Crocketts' Sloop?

aussiefan

Wow!That boat is in incredible condition for it's age! I noticed it only had 3188 (bit blurry?) on the Hobbs metre so it has not had a lot of useage in comparison to its age! The engine looks fine and veryclean and the wood on the interior of the boat is fabulous!I saw a boat two years ago that ...lets just say it was rotten!Nice find! The price is a bit high, but after viewings the pics I can see why he may be asking that.The other thing is because it's in Michigan, I can take into account it has seen a lot of fresh water?Salt can just kill a boat! My friend who took the Great Circle trip last year (Chicago to Mississippi around Florida and up the Intercoastal) was cleaning his boat last weekend and I saw first hand what salt can do even if it was only four months exposure!

The other thing is because it's in Michigan' date=' I can take into account it has seen a lot of fresh water?Salt can just kill a boat! My friend who took the Great Circle trip last year (Chicago to Mississippi around Florida and up the Intercoastal) was cleaning his boat last weekend and I saw first hand what salt can do even if it was only four months exposure![/quote']Salt water is indeed more damaging, but maintenance is by far the bigger factor, and this one looks to have been very well maintained. I've seen newer fresh water boats that look like absolute crap, and older salt water boats that are pristine for their age. My Columbia is going to be 45 next year, and while it's not pristine by any stretch, the auxiliary is solid and there's not a blister on the hull. The bottom is cleaned monthly, zincs are maintained, it's hauled and the bottom painted every three years. It's the maintenance that makes the difference. In fact, I have a bigger problem with gel coat deterioration from the sun with its age now. I'm probably going to paint the topsides for the first time this fall.One big issue particular to the Endeavor 42 is fuel and water tank replacement. To maximize accomodation, the designer Johan Valentijn located the fuel tank under the engine and the water tanks low in the bilge. These tanks are now over 25 years old and replacing them is extremely costly. I read an article in Boat US that one job cost $40,000 to replace both water tanks and the fuel tank because large parts of the saloon interior had to be disassembled and the engine removed to do the job. Yikes!!!

Wow!Your right...it could get costly if they are infact deteriorated?My friend at the Marina has a C&C and he had to replace his black water tank. When he tried to remove it from the interior he found it would not fit throught the doorway?!?Needless to say he had to open up the doorway and do a bit of woodwork trim removal to get it out. He had a custom one built from aluminum and seam welded with a tig. The welds were beautiful and he should get 25 years or more out of the new tank.

I've heard many horror stories like this, especially repowering. A friend of mine with a Formosa 41 ketch put in a new deisel about four years ago. The old one wouldn't fit through the companionway either. Luckily the saloon has a butterfly vent in it, but he had to disassemble the whole thing to get it out. It needed resealing anyway, but he figures it took him an extra 10-15 hours to take it apart and rebuild it. Imagine if you paid the yard to do that!

Funny you mentioned repowering...The drydocks are located just up the street from my Marina. They do large Lakers and oceopn going boats.Last year one of the Algo ships needed repowering so they cut the boat in sections. The last one quarter was cut off the ship while the other three quarters was re-floated and parked outside the drydock at mooring.Many months passed and they finally got the new engines (4) in the unit and proceeded to float the front half back into the drydock. They then drained the water out and fitted the two sections back together again and re-welded the entire ship.The boat was built in 1966 I think, so it faired well I suppose as it traveld the Great Lakes all those years.It was a very interesting production to watch over the four months it was in for repairs. I drove by it every day.Some sailboats have the engines installed then the upper deck is laminated on forever, so that is when you have to start cutting..........We have a boat in our marina in the back lot on a stand, that has been for sale for five years now, and he can't sell it for that exact reason. The four cyclinder diesel engine is blown and there is no way to get it out.Shame really as this was a great race boat. Huge mast and lots of sail and a real deep skinny keel. Forgot the name of the boat but they are rare and low in numbers.

Cool story about the boat being sectioned and refloated. I've never heard of that.Usually the last resort for repowering in that case is to disassemble the engine in place and take it out in parts rather than start cutting fiberglass. Then, of course, you have to get a new engine in, often in parts. Not cheap, all that labor!