Episode #89 "Deliver Us From Evil"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...

One of the best episodes from the entire series. It's pretty sad that other eps. from s4, lacked the same style, action, drama like in this one. Classic MV style returns (season 1 and 2) plus with more darker tone (season3). Awesome Mix. It makes me wonder "why couldn't they produce more eps like this in s4." Why, why, why?10 out of 10

Guest neworder

Nice to see the producers had a wake up call and realised they needed to do something special with both the Season 4 finale and Season 5 premier unlike the abysmal S3 finale and good but boring S4 premier. This episode marks the start of easily the best 4 in a row Miami Vice episodes and in a way I believe this 2 part finale set up paved the way for future TV shows, particularly 24 whereby you have a season cliffhanger leaving the audience gasping for more next season. This episode is very good. Finally the torture of sitting through Caitlin episodes is paid off with her getting shot. The scenes after she is shot are particularly strong but I believe the the first half is a little slower in pace. In addition her singing went on a little too long and I didn't really feel much tension. Overall though, very decent and get's a 9/10I watched this and the Burnett trilogy last night, reminded me why I like Miami Vice so much, such a good bunch of episodes that stand the test of time extremely well. This storyline really wouldn't be out of place in the most popular TV shows of today. In fact the end of S4 of CSI Miami and the start of S5 mirror the Vice set up slightly: both the main characters wives are shot, both kill the murderer in cold blood and both partake in illegal activities, granted Horatio was more vigilante than Scarface style pysco thereby making the CSI story worse. Nevertheless the general storyline at the end of Season 4 for CSI Miami is extremely similar to Miami Vice minus the concussion. Ironic that the worst Season of Miami Vice also has the best finale ...

Posted: February 06 2008 A lot of people are saying that they are glad Caitlin is dead. In this episode, she was quite bearable, as opposed to "Love at First Sight", where she was constantly nagging Sonny. She looked pretty & I thought she sang well, although the songs could have been better. The last song mentioned dying which was a good choice. I don't mind Caitlin in small doses. I liked Crockett's pastel green shirt & white suit, also Rico's blue tie. I felt Crockett's pain as he went on a Jack Daniels binge for 3 weeks after his wife was shot in the back & fell in his arms. Finding out she was pregnant, really hurt him. The final scene: I believe Crockett went to the island to kill Hackman in cold blood but Hackman being true to form, had a gun under his book & Crockett wound up with a clean shoot! I loved this episode & rate it 9.5 I rate it a 9 for this poll.

I'm watching this ep.right now.Recalled it when it first aired...i was much younger...remember myself and my friends being well,happy that Caitlin died.Can't say my feelings have changed much since then.I gave a firm 7 because you can totally feel Crocketts pain.And how bad did Tubbs feel that he was unable to get to them in time..The end was by far ,absolutely the most shocking thing .if you put yourself in Crocketts shoes,who's to say i woulden't do the same thing!

I have very mixed feelings about this ep.On the one hand I would have liked it better if they played out Caitlins death more then they did now. But on the other hand the scene on the boat were Crockets is drinking and mourns is to me one of the best scene of MV in the acting part. The helplessness of Tubbs, the emotions of Crocket and how the emotions speaks out of in his entire body and fase :thumbsup:And then the ending scene; The look on Crocket's face The emotions in his eyes; emptines, sadness, revenge.A 8 from me

I have very mixed feelings about this ep.On the one hand I would have liked it better if they played out Caitlins death more then they did now. But on the other hand the scene on the boat were Crockets is drinking and mourns is to me one of the best scene of MV in the acting part. The helplessness of Tubbs' date=' the emotions of Crocket and how the emotions speaks out of in his entire body and fase :thumbsup:And then the ending scene; The look on Crocket's face The emotions in his eyes; emptines, sadness, revenge.A 8 from me[/quote']Don Johnson was excellent in those scenes.Especially when Crockett killed Hackman, one minute he was reveling in getting revenge. Then the quick realization that it won't bring back Caitlin and his unborn child. The way Sonny turns and walks off is heartbreaking, Sheena's song playing in the background made the end scene even more tragic.To this day, I can't recall another actor who has shot a gun w/o blinking like Johnson did.

Guest neworder
Don Johnson was excellent in those scenes.To this day' date=' I can't recall another actor who has shot a gun w/o blinking like Johnson did.[/quote']I'm pretty sure Kiefer Sutherland managed it in 24 at some point.

I personally thought this was a good episode, no more no less, a great ending as many have said and you can see this as sort of a precursor to when he loses his memory in the next episode, he can be ruthless when he chooses to be, a side to Crockett little to not seen before.I give it an 8.

Yay! Caitlin gets iced! Thank you Frank Hackman!This episode starts very well. We're reminded of what a great episode Forgive Us Our Debts was and what a scumbag Hackman is when he murders the family in cold blood. Good to see how Sonny made a full recovery after getting shot the week before. This is a strong episode and quite a good follow-up to Forgive Us Our Debts but one big downside it has is we have to listen to Sheena Easton singing. It's horrible. I don't blame Hackman for killing her. If I was there I'd have done just the same. And Izzy's presence is unwelcome, as always.The scenes with Sonny in mourning are excellent and very well accompanied by Jan's track 'The Talk'. It's good he didn't grieve for too long. It's not like with Zito in Down For The Count. The audience isn't going to miss Caitlin. I love the final scene. It's the stuff of Vice legend. Sonny shooting Hackman. Whoa. Truly shocking. Even the strictly righteous Crockett has his limits. It's a breathtakingly beautiful scene filmed at Barnacle State Park in Coconut Grove with the clear blue sky. Gorgeous. Too bad about the use of the Sheena Easton song though. It was a bad choice of song for the sequence.Overall I give this 8.5/10 We're back in the realm of the fantastic with next week's episode

• 3 months later...

I love the final scene. It's the stuff of Vice legend. Sonny shooting Hackman. Whoa. Truly shocking. Even the strictly righteous Crockett has his limits. It's a breathtakingly beautiful scene filmed at Barnacle State Park in Coconut Grove with the clear blue sky. Gorgeous. Too bad about the use of the Sheena Easton song though. It was a bad choice of song for the sequence.

It looks like Hackman was hiding a gun behind the book. You see it when he is laying dead in his chair. I think Sonny knew he was packing.J.

• 3 months later...

Wow, my jaw dropped to the ground at the end! Did not expect that at all, especially because I didnt think hackman had a gun. Sonny face was just wild..so much rage, desparation, sadness.. I wonder if he went there with the intention to kill him or if he decided that right then and there after he realized he wasn't gonna get legal justice. Well, I just noticed I'm not the only one who's glad that Caitlin is gone! Her death scene could have been more dramatic but I'm glad they didn't do that. And it was really enough to see Sonny suffer. I really liked to color of the sky: the first time Tubbs came by it was a deep dark red and the second time it was a doomy greyish blue. It really fit the mood! The song Caitlin was singing was very fitting but it was just wayyy tooo looong. Well, glad she's gone !I think I have to watch this again tonite, cant recall everything right now. But it's a definite 10 for me! got a question, I havent watched the next ep and I dont know if I should because, isnt that a 2 part episode? I dont have S5 yet and I dont want to watch eps 90 and then have to wait for weeks to be able to watch the next one. what should I do?

• 4 months later...

It's all been said and I can't add much more. I love the look Sonny has in his eyes when he shoots.Overall the episode is excellent however I have one question...Hackmen is now dead...Why did they put the "To be Continued" at the end of the show???????Is this for the downfall of Sonny and the Burnett triology? I never did understand a hundred percent.

It's all been said and I can't add nuch more. I love the look Sonny has in his eyes when he shoots.Overall the episode is excellent however I have one question...Hackmen is now dead...Why did they put the "To be Continued" at the end of the show???????Is this for the downfall of Sonny and the Burnett triology? I never did understand a hundred percent.

To increase the ratings?

Well it was a rainy blah day today, so I broke out the dvd's and watched the Hackman series and the Burnett saga all at once in order.Seems the "to be continued" was true to my hunch that Sonny was definitely burning out. The theme was common through all five episodes which as you fans know came to a head in "Freefall"my two cents anyway....very entertaining. We need more rainy days so I can curl up with the dvd's again. I had a great day! Hope you all did too.......

Seems the "to be continued" was true to my hunch that Sonny was definitely burning out. The theme was common through all five episodes which as you fans know came to a head in "Freefall"

Yes, even though Sonny killed Hackman, the story doesn't end there. Crockett's problems are only just beginning, starting with his memory loss in the following "Mirror Image."Come to think of it, they should have placed a "To Be Continued" tag at the end of that episode, too, since it was a cliffhanger into Season 5.

• 8 months later...

Best episode of Season 4. Although I did jump for joy when she was shot. Terrible character. Hackman is one of the best villians in MV, along with Calderone. Loved the ending although I wish they hasn't felt the need to show the gun in Hackman's hand after Sonny shoots him. Makes it much less cold blooded. 8.5/10

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Enjoyable.Some very funny bits to me were the sign in izzy's jewellery shop-everything in the sign is lit up except"recycled" referring to the jewellery lol and when Tubbs and Crockett burst in to the hideout near start=the main guy is scooping his valuables before fleeing-he is clutching a vinyl lp for dear life lol!!!Some very powerful scenes for me-felt Sonny's pain as he is drinking to deal with the pain-Rico was a stronger man than me to tell sonny"that was the ME,,ugh Caitlan was 7 weeks pregnant"HEARTBREAKING!Didn't quite sit right with me the way Sonny returned-just sauntering back into the office-with the trademark smirk-but hey who am i to question it-everyone deals with and recovers from grief differently.An 8 from me.