RARE WAYFARER LENS REPLACEMENT!

COOPER&BURNETT

WOW....I'm worn out.After over a year, I have finally completed what I started.I had purchased a pair of light tortoise shell RAY BAN WAYFARER sunglasses that are sold in Europe, but not in the U.S.A.. I love my dark tortoise frame wayfarers, but I wanted to also get the light tortoise frame lenses, as it's the closest to the old 1980's wayfarer tortoise frames (thus as close to what Crockett wore in MIAMI VICE) that you can get in the newest classic style wayfarers.O.k., I got the sunglasses, but the light tortoise frame lenses ONLY come with brown lenses, and don't come with the G-15 grey / green lenses, like the 80's versions did. So, after tons of problems trying to obtain replacement lenses imported from Italy, I finally got the G-15 lenses, and had them replace the brown lenses.So........on the following pages, you can see the before, and after photos of the sunglasses, now that it's finally done.Enjoy!Eingefügtes BildHere's the sunglasses as they came with brown lenses.

Here's the wayfarers with the G-15 lenses installed.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildHere's a side-by-side photo of the frames with both grey/green lenses, and the original brown lenses.

All flash and no da.... No, wait, yeah. Flash and dash! The way they should come straight from Ray-Ban. Looks slick Coop!Great angles on a couple of those shots!

[SIZE=7">

ISNT RAY-BAN SUPPOSED TO BE KEPT ON THERE???:radar:

NO! MOST PEOPLE HATE IT ON THE LENS' date=' (and hate the logo on the temples even more) AND THE 1980'S MIAMI VICE WAYFARERS NEVER HAD THEM[/font'].

and dash! The way they should come straight from Ray-Ban. Looks slick Coop!Great angles on a couple of those shots!

Thanks! It's as close as you get to the 80's version with the new classic wayfarers!I love wayfarers!! I think I'll buy some more. :thumbsup:

Here's a shot of the brown lensed light tortoise wayfarer next to the current U.S. version dark tortoise frame wayfarer.Eingefügtes Bild

Now, here's the same two wayfarers, but this time, the brown lenses have been replaced with the G-15 lenses.Eingefügtes Bild

BUT YOU DID PRETTY MUCH PAY THE FULL PRICE FOR RAY-BANS WHEN YOU CAN GET THE SAME PAIR WITHOUT THE LOGO FOR £5 or $5 MAN?:radar:

BUT YOU DID PRETTY MUCH PAY THE FULL PRICE FOR RAY-BANS WHEN YOU CAN GET THE SAME PAIR WITHOUT THE LOGO FOR £5 or $5 MAN?:radar:

Well' date=' I only wear [u']Real Ray Ban Wayfarer sunglasses. The Craftsmenship of hand made glasses in Italy with high class workmanship, and quality materials make it worth the money. Why buy a copy, when you can own the real deal?

I still prefer the 902.... I dont like the light brown color...its kinda tacky for my taste..."Just look in the mirror when wearing the sunglasses, and you automatically look cool!" Coop, about Wayfarer :)

"Just look in the mirror when wearing the sunglasses' date=' and you automatically look cool!" Coop, about Wayfarer :)[/quote']Pal....your the coolest, with, OR without your 902 Wayfarers! :thumbsup::cheers:Eingefügtes Bild

Here's a side by side shot of an 80's vintage pair of Wayfarers, and the new Wayfarer. The idea is to show the color of the frames. Eingefügtes BildHere's the same shot, but with the brown lenses still in it.Eingefügtes Bild

Excellent job. I love how you found the lenses without the Ray Ban logo on them.My friend gave me a pair of these sunglasses, but with a catch: He was so excited to find and buy them that he wore them all the time. A while back, he was in a rush and SAT on the sunglasses while getting into his car. The impact broke a part of the frame and took the sunglasses in for repair.The repair folks did an awful job. Not to the average eye, but the refined collector could see the difference in one side of the sunglasses. My friend was so bummed, he refused to wear the sunglasses, nor did he even want to see them.So he gave them to me. I don't wear 'em much. They're pretty heavy. But even the damaged version are pretty cool. No where near as cool as Coop's but they look alright from one side, haha.

Excellent job. I love how you found the lenses without the Ray Ban logo on them.My friend gave me a pair of these sunglasses' date=' but with a catch: He was so excited to find and buy them that he wore them all the time. A while back, he was in a rush and SAT on the sunglasses while getting into his car. The impact broke a part of the frame and took the sunglasses in for repair.The repair folks did an awful job. Not to the average eye, but the refined collector could see the difference in one side of the sunglasses. My friend was so bummed, he refused to wear the sunglasses, nor did he even want to see them.So he gave them to me. I don't wear 'em much. They're pretty heavy. But even the damaged version are pretty cool. No where near as cool as Coop's but they look alright from one side, haha.[/quote']Always cool to score a pair of sunglasses! Sorry what happened to your friends glasses, but sorry to hear of the bad repair job. Sometimes, things are better replaced than repaired.I didn't find the lenses without the ray ban logo, they had them on the lense.Eingefügtes BildI did what we explained in the other thread about I started about New Wayfarers, on how Ferrariman discovered that you can scrape off the logo from the lense safely. That's what I did.Eingefügtes BildNow it's extremely close to the 80's original!Eingefügtes Bild

BUT I ADMIT THEY ARE LEGEND! ANOTHER GOOD SCORE FROM OUR LEGEND COOPER :p I'm suprised you don't own this website because you should :p:radar:

Excellent job. I love how you found the lenses without the Ray Ban logo on them.My friend gave me a pair of these sunglasses' date=' but with a catch: He was so excited to find and buy them that he wore them all the time. A while back, he was in a rush and SAT on the sunglasses while getting into his car. The impact broke a part of the frame and took the sunglasses in for repair.The repair folks did an awful job. Not to the average eye, but the refined collector could see the difference in one side of the sunglasses. My friend was so bummed, he refused to wear the sunglasses, nor did he even want to see them.So he gave them to me. I don't wear 'em much. They're pretty heavy. But even the damaged version are pretty cool. No where near as cool as Coop's but they look alright from one side, haha.[/quote']I suppose he would be ok if he walked around sideways lol ; )

• 6 months later...

LensHow did you safely scrape off the name on the lens? I have vintage wayfarers and I prefer the B&L laser etching and regular studs on the arms, but If I buy I new pair I'd like to know. I have other ray bans, non wayfarer, and they have the ray ban name AND a big fat "P" because they're polarized. I'd like to get rid of that! I practiced on reading frames that came with stand in lenses, and I scratched em with the back of a razor (not the sharpened side, the dull side.)

• 8 years later...
On 8/21/2012 at 3:55 AM, COOPER&BURNETT said:

Here's a side by side shot of an 80's vintage pair of Wayfarers, and the new Wayfarer. The idea is to show the color of the frames. http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/100_3366.jpg

Hello, I'd like to know if these Wayfarers from 2012 are the same as the "new" ones, if they ever changed, with the light havanna setting:

image.thumb.png.6a4da317c2560b4fc8c3784d33785b84.png

I also found a pair on Vinted which seems to have yet another color (or does it ?)

1630323002.jpeg?s=e4bef90e267d8ba2ba83cd5ed399315c8922f491

So which ones can I buy to be sure to have the same color as yours ?