What's the best Crockett look?

Detective_Crockett

What I don't like about the Little Prince outfit is not about the little boy look, it's just the weird mix of horizontal and vertical stripes, and that short jacket that makes me think of a circus worker more than a cop ;-)

Sure, men and women have different eyes, Blue. That's one of the reasons why I love them LOL!

• Like 1

S1: for me the best. The original look. Effortlessly cool, or as Jodie Tillen puts it in the "Style of Vice" feature on the DVD extras, Crockett just threw on the cleanest thing in the morning. Classy clothes, e.g. the No Exit striped blazer. His hair is more casual, he just slicks it back while it's wet and off he goes. The outfits are not totally elaborate to the last detail. He's even wearing brown leather slippers sometimes.

S2: still great but for me, they overdid it. To much attention given to styling and colours. No longer the beach bum cop who carelessly puts on what's there. That hair...well I tried that style on myself for quite a while at the time and it took forever and a ton of gel and spray for it to look that way. Not credible that he would look like that after a drive in the Daytona. Everything just screams stylist here. Also the ultra-wide, double/tripple creased and pleated pants he sometimes wears are somewhat too much for me.

S3: simply the worst. Not because of the darker colours, but muscle shirts and ballerina shoes together with that mullet.....come on! what where they thinking?

S4: Trying to get back to former glory but those batik and painted pattern shirts and especially the blow dryer hairdoo are blowing it. The Burnett style during the amnesia eps is absolutely awesome though and very in line with the story. The Crockett personality is totally erased also out of the look and the fictious bad guy is fully taking over. (Michael Mann reused the look on Val Kilmer in 'Heat')

S5: I like it. That long messy hair has the original beach bum breaking through again, the drug dealer facade is worn out and starting to fall apart which they also nicely hinted through Crockett wearing t-shirts full of holes under his blazers (e.g. in Over The Line)

• Like 3

Good analysis, daytona365.  I agree with your points on S1, 2--as much as I love the S2 look (and I do), it's super-styled rather than careless; agree also with all of your comments on S4.  Although I personally dislike the S5 look and feel it's too sloppy and messy-looking, upon viewing several of the episodes recently and keeping Crockett's state of burnout in mind, it fits.  Love your comment about the holey shirts!

Now I did kind of like the S3 look.  Not right away but it grew on me.  The short spencer-type jackets are sometimes odd-looking. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Season 1 - At the beginning Crockett looked strange but later he started to go all with pastels and he had his hair cut, but nothing really is conspicious.

The Best Look in Season

Good analysis, daytona365.  I agree with your points on S1, 2--as much as I love the S2 look (and I do), it's super-styled rather than careless; agree also with all of your comments on S4.  Although I personally dislike the S5 look and feel it's too sloppy and messy-looking, upon viewing several of the episodes recently and keeping Crockett's state of burnout in mind, it fits.  Love your comment about the holey shirts!

Now I did kind of like the S3 look.  Not right away but it grew on me.  The short spencer-type jackets are sometimes odd-looking. 

I agree, great analysis on all points here. My favorite is definitely season 2, with the season 1 very close. I always liked the season 1 "careless" vibe, but I think the threads and hair really peaked in season 2. Sure, there were some over the top fashion calls, but nothing perhaps as over-blown as season 3. I was never a fan of the very short jackets.

I wear a lot of black and grey in my current life, so it's also always cool to see Sonny rocking anything in those shades of color for me as well, regardless of the season.

S1: for me the best. The original look. Effortlessly cool, or as Jodie Tillen puts it in the "Style of Vice" feature on the DVD extras, Crockett just threw on the cleanest thing in the morning. Classy clothes, e.g. the No Exit striped blazer. His hair is more casual, he just slicks it back while it's wet and off he goes. The outfits are not totally elaborate to the last detail. He's even wearing brown leather slippers sometimes.

S2: still great but for me, they overdid it. To much attention given to styling and colours. No longer the beach bum cop who carelessly puts on what's there. That hair...well I tried that style on myself for quite a while at the time and it took forever and a ton of gel and spray for it to look that way. Not credible that he would look like that after a drive in the Daytona. Everything just screams stylist here. Also the ultra-wide, double/tripple creased and pleated pants he sometimes wears are somewhat too much for me.

S3: simply the worst. Not because of the darker colours, but muscle shirts and ballerina shoes together with that mullet.....come on! what where they thinking?

S4: Trying to get back to former glory but those batik and painted pattern shirts and especially the blow dryer hairdoo are blowing it. The Burnett style during the amnesia eps is absolutely awesome though and very in line with the story. The Crockett personality is totally erased also out of the look and the fictious bad guy is fully taking over. (Michael Mann reused the look on Val Kilmer in 'Heat')

S5: I like it. That long messy hair has the original beach bum breaking through again, the drug dealer facade is worn out and starting to fall apart which they also nicely hinted through Crockett wearing t-shirts full of holes under his blazers (e.g. in Over The Line)

Outstanding summary here, daytona365. I completely agree with the "amnesia Burnett" style. The neckties and pony tail worked very well.

This might sound silly to some, (hopefully humorous) but as a big fan of 80's music, for some reason Sonny's long hair always reminded me of Daryl Hall's (Hall and Oates) hairstyle look that he was sporting around the time of the "3 Hearts In The Happy Ending Machine" (1986) and "Ooh Yeah" (1988) albums, especially with the leather jacket. When Sonny adopted this look, it just didn't work for me. However! I do really like it on the level it showed, as vicegirl85 pointed out, Sonny's burnout of the entire job. 

Is there a "best season look" forum thread for Tubbs? I'm in the middle of re-watching season 2, and this might be my favorite for him as well. 

• Like 2

Is there a "best season look" forum thread for Tubbs? I'm in the middle of re-watching season 2, and this might be my favorite for him as well. 

I agree, Tubbs looked his best in S2--hair and clothing both well put-together and sharp.  Although I can't help wondering how he keeps from melting in the heat with his buttoned double-breasted blazers... 

• Like 4

Season 1 - At the beginning Crockett looked strange but later he started to go all with pastels and he had his hair cut, but nothing is really conspicuous like in the next season.

The Best look

post-5783-0-21906700-1441984768_thumb.jp

The Hit List

and

post-5783-0-05987800-1441984794_thumb.jp

Smuggler's Blues

The Worst Look

post-5783-0-62406900-1441984806_thumb.jp

Pilot

and

post-5783-0-91930400-1441984816_thumb.jp

Little Prince

Season 2 - Crockett grows his hair and from now on he wears expensive and exclusive suits. He weras pastels all the time as well. One of my favourite Crockett's look.

The best look

post-5783-0-67797700-1441984825_thumb.jp

Payback

The worst look

post-5783-0-66142300-1441984839_thumb.jp

One way ticket, no comment :-)

Season 3 My favourite season and Crockett's look especially at the beginning. Short, spike hair and darer clothes - for me perfect. I like contrast combinations for example - pastel pants and darker top:

post-5783-0-24546400-1441984854_thumb.jp

In later episodes DJ's hair started to remind me Macgyver's mullet like here. For me... terrible

The best look

post-5783-0-68178700-1441984864_thumb.jp

When Irish Eyes Are Crying

and

post-5783-0-83790000-1441984873_thumb.jp

Everybody's in Showbiz - Navy blue + Golden yellow = great combo

and

post-5783-0-59316400-1441984883_thumb.jp

Red Tape - cool harrington jacket

and

post-5783-0-36037700-1441984897_thumb.jp

The Good Collar - cool henley t-shirt

The Worst Look

post-5783-0-80151900-1441984908_thumb.jp

I don't remember the title

and

post-5783-0-11530800-1441984926_thumb.jp

post-5783-0-60151700-1441984941_thumb.jp

When Irish Eyes Are Crying

Season 4 - For me the worst season and the worst fashion in MV. I mean Crockett looked here more like a lady with his strange, patterned clothes. And he wears the same blazer for at least 4 episodes. The only time he looked batter was at the end of Deliver us from evil and this is my favourite DJ's look in season 4.

post-5783-0-13744200-1441984952_thumb.jp

Toughguy....

The worst look

post-5783-0-53365800-1441984960_thumb.jp

I don't remember the title

and

post-5783-0-48472200-1441984973_thumb.jp

-//-

Season 5 - For me OK. He looked quite cool in most of the episodes. Occasionally he wore denim and leather. The only thing I don't like is his hair in later episodes.

The best look

post-5783-0-28308500-1441984982_thumb.jp

Miami Squeeze

and

post-5783-0-98697100-1441984990_thumb.jp

Line of fire - This one was hard to capture :-)

and

post-5783-0-94105600-1441984998_thumb.jp

Line of Fire

The worst look

post-5783-0-14536300-1441985012_thumb.jp

Victims of Circumstance

Edited by Hubert7671
  • Like 2

WOW  Hubert7671  !!!!

What a job and effort !
Thank you so much for showing us your statement with such many and very good examples via screenshot!
I definitely appreciate that a la masse !! :clap:  :clap:  :flowers: 

Cool pics but you didn't like his look in the pilot? =O I don't know, to me he looked like a real vice cop. but Then when the show was picked up he started looking more like a hair dresser. His look in the pilot was believable and I love that Navy Jacket with the lines.

post-5783-0-62406900-1441984806.jpeg

Edited by thedeparted94
  • Like 3

I realize that many fans of MV find this look classic but for me it was just ,,an experiment'' for Crockett's style. I don't really like combinations like t-shirt under shirt. Maybe DJ doesn't look very bad in Pilot but believe me I know people who wear something like that every day. It just looks silly for me. I agree with you that in later seasons (especially in season 2) he looked more like a dude. The show started to focus a bit too much on a fashion and music.

Edited by Hubert7671

• Administrators

Cool pics but you didn't like his look in the pilot? =O I don't know, to me he looked like a real vice cop. but Then when the show was picked up he started looking more like a hair dresser. His look in the pilot was believable and I love that Navy Jacket with the lines.

post-5783-0-62406900-1441984806.jpeg

That's actually a shirt, not a jacket.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i like his season one and two look. it's funny if you notice the difference in his hair cut  from the first few episodes and later on that season. that's the difference between a hair stylist cutting your hair  and a $5 dollar cut. 

But i like those seasons and season 3 was cool too. Don looks great with the long hair too, but the earlier style was more iconic i'd say.

I liked them all. My favourites being the beginning and the end. And I really got a feel for the longer hair signalling a change within Sonny and it gave him a new aura. A much warmer side.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Season one for me but two is close. I liked season 3 but at point you start wondering how long it takes him to get ready for work. I mean that hair in season 4 took some time. I like the clothes best in season one &  two also.   Season 4 is just somebody trying way too hard to get the Vice look back. 

Since I don't see a thread on Tubbs, I like him best with no tie. The clothes he wore in "Freefall" was the best he'd looked in a long time.  I like the suits but when they sucked the color out he began to look like a banker.  I love episodes like "No Exit" where he just has a nice shirt on. It's how freaking hot in Miami??  When he's wearing a beard and a grey double breasted suit with a tie, he just looks like he'd be uncomfortable.  Ties are good when he wore them in the first 2 seasons though.  The "Evan" look is my favorite overall. 

Edited by Noggie

• 6 months later...

Season 1 all the way for me, but not the horrendous style pilot, or the first few episodes where it was a bit too long.

Don's hair peaks mid season, and would never get any better than this. Not too long, not too short. Milk Run is where you can tell he has had a decent cut, and then all the way through until The Home Invaders. 8 episodes where Don would look his absolute coolest. Not too much gel (like series 2), not too long at the back, not too long on top. It's a classic cut which doesn't look 80's dated, and you can wear that even now.

After that it starts getting too long again.

This is the set of images I use when I go to the hairdressers to get my hair cut. It's screenshots I grabbed from some of those 8 episodes.

Don2.jpg

Edited by Crockett Theme
  • Like 6

Agreed. My wife always comments how good his look is on “One Eyed Jack”—also on “Little Prince”, but his blazers on that episode, though... :) 

Edited by Dadrian

for me the lighter the better. nothing beats the linen pants and vest, light T-shirt, and espadrilles. season 5 hair is a bit weird for nowadays standards, but it totally matched with the era

This is my favorite shirt that Crockett ever wore in the whole series. If anyone knows who made it, or where to find one, please help!

From “Theresa”:

5FD51127-CD83-413D-820B-8AF28FE5FE04.jpeg

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

My favorite style was S1-S2. Great haircut in S2. No complaints.

My favorite DJ hairstyle though was early S3. Made me start spiking my hair in a similar way. And I really dug the darker fashions. His mullet thing he had going on though was a mistake.

S4 was the worst. Although I like some of the shirts. But the clothes were just too baggy.

S5 had some cool clothes and is probably the closest to how I dress.

• 3 months later...
On 2/9/2018 at 3:08 PM, Crockett Theme said:

Season 1 all the way for me, but not the horrendous style pilot, or the first few episodes where it was a bit too long.

Don's hair peaks mid season, and would never get any better than this. Not too long, not too short. Milk Run is where you can tell he has had a decent cut, and then all the way through until The Home Invaders. 8 episodes where Don would look his absolute coolest. Not too much gel (like series 2), not too long at the back, not too long on top. It's a classic cut which doesn't look 80's dated, and you can wear that even now.

After that it starts getting too long again.

This is the set of images I use when I go to the hairdressers to get my hair cut. It's screenshots I grabbed from some of those 8 episodes.

Don2.jpg

Those are some great screengrabs. I always say the next time I watch the series, I wanna watch them in production order, rather than air date. Just so I can see how Don's hair changed throughout the series, lol. Not to mention get a decent aim on how long Zito had his beard in season 2, lol. I personally prefer the slightly longer look of season 2, but you definitely hit the nail on the head when you say that the look isn't dated. It does come close to the 'middle parted' look that a lot of men and young boys had particularly in the mid 80's where it was kinda the same length (a little over the ears and a little extra in the back), but something about the way they styled it on the show made Don stand out.

• 1 year later...

Did he ever wear this outfit on the show? DJ looks cool and i like the moody clouds in the background.

Miami_Vice_7071921.jpg.bddcd11201d0bfbca9526517242cc6bf.jpg

Edited by Vincent Hanna

6 hours ago, Mrich209 said:

So I've been rocking the season 2 for a while, almost there with the styling...

20190524_160512.jpg

20190524_160311.jpg

20190524_160248.jpg

20190524_160231.jpg

Awesome! Welcome to the site!