Episode #45 "When Irish Eyes Are Crying"

Ferrariman

I gave this one an '8' and was a nice season opener....Appears everyone has this one covered and season three shows this series to really come together and It may make me change my mind on my favorite season. Does it seem that all of the guys Gina gets involved with' date=' she shoots?....Sonny seems to be the exception....Hmmm.....Mike[/quote']Maybe that's why Crockett was always trying to keep a distance from her. He made out it was because he was still on the rebound from Caroline, when in fact he was worried about Gina "Praying Mantis" Calabrese mating with him, then killing him. Maybe the rest of the team had to pull Gina away from the bodies of her boyfriends afterwards in case she tried to eat them? ;)

This is a good episode, but like most Gina episodes, there's too much emphasis on the romance than the actual case. Someone mentioned it would have been better as a 2-part ep, and I agree. It was a compelling storyline that could have been developed more.The music was good and the Daytona being blown up was classic. I give it a 7/10.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

While it's not on the list of my favorites I think it's quite good episode with some classical scenes to it.The final showdown was great.7.5/10 (I rounded it up to 8 for the poll)

• 6 months later...

Id call it a 7, the atypical obvious 'militia gun nut white supremacists who are businessmen first' types as well as a lot of story shoved into too short an episode really leaves this one w/ something to be desired, and the whole 'Gina covering for a suspect' thing is getting old IMO. I do like how they showed the Over zealous Brits to be willing to allow escalation so they can violate people rights even more than they already do, that part was great. I just think it was too short, rushed and squeezed though

Aside from Jeff Fahey, this episode was one big bucket of FAIL.Santiago and Liam Neeson's scenes were like watching paint dry on continual loop. I'm a huge Patti Labelle fan, but "The Last Unbroken Heart" is one of the absolute worst songs I've heard on a MV episode.

:sick::sick: :sick:

Edited by MrsEvanFreed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I liked this episode. It was smart to bring IRA matters to Miami.Another Gina/Saundra episode where she ends up sleeping with the enemy and wake up to a "WTF did I sleep with again" moment.She brings out the feminine sensitivity & vulnerability in the team over the seasons. It is a good balance.J.

• 11 months later...

Alright, there's the new VICE. A completely innovative look is offered to us, Sonny's beloved Daytona is blown up and there's a deeply political plot.:happy::happy::clap::clap:All these things stand for Season 3. Although the change of the style (not the design!!!) is often criticized, I love this (short) style-turn because Sonny's and Rico's clothes are still extreme cool and and unique. Besides Sonny already wears his white jackets at the end of Season 3.The story about IRA terrorist Sean Caroon who disguises himself as peace activist is excellent.:glossy:This is a prelude to lots of episodes in Season 3 which have a political background and which belongs to my favourite ones!They took up the world affairs and create an individual story about it - that's TV at its best!:happy:This serious story is a coupled with a a personal love affair of Ginawhich makes the whole thing still more delicately.She won’t believeher friends and that’s a mistake because later it’s all the more harder forher. :cry: I admire theabundance of great guest stars in WhenIrish Eyes Are Crying. Not onlyLiam Neeson, but also Paul Gleason, Jeff Fahey and especially Walter Gotell areawesome actors. :thumbsup:Gotell is world-famousfor his characterization of General Gogol in the James Bond-series. He perfectlyrepresents gun freak Max Klizer and fits into VICE. I also like thehardened character of Jeff Fahey who blows up Sonny’s Daytona! It’s notablethat Donnie’s and Jeff’s paths cross a couple of times, at least in Machete.:cool: The episodeis very stylish; green, blue and yellow dominates. Rico only wears elegantsuits and Sonny his Spencer-jackets and his Persol has its premiere – very verynice sunglasses.:glossy: Probablythere could be more music; I don’t like Imaginebecause it’s so often played (although it fits to the scene!), but The Last Unbroken Heart is very gorgeous.Jan Hammerpresents us a track which is also played in FlorenceItaly – I love this score!:radio::radio: In myopinion When Irish Eyes Are Crying isa brilliant start of Season 3! 10 of 10points!

• 2 months later...

Maybe the worst episode so far.A comedy stereotype Brit, a dreadfully unrealistic shootout at the end. Crockett has hair like an East German javelin thrower. Tubbs hardly says a word. And worst of all the right-on political element including Crockett getting indignant with the posh Brit. One piece of dialogue stuck out for em though. The Brit says something like 'one day if bombs start going off over here you'll understand why we do what we do.' Very prophetic.I hope this isn't an example of what season 3 will be like. The one redeeming feature were the scenes with jeff Fahey, esp when he blows up Crockett's car

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

After a small break from watching Vice, I recently started watching the season 3 episodes. To my own surprise, I find the episodes on acerage better than the episodes of season 2. With some absolute gems that belong to the top of the vice episodes. Also, the music choices of season 3 are fantastic in a lot of cases. When we think of the Vice music, the first songs that come to our mind are the obvious ones like in the air tonight, red 7's Heartbeat, Godley's Cry. But songs of season 3, although maybe lesser mentioned could easily challenge them.That being said, I found when Irish eyes... not a strong opener. It was okay, the story was different than other vice episodes because of the Irish theme in between. But I am not a big fan of Saundra as an actress. Someone before me already mentioned that she seems like a latina Melanie Griffith, who also comes across as a dimwit because of that voice. I am sure saundra is a sweet woman and she is pretty to look at, but in terms of acting it is very wooden. And a bit boring, especially in this storyline.That being said, there were also some good parts: Crockett's first meeting with Jeff Fahey's character and the girl with the stickey fingers, General Gogol (I am a huge James Bond fan), and of course the end of the Daytona and than especially watching DJ's shocked face.Liam Neeson's acting wasn't very good, which is dissapointing, because we know that he is a decent actor, who has played in great movies. But he wasnt in best form in this episode. As an opening episode to a season, it was weak, it was an average, almost forgettable episode. I give it a 7. And that is being generous.

• 6 months later...

I know a lot here didn't care for this episode as the season opener...but I disagree. I really like this episode, and it's one of my favorites of 3rd season!The guest-star power in this was fantastic...with Liam Neeson (a clip from this episode was shown on Jay Leno with him not too long ago--talking about his start in acting), Walter Gotell as Max Klizer (more famously known as General Gogal in several of Roger Moore's 007 James Bond movies in the 70's and early 80's), Paul Gleason, Jeff Fahey, etc...! :clap:I also love the action and storyline...this one focusing more on Gina, which is rare. Usually the more personal plots always revolved around Crockett and Tubbs. Not to mention that Gina was freakin' hot throughout!! :happy:;) The gunplay with Castillo, as well as Gina with Caroon (Neeson) at the end was awesome too! I also liked the music in this one, as well. :radio:The end of the Daytona was sad :cry: but was shocking the first time you saw it :eek: , and Crockett's expression was somewhat understandable but humorous :p , while Tubbs keeps "it" together and just smiles while saying..."Sold!" That's probably my favorite part of the episode! :DThe only aspect I noticed was missing, and I didn't care for as much, was the pastel clothes for Crockett and Tubbs. That color scheme was till very prevelant with the buildings and interiors for rooms :thumbsup: , but was missing from the wardrobe. I know the 1st and 2nd seasons both had 2hr. openers--with "Brother's Keeper" (Pilot) and "Prodigal Son". However, I don't particularly care for "Prodigal Son". But, I thought "Irish Eyes are Crying" was a strong season premiere and started the season off superbly! The only episode that should have been the season opener over this one was "El Viejo". Then we wouldn't have the whole "ghost Spyder" phenomena. ;) But, we can thank Don for that one popping up later. :)Overall I really like this one and I gave it an 8! :cool:

• 2 months later...

I think I previously described this as, "By the end, you'd have wished you was on the flight that liam neeson wanted to blow up"..Yeh it's that bad. It's like Gina's version of Dutch OvenWe do get to see the Daytona bite the dust though so thats one good thing.

I think I previously described this as' date=' "By the end, you'd have wished you was on the flight that liam neeson wanted to blow up"..Yeh it's that bad. It's like Gina's version of Dutch OvenWe do get to see the Daytona bite the dust though so thats one good thing.[/quote']Sorry...have to seriously disagree with you on this one too. :p It's an awesome episode and I still stick by my original review / rating :thumbsup: :
I know a lot here didn't care for this episode as the season opener...but I disagree. I really like this episode' date=' and it's one of my favorites of 3rd season!The guest-star power in this was fantastic...with Liam Neeson (a clip from this episode was shown on Jay Leno with him not too long ago--talking about his start in acting), Walter Gotell as Max Klizer (more famously known as General Gogal in several of Roger Moore's 007 James Bond movies in the 70's and early 80's), Paul Gleason, Jeff Fahey, etc...! :clap:I also love the action and storyline...this one focusing more on Gina, which is rare. Usually the more personal plots always revolved around Crockett and Tubbs. Not to mention that Gina was freakin' hot throughout!! :happy:;) The gunplay with Castillo, as well as Gina with Caroon (Neeson) at the end was awesome too! I also liked the music in this one, as well. :radio:The end of the Daytona was sad :cry: but was shocking the first time you saw it :eek: , and Crockett's expression was somewhat understandable but humorous :p , while Tubbs keeps "it" together and just smiles while saying..."Sold!" That's probably my favorite part of the episode! :DThe only aspect I noticed was missing, and I didn't care for as much, was the pastel clothes for Crockett and Tubbs. That color scheme was till very prevelant with the buildings and interiors for rooms :thumbsup: , but was missing from the wardrobe. I know the 1st and 2nd seasons both had 2hr. openers--with "Brother's Keeper" (Pilot) and "Prodigal Son". However, I don't particularly care for "Prodigal Son". But, I thought "Irish Eyes are Crying" was a strong season premiere and started the season off superbly! The [i']only episode that should have been the season opener over this one was "El Viejo". Then we wouldn't have the whole "ghost Spyder" phenomena. ;) But, we can thank Don for that one popping up later. :)Overall I really like this one and I gave it an 8! :cool:

• 7 months later...

I'm watching it right now. It's an obvious highlight for the season. Gina's acting is fine, I can't believe someone criticized that, she can only do what she has to work with and the writers never gave her much. The episode is a classic, direction by Mario Di Leo (who also did Good Collar) is sleek and solid, and the supporting cast is phenomenal, particularly Walter Gotell and Jeff Fahey. Opening teaser is great, ripped from the headlines story is intriguing, also the Scotland Yard guy is another clever bad cop/antagonist thrown in the mix. Music is top notch, particularly Hammer's score, he comes up with two brand new themes, the celtic bagpipe-sounding one and the rush to the airport cue both of which are never heard again. Patti Labelle's song was good in the context of the usage of the episode (also note the lovely instrumental version used during the beach walk scene - my avatar). The dialogue is crisp and on target, and the lighting and production values are high, so good in fact the rest of season 3 would never look as good in my opinion. Episode moves really fast and leaves the first two seasons in the dust. It's just a shame that the rest of season three couldn't hold up to this high water mark. I deeply feel that El Viejo should have been the opener, but this was the next best thing.

• Like 1

I'm watching it right now. It's an obvious highlight for the season. Gina's acting is fine, I can't believe someone criticized that, she can only do what she has to work with and the writers never gave her much. The episode is a classic, direction by Mario Di Leo (who also did Good Collar) is sleek and solid, and the supporting cast is phenomenal, particularly Walter Gotell and Jeff Fahey. Opening teaser is great, ripped from the headlines story is intriguing, also the Scotland Yard guy is another clever bad cop/antagonist thrown in the mix. Music is top notch, particularly Hammer's score, he comes up with two brand new themes, the celtic bagpipe-sounding one and the rush to the airport cue both of which are never heard again. Patti Labelle's song was good in the context of the usage of the episode (also note the lovely instrumental version used during the beach walk scene - my avatar). The dialogue is crisp and on target, and the lighting and production values are high, so good in fact the rest of season 3 would never look as good in my opinion. Episode moves really fast and leaves the first two seasons in the dust. It's just a shame that the rest of season three couldn't hold up to this high water mark. I deeply feel that El Viejo should have been the opener, but this was the next best thing.

Good little review - notice how much more sleeker and glossier it was than Season 2. :D  :)  :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

A good episode, I give it a 8/10 at best, I however just recently learned that originally this was going to be a 2 hour episode set in Ireland, but it wasn't possible because Don at the time had commitments to his album Heartbeat...as much as I love the album Heartbeat, I do think it would have been amazing to see the 2 hour episode set in Ireland, then in some ways this wouldn't have been as underwhelming as a Season starter when you consider the Pilot and The Prodigal Son.

A good episode, I give it a 8/10 at best, I however just recently learned that originally this was going to be a 2 hour episode set in Ireland, but it wasn't possible because Don at the time had commitments to his album Heartbeat...as much as I love the album Heartbeat, I do think it would have been amazing to see the 2 hour episode set in Ireland, then in some ways this wouldn't have been as underwhelming as a Season starter when you consider the Pilot and The Prodigal Son.

I think El Veijo was shot before WIEAC and was originally intended to be season opener but the studio execs switched it for some bizarre reason. El Veijo is a much stronger episode imo and they wouldn't have the Daytona re-appear again 5 episodes after it was blown to smithereens.

• Like 1

I think El Veijo was shot before WIEAC and was originally intended to be season opener but the studio execs switched it for some bizarre reason. El Veijo is a much stronger episode imo and they wouldn't have the Daytona re-appear again 5 episodes after it was blown to smithereens.

They switched the running order because they thought the Daytona blowing up was more spectacular than Willie Nelson!  :birdie:  The same thing happened in Season 4: NBC thought the "Crockett in jail" scenario of the rather bland Contempt of Court would draw in more viewers than the exceptional Death and the Lady, which was meant to be the season opener.

Edited by Spyder