Hostile Takeover

miamijimf

Watching Hostile Takeover the other day. I have always liked this episode. DJ is really convincing as a bad guy but the ep does not seem to have many new locations. The exception is Carrera's beautiful mansion, not the largest but one of the best. These screen caps show the view of the Bay from the house and the back of the house.[ATTACH=CONFIG]6877[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6874[/ATTACH]I remembered that airtommy found the house using Google Earth years ago so he should get the credit. He was really good at finding homes on the water and this web sites episode guide says it was on the south end of Brickell so it was easy for me to find. This is a Bing Maps satellite shot. [ATTACH=CONFIG]6878[/ATTACH]The address is 3029 Brickell Ave, Coconut Grove.[ATTACH=CONFIG]6879[/ATTACH]Two other locations are well known, El Cato in the limo on Rickenbacker Causeway and, of course, the Cape Florida Lighthouse in the final scenes. I'm sure there are one or two more that can be found. For example, where is Celeste's party in the teaser? Maybe it qualifies as a cold case?

I was watching Hostile Takeover last night. The 'Sonny Burnett' arc is really under rated. These are excellent, tightly woven episodes. I understand how and why seasons 1-3 get the greater glory, but those who check out of Vice for the fifth seaon (and end of Seaon 4) missed some great stuff.One of the things I love about Vice is how certain things grow on me over the years or I 'discover' something I hadn't noticed before. In Hostile Takeover, I have a new found love for the scene where Burnett dances poolside to "Walks With Angels" or whatever that song is. Very nice, mellow pacing in that scene. You'd never see that done in tv today, except maybe in Mad Men. It's all fast paced now. So much so that some moments, like this one, get lost.(Sorry to go off the track of the point of your thread, but it was a good excuse to talk about my appreciation for Hostile Takeover!).

• Like 1

6877[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6874[/ATTACH]I remembered that airtommy found the house using Google Earth years ago so he should get the credit. He was really good at finding homes on the water and this web sites episode guide says it was on the south end of Brickell so it was easy for me to find. This is a Bing Maps satellite shot. [ATTACH=CONFIG]6878[/ATTACH]The address is 3029 Brickell Ave, Coconut Grove.[ATTACH=CONFIG]6879[/ATTACH]Two other locations are well known, El Cato in the limo on Rickenbacker Causeway and, of course, the Cape Florida Lighthouse in the final scenes. I'm sure there are one or two more that can be found. For example, where is Celeste's party in the teaser? Maybe it qualifies as a cold case?

Great episode - I wonder about the party and the rooftop Burnett was on - the parking is unique and there is a background building.The explosion seen in "Redemption in Blood " looks like the boat warehouses of Coconut Grove where they shot the teaser to "Down for the Count":D

I was watching Hostile Takeover last night. The 'Sonny Burnett' arc is really under rated. These are excellent' date=' tightly woven episodes. I understand how and why seasons 1-3 get the greater glory, but those who check out of Vice for the fifth seaon (and end of Seaon 4) missed some great stuff.One of the things I love about Vice is how certain things grow on me over the years or I 'discover' something I hadn't noticed before. In Hostile Takeover, I have a new found love for the scene where Burnett dances poolside to "Walks With Angels" or whatever that song is. Very nice, mellow pacing in that scene. You'd never see that done in tv today, except maybe in Mad Men. It's all fast paced now. So much so that some moments, like this one, get lost.(Sorry to go off the track of the point of your thread, but it was a good excuse to talk about my appreciation for Hostile Takeover!).[/quote']That's OK Charlie, agree 100%. There are some real gems in the last two seasons (acting and location wise) and this is one of them.Ya Matt, did you notice the blurry neon sign in the party scene? It looks familiar.

This home at 3029 was formerly the home of the drugged up idiot formerly known as Madonna. We have seen it in the bg of 2 Fast 2 Furious and the home of a weapons wholesaler in the Burn Notice episodes 19, Rough Seas, 24 Seek and Destroy, and 67 Square One. We get to see this home very well as it looks today in these three Burn Notice episodes and it is worth a look.

That's OK Charlie' date=' agree 100%. There are some real gems in the last two seasons (acting and location wise) and this is one of them.Ya Matt, did you notice the blurry neon sign in the party scene? It looks familiar.[/quote']No I didnt I will check it out Jim :thumbsup::D

Great episode - I wonder about the party and the rooftop Burnett was on - the parking is unique and there is a background building.The explosion seen in "Redemption in Blood " looks like the boat warehouses of Coconut Grove where they shot the teaser to "Down for the Count":D

The interior of the party teaser somehow reminds me of the Park Central that was used in the teaser of Asian Cut.And you are fully right, the boxing gym and the explosion in Redemption in blood were shot at the former WWII hangar at S. bayshore drive, Coconut Grove that was also used in Down for the count and Milk run.The silos used in the final shooting were Crockett saves Tubbs were shot at the same silos used in Childs Play (NE 21 Ave/NE161 Street)many scenes were shot in Virginia Key, eg King with Salazar.

C Glide- do mean it was the home of the female rocker Madonna, who sang "Like a Virgin", and all that? This is a serious question, I'm not up on popular music.

C Glide- do mean it was the home of the female rocker Madonna' date=' who sang "Like a Virgin", and all that? This is a serious question, I'm not up on popular music.[/quote']Yes that is her and this was her house.

The interior of the party teaser somehow reminds me of the Park Central that was used in the teaser of Asian Cut.And you are fully right' date=' the boxing gym and the explosion in Redemption in blood were shot at the former WWII hangar at S. bayshore drive, Coconut Grove that was also used in Down for the count and Milk run.The silos used in the final shooting were Crockett saves Tubbs were shot at the same silos used in Childs Play (NE 21 Ave/NE161 Street)many scenes were shot in Virginia Key, eg King with Salazar.[/quote']Oh great though so on Bayshore Drive the furthest hangar Do you think they used the water ( back ) entrance or front for the explosion in "Redemption in Blood" :D

Oh great though so on Bayshore Drive the furthest hangar Do you think they used the water ( back ) entrance or front for the explosion in "Redemption in Blood" :D

Yes it was the back entrance ( water ) :D

Tom was right when he wrote that Celeste's party place in Hostile Takeover reminded him of the club in the Asian Cut teaser. The light fixtures match.Here is a screen cap from Celeste's party place:[ATTACH=CONFIG]6909[/ATTACH]And one from the Asian Cut teaser:[ATTACH=CONFIG]6910[/ATTACH]Can you confirm both were at the Park Central Hotel? It has been restored since the 80s and I can't match its pictures. It is close to where Trudy walked.

post-16-13892964910675_thumb.jpg

post-16-13892964910909_thumb.jpg

Tom was right when he wrote that Celeste's party place in Hostile Takeover reminded him of the club in the Asian Cut teaser. The light fixtures match.Here is a screen cap from Celeste's party place:[ATTACH=CONFIG]6909[/ATTACH]And one from the Asian Cut teaser:[ATTACH=CONFIG]6910[/ATTACH]Can you confirm both were at the Park Central Hotel? It has been restored since the 80s and I can't match its pictures. It is close to where Trudy walked.

not just the lights, also the elevated areas with the stairs match. At first sight, the location of Celeste´s party looks much spacier than the on in the Asian Cut teaser, but this is due to camera angles. I am fully convinced that both locations are the same. You can also look at the scenes from "The Savage" that were shot at the Park Central. There you see better and spacier angles with some daylight scenes as well.

Yes it was the back entrance ( water ) :D

yep, for the scenes where Crockett watches the boxing match, they opened the hangar. The camera is positioned on the east/southeast side of the complex and then Crockett approaches his limo that is parked on the lot next to the water. This is the same parking lot that C&T&Zito used in the teaser of Down for the count, but they used the south-west corner of the lot.I watched this scene a few weeks ago and immediately recognized it. Plus I wondered why it took me so long as the matches with Down for the count and Milk run are obvious. C Glide has done a terrific detailed scrutiny of both eps on his locations website where he showed how they adapted the hangar for filming.

not just the lights' date=' also the elevated areas with the stairs match. At first sight, the location of Celeste´s party looks much spacier than the on in the Asian Cut teaser, but this is due to camera angles. I am fully convinced that both locations are the same. You can also look at the scenes from "The Savage" that were shot at the Park Central. There you see better and spacier angles with some daylight scenes as well.[/quote']The color of the tiles seem to match too - is that the Park Central as the exterior ? with cars parked outside didnt recognise that :D

The color of the tiles seem to match too - is that the Park Central as the exterior ? with cars parked outside didnt recognise that :D

no, I doubt that, Park central is on Ocean Drive and the pedestrian walk and the jay-parked cars do not match with Ocean Drive in front of the Park Central. That short scene with the cars parked and the metal detector on the party guests misled me in the first place. That´s way I thought of a different location. But then I realized that the short exterior scene was not shot at the same place.

no' date=' I doubt that, Park central is on Ocean Drive and the pedestrian walk and the jay-parked cars do not match with Ocean Drive in front of the Park Central. That short scene with the cars parked and the metal detector on the party guests misled me in the first place. That´s way I thought of a different location. But then I realized that the short exterior scene was not shot at the same place.[/quote']Yes exactly - the Jay - parked cars and the b/g must be findable too - I wonder if this is where we saw Burnett on the roof too :D

not just the lights' date=' also the elevated areas with the stairs match. At first sight, the location of Celeste´s party looks much spacier than the on in the Asian Cut teaser, but this is due to camera angles. I am fully convinced that both locations are the same. You can also look at the scenes from "The Savage" that were shot at the Park Central. There you see better and spacier angles with some daylight scenes as well.[/quote']Do not forget Death and The Lady which also filmed at the Park Central. The Art Studio/School scene gives us a good look at the lobby area as well as viewed from above (balcony).

• 5 months later...

The teaser is interesting - we know already the interior was filmed at the Park Central Hotel on Ocean Drive. The rooftop scene with 'Burnett ' and Carrera looks like it was filmed in Downtown as you can see the white- lit BOA tower in b/g . The angle looks like , with the peaked rooftops in the b/g, like Bayside . :DSee below http://binged.it/11FoKi9

Nice photo' date=' did you take it on your recent trip?[/quote']Thanks Jim yes - what did you think of my theory on the roof scene being Bayside as BOA tower is seen in b/g.:D

It's possible but indeterminate. I looked at it on Google Earth with the timeline back as far as it will go- 1994 to see if there was a clear line of sight. Not sure the tall lighted highrise in the background is the BOA Bldg. If they were at Bayside I think the tall lighted highrise in the background might be the SE Trust at SE 1st St and 3d Ave that they would see first. The key to finding where they are is probably the fuzzy neon sign behind Sonny. Screen cap below. It looks familiar.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7811[/ATTACH]

post-16-13892965521983_thumb.jpg