? not the same motor from an R8 V10, not a germanic V10 is what im saying

I mean I dont look at italian cars and think, yes I want a lazy sounding V10, not a high pitched inline 6, V8 or V12, and I gotta wonder if that V10 they use is technically a decendant ot a Viper motor. as Lambo was owned by Chrysler in the vipers time, then bought out by Audi/VW

so did they use the same V10 from the old viper and reuse it in the Gallardo and the R8?

and keep in mind I like the Viper and the V10 noise it makes, but something seems off about the V10 used in the lambo and the R8

think like you spend 5 to 6 grand on a watch and then find out it has an ETA movement in it, it just doesnt seem right.

Edited by Kavinsky

Okay the bad news first: London's anti smog department has gone nuts and wants to ban all classic cars pre 2005 apparently:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/london-set-ban-older-private-petrol-and-diesel-cars

https://twitter.com/harrym_evo/status/439407224772100096

giving extra backing to Cousin Avi's Advice from Snatch considering this is basically going to ban my first love from there, after they banned my second love there in 1998,

So Speed Cameras, Smog Tax that you have to pay through a phone or get pulled over and ticketed for (and FYI I dont carry a cell phone) No Classic cars by 2020 in london, then probably the rest of the country, No Firearms, No Armed Police save for special situations, Cameras all over the place, the BBC is run by the state and paid for by everyone so yeah.....

on the plus side I would imagine this would mean the Bentley's owners club is gonna migrate to the US, hell Brian Johnson already has his Bentley 4 1/2 liter in the US right now.

and to think John Steed and James Bond (who drove a 4 1/2 liter lemans racer in the books, then a custom 1955 model) woudlnt be able to drive around in their bentley's nowadays though if that really does go through, even in the worst place to live in the united states they can thank god they dont have to put up with that kinda crap.

and that's the other thing Imagine what that is going to do to the classic car industry if it spreads over there?

I mean econobox cars that no one cares about fine, but everything? no exceptions, no logic, no forethought,

and 2005, that's not that long ago, I mean isnt the planned absolecence of most modern cars enough?

wow theres another thought, Gene Hunt wont be able to fire up the quattro anymore with that kinda crap

all I can say is thank god I dont live in england, funny you think you have it bad by living in a far left wing state and then you see that...........

anyways the good news, this thing has a good chance of seeing production

Edit: the more I thought about it, the more I'm starting to think that that has to be a typo or something, like it should only apply to public transit cars, not the personal cars over there, but still just hearing about the stuff that happens over there just shocks me at how insane it seems.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 4 weeks later...

Anyways found some interesting stuff here,  a fan Video of the Ferrari F40 set to action Jackson:

and another Vice fan video

and also I saw the latest smog report for london recently on the BBC News and well I can see why they're worried about all that now and I appologize if I went off the deep end there. but banning limited production cars and classic cars to try and deal with this, isnt the way to deal with it properly.

and just the thought of banning all pre 2005 cars from entering london seems utterly crazy to me, Like that's not going to solve anything.

if anything the key thing to do would be to focus on the Taxi services, Transit, boating and aircraft, where the Tourismn factor would come in, I mean I never really hear anything about the polution these giganitc tankers and shipping vessles that go all over the world produce either.

and why havent they looked into that and making clean diesel? or making ships that run off of natural gas? granted the size of that might be prohibitive but I think looking into that would be better than hassling the guy on the street over driving something he loves and telling him he cant use it anymore because of some law passed arbitarily without his knowlege or approval

or at the very least have an exemption law for cars over 15 years of age and have that go up every year, like they do with the classic car laws and smog rules here in the US.

plus maybe some revisions to that to allow classic cars to run with more modern engines would be good too, to prevent the california effect

where a guy had a 1976 daytona replica, with a C4 Fuel Injected motor in it and was told that because it was a year over the exemption limit (1975) that he had to take the more modern and cleaner motor out of it and put the old carborated one back in it

even though that would just make it dirtyer and less efficent, not to mention cost him a considerable sum to do so, the exact opposite of what you would think Cali would want with there smog problems.

basically think it out properly, not ham fist it and remove another nice thing england once had, next to the no speed limit thing they had on one of there highways back in the early 1960's.

and no speed cameras.

and sorry if I have a habit of flipping out like this, but when something I love is threatened I cant help but feel the need to vent about it and try and show how wrong the other side is for even coming up with that idea.

and most of that stuff seems to be coming out of england law wise too, so it just seems like the law makers there are utterly crazy and like the whole place is going to turn into a no go zone for all of the stuff I enjoy and love in life.

hell I'm half surprised I havent heard of a law where you cant wear white after Labor day over there yet really, I mean that is how silly some of there laws seem to be when it comes to how well thought out they are.

I mean if you cant drive a fast fun car in life without having the law on your heels all of the time, what is the point of living?

Edited by Kavinsky

Your welcome, I just so happened to come across it via Guerrero2220 videos stream

although I guess I should have used this one but I figured hey the other was also done by action jackson and would be a better companion piece to the F40 Video

also at the 0:06 mark there with the second one, that worn out orangy red car was the car my dad had in italy in the 1960's before that disaster of a car, the porsche 914 he bought in 1969

kinda funny to see the daytona and his old car in the same video really, the fiat 124 spyder, a baby ferrari as it was called back then, and it does have a really nice interior, its just that the body is kinda dull looking.

and I did show him the show and the car one time by the way and he did like it but he said he would never buy a BLACK sports car lol, so the daytona is father approved in my family, same with my mother actually lol

Edited by Kavinsky

Sorry about sitting on this but I Plain forgot about it, Jay Leno has Finished His Little bastard, the Lotus Elan 26 R Replica he has been working on for a year or so

and its quite the Kamakazi machine, complete with a 12 K Subsiquental Gearbox from Quaife, a UK company, not unlike the old Gearboxes they used to run on Group B rally cars in the 1980's where I think you only have to use the clutch when choosing Reverse, Neutral and 1st gear, the rest you either just pull back on to switch gears upwards and vice versa backwards.

kinda not unlike an auto 350/400 auto gearbox really.

also I ran the caculations on it, 1340 pounds divided by 220 HP comes out to 0.162 hp/per lb, and to put that into perspective a euro spec countach is this

480 divided by 3200 = 0.15  hp/lp Countach Euro spec (roughly)

vs the stock elan:

160 divided by 1516 = 0.105 hp/lp

along with a few other 1970's, 80's and 1990's cars

400 divded by 3300 = 0.121 hp/lp 1993/1994 Dodge Viper.

210 divided by 2370 = 0.096 hp/lp 1973 Porsche Carrera RS 2.7

130 divided by 2712 = 0.047 hp/lp Delorean  85 divided by 2312 = 0.036 hp/lp Plymouth Reliant

if my Caculations are correct.

Also they did this video on the Supra Concept recently as well:

Edited by Kavinsky

On today's post of the car thread, a Throught walkthrough and in car drive of the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 By SaabKyle:

and on the exact flipside of that, its Chris Harris on cars, with a Citroen 2CV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ktMcCDZvk

and no that title is not a joke or a late, a very late april fools. as the thing is the French version of the Model T and it came to prosperity in post war France after the ravages of the war.

Where because of that most people had apparently gone back to horse and buggy with the lack of fuel and cars in post war france.

So if they were to have a car it needed to use very little gas and be able to go over rough farmland, which is exactly what the car was designed to do, in 1938. 10 years before the production of the car, posponed because of the start of the war.

mind you its abit like if the model t was made up until the 1990's with it as it was made between 1948 to the early 1990's, but so was the Original Volkswaggen Bug till 2002.

as theres always a market for the cheapest and most basic kinda wheels possible, plus because of that simplicity it ends up being rather pure by definition and fun in its own right.

hence his love of it.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 2 weeks later...

Today in the Car Thread, the one man who can make a La Ferrari Borning, The Buck Rodgers (BWM) I8 Mobile Lives and an odd visual change up of the Mad Max Car for a video game and a model that kinda works.

First up, a hands on with the la ferrari by a man who sounds like he's asleep

Seriously by 4:58, even with ACDC's Let there be rock in the background, the announcer started putting me to sleep.

and he was just so unemotional about the whole thing, I mean the whole point of a supercar is that it wakes you up and makes you unIntelligible after you fall out of it, just like Clarkson with the Ariel Atom or the Koenisegg CCX, but here instead its the exact opposite.

he sounds like he's asleep so he puts the audience to sleep, and were talking about a man driving a car that can go zero to 60 in 2 some seconds and can reach a 150 in less than 10 seconds I think.

I mean how do you make that boring? I didnt think that was even possible with the likes of a car like that that motor trend openly called an assault weapon a few months back for god sakes.

Next Up, the BMW I8 comes to life and is tested by Chris Harris, a man who CAN make a ferrari exciting

see here for proof of that, and the damn near 500.000 views it has of him driving the second version of the TR

and finally just some odd insight into these two changes to the mad max car in a videogame and a model:

this from the mad max game that's coming out in a year or so to conisde with the new film, made by the makers of Just Cause 2,

a game known for its sheer insanity and crazyness in single player and mutiplayer

The most intriguing things been done though are the changes that can be done to the interceptor

namely that of the headlights, I know with all the changes done to it in that video I highlight that, but its the one thing that kinda bugged me overtime about the interceptor, the front end in general, something about it seemed off

as the car is from 1973, November of 1973 to be precise and came from the factory with round Cible like headlamps and that is the classic look for a Ford Falcon.

and as time went on, it seemed like everything ford made in the 1980's had those kind of headlights, the old T birds of the 1980's

Eingefügtes Bild

and the ford Fox Bodied mustang

and someone has made a surprisingly convincing mad max replica out of one of them with minimal alterations at 0:13 here

So putting back the most unique thing about a classic car from that era, the round headlights back onto the interceptor to match its original car roots

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

really fits the design well, and honestly I kinda think it was a shame they replaced the square headlamps with that of the XC model, but as the XC was still in production in 1979 (when the film was made) it was probably necessary to make the car feel as modern as possible

like going from chrome to painted plastic bumpers, it was something new and unseen before so they did it. Its just overtime those became a far less common sight and thus the demand in the classic car world for that has changed.

such as the motor having a 600 HP blown V8, which can now be bought from a perfomance shop in a non blown form making 500 HP such as the motor on this Station Wagon:

however on the interceptor one could say that with the blower it produces 600 HP and sucks down alot of gas, and with it off its something like 300 and gets better gas mileage, something that guy with the station wagon couldnt say probably.

so the concept there is not that dated or crazy, hence why the blower idea still works and why the cicular headlight thing could really work like what they did in that videogame trailer.

hell the one headlight deal alone could work as it mimics the Mach 1/ original Elenor Look to a tee

now the other part was the lower half of the front end, the giant spoiler that was on the bottom of the car, and overtime I noticed something.

you only kinda need the main opening of the thing in the middle, the two slots on the side could be removed and the turn signals moved in, as only the center opening lines up with the radiator

Eingefügtes Bild

and that mixed in with a mesh grill behind that opening and the ones uptop and proper functioning turn signals would really modernize the lower half of the front end.

as at certan shots you can see the ground through them, which kinda makes them seem more bolted on rather than bespoked to the car.

which I think is kinda the reason why it was removed in the second movie, as Mad still had decent road clearence, unless the lower half posed a risk to the car during the ramming scene in the second movie.

or both.

and that was the other thing, most cop cars have brushguards for ramming and one of the things being done to the new interceptor is the nose cone is made out of metal this time.

not fiberglass this time, as to probably make sure it can do a pit or a ram without being destroyed, but that kind of begs the question why not have the car rigged up with some sort of brushguard

or lower half done up like this, with the two prongs infront to help support the nose cone under ramming conditions like this moddler has done with his autoart model.

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

granted I would keep the edges the same on the outter half or have them slant to that incline, but in general these are great ideas that could be used to modernize the interceptors front end while keeping the rest of the iconic look of the car. 

although as an aside a lower profile blower with that scoop could probably help make it easier to live with and make the car look a touch sleeker but I havent seen that done yet

Edited by Kavinsky

• 4 weeks later...

Today on the car thread, an overview and driving video of a legendary car, The Jaguar XKSS owned by Steve Mcqueen

and jay in a throwaway comment kind of explained in a way why the car was repainted and redone in Green and Black from white and red, the XKSS came out in the middle 1960's, Mcqueen's era of fame was around the same time.

and Mcqueen was noted for regretting missing out on owning the Mustang from bullit, which has been rumored to be somewhere in the ohio river valley for years.

and what was the color scheme of the mustang, Forest Green, with a black interior and a wood steering wheel,

also I admit I've kind of been slipping with this, Jay did a Video of the Mclarren P1 he just recently aquired, but the car just doesnt do anything for me, as its just a drivers car, and it looks like the embodyment of the Nike Swoosh Emblem to me

hence why I call it the nike swoosh mobile

The porsche 918 though, compaired to the la ferrari and the P1, is the winner of the supercar war from a visual perspective.

as it looks alot like the visually stunning porsche 917 racecar, and I'd rather post the video of that instead:

quite the opposite of what happened in 01/02 where we had the Enzo vs the Carrera GT, and neither really pulled me in with their looks.

although that was the fault of ferrari for not offering it any other colors, as Blue looks pretty good on that thing.

sort of like what happened with the testarossa at the start.

as back in the day a magazine back then did a road test and compairson of a TR in Red next to a red countach and everyone flocked to the countach.

but as Vice Proved that was the wrong color for it lol it would have been a draw in white.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 1 month later...

Well this is highly upsetting, I found out what happened to all of the R34 Skylines and Integra Type R's and why there so rare nowadays

about 6 to 7 minutes in, its unbelievable, they were crushed by California and the feds over tax duties and import restrictions.

and thats damn near as bad as what the British do to Seized from drug dealer cars, where they suffer the same fate.

and For those not in the know, this is what they killed:

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

and after what they say in this video, I cant help but wonder why anyone would ever want to live in LA, and recently it was revealed by the Govenor of Texas that 25% of cali's business has moved to texas

along with toyota, and who can blame them after watching that video and them describing all of the illegal search and sesure stuff they have to deal with.

as it sounds like owning a nice car there is as bad as owning a handgun or a rifle in Diana Fiesteins backyard, and quite frankly I cant help but think of Commander Kruges last words to his bording party in star trek 3 as advice for anyone that lives there.

which is this at 3:38

but my god, so thats where all of the skylines and Type R's went, those monsters killed them, I mean has california never heard of the show and tell law that got Passed By Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates?

where you can bring cars like that in legally as there so rare, and now much more so now thanks to assholes.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post something postive for once, and please forgive me about that but bad news is seldome in short suppy

and this time its about inspector Morse's Jaguar, RPA 248, and this article I came across about it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2746644/Back-from-the-dead.html

and it looks like abit more than just a few rusty old jags were saved by that show, 248 RPA, called that as I believe cars in the UK stick with there licence plate more or less for life, was actually saved in the first place by the show.

as it was due to die by crusher originally.

something even I didnt know, and for those not in the know the MK 2 Jaguar orginally fell out of favor with the public about 1967/1968, as the change in times favored going from a much more rounded 1940's style to a boxier one, and that change is also reflected in the style of american cars from about roughly the same time period.

although American changed that style around the middle to late 1950's, think going from a 1950 Plymouth to a 1967 Mustang

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

and that was roughly the change from the Jaguar MK 2 to the XJ6

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

I mean honestly if you didnt know how old the Mk 2 was you would think it was a car from the 1950's, and roughly it was a contiunation of it.

Hence why in the 1970's and 80's they fell out of favor, until the amount of cars styled like that by jaguar and everyone else were common place, and thus collectors and enthuasts wanted to go the opposite route.

as that is one of the things fashion and automobiles have in common, and why having them around in period places is key to the atmosphere of a work too.

so you can thank Mr Thaw for saving alot of old MK 2's by his choice of car lol

and also additionally his most famous car on the sweeny is in the process of being restored as we speak

His Ford Consul V6 Sedan, NHK 295M, the car that inspired them to use a Ford Cortina on life on mars no less.

and also what spurred this on was that I was watching a new episode of the continuation program of Inspector Morse, Called Endevor that focused on his early days in the 1960's

and I kept expecting the 2.4 liter MK 2 to drive into the scene, and its always that black and red Restomodded with a 3.8 liter Mk 1

and I really want to take off those damn rear wheel covers on it

Eingefügtes Bild

as a Mk 1 with those on the sides keeps reminding me of an old Morgan 3 wheeler.

Eingefügtes Bild

and that just really bugs me for some reason.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow!  I have the watch in post 17 (When one of the bad guys is assembeling his AR.....he is wearing the first Tag Huer black and gold.  It was sold in the Sharper image catalogue back in 1986/87.  I still have it.

Sorry for the derail.

Now back on topic....I topped off the battery of the white TR today...she is ready to run.  Been sitting or a month due to me working so much.

Hmm funny how things work out I guess, actually in a similar instance when watching the old prisoner series from 1967, I kinda cant help but wonder if Patrick Mcghohan was wearing an omega, like the one my father gave to me years ago.

and that's good to know that the TR is going to get some action, actually incidentally the british magazine I've been reading as of late called thorughbread and classic sports cars named the thing the best of the lot out of a countach, 1989 Lotus turbo, V8 Vantage and a 928 for there gone in 6 seconds article

also this showed up on my radar recently, a TR in dark blue metalic:

You know this is why having the Fiat Group own Chrystler is a good thing, only the Fiat Group would have the stones to make this and the Alfa Romeo 4C:

a 700 HP, 650 foot pound torque monster in the days of the SMD in washington

Lamborghini would just tuck this thing away in a museum somewhere just like they did with the Estoque and never build it.

• 3 weeks later...

Today in the car thread, a Chevy Corvair Vs Pontiac Fiero in this fight of the cult classics

and the mighty car mod boys have recently posted their 4th episode of their new series where they try to get across all of Aulstralia using Borrowed cars.

as my own personal note, with the Corvair I saw one of those 1967 Monza's in person here in MA, in dark red and a black interior and it apeared to be all original, and I must be honest it was abit rough around the edges and the paintwork looks like its going to do a redo

but that regardless I can safely say that Photos and video do not do that car justice, its a much more beautiful car in person, as long as its a latter one from when they fixed the swing axels on the post 63/64 models.

and they even made a Don Yenko one as well, the famous Chevy Dealer who used the ordering system of GM to get some cop motors put in production cars that he could sell to the public.

kinda like they did with the little Red Express truck in 1978 that mopar made for a year or two, abusing that loophole in the emmision laws to give the public a performance truck using cop motors in them.

hell the crazy Sob even put a Police 427 in a Chevy Nova at one point using the COPO system.

also as a final note, the Drive Channel on youtube, of which I've promoted their videos here have decicded to go subscription only, rather than doing what Motor trend is doing where they put some car based, USEFUL ads into their videos.

and its badly irked me at this sudden turn of events, as their free videos are now 1/3rd the lenght of the full videos, basically a 15 minute video, is now 2 to 4.

and I cant support that kind of Butchary, so I've removed the drive channel from my bookmarks.

as 3 bucks a month is one thing, with no yearly subscription option, but to remove 66% of the video and essentally leave a teaser trailer saying you want the full thing, fork over the cash just really rubs me the wrong way.

I mean theres a right way and a wrong way to deal with this new ad block generation, (and I've never used adblock EVER, irking me even more that I'm essentally being punished for something I've never done, plus the free promotion I've given them here too)

and Motor trend is doing it the right way.

it would be another thing if they did it the right way and gave you the full content of the videos on the free channel but maybe had a few special videos a month on Drive + to be an incentive to join the subscription

plus their videos are now on NBC broadcasts as well, the free versions which are going to be cut down.

so quite frankly well this is how I feel about it:

no no I cant go for that, f that as they actually say in the song if you actually listen closely at 4:36

Edited by Kavinsky

• 2 months later...

First post here in a while, While the site was down Harry posted his video on the TR that I hinted at back when he started his channel

and I came across something rather telling about the state of Lamborghini and Aston nowadays, both online and in a recent magazine.

http://www.autozine.org/countach/countach_8.htm

http://www.autozine.org/countach/countach_5.htm

note the last paragraph of page 8 there

There never has been anything quite like it, and probably there never will be again. Perhaps the Germans make the best cars in the world, but the Italians make the most exciting, most outrageous and most marvellous one, and this is it. Countach !

and it sumbs up the problem with both aston and lambo in a nutshell, as the head of aston up until recently was Ulrich Benz, a man who worked for porsche and thus saw no need to spice up the range or change the design of the cars

as a matter of fact he decontented all of his cars, even the Aston one 77, by having every car now have the spoiler of that car

something even porsche wouldnt do frankly, as everything looks like the Vanquish from 2002 now. plus winkleman would have never allowed the countach to go to market like it did back then, as they would sacrafice the body in a heartbeat to get it to do 200 actual mph like it was supposed to be designed to do in the first place with a 5 liter engine.

and Lambo is the same way in alot of ways, in the latest motor trend or whatever it was with the new Maserati on the cover they had an interview with the deisgner of the Hurican, and his philosophy is that if there isnt one thing that's identifiably lamborgini about it at a distance its not right and every car has to have that lambo look to it.

which is the worst possible design philisophy to have for anything lamborghini, as lamborghini was great because they DID NOT DO THAT, its what separated them from ferrari

as Ferrari would always have a lineage of cars, that were all connected, Lambo however, each model looked like it was from a different planet.

I mean if you removed the badge of the Miura, painted it purple

4964400418_cb5cc45aa3_b.jpg

and stuck it next to this

1024px-Lambo_LM_002_1.jpg

would you really think the same company made both if you didnt know? I mean there is a reason why some people dont even know that dodge made the viper RT 10

so what they need to do is get rid of the designer of the Hurican, which looks like someone pre ran the thing into a truck from the front, and I must wonder did Valentino give him the Murice criticismn

as Harry Metcalf had reported that when he saw the new murice after the switch from the diablo to it, his response was unusually timeless in this aspect, you only design the engine cover!

and I miss the old engine cover of the countach and the diablo

5651494975_b559364eb1_b.jpg

back end is fine though with the hurican and get rid of Winkleman or put him in a lower position like what happened with aston recently

as the german got kicked downstairs while the head of Nissian who okayed this

1024px-Nissan_IDx_Nismo.jpg

is now in control of Aston, and god I hope we get a proper DBS now like this one

which means we could get the old REAL aston V8 vantage back too if they do something similar too, like the one from the living daylights

4910994007_0eefae7334_b.jpg

instead of that bubble butt car that they make with that name nowadays, as even with a V12 that thing is still stupid looking, and a mirror image of what lambo did with the V10's to the v12's

1031313534_58e8290a2d_b.jpg

Also did I ever mention I hate the Galardo? they never could get the styling right and I keep thinking that its V10 was stolen from Chrysler when they owned them back in the 1990's, as no one else up until that point made a V10 period.

and also I've been replaying Need for speed Hot Pursuit 2 and it hit me, they tried to turn the diablo into the murci back then

4117564417_4a6d66da0c_o.jpg

and to add insult to injury, the headlights on the diablo are from the 1994 300 ZX, one of the ugliest imports ever made, advanced, yes, beautiful, no.

but its same thing they did with the special edition Raptor to the aventador, I didnt think it at the time because I didnt think they were going to do that for all of them, as back then it was a new design, nowadays its overplayed and boring.

I mean ferrari never really does that, with the F430 to the 458, yeah the layout was the same but the bodywork was really quite different

and you should never do that with any car design, minor, convenient changes fine, but making it look like the incoming car, is a bad idea, its the worst automotive faux pas you can do in the books.

as it cheapens the brand and decontents everything cool about it, as it got to the point that I seriously thought I should call them Vollks audi lamborghini's, Volks Lambos, like people used to call the porsche 914, or Volks Winklemans, as old man lambo would never okay such an idea.

until it hit me, just call them german made lambos, and differenciate it that way. as its so obivious a german made these cars its not even funny. as its very true with both of them, and while its alright to reuse stuff like the keyfob and the steering wheel given how much that kinda stuff costs in the long haul

making the cars all look the same is the worst thing in the world to do, as that means the only thing its got going for it in the posterboard stakes is the power and speed ratings

and none of that really matters anymore as anything can do atleast a 120 on average now, and every supercar does a 180 as standard,

and if you want to sell cars and get future customers of your brand, the posterboard stakes is where its at, as that's how you get a loyal fanbase and said future customers.

and also if you have something like a 4 wheel drive system on your cars, dont call it a 4 wheel drive system when your parrent company is volkswaggen/audi, as that instantly makes everybody think your just reusing the quattro system on it.

name it something like the 70/30 kamakazi system, or call it the italian word for the save your ass system.

also that's another thing, what idiot thought it was a good idea to name a lambo after a female organ?!

Urusfront.jpg

lambo urus, REALLY? what's next the lambo pelenus? and its always something kind of stupid or pretencious, why not just call this the Lamborghin Urraco? or not name the car, drive around and ask what people think of it and let it get its name the same way the countach did.

Edited by Kavinsky