California locations:

C Glide

20 hours ago, airtommy said:

Bam, you got it!!!   I didn't understand the pictures and your links, but Crown Towers was the breakthrough.  Once I looked at that, it all made sense.

• red = Crown Towers (10701 Wilshire Blvd)
  • yellow = Sterling Wilshire (10717 Wilshire Blvd)
  • white = twin towers on Century Park E in Century City  http://binged.it/26lBVpm

Shadow1.png

This Bing sat pic is looking west:

Shadow2.png

Google Street View pic of the Crown Towers and the Sterling Wilshire:

Shadow3.png

So with all that in mind are these the houses in the foreground of that establishing shot on Malcolm Avenue? Looks like some good matches - the house with white triangular shape behind these houses actually on the corner of Malcolm Avenue / Weyburn Ave matches up exactly if you go to streetview . All seems to match and the angle would be right too?!! This area of LA is Westwood

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.0622554,-118.4414452,72a,20y,90h,45.08t/data=!3m1!1e3

:D

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Which must make this is where the establishing shot was shot from on Hilgard Avenue looking West - what d'yall think?!:dance2:

This address ( in the link below ) is 969 Hilgard Avenue - Park Westwood Towers .The W Hotel Beverly Hills, just further along Hilgard,  is not in the shot so it was either taken from there or this condo building . The W Hotel was there in the 1980s.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.0622792,-118.4434015,151a,20y,90h,44.95t/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by Matt5

On 4/24/2016 at 8:57 AM, Matt5 said:

Which must make this is where the establishing shot was shot from on Hilgard Avenue looking West - what d'yall think?!:dance2:

This address ( in the link below ) is 969 Hilgard Avenue - Park Westwood Towers .The W Hotel Beverly Hills, just further along Hilgard,  is not in the shot so it was either taken from there or this condo building . The W Hotel was there in the 1980s.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.0622792,-118.4434015,151a,20y,90h,44.95t/data=!3m1!1e3

Yes, I like it!  I can see houses on Malcolm Ave that match up perfectly.  And Park Westwood Towers looks right for the camera location.  The W Hotel is too far over.

Shadow4.png

black = Park Westwood Towers at 969 Hilgard Ave

Shadow5.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

You guys are incredible! :clap:You would have even found this location, if it were in the middle of the Cambodian jungle, I suppose!

It was a collaborative effort: Charlie Glide gave us the general area, Matt5 found the precise location, and I painted the pretty diagrams.    :)

• Like 2

On April 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM, CharlieGlide said:

50) Shadow In The Dark: Unknown CA. town

If you're referring to the shot taken that establishes dawn, with the buildings and foothills in the far background, I believe the buildings are Century City, just west of West Hollywood and bordering Beverly Hills. I'll have to look at the episode to be sure, but I think it's taken from Hollywood or more precisely, the Hollywood HIlls looking south-west.I tried to link to google maps here but it comes up as Century, FL. Try googling "Century City, Los Angeles, CA" .I believe the taller buildings are on Avenue of the Stars.

OK, time for you to dazzle the security guard with your charm so you can get up on the roof and re-create the Miami Vice camera shot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, airtommy said:

OK, time for you to dazzle the security guard with your charm so you can get up on the roof and re-create the Miami Vice camera shot.

Ha ha -Yes this is a must - they are residential units - so may even have condo's available to rent/view :dance2::dance2:

Edited by Matt5

7 hours ago, airtommy said:

This was not an exclusive Miami Vice shot but an establishing shot from 1986 used from "Dynasty" I believe - as a few of the same directors / line producers worked on both shows this somehow got over to MV :-)

Great work, it all makes a lot more sense now. I just triangulated back from several of the identified buildings ( on GE) and the lines intersect in the Park Westwood Towers about 1/3rd of the way down the building from the north end.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, C Glide said:

BTW it also answers the question that had been in my head. Sunrise or sunset shot? It was a morning sunrise shot.

I was about to correct you but then I realized had I confused east/west.  I do that ALL THE TIME.  I just scrambled back and edited my post.  :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, C Glide said:

Great work, it all makes a lot more sense now. I just triangulated back from several of the identified buildings ( on GE) and the lines intersect in the Park Westwood Towers about 1/3rd of the way down the building from the north end.

A nice location found !! and pinpointed exactly where the camera was located !:fireworks::fireworks:

Edited by Matt5

• 1 year later...

Just adding the Bluebird Market and Regent Theatre(448 South Main St) on South Main Street , Downtown Los Angeles to this thread from Season 5s "Too Much , Too Late" . With the camera moving all S. Main towards Winston Street:hippie:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.0470614,-118.248193,3a,75y,95.19h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1se_eSATTMYhxDXeypU-xpOg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by Matt5

Next I'm going to look around South Main Street / Spring / Broadway and W5th for this LA location which must be Downtown also , I hope:hippie:

IMG_3728.JPG

13 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Next I'm going to look around South Main Street / Spring / Broadway and W5th for this LA location which must be Downtown also , I hope:hippie:

IMG_3728.JPG

Looking at this - must be the Alexandria Hotel on Spring / West 5th St in Downtown LA. (501 South Spring Street):hippie:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.0473533,-118.249696,3a,75y,288.64h,88.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sceix7u4jZaoR8r5AWLfi2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

10 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Looking at this - must be the Alexandria Hotel on Spring / West 5th St in Downtown LA. (501 South Spring Street):hippie:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.0473533,-118.249696,3a,75y,288.64h,88.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sceix7u4jZaoR8r5AWLfi2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

This is a great candidate.  The street is one-way due to the traffic light on the left side of the road.  That rules out your other suggestion (W 6th & Spring), unless they have changed the roads in L.A.  That's possible, since they changed Flagler in Miami.  My only problem with the Alexandria Hotel spot is that there is a fire hydrant today but not in the scene.

564 S. Main St is another possibility

Edited by airtommy

16 hours ago, airtommy said:

This is a great candidate.  The street is one-way due to the traffic light on the left side of the road.  That rules out your other suggestion (W 6th & Spring), unless they have changed the roads in L.A.  That's possible, since they changed Flagler in Miami.  My only problem with the Alexandria Hotel spot is that there is a fire hydrant today but not in the scene.

564 S. Main St is another possibility

Very doubtful the roads have been changed in Downtown LA since 1989. Both look good - I will look into 564 S.Main Street.

The Key is the inner stairwell which may need to be seen on the ground so to speak :hippie:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Very doubtful the roads have been changed in Downtown LA since 1989. Both look good - I will look into 564 S.Main Street.

The Key is the inner stairwell which may need to be seen on the ground so to speak :hippie:

Yes, we're lucky that we have such a good view of the hotel interior.  That staircase makes me 99% certain we'll eventually confirm this location.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Yes, we're lucky that we have such a good view of the hotel interior.  That staircase makes me 99% certain we'll eventually confirm this location.

Me too - I will be in the LA area later in the year for a while and this is one location I will check out on the ground :hippie:

Edited by Matt5

• 3 months later...

Season 4s "Rock and a Hard Place " was the Miami Vice 'LA ' episode -

Another Los Angeles location featured was the famous Hyatt House on Sunset Bvld in West Hollywood at N. Kings Road. 
(Interiors were filmed extensively for this episode at the exclusive Hyatt Regency in Coral Gables, FL)
Today the Los Angeles Hyatt House is named the Andaz - and was renovated in 2006 but still is quite recognizable. It was the rock 'n Roll hotel of the 70s in Hollywood and was featured in the 2000 movie "Almost Famous":hippie:

IMG_5890.PNG

IMG_5892.JPG

As well as my previous post - Rainbow bar & grill was also featured in the teaser of "Rock and a Hard Place" at 9015 Sunset Bvld , Hollywood.

Again, like the Hyatt House, well chosen by Vice producers as was a restaurant and a hangout  for musicians and still there Today. :hippie:

IMG_5897.JPG

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Of course we also know the set up Marina shot from “One Eyed Jack” was a California location.

The shot below was stock footage from the Marina del Rey hotel (13534 Bali Way) looking west to Marina del Rey and Venice in Los Angeles :cheers:

32809554-B3C6-41A4-B523-94F1B9917E4C.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Of course we also know the set up Marina shot from “One Eyed Jack” was a California location.

The shot below was stock footage from the Marina del Rey hotel (13534 Bali Way) looking west to Marina del Rey and Venice in Los Angeles :cheers:

32809554-B3C6-41A4-B523-94F1B9917E4C.jpeg

That's interesting! Had no idea about that. I was just wondering how come they sometimes used stock footage like this one?

• Like 1