Episode #90 "Mirror Image"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...

Here we go with a true masterpiece. Mirror Image is #2 on my top ten favourites list. It is a fantastic episode. One of the all time greats. Such an uneven and mostly weak season really ended with a bang with this episode. It's so dark and atmospheric. The best episode of the Burnett trilogy. This episode has all the landmark elements of Vice with a new spin on it. We get to root for the bad guy in this ep. Sonny Burnett joins the ranks of Tony Montana and Tommy Vercetti. He looked so cool dressed to the nines in those suits and those great sunglasses. He's really bad. He even tries to kill Tubbs. Yikes! DJ was excellent in the bad guy role and PMT was also excellent as the vengeful Tubbs. I really like the dream sequence. The first time they got surrealism right on the show. It was unlike anything we'd seen on MV previously. It was more like something from an avant garde New Wave movie. Beautiful scenery in this ep; Manolo's mansion, the Clevelander pool on Ocean Drive and the Pink House back for the first time since No Exit. Lots of tension too, especially in the intro. Some great Before They Were Famous appearances too, from Julia Roberts and Chris Cooper. Savour Jan Hammer's music here because this was his final episode. Just an all round perfect episode. Compelling the whole way through then with a great ending that left you wanting more. Brilliant ep. Fantastic. Vice at it's very best. 10/10

• Like 3

Guest neworder

The best Miami Vice had to offer in terms of a Season finale. Can't falter it really. Great showcase of Jan Hammer's music, some decent artists music, great story, great acting, great scenery. I think I'm going to give this a 10/10Thats the 2nd 10/10 for Season 4 from me, yet it remains the worst Season from my ratings, really dragged down by some crap eps. I didn't even hand out a 10 for Season 3 yet scores a bit better than S4.

Topic: Episode #90 "Mirror Image" Posted: February 11 2008 We see a shot of Crockett looking in the mirror, touching the image of his hand as if to try & contact his true identity. The episode name "Mirror Image" was probably taken from this scene. The mood of the whole episode is somber, even before Crockett is thought to be killed in the boat explosion. The first time I saw this episode, I couldn't believe my eyes when Sonny shot Rico, only to breathe easier when we learn he was wearing a vest( pounds). I didn't know what Roland, the sargent meant. Tears from Gina, Trudy, & somber faces from all the OCB team when Sonny was presumed dead. This ep should have had a.... to be continued.... script at the end. Crockett's suits were PRIMO in this saga, color, style etc.! I must rate this 9.5/10 I rate it 10 for this poll.

• Like 1

10, 10, 10, 10 , 10 all the way!This one of the greatest episodes in the series as well as one of the most well-written and most powerful, we watch as one detective we've been following for these past 90 episodes goes from one of the finest cop's you'll ever see go to pieces in literally a couple of episodes. In Ep #88 he gets shot, in #89 his wife gets shot by a guy who he was duped into getting off death row and now here in EP# 90 we see as his entire personality is lost after nearly getting blown to smithereens on a boat and loses his memory and ends up working as sort of this ruthless hitman character for the same coke barons he was trying to put away, his best buddy is of course not letting go into discovering what happened to his partner and nearly gets blown away by Crockett in one of the most shocking moments in the show (I wonder how many people were thinking this was the end of Vice or something when this premiered in the '80's) and of course the final scene is a brilliant way to set up what was going to come up in the series final seasonThis may be a set-up for the next season, but it sure is brilliant and the action and style of this episode would have most of those CSI wimps running for cover, Mr. Burnett doesn't leave anyone alive in his wake.I voted a 10 but trust me, that's understating this episode, it breaks the ratings scale and reaches for the stars.

• Like 1

This may be a set-up for the next season, but it sure is brilliant and the action and style of this episode would have most of those CSI wimps running for cover, Mr. Burnett doesn't leave anyone alive in his wake.I'm a fan of CSI:NY, but this comment is hilarious. :)

From the start of this ep you cann feel the gloomy mood of this ep. Even in the talk Crocket had with tubbs at the harbor there is something sinister hanging around. You can see the tention in Crockett's body.I have said it before om the this forum somewhere the change from Crockett in to Burtnett is so compleet the body language everything. Even the sunglasses are different with a mirror.Great acting of DJ. Burnett was/is the perfect example why woman are attrackted to bad man.Just some short remarks of this epI found the scene with Doris Gumble quit funny!Sliver statues in romero home looked great!Julia Robert looks so young in her scenes.The shooting scene between Tubbs and Crockett was very dramatic but maybe the perfect way to let the audience see Crockett really was far away and Burnett took over.I loved the music in this ep and the clother were great!A 9 from me

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I give this season finale a 7. For the mere reason that this was not a feel good episode at all. As it ended as having Sonny being transformed into something that he had stood against his entire career as a Vice detective, though through no fault of his own. It had intrigue, but it just gives me a somber frown watching the ep's conclusion, even today. And it was also the last episode which had any of Jan Hammer's tracks.

• 2 years later...

I love the dark episodes of mv-this was the epitome for me.The ruthless Burnett-cold,unfazed-such a contrast because when we normally see Burnett undercover he is usually smiling and suave in his drug deals.Like someone mentioned the dream sequence was awesome-so eeire!Like the scene when he wakes up in hospital too.The guy who directed it Richard Compton i have seen his name a few times on eps-so he knows the series well-this has to be his finest work-j.hammer gave a perfect send off with the score.Only downside for me was the ending-i actually checked the back of the box to see if i had missed an ep printed after this one on the s4 boxset-whilst it set up s5 perfectly i wanted more!!!!back in the day i couldn't have gone the months till season 5-the sleepless nights would have been unbearable!Add in julia roberts and i cant give this any less than a 10.

• 1 month later...

Definitley one of the best endings to an episode in the series.Part of wonders how fans would've taken it, had this actually been the series finale?If MV wasn't renewed for a 5th and final season.Any thoughts?9/10

• 7 months later...

Awesome intro with Crockett still trying to deal with Caitlin's death, and then the boat explosion...hence the beginning of Crockett's twisted decent into amnesia, deception, murder, chaos, etc... It was tragic, but captivating at the same time!The "dark" and gritty aspects of the show were really showcased here, as well as the bizarre and shocking. Typically I don't like storylines where the main stars are on the run from police, or accused of the murder, or sad or tragic plots. But, this episode is mesmerizing and the plot totally out of left field. I actually really love this episode! Don is an amazing actor and I love the drastic but deadly changes from Crockett to Burnett...yet Burnett still has some of Crockett's personality traits, without Burnett realizing it. Very well done! Also...one of my favorite aspects to this whole episode is Julia Roberts...she was so beautiful throughout this whole thing! Oh yeah, baby!! :happy:The guest star power in this was pretty cool...with Julia as Polly Wheeler, Chris Cooper as Yagovitch, and Antonio Fargas as Alejandro Gutierrez! Tony Azito as Manolo was awesome too. Camille Sands as Doris Gumble cracked me up...what the heck was she/he (not sure which one) about? :)The plot of all these mob / gangsters / drug dealers caught up in trying to take each other over was cool, and was kind of disturbing but yet "fun" to just watch these psychos kill each other off. :rolleyes: But...hey, Julia Roberts was in this! :happy:The fashion and colors, mainly with Crockett's suits, were superb with the pastels and again reminiscent of the first couple seasons! The lighting in several scenes was really bizarre and awesome too! :glossy: The filming locations, mansions, pools used were breathtaking, and again the famous Pink House was showcased...this time as Polly's gallery, and it's always bizarre but captivating! Love it! :clap: Did I mention Julia Roberts was in this? :happy:The music is wonderful as we really get to enjoy Jan Hammer's superb themes again, sadly though for the last time. :cry: Other cool songs included were Money God by Big Pig, Alpha Centauri by Tangerine Dream, and Bed Bugs & Ballyhoo by Echo and the Bunnymen. :radio:The only real problem I have with this episode (and I hate to say this because I like him just as much as Don) was Philip Michael Thomas' performance. However, for all I know PMT did exactly what the director told him to do. But, it just seemed to me he didn't have much reaction when they thought Sonny was dead...he just sort of read the lines and either had hardly any emotion at all, or went a little overboard with "faky" emotion. :rolleyes: Not sure what was up with that, but it didn't mesh very well and it kind of bothered me. :confused: The scenes with him and his Ft. Lauderdale cop friend also seemed "forced" and not very convincing. I did, however, enjoy the one scene between Rico and Castillo...where they both finally agree that Tubbs needs to go and find out what really happened. :clap:But, the scene where Sonny just "blows" Rico away was wild...very disturbing, but again shockingly captivating! :eek: I love Crockett's/Burnett's demented, bizarre dream on the beach right after that...the lighting and fashion used were awesome and helped make it seriously creepy! :thumbsup: Have I stated that Julia Roberts was in this yet? :happy:The ending was really a shocker and leaves you completely hanging...and a definite indication that there would be a 5th season. However, the 5th would be the final one. :cry:Overall another Season 4 gem and I love it! I rated it a 9 (only reason I didn't go all-out with a 10 was again because of Tubbs' "strange" nonchalant-like performance with Crockett's supposed death at the beginning)! :thumbsup:Oh yeah...by the way, Julia Roberts was in this!! :happy::glossy:

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Amazing episode.  Cinematic quality.  I know that "Brother's Keeper" and "Prodigal Son" were sort-of released as movies, but some episodes like this and "Out Where the Buses Don't Run" have a cinematic quality, like, they seem too good to be an episode of a weekly television show.  Know what I mean?

I love the dream sequence especially, very freaky, but tasteful.  The Tangerine Dream tune sets the mood very uneasy.  I also especially love the scene where Burnett kills Gutierrez.  Badass.

Edited by AndrewRemington

• 2 months later...

...And the downward spiral of Sonny Crockett continues.  ...For better or worse. :p

If the last episode, "Deliver Us From Evil", left Crockett's psychology in shattered remains, leaving his mental state in a delicate situation after his intense emotional agony caused him to go against the law, then this episode of "Mirror Image", took those same shattered remains and constructed them into a horrifying depiction where his current disdain for the ineffectivity of the law (due to his history with Hackman) and possibly even himself, and his rage were amplified to the point of easily overtaking his mind.

Throughout the series, the audience has seen Crockett being tried through the hardships of seeing his relationships outside of OCB dissolving or weakening either due to death, estrangement, or those individuals having criminal ties/vices that were all somehow related to him being a police officer (and an arduous undercover cop at that), and this episode displays when his conscious mind can no longer suppress the rising tumultuous feelings of despondency, self-loathing, and growing cynicism for the law (which he was once a proud, straight-laced cop in abiding) that he had devoted his life toward. 

It appears that his subconscious mind had been building up resentment against what he stood for, when as the series progressed, more and more seemed to be taken away from him, due to his commitment in simply being an undercover police officer.  From that, it's understandable to see how Crockett was able to assume the Burnett cover when his head injury complicated an already fragile Crockett.  For me, it could have added another layer of psychological depth if the episode added a small conversation between the doctor and now "Burnett", as to get a glimpse of how Crockett was able to so easily assume Burnett's identity (from a moral standpoint) with all of his assumed cruelity despite reinforcement from others saying that he was Burnett.

With Crockett now as Burnett, we begin to see how his skillful adaptability and shrewdness qualities that were used while being a police officer, now being used within the devious criminal underworld and it elevates the series to a new level of intrigue and energy with each new development and cutthroat betrayal, with Gutierrez and Hagovitch being now portrayed as mere small speedbumps along Burnett's unrelenting path.

...Yet the destination of that path is the cliffhanger of this episode and season, as it becomes increasingly uncertain with Burnett's haunting dream, Tubbs attempting to understand Crockett's wild change of behavior, and Burnett fleeing the scene at the end. 

The imagery throughout the episode was striking with the use of the dream sequence, Burnett seeing his own reflection as a parallel toward the episode "Shadow In The Dark" (when Crockett was struggling in not trying to lose his identity), Burnett's style of clothes (using darker colors and black to reflect his darkened character), his body language (more constricted and antsy in signifying his uneasy subconscious state), the confrontation between Tubbs and Burnett on the alley (the hazy surroundings and the music used), the brutality in driver's side window being blown out (to demonstrate just how cruel Burnett was, in being able to kill the man without any qualms who had rescued him from death just a few days earlier), and other scenes as well.  From the camera angles, scenery used, and the focus on facial expressions on Crockett and Tubbs, I wonder if Michael Mann may have closely monitored this episode and "Deliver Us From Evil", which would explain the great cinematography quality in both episodes.  In both of these episodes, the characters (specifically Crockett) and their experiences are focused on rather than the crime and politics itself as seen more with Dick Wolf's style.

A well deserved acclaimed episode for the season 4 finale, and for the series as a whole.  One of the best episodes of the series!

Definitley one of the best endings to an episode in the series.Part of wonders how fans would've taken it, had this actually been the series finale?If MV wasn't renewed for a 5th and final season.Any thoughts?9/10

If the show canceled here, it would have been too cruel of ending for fans since it would be the ultimate lack of resolution in not knowing if Crockett would ever remember who he truly was, how far he would ascend or descend within the drug underworld, and if anyone in OCB would eventually get caught or even killed in the crossfire besides just Tubbs.

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 2

I think I would have been okay with the show ending with season 4 with a cliff hanger. It might have been pretty cool to see Crockett become the thing he fought against throughout the show as he drives his boat off into uncertainty with Tubbs shouting to him from the balcony. Season 4 was starting to get silly quality wise and it would saved the show and us from watching a lot of bad episodes in S5 if it didn't exist. I think at that point everyone was like "Alright we might as well do another season just so have enough eps so it can get syndicated."

But then again we would have missed out on two great episodes Hostile Take-over and Redemption in Blood. So I don't know.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 30.06.2013 at 9:24 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Awesome intro with Crockett still trying to deal with Caitlin's death, and then the boat explosion...hence the beginning of Crockett's twisted decent into amnesia, deception, murder, chaos, etc... It was tragic, but captivating at the same time!The "dark" and gritty aspects of the show were really showcased here, as well as the bizarre and shocking. Typically I don't like storylines where the main stars are on the run from police, or accused of the murder, or sad or tragic plots. But, this episode is mesmerizing and the plot totally out of left field. I actually really love this episode! Don is an amazing actor and I love the drastic but deadly changes from Crockett to Burnett...yet Burnett still has some of Crockett's personality traits, without Burnett realizing it. Very well done! Also...one of my favorite aspects to this whole episode is Julia Roberts...she was so beautiful throughout this whole thing! Oh yeah, baby!! :happy:The guest star power in this was pretty cool...with Julia as Polly Wheeler, Chris Cooper as Yagovitch, and Antonio Fargas as Alejandro Gutierrez! Tony Azito as Manolo was awesome too. Camille Sands as Doris Gumble cracked me up...what the heck was she/he (not sure which one) about? :)The plot of all these mob / gangsters / drug dealers caught up in trying to take each other over was cool, and was kind of disturbing but yet "fun" to just watch these psychos kill each other off. :rolleyes: But...hey, Julia Roberts was in this! :happy:The fashion and colors, mainly with Crockett's suits, were superb with the pastels and again reminiscent of the first couple seasons! The lighting in several scenes was really bizarre and awesome too! :glossy: The filming locations, mansions, pools used were breathtaking, and again the famous Pink House was showcased...this time as Polly's gallery, and it's always bizarre but captivating! Love it! :clap: Did I mention Julia Roberts was in this? :happy:The music is wonderful as we really get to enjoy Jan Hammer's superb themes again, sadly though for the last time. :cry: Other cool songs included were Money God by Big Pig, Alpha Centauri by Tangerine Dream, and Bed Bugs & Ballyhoo by Echo and the Bunnymen. :radio:The only real problem I have with this episode (and I hate to say this because I like him just as much as Don) was Philip Michael Thomas' performance. However, for all I know PMT did exactly what the director told him to do. But, it just seemed to me he didn't have much reaction when they thought Sonny was dead...he just sort of read the lines and either had hardly any emotion at all, or went a little overboard with "faky" emotion. :rolleyes: Not sure what was up with that, but it didn't mesh very well and it kind of bothered me. :confused: The scenes with him and his Ft. Lauderdale cop friend also seemed "forced" and not very convincing. I did, however, enjoy the one scene between Rico and Castillo...where they both finally agree that Tubbs needs to go and find out what really happened. :clap:But, the scene where Sonny just "blows" Rico away was wild...very disturbing, but again shockingly captivating! :eek: I love Crockett's/Burnett's demented, bizarre dream on the beach right after that...the lighting and fashion used were awesome and helped make it seriously creepy! :thumbsup: Have I stated that Julia Roberts was in this yet? :happy:The ending was really a shocker and leaves you completely hanging...and a definite indication that there would be a 5th season. However, the 5th would be the final one. :cry:Overall another Season 4 gem and I love it! I rated it a 9 (only reason I didn't go all-out with a 10 was again because of Tubbs' "strange" nonchalant-like performance with Crockett's supposed death at the beginning)! :thumbsup:Oh yeah...by the way, Julia Roberts was in this!! :happy::glossy:

IMHO,  rather it was too hard for Rico to beliave in Sonny`s death and his reaction looks like a quiet hysterics, so even Gina and Castillo try to sooth him. Gina(in despare and hopeless)-"Rico.." Castillo "You couldn`t help". 

Edited by Maria
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

What do you say? Best episode of season 4.  10/10 

amazing really in  a season that was so lacking direction this one came out of nowhere. It's kind of bittersweet to me to watch it because it's the last use of Jan Hammer's music within an episode, and some classic tunes return.

There were a lot of chilling moments in MV , but the ending with Rico screaming "Sonny!" always does it for me. I remember watching it at the time and it was a shocking end to a season.

• Like 2

An amazing episode ! Hard to believe this was in the same Season as "Missing Hours"!:D  . Great direction and music with a nice set of locations also .10/10

• Like 1

Good one Matt! :) Yeh missing hours was a peach..............................

I also feel Mirror Image was great! The storyline and action were fabulous and well written. The dichotomy of Burnett vs Crockett was a great storyline. It really brought home the fact that good and evil are such opposing forces both in life and in conscience.

I liked the whole trilogy in fact and watch the three episodes together when I binge watch MV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stinger390X said:

Good one Matt! :) Yeh missing hours was a peach..............................

I also feel Mirror Image was great! The storyline and action were fabulous and well written. The dichotomy of Burnett vs Crockett was a great storyline. It really brought home the fact that good and evil are such opposing forces both in life and in conscience.

I liked the whole trilogy in fact and watch the three episodes together when I binge watch MV.

Good points - although the trilogy was obviously devised to raise ratings which were falling sharply by 1988 . I loved the episodes.!!

• 3 months later...

as i'm going through the whole series again i watched it yet again yesterday. Dang i feel sad. Hammer's music is so good and i know i'm about to watch season 5 without it.

Every time i watch it i vaguely remember seeing it in 1988, seeing Sonny murder the dealers and how shocking that was, and the cliffhanger ending. Darn i'm repeating myself but i love it, and so much is Hammer