California locations:

C Glide

There had been a thread on this subject on a former site but I do not see it here so I figured I would add it here. As I have been working on my location site I have been keeping track of the times they used/inserted California locations in the episodes. Here is a summary from the Pilot thru episode 54:6) One Eyed Jack: 9) Glades: East 5th Street, 1100 block North Western Avenue, and two other unknown L.A. locations10) Give a Little Take a Little: 5500 Block of Hollywood Blvd., replay of the bench shot from Glades-unknown location but is L.A., 1100 block North Western Avenue, 333 Hope Street,11) Little Prince: Building-unknown location.14) Golden Triangle: Unknown building30) Bushido: 1117 Western Avenue, L.A.35) Yankee Dollar: 385 North La Cienega Blvd. L.A., and an exterior establishing shot of a police department that maybe in CA.36) One Way Ticket: Home Bass bar exterior, Exterior police department, establishing shot of horse ranch, plane taking off on runway with mountains in the bg, and the Fein Gallery exterior may have been in CA.38) Florence Italy: unknown red light district shot may have been in CA.40) The Fix: Unknown building42) Free Verse: Plane landing-possibly CA., and unknown building exterior establishing shot.43) Trust Fund Pirates: reuse of guy on L.A. bench, Raoul’s 19850 Santa Monica Blvd., and two unknown buildings that look like they are in CA.45) When Irish Eyes Are Crying: Two building exteriors that were likely in CA.46) Stone’s War: Unknown building likely in CA. and plane landing at what is likely LAX.48) Walk Alone: Raoul’s- 19850 Santa Monica Blvd.50) Shadow In The Dark: Unknown CA. town52) Better Living Through Chemistry: Airport may be CA.Pictures can be seen on my site, I would love to find the "town" seen in Shadow in The Dark.

50) Shadow In The Dark: Unknown CA. town

If you're referring to the shot taken that establishes dawn, with the buildings and foothills in the far background, I believe the buildings are Century City, just west of West Hollywood and bordering Beverly Hills. I'll have to look at the episode to be sure, but I think it's taken from Hollywood or more precisely, the Hollywood HIlls looking south-west.I tried to link to google maps here but it comes up as Century, FL. Try googling "Century City, Los Angeles, CA" .I believe the taller buildings are on Avenue of the Stars.

If you're referring to the shot taken that establishes dawn' date=' with the buildings and foothills in the far background, I believe the buildings are Century City, just west of West Hollywood and bordering Beverly Hills. I'll have to look at the episode to be sure, but I think it's taken from Hollywood or more precisely, the Hollywood HIlls looking south-west.I tried to link to google maps here but it comes up as Century, FL. Try googling "Century City, Los Angeles, CA" .I believe the taller buildings are on Avenue of the Stars.[/quote']Thanks, I kinda had a feeling it was Century City but I have not been able to place it exactly. I will take another look now.

Thanks' date=' I kinda had a feeling it was Century City but I have not been able to place it exactly. I will take another look now.[/color']

Im sure these buildings were used on both "Dallas" and "Dynasty" as establishing shots :DAs the three shows often had the same director ( Gabrielle Beaumont, Georg Stanford Brown ) and Chris Morgan a producer of Mv in Season 3 also worked on all three shows :D

Im sure these buildings were used on both "Dallas" and "Dynasty" as establishing shots :DAs the three shows often had the same director ( Gabrielle Beaumont' date=' Georg Stanford Brown ) and Chris Morgan a producer of Mv in Season 3 also worked on all three shows :D[/quote']My daughter & I drove past Century City on the way to see Santa Monica in 2010 & as I am a great Bruce Willis fan, I had to get a picture of the skyscraper from the original Die Hard movie. Checking the picture we took, one of the buildings (with the triangular roof) looks the same as the one neighbouring the Die Hard building. I've marked the possible matching building to screen cap with red arrow in both pics.Screen cap:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5741[/ATTACH]Our pic:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5742[/ATTACH]For me, one of the best lines ever in a movie: "Alas your Mr Takagi didn't see it that way ... so he won't be joining us for the rest of his life."

post-178-13892964328574_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892964328789_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

5741[/ATTACH]Our pic:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5742[/ATTACH]For me, one of the best lines ever in a movie: "Alas your Mr Takagi didn't see it that way ... so he won't be joining us for the rest of his life."

Yes this is the Century City Towers in the b/g the two twin buildings http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/showfile.exe?CISOROOT=/buildings&CISOPTR=3259 with the Hyatt Regency Hotel on Avenue of the Stars in front (and the hotel in your picture) this is on the same street as the "Die Hard " building. This is a recycled shot from "Dynasty" and the Aaron Spelling shows from the late 1980s Im sure . :D

Judging by the screen capture from the episode (as seen in the post in this thread), I would guess that the shot was taken from near Fox studios, closer to Pico or maybe Olympic Blvd. If the hotel is in the foreground and the twin buildings are behind it, that would be my guess. I think they are actually across the street from each other (it's a very wide street...I believe that's Avenue of the Stars).Fwiw, that hotel is scheduled to be torn down, though preservationists have tried to save it. Many a president have stayed there.Also, When President Reagan retired, he had an office in one of those buildings. My friend happened to get on the same elevator as him one day as Reagan was leaving his office.Finally, interesting trivia: Century City is named after 20th CENTURY Fox. The movie/flop "Cleopatra" pretty much bankrupted the studio, so to save itself, Fox sold it's backlot which was developed into Century City.Die Hard's 'Nakatomi Plaza' is actually a Fox office building, built not long after the above shot was taken. I would put money on it that "Die Hard" was a Fox release.

The Two triangle buildings look good as well as the hotel in front of them but I still cannot place the camera or other buildings even using old sat pics..

The Two triangle buildings look good as well as the hotel in front of them but I still cannot place the camera or other buildings even using old sat pics..

If these don't match and it was reused footage from Dynasty, might it have been stock footage of Denver, CO as that's where the series was supposed to be based? The area surrounding the downtown skyscrapers is as flat as that in the screencap.

Alot of those buildings have been seriously remodeled in the last 10 - 15 years, so that may be throwing things off a bit. I don't know how to use googlemaps too well, but you may want to try the intersection of Olympic and Avenue of the Stars and see if that helps.

If these don't match and it was reused footage from Dynasty' date=' might it have been stock footage of Denver, CO as that's where the series was supposed to be based? The area surrounding the downtown skyscrapers is as flat as that in the screencap.[/quote']Yes I believe "Dynasty" was based in Denver, Co but they filmed in LA - I remember seeing these in "Dynasty" when they filmed in California a few times . Century City has been remodelled extensively since the 1980s . The key could be finding the highrise prominent in the picture . I suppose some crew and producers worked on "Dynasty" and "Miami Vice " at that time - if I recall "Dynasty" was a huge show and was No #1 in America for a while and starred John Forsythe .:D

Yes I believe "Dynasty" was based in Denver' date=' Co but they filmed in LA - I remember seeing these in "Dynasty" when they filmed in California a few times . Century City has been remodelled extensively since the 1980s . The key could be finding the highrise prominent in the picture . I suppose some crew and producers worked on "Dynasty" and "Miami Vice " at that time - if I recall "Dynasty" was a huge show and was No #1 in America for a while and starred John Forsythe .:D[/quote']It is a tough one as a few things line up but others don't so I will work on it again after I finish work on Forgive Us Our Debts.

It is a tough one as a few things line up but others don't so I will work on it again after I finish work on Forgive Us Our Debts.

Great - Forgive Us Our Debts:D

Alot of those buildings have been seriously remodeled in the last 10 - 15 years' date=' so that may be throwing things off a bit. I don't know how to use googlemaps too well, but you may want to try the intersection of Olympic and Avenue of the Stars and see if that helps.[/quote']Think I'll have to rewatch Die Hard over the weekend & see if I can get some screencaps of the surrounding buildings of Century City from 1988 ... it's a tough job but somebody has to do it :) :glossy:FYI - my 2010 photo of the area was taken from our car on the Santa Monica Blvd heading westbound - it was the best view we got of the Die Hard skyscraper

Think I'll have to rewatch Die Hard over the weekend & see if I can get some screencaps of the surrounding buildings of Century City from 1988 ... it's a tough job but somebody has to do it :) :glossy:FYI - my 2010 photo of the area was taken from our car on the Santa Monica Blvd heading westbound - it was the best view we got of the Die Hard skyscraper

I went into that building a few years ago - unchanged since Die Hard interior wise :D

A Rock and a Hard PlaceMost of that episode was filmed in CA. Thats where my dad did his bit as a running double for Don Johnson; however, I have no idea where.

I went into that building a few years ago - unchanged since Die Hard interior wise :D

Oh wow! I would love to go there. We saw it by chance from the freeway as I'd bought a brilliant book on LA which goes into great detail of where movies & tv series were filmed and where the stars really lived (not like the "Stars homes" maps). Looking at the pages on Century City, it mentions other buildings there used in movies which might give extra neighbourhood screencaps - Park Hyatt Los Angeles (2151 Avenue of the Stars at Galaxy Way) used in Lethal Weapon 2 when Riggs & Murtargh are guarding Leo (any views when Mel's stuntdouble goes out of the window with the baddie?)Century Plaza Towers - depicted as the location of Cybill Shepherd & Bruce Willis' Blue Moon Detective agency in Moonlighting, and also as Steele Investigations in "Remington Steele".Being a Bruce Willis fan, I've got the Moonlighting box set so I'll have a quick run through of that & also of Lethal Weapon 2 for those scenes as they were made around the time of Vice so we may get better clues from them on what Century City was like in the 80s

Oh wow! I would love to go there. We saw it by chance from the freeway as I'd bought a brilliant book on LA which goes into great detail of where movies & tv series were filmed and where the stars really lived (not like the "Stars homes" maps). Looking at the pages on Century City' date=' it mentions other buildings there used in movies which might give extra neighbourhood screencaps - Park Hyatt Los Angeles (2151 Avenue of the Stars at Galaxy Way) used in Lethal Weapon 2 when Riggs & Murtargh are guarding Leo (any views when Mel's stuntdouble goes out of the window with the baddie?)Century Plaza Towers - depicted as the location of Cybill Shepherd & Bruce Willis' Blue Moon Detective agency in Moonlighting, and also as Steele Investigations in "Remington Steele".Being a Bruce Willis fan, I've got the Moonlighting box set so I'll have a quick run through of that & also of Lethal Weapon 2 for those scenes as they were made around the time of Vice so we may get better clues from them on what Century City was like in the 80s[/quote']Nice, wasn't some of the orginal planet of the apes series also filmed there?

Oh wow! I would love to go there. We saw it by chance from the freeway as I'd bought a brilliant book on LA which goes into great detail of where movies & tv series were filmed and where the stars really lived (not like the "Stars homes" maps). Looking at the pages on Century City' date=' it mentions other buildings there used in movies which might give extra neighbourhood screencaps - Park Hyatt Los Angeles (2151 Avenue of the Stars at Galaxy Way) used in Lethal Weapon 2 when Riggs & Murtargh are guarding Leo (any views when Mel's stuntdouble goes out of the window with the baddie?)Century Plaza Towers - depicted as the location of Cybill Shepherd & Bruce Willis' Blue Moon Detective agency in Moonlighting, and also as Steele Investigations in "Remington Steele".Being a Bruce Willis fan, I've got the Moonlighting box set so I'll have a quick run through of that & also of Lethal Weapon 2 for those scenes as they were made around the time of Vice so we may get better clues from them on what Century City was like in the 80s[/quote']Interesting! :D:thumbsup:

Screen cap:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5741[/ATTACH]Our pic:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5742[/ATTACH]QUOTE]I've watched Die Hard & Lethal Weapon 2 and below are a couple of screencaps from them showing a few of the Century city buildings from the 1980s. I watched the first 3 eps of Moonlighting & haven't found anything on there yet. Don't know if these will help identify any of the buildings in the original Vice screencap. DIE HARD:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5788[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5789[/ATTACH]LETHAL WEAPON 2[ATTACH=CONFIG]5790[/ATTACH]

post-178-13892964338188_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892964338689_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892964339004_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892964339387_thumb.jpg

Screen cap:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5741[/ATTACH]Our pic:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5742[/ATTACH]QUOTE]I've watched Die Hard & Lethal Weapon 2 and below are a couple of screencaps from them showing a few of the Century city buildings from the 1980s. I watched the first 3 eps of Moonlighting & haven't found anything on there yet. Don't know if these will help identify any of the buildings in the original Vice screencap. DIE HARD:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5788[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5789[/ATTACH]LETHAL WEAPON 2[ATTACH=CONFIG]5790[/ATTACH]
Great shots !:D

Another California location I came upon while working on my next episode on my location site. The exterior of Moon's trailer in Down For The Count Part 1:Eingefügtes Bild

Another California location I came upon while working on my next episode on my location site. The exterior of Moon's trailer in Down For The Count Part 1:Eingefügtes Bild

Really interesting!:D