FOUND! PILOT EPISODE JACKET/ SHIRT!

COOPER&BURNETT

Anyone believes someone could design this shirt without having watched the pilot?

shirt.jpg.ce699b13245b1535bbf76bb295e01f66.jpg

It's now hanging in my closet...still not the original that C&B has, but probably the closest I will ever get to that. I still need to replace the buttons with some dark blue ones though.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2

Anyone believes someone could design this shirt without having watched the pilot?

Shirt-vi.jpg

It's now hanging in my closet...still not the original that C&B has, but probably the closest I will ever get to that. I still need to replace the buttons with some dark blue ones though.

I like it!

Great looking shirt Daytona365! Worn with a black t-shirt, and you'll have the Pilot episode look! I'm always THRILLED when I see someone still dedicated to getting the MIAMI VICE look! 

The closest I ever saw to the original was actually a shirt last year in Sears of all places. IThe markings were very, VERY close to the original. It was a cotton shirt, and short sleeved. I went back twice thinking about getting it, but then I thought....I already own the original shirt, what do I hope to accomplish buying it? I didn't get it, as I couldn't do better than what I already had.

Nice shirt. When do we get to see a photo of you wearing your new Crockett Pilot episode shirt?!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

The original shirt Don Johnson wore is 100% linen, and it's a size large. It's a thin, light, big, very roomy shirt. It doesn't fit like a regular shirt, as it's cut to be roomy.

pilot%20stipe_zpsnj1rnibl.png

So the advice of buying a larger size may be a smart idea.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Great findings, guys. The alternative shirts recall the original a lot. And Coop's right: the size (and cut) is what sets them apart, which applies to almost all the fashion of the 80s compared to what we have now.

The size trick is something I've been using a lot since the mid 90s, when everything became tight and stuffed. It can work as a breeze in some cases. Other times you need adjustments on the sleeves or  more, like working on the back. But if the item worth the price and you - addicted vicer - are happy with it, well you're going to wear it for a lifetime ;-)

So is quite a good investment.

I did it with my white blazer I bought last year: believe me, it looks cut and packed in the 80s. Pics on arrival ;-)

• Like 1

Not sure why they are still doing "SLIM FIT" clothes. Personally, I don't like it. If I do buy it, it has to now be an XL or an XXL for it to fit me correctly.

I still prefer how much of the clothes in the 80's fit. Linen, loose and comfy!  Plus, it was colorful, inventive, and stylish!!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Not sure why they are still doing "SLIM FIT" clothes. Personally, I don't like it. If I do buy it, it has to now be an XL or an XXL for it to fit me correctly.

I still prefer how much of the clothes in the 80's fit. Linen, loose and comfy!  Plus, it was colorful, inventive, and stylish!!

I actually prefer slim fit shirts, because I'm a slim guy myself, so then I can undo the top buttons and show off my gold chain and chest hair. :)

I guess if you're slim, you buy slim fit, if you're a big fella, you buy loose clothes.

But yeah, I have a pastel blue loose shirt and it just looks very baggy on me, even though it's a size S. Slim fits my slim body perfectly, and that is why they are still making slim fit clothes.

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2015 at 6:43 AM, COOPER&BURNETT said:

Great looking shirt Daytona365! Worn with a black t-shirt, and you'll have the Pilot episode look! I'm always THRILLED when I see someone still dedicated to getting the MIAMI VICE look! 

The closest I ever saw to the original was actually a shirt last year in Sears of all places. IThe markings were very, VERY close to the original. It was a cotton shirt, and short sleeved. I went back twice thinking about getting it, but then I thought....I already own the original shirt, what do I hope to accomplish buying it? I didn't get it, as I couldn't do better than what I already had.

Nice shirt. When do we get to see a photo of you wearing your new Crockett Pilot episode shirt?!

you're gonna see it....right now:

1554800288_Style6-2.jpg.2df052acd1966b6412a1b2f7498c5c0c.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2

It looks great! You pulled it off, as it get's more than a passing grade. This must be based on the original without directly copying it. Too much of a coincidence.

Great Job daytona365!

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

• 5 years later...
On 8/8/2012 at 11:30 PM, COOPER&BURNETT said:

Well, it could be, ;) but I never mention who made these items.Glad you like it Matt5!

Why would you not mention who made the items? How does that help fans? 

59 minutes ago, Lit Up said:

C&B hasn’t posted on the forum in several years, in case you’re expecting a response.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, pahonu said:

C&B hasn’t posted on the forum in several years, in case you’re expecting a response.

Some of us think he’s pulling a Tony Arcaro. He’s now resting in a wall somewhere after a misunderstanding on the purchase of a wardrobe piece. 

RIP Coop. :hot:

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Lit Up said:

He once said that it was so he could have less competition in the market to buy more of these hard-to-find items. He wasn’t being mean. Just kind of like a fisherman who doesn’t wanna tell anybody where his fishin’ hole is. :thumbsup:

If you have questions about specific items, I can probably answer them. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hey folks,

To anyone who is still interested in this shirt jacket i have read about it being a gianni-versace  shirt.

Its not that exclusive as you can see this shirt again in a music video by a group called Double.

Its pronounce Doo-blaay. The song is called Captain Of Her Heart. Youve all heard it before.. Maybe you didnt know there were 2 music videos for this song. One for the U.S. and one for Europe.

Check it out. You will see the lead singer wearing it 

Cheers

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 10:49 PM, Huge in Japan said:

Hey folks,

To anyone who is still interested in this shirt jacket i have read about it being a gianni-versace  shirt.

Its not that exclusive as you can see this shirt again in a music video by a group called Double.

Its pronounce Doo-blaay. The song is called Captain Of Her Heart. Youve all heard it before.. Maybe you didnt know there were 2 music videos for this song. One for the U.S. and one for Europe.

Check it out. You will see the lead singer wearing it 

Cheers

HOLY CRAP! He’s (she’s?) right!

I’ve always loved this song, but I’ve never seen the video. 

The shirt is clearly seen around the 3:23 mark.

Thanks @Huge in Japan!

This forum never ceases to amaze me with such rare discoveries! :fireworks: :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys :) 

That shirt is definitely Gianni Versace spring summer 1984. DJ wore so much Versace in the show, especially in that first season.

I have a nice piece seen a couple of times in the 3rd season :) 

Another designer he wore some of was Marithe Francois Girbaud.

Screenshot 2021-12-29 at 18.36.03.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@Dadrian

Rare picture of DJ and Patti D'Arbanville around the time of filming the pilot.
Apparently DJ really liked that shirt jacket. :D

dl.beatsnoop.com-1690827650.jpg

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Crockettt said:

@Dadrian

Very cool! Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 2:31 AM, Crockettt said:

@Dadrian

LOVE the jacket too. Looks like the same color and pattern of the jacket he wore in "Florence Italy" and "Definitely Miami", except that jacket had a shawl lapel, and this is clearly a notch. Gotta say, given the navy shirt and even darker blue pants, I honestly think that this particular look is a PERFECT way to contempor-ize the Miami Vice style without looking too obvious/loud/silly. Something I kinda do already.

• 1 month later...

As a service to my friends here, I would like to announce that if any of you are considering bidding on this item, beware

It seems to be a copy to me. The stripes on the collar are the wrong direction, and the material doesn’t seem to be right on the close-ups. 

I don’t think the seller is knowingly scamming anyone. In a message exchange, they seem to believe it’s a genuine item the same as from the pilot. 

It’s a great copy, but it seems it’s going to fetch a genuine item price. :eek:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335029585776?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Aiu-DZCjSyC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=pubP6yz6RwS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_6784.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dadrian said:

As a service to my friends here, I would like to announce that if any of you are considering bidding on this item, beware

It seems to be a copy to me. The stripes on the collar are the wrong direction, and the material doesn’t seem to be right on the close-ups. 

I don’t think the seller is knowingly scamming anyone. In a message exchange, they seem to believe it’s a genuine item the same as from the pilot. 

It’s a great copy, but it seems it’s going to fetch a genuine item price. :eek:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335029585776?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Aiu-DZCjSyC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=pubP6yz6RwS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_6784.jpeg

I'd buy it for $30 knowing it's not the original just because it still looks nearly as great, but thanks for notifying us here. That's something I probably would have missed.