Season Two Universal DVD Set problems

agent 47

I have Had the ssn 2 dvd set since it first came out and every since then when I would reach near the end of the episode called Buddies (the car chase scene sadly) the episode would freeze and take me back to the menu. I know that it's the disc because I have just got a new DVD player for Christmas and it does it on my Playstation 2 as well. I am posting this to ask if any of you out there have or had the same or similar trouble on the same episode or disc.

Edited by agent 47
Made it more readable.

• Administrators

Yep!!!A lot of us have complained of the season 1 & 2 DVDs having problems. Seems the front and back disks, well, suck! :evil:I can't watch "Brother's Keeper" all the way though on mine. :evil:I feel your pain and you are not alone. Sorry. :cry:

• Administrators

I remember tons of complaints with the double sided discs. Most likely why seasons 3-5 were back to single sided. I would try contacting universal home video to see about a disc exchange.

I remember tons of complaints with the double sided discs. Most likely why seasons 3-5 were back to single sided. I would try contacting universal home video to see about a disc exchange.

Lou, do you know if Universal did offer anyone a replacement disc to replace an unusable disc? As time goes by, I've having more episodes that are useless.

I had the same problem with the season 1 and 2 discs. Despite how I baby them, one of them developed a big crack on one side of the disc!I recently bought myself the MV Complete Series boxed set (on sale at BestBuy.com for $105), so it will be nice to have single sided discs for seasons 1 and 2 now! Lets hope there aren't any problems with those.

• 1 month later...

It seems everyone's having problems with their copies. That totally sucks, and Universal have done this with other shows such as The A-Team and Knight Rider.

• Administrators

I believe that seasons 1 & 2 have now gone to single sided discs which hopefully solved the problems.

Well, I have had my season one single sided disc box set for quite a while now, been watcing it a lot and haven't had a single problem, but does anybody know if season two has been rereleased yet as a single disc set yet?

• 3 weeks later...

I only had a slight problem with sticking on the final disc of Season 2 ( double sided original discs ) in the episode "Sons and Lovers" - it sticks but if you stop and play again its okay. Im going to get one of the "Complete Collections" anyway as the Season 1 and 2 are single sided in that set :)

Heck,on mine, the DVD stops on The Prodigal Son where Crockett shoots down the helicopter, just as it blows, it freezes. I have the episode on video though.

• 6 years later...

Just jumping in here, Pals. Major issues with the double-sided season one DVD set. I am meticulously careful with all my various forms of media, (big vinyl record collector here), and after a few years my set remains in pristine condition with no scratches or fingerprints. Now, after multiple great viewings,  suddenly entire chapters of episodes will not play! Last night I settled in for another grand viewing of the perfect "Evan" episode and the first two chapters will not work, frozen and stuttering frames. The same is occurring with random other episodes. Anyone else have this happen? I'm considering a simple purchase of a new set, but fear it might just happen again. 

Have you tried a CD/DVD cleaning kit?  I have one made by Scotch that contains a little spray bottle and a compartment for the disc that rotates it around and cleans it.  It must be at least 10 yrs old but still worked and fixed problems most of the time when I was using my old computer.  I'll bet they still sell this type of kit.  When I bought a new computer all my problems went away.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

Have you tried a CD/DVD cleaning kit?  I have one made by Scotch that contains a little spray bottle and a compartment for the disc that rotates it around and cleans it.  It must be at least 10 yrs old but still works and fixes problems most of the time.  I'll bet they still sell this type of kit.

Great advice, much appreciated. I've seen those cleaners. I've  utilized manual methods for cleaning other DVD's. CD's, vinyl, etc with great success over the years. The thing is, my season one discs look like perfection on the surface. Perhaps I've just worn them out!

Luckily I never had problems with the double-layered double-sided discs. But I talked to tvshowsondvd.com when people reported problems. and I had to find Universal's contact info to send them Dune (had two of them bad right off the bat) the Munsters, and buck rogers certain discs they replaced. I returned the Blue Bros to a used record store because it didn't' work at all. the culprit was a factory in Mexico and the glue they were using as far as I can remember. Universal got enough returns, replacements and complaints that they started using a different factory and that's when you saw later releases single sided double-layered fwiw.

Edited by Miami Vice 1984
  • Like 1

Just jumping in here, Pals. Major issues with the double-sided season one DVD set. I am meticulously careful with all my various forms of media, (big vinyl record collector here), and after a few years my set remains in pristine condition with no scratches or fingerprints. Now, after multiple great viewings,  suddenly entire chapters of episodes will not play! Last night I settled in for another grand viewing of the perfect "Evan" episode and the first two chapters will not work, frozen and stuttering frames. The same is occurring with random other episodes. Anyone else have this happen? I'm considering a simple purchase of a new set, but fear it might just happen again. 

I did some reasearch a while back and found this was in issue not just with Miami Vice but the majority of the double-sided disc sets from Universal. Even though the sets they were putting out were sets which would definitely made their money back if they did the sets properly instead of dual-layered discs they used cheap DVD-18s (double-sided discs) which are single-layered so they don't have the right amount of space to properly hold up a huge amount of data like cramming multiple episodes or films onto either side like they did with Miami Vice. Besides the obvious playback issues which could arise with usage the compression has become a bit more apparent after the move into HDTV age compared to the dual-layered single sided sets which hold up pretty well when upscaled to HD.

• Like 1