DJ throws open Castillo's door...what EP?

freaky_72

I remember watching the E! true Hollywood story of MV and JE Olmos was discribing his contract about having creative control which set DJ off and the next scene he throw open Castillo's door because he was mad stemming from an off camera argument.What episode was this?Mods, forgive me if this is mentioned somewhere. I couldnt figure out how to word it in the search option.

• Like 1

I have no idea which episode this is.Good question though, as I've thought about that myself.

Olmos thinking he'd have controlI've read that Olmos thought he was going to be the top cast member and tried to tell Don what to do. And have been told that in Olmos' first year with Miami Vice in the episodes Olmos wouldn't even look at Don. I guess he soon realized that Don was the star of the show, not him. Never understood why he's thought of as a good actor. He never changes his expression and mostly grunts for dialogue.

I think it's actually 'No Exit.' I too was looking for it in One Eyed Jack, but I never saw anything like that.But in No Exit, there is one point where Crockett walks into Castillo's office, and swings the door shut so hard that the blinds next to take a huge swing.

I've been bothered with this question for a long time too, after watching that "E!" episode about MV... Though I don't really remember Castillo "not looking" at Sonny and anyone having to knock at Castillo's door, but I do remember the open door and Sonny sitting on Castillo's desk. :DThanks, DefinitelyCrockett, maybe the mystery is solved at last...

I've read that Olmos thought he was going to be the top cast member and tried to tell Don what to do. And have been told that in Olmos' first year with Miami Vice in the episodes Olmos wouldn't even look at Don. I guess he soon realized that Don was the star of the show' date=' not him. Never understood why he's thought of as a good actor. He never changes his expression and mostly grunts for dialogue.[/quote']As for EJO's acting talent, I think he made an interesting character, a kind of a "counterbalance" to hot-tempered Sonny. So maybe he just behaved according to his character... though I didn't really see him in other roles, and it's hard for me to have a distinct opinion.

• Administrators

EJO definitely was a different type of character and a welcome change. Even though I liked Rodriguez, he was still the stereotypical loud mouthed, hot headed Lt. you saw on almost every other cop show or movie.

I think it's actually 'No Exit.' I too was looking for it in One Eyed Jack' date=' but I never saw anything like that.[/quote']"One Eyed Jack" was also my first thought but in that episode Crockett kicks a garbage can as he leaves Castillo's office.

No Exit aired here in Australia today & there's definitely some door slamming in that episode lolIt's in the 2nd half of the episode, when Tubbs, Castillo, Crockett and the Feds are in Castillo's office. The Feds want to get the missiles while they have the opportunity, but Crockett slams the door shut (and the blinds on the door go swinging!) - he is fuming because he says that they are so close to getting it all - the missiles, Amato & everyone involved.

When Sonny blows off steam in Castillo's office about his Ferrari that was impounded, he throws the door open and slammed it back close again in the episode Whatever Works.That was the first thought that comes to mind when i saw this thread.

I wish Castillo was my boss... I wish DCI Gene Hunt was my boss... I wish Dr House was my boss... I wish anyone but my boss was my boss... wonder if I can try "doing a Crockett"... :p

I wish Castillo was my boss... I wish DCI Gene Hunt was my boss... I wish Dr House was my boss... I wish anyone but my boss was my boss... wonder if I can try "doing a Crockett"... :p

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6058[/ATTACH]

post-10471-1389296448431_thumb.jpg

I have seen those EP's where he slams the door shiut...but I am wearing out my dvd's trying to find where the throws the door OPEN.

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch... I can't even imagine what kind of a boss one must have to wish Dr House to be their boss... :eek:
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

OK so I give up.I have been through all of seasons 1 and 2 so far and still havent seen where Crockett throws Castillos door open because they had a off camera argument over creative control or something.Its either in a different version of the EP, or was just part of the story that EJO told on E! true Hollywood stories of Miami Vice. The footage must have ended up on the cutting floor or something.

I read in that things were so strained with EJO and DJ that EJO wouldnt look at DJ whilst filming - thats rubbish he looks a look at DJ:D

I read in that things were so strained with EJO and DJ that EJO wouldnt look at DJ whilst filming - thats rubbish he looks a look at DJ:D

According to the version of the story I heard, he only refuses to look at him for a few early episodes. After that EJO cooled off. If memory serves me correctly I recall EJO not looking at Crockett a few times early in the series.

According to the version of the story I heard' date=' he only refuses to look at him for a few early episodes. After that EJO cooled off. If memory serves me correctly I recall EJO not looking at Crockett a few times early in the series.[/quote']Yes true - now I remember I heard that too Jim - by late Series 1 and 2 EJO and DJ shared a lot of eye contact .:D

Yes true - now I remember I heard that too Jim - by late Series 1 and 2 EJO and DJ shared a lot of eye contact .:D

Well, The Home Invaders is basically the Sonny and Castillo episode (with Rico absent). In Child's Play, Castillo has become a friend to Crockett, consoling him in Sonny's accidental shooting of the boy. And somewhere in Season 5, the lieutenant buys Sonny a fishing rod for Crockett's son, Billy -- all a far cry from their turbulent way about each other in the beginning.

• 2 years later...

I don't know how the actors DJ and EJO really felt about each other.  But recently I discovered the following interview for the Archive of American Television:   http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/edward-james-olmos

He discusses the episode of the door to Castillo's office.  He's highly complimentary of Don Johnson and his work throughout his career, first of all.  But he does say DJ wanted Castillo's office door to be open, as he (DJ) apparently saw the OCB offices as a casual area where the detectives could walk in and out of the lieutenant's office at will, and the lieutenant was one of the guys (EJO didn't use those exact words).  EJO, on the contrary, felt it was important to the dynamic of the whole office, to the definition of his character Martin Castillo, and to the relationship between the new guy (Castillo) and his detectives, that Castillo was a very different person from Lou Rodriguez.  Because of Castillo's history with the DEA, he doesn't grant instant trust, and he is not going to be bulldozed by his senior detective.  Since his contract did grant him creative control over Castillo's character, EJO quietly persisted in his vision of Castillo and his office practices and he didn't roll over.  It took awhile for the rest of the cast (we could probably say DJ ;)) to accept that.  However, in no way was he derogatory toward DJ or anyone else on the show, regardless of what feelings any of the actors may have had toward each other in real life.

Ultimately I think the tension between the characters in those initial episodes helped the show and added necessary balance to counter the more flamboyant portrayals of the two main characters.  Castillo and Crockett seemed to quickly develop respect for each other as well as a rapport that grew from their somewhat shared experiences in the "Southeast Asian Conference."  

• Like 3

Vicegirl85 mirrors my understanding of it. EJO seems to recall that early tiff fondly in retrospect. Having met EJO, I can attest he is very humble and intellectually generous, but creatively focused and purposed in his vision.