Episode #46 "Stone's War"

Ferrariman

3 hours ago, Sebax said:

Two episodes so far in season 3, and MV is getting more political than ever!

It was a good ep, better than Irish Eyes. I'm still missing the pastels, though.

8,5/10

Yeah the pastels are a big miss, as the season goes on though you will notice Sonny wearing white jackets and pants. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Yeah the pastels are a big miss, as the season goes on though you will notice Sonny wearing white jackets and pants. 

Crockett’s wardrobe in Stones War was very good.

• 1 year later...

I am......... I think 12 years late to this thread, but here I go:

This episode was a very nice one.

After the "meh" intro we got with the previous episode, this episode was quite refreshing. We get Ira Stone again, this time making a better appearance.

Also that Testarossa introduction. 5th most legendary scene from the entire show, not to mention we got that "When the rain comes down" chase to fulfill this new addition.

Last time we see Elvis :(

And we kinda get introduced to the S3's athmoshpere and especially........ predictable *endings*. Someone must die, eh ? I actually liked Ira Stone's character. Could've made some great apprearances in the future. Sadly, he got cut out of the show........ Atleast it was a pretty good episode.

I remember the first time watching this episode, and being both pleased and not that the S1/2 athmoshpere kinda...... dropped. I saw this first time in "When Irish eyes are crying", but confirmed it in this episode.

Edited by Adrian321
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
“Stone’s War”...a sequel to 2nd season’s "Back in the World". I didn’t really care for “Back in World”, and I don’t really like or feel any differently about "Stone's War" either...one of my least favorites of the season. :o 

Again, Stone irritated the heck out of me...as did our little evil troll "Capt. Real Estate". :rolleyes: Although, G. Gordon Liddy was pretty interesting & cool himself. However, I didn't like it that Stone dies in this one, his true story never is released, and like I stated before...Real Estate gets away and is never caught! :evil: Talk about a poo-poo undies ending! :thumbsdown: 

However, some of the action and music were pretty good. :radio: I also thought some of the violence and aftermath scenes with the bloody children at the beginning were pretty realistic for the time...and I'm a little surprised that was allowed back then. Love the 50's truck Crockett has to drive when he picks up Stone at the airport. Like he yells at Castillo later...I look like Little Abner when I show up! :)

Tying in with that...the only superb aspect that sort of “saves” this episode, is Crockett acquires his white 1986 Ferrari Testarossa, with Crockett's Theme playing in the background! Yeah, baby!! :thumbsup: :dance2: The Testarossa was my favorite of Sonny's two Ferraris, but I loved both. 

Overall, I don't really care for this one...like its predecessor before, I threw this one a 6.
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I also thought some of the violence and aftermath scenes with the bloody children at the beginning were pretty realistic for the time...and I'm a little surprised that was allowed back then.

I always suspected that first bit may have been lifted from actual news clips, although I don't know for sure.  I don't recall seeing anything onscreen in the actual episode or in the credits that named a source.  But it was a fact that some of the political unrest and upheaval in Nicaragua at the time was supported by clandestine US policies and operatives.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 6:28 AM, Adrian321 said:

Last time we see Elvis :(

I had not realized that. Sonny mentions him in s4 but we never see Elvis again as far back as early s3? Wow. So his last line to Elvis is another threat to turn him into a suitcase...heh, seems appropriate:)

I love this episode btw.

I was blown away by the introduction of the testarossa. Season 3 was definitely taking a darker tone, but scenes like this with Jan in full flight still gave me confidence the show was on track.

It has probably been mentioned but I believe the vehicle was supposedly confiscated from the Irish guy (Bunny Barrigan?) from s3e1: hence Crockett's  comment "new paint new rubber" The chase scene was cool, if a bit forced with that coincidentally placed trailer they drove under.:p

I liked Ira. I was sad that he died and pretty shaken when I first saw it and he was being tortured like that. The show was always good at conveying violence without actually showing the act. Ira's scream was chilling.

I like that he was courageous in the end and I always appreciated his sense of humor: like asking Sonny for some pot, blatantly annoying the airline ladies or quipping how "it must be my lucky day" after said torture.

Liddy was cartoonishly evil but I didn't mind. It worked for me.

The plot had some pretty big holes, especially around the whole copy or original tape thing. I mean a copy can be just as incriminating so I didn't really get that whole thing.

But overall I loved this episode. MV always did sad endings well. Bad guys win a lot and they weren't afraid to show it. His last words to Ira showed how much he cared for him "You're going to be famous..."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fakespyder said:

I had not realized that. Sonny mentions him in s4 but we never see Elvis again as far back as early s3? Wow. So his last line to Elvis is another threat to turn him into a suitcase...heh, seems appropriate:)

I love this episode btw.

I was blown away by the introduction of the testarossa. Season 3 was definitely taking a darker tone, but scenes like this with Jan in full flight still gave me confidence the show was on track.

It has probably been mentioned but I believe the vehicle was supposedly confiscated from the Irish guy (Bunny Barrigan?) from s3e1: hence Crockett's  comment "new paint new rubber" The chase scene was cool, if a bit forced with that coincidentally placed trailer they drove under.:p

I liked Ira. I was sad that he died and pretty shaken when I first saw it and he was being tortured like that. The show was always good at conveying violence without actually showing the act. Ira's scream was chilling.

I like that he was courageous in the end and I always appreciated his sense of humor: like asking Sonny for some pot, blatantly annoying the airline ladies or quipping how "it must be my lucky day" after said torture.

Liddy was cartoonishly evil but I didn't mind. It worked for me.

The plot had some pretty big holes, especially around the whole copy or original tape thing. I mean a copy can be just as incriminating so I didn't really get that whole thing.

But overall I loved this episode. MV always did sad endings well. Bad guys win a lot and they weren't afraid to show it. His last words to Ira showed how much he cared for him "You're going to be famous..."

Glad to see someone  else was  sad when Ira died- I liked him and Sonny  did too. So that's three of us :) Says volumes for you, fakespyder!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

Glad to see someone  else was  sad when Ira died- I liked him and Sonny  did too. So that's three of us :) Says volumes for you, fakespyder!

Four :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

This is an exciting, engrossing espionage tale dealing with the controversial Contra affair.  This also has one of the best song line-ups of the third season with excellent music from Steve Jones, Andy Taylor, Peter Gabriel and Jackson Browne.  I'm a hand-on-heart Western Civ. anti-Communist type, so this depiction of American corruption is painful - but necessary to always keep reality and truth under harsh lights.  

We see a lot of Sonny's boat and Elvis in this one, but I think this is Elvis' last appearance?  Bob Balaban and G. Gordon Liddy are back with their welcome characterizations.  I also like seeing the gorgeous Lonette McKee.  The killing of the cameraman was based on a real event: John Hoagland of Newsweek who was shot and killed in El Salvador in 1984.  This was also dramatized in the film Salvador.  

I know that some on this thread are sorry that Stone was killed here, and, although it would have been good to have him back a third time, he always seemed like a character living on borrowed time.   

• 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

But in the next shot he doesn't have them on, plus I have never seen him with clear lenses. 

That was probably Bobby Foxworth in the flashing lights shot

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/10/2021 at 4:39 AM, ViceFanMan said:
Tying in with that...the only superb aspect that sort of “saves” this episode, is Crockett acquires his white 1986 Ferrari Testarossa

Jackson Browne's "Lives in the Balance" was really a great fit to the ending scene again. Absolutely perfect.

PS: I had to Google what is "Little Abner" and I only came up with some old comic strip. What did Sonny mean with that comment (English not my first language so I didn't get it).

image.png.47deb57e7fbb2805863922a9d11c7346.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, apocalypse said:

Jackson Browne's "Lives in the Balance" was really a great fit to the ending scene again. Absolutely perfect.

PS: I had to Google what is "Little Abner" and I only came up with some old comic strip. What did Sonny mean with that comment (English not my first language so I didn't get it).

image.png.47deb57e7fbb2805863922a9d11c7346.png

Lol, Li’l Abner was a satirical comic strip, mainly focusing on a group of hillbilly type characters. :) So, Crockett’s remark was sarcastic, as he was making fun of the old truck & the comic strip...referencing the old comic as he felt it was something that hillbillies or backwoods people would drive. :p In Miami in the multi-Million dollar drug business, he needed something that looked the part, and an old 50s pickup truck wasn’t gonna cut-it. ;) 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Have just uploaded the Rossa introduction scene in 4K for a better experience. Sound engineering was great in this scene too just like always :)

The only thing that hurts my ears is the 340 horsepower part :D the testarossa's power output is  287kW(390PS) which is 385 bhp(brake horsepower)

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Kalci said:

The only thing that hurts my ears is the 340 horsepower part :D the testarossa's power output is  287kW(390PS) which is 385 bhp(brake horsepower)

Even for the 80s, I would have thought a Ferrari Testarossa would have had a lot more than 340 horsepower?? My Camaro RS has 345! :p

• Like 1

385bhp was supercar power back in 1984. Only Lamborghini LP400 and those kind of SUPER cars were able to match those numbers.

C4 corvette with L98 engine was only 240bhp and 245bhp in 1986-1987 and even less back in 1984 when it first came out. Of course chevy with the C4 aimed the low end of ferraris like the 308 which had similar performance. Porsche 911 with its rear mounted 6cylinder boxer engine was also far from 300+ horsepower aside from the turbo(porsche 930, widowmaker) Mercedes W126 coupe with the 5L engine was also just about 230bhp in 1983-1984 so actually a car with a power output 385bhp was huge back then. And the testarossa wasnt a particularly heavyweight car so the power/weight ratio was quite good too given it is a flat 12 cylinder engine in it. When Chevy dropped the C4 ZR1 with its LT5 engine and ZF6 transmission they were able to match the performance of the rossa but it wasn't possible until 1990.

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 2

Don't you just love this scene ?

Not for the lines, not for the clothes.

For the shooting venue, for that background while they speaking. This is definitely a have to visit place in MIAMI

Hope that park behind is still there and no skyscrapers in place after so many years have passed

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kalci said:

Hope that park behind is still there and no skyscrapers in place after so many years have passed

What say ye @Tom?

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

What say ye @Tom?

No, the park we see behind Crockett and Maynard is long gone.

It was on the north side of the parking garage (which is still there) behind the Greenberg Traurig Building at 1221 Brickell Ave, Miami Downtown.

Todays satellite pic is below. There are only a few palms left with lots of pavement around.

0AD1643C-7944-4B56-B800-D8C4D5AC89DD.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1