Did anyone else actually like this movie?

Vincent Hanna

There seems to be this universal hate among Vice fans.I'll be honest and say I saw the film before the TV show, so that's maybe why I'm a little more receptive to the film.Alright it might not be the best film ever made and hell, It's probably the weakest Michael Mann effort, but I still find it enjoyable nevertheless. It's grown on me, the more i watch it.I understand the criticism that majority of it is nothing like the show. But at it's core, If the concept of Miami Vice was the style, the music, the energy, etc. I think the film succeeds in being like the tv show, albeit it does so in a different and more modern way. I think it's fair to say its one of the best looking digitally shot films out there. The music is a little hit and miss but Audioslave's "Shape of the things to come" and Mogwai's "Auto rock" are used to devastating affect. I might be even so brash to call the film under-rated. So what do you guys think? I guess some of the older fans will resent me even saying this.:) but does anyone else agree?

• Like 1

I assume you are posting about the Miami Vice movie. To me it was terrible.Colin Farrell was Mr. Mumbles & you couldn't understand Gong Li at all.As Don Johnson said, "It's not Miami Vice." :thumbsdown::eek:

• Like 1

There seems to be this universal hate among Vice fans.I'll be honest and say I saw the film before the TV show' date=' so that's maybe why I'm a little more receptive to the film.Alright it might not be the best film ever made and hell, It's probably the weakest Michael Mann effort, but I still find it enjoyable nevertheless. It's grown on me, the more i watch it.I understand the criticism that majority of it is nothing like the show. But at it's core, If the concept of Miami Vice was the style, the music, the energy, etc. I think the film succeeds in being like the tv show, albeit it does so in a different and more modern way. I think it's fair to say its one of the best looking digitally shot films out there. The music is a little hit and miss but Audioslave's "Shape of the things to come" and Mogwai's "Auto rock" are used to devastating affect. I might be even so brash to call the film under-rated. So what do you guys think? I guess some of the older fans will resent me even saying this.:) but does anyone else agree?[/quote']at best in my opinion it was an okay film but I just felt that the visuals and the buddy cop aspects of it needed to be flushed out.the whole thing felt like a rush job and it showed. Also from the sound of it the only reason why he did it is because Jamie Foxx wanted to do it after collateral. Not because Mann wanted to revist the show that put him on the map for the mainstream audiences.and then he, Foxx lost interest midway through production and just figured screw it, hence why the film unravels towards the end like it did.Ironically I came across vice because they were showing the pilot as a promo for the film on NBC at about 8pm with some banter between Foxx and Colin. its also kind of funny that it looked like they had more fun doing the promo than the film.hell some basic tweaking of the story to flesh out everyone, loose the bad facial hair, switch around the firearms and the ride for a midnight black or Nero Metalic (the original color for the TR) painted F355 spyder and well they probably would have made about 2 or 3 more films by now.that and getting someone else to play castilo

I'm not a big fan of Jamie foxx, He comes across as a douche but I thought Farrell made a good Crockett. Obviously he's no match to Don, but he's still cool.

I don't think anyone here will resent you for liking something. It's your personal opinion.I saw bits and pieces of it, and didn't care for it. I will never watch it. That's just me.Michael Talbott (switek) said during the French Twist Reunion in April 2011 that the film "sucks". He stated it several times. He even states he told this to Michael Mann himself! Saundra Santiago said she watched it for a little while, but just couldn't watch the rest. She didn't like it.Your view will be different from the majority of members here, because, unlike you, we saw five years of the show first, where you saw the movie first. We just can't separate the fact that DJ & PMT are Crockett and Tubbs. I can do it with James Bond, ..but not Miami Vice.There's nothing wrong with enjoying the movie.

I didn't dis-like the movie, but didn't love it. I knew going in that 'our' Vice would never be duplicated so I tried to watch the movie as a Michael Mann film rather then a comparison to the Miami Vice series.There were a few cool scenes, such as the camera set-up INSIDE the SUV from behind the characters as they get shot up. Interesting perspective.I also liked that the story stole a few ideas from the series, so that was cool. But ultimately, it fell flat. I thought Mann was working too hard to show that the success of Miami Vice wasn't because of it being a product of the '80s, so he sort of out-cooled himself instead of just telling the g-damn story!In fact, the success of the original Miami Vice will never be duplicated. It is such a perfect concoction of time, place, style, story, character, dialogue, music, direction, production...on and on. Good luck on making that work again!

• Like 1

Bad: Look out! It's a bunch of white supremacists! :rolleyes: Yeah, o.k., that's whose behind eeeevverything. They, or the IRA. Who was in a rush to pick the bad guy?Good: By the third time it grew on me. Stylistically, it was VERY good. Soundtrack was o.k. but not superb. I own it, it sounds like Moby sampling old spirituals times eleventy, and some Latin fusion, then more Moby - eh. Bad: The s_x was a bit over the top for me, but I guess I was duly warned by the R rating. The "just kidding" part was disgusting.Good:Thought the Castillo casting was good. Gong Li was pretty hot. Ferrell is o.k., I guess. Both he and - but especially Jamie Foxx have prima donna issues. Whiners. Give me a _ break. But if it was Foxx's impetus to do the movie, I guess he gets credit.The mystifying part for me was the reaction from fans. For years, Vicers were all: GIMME MOVIE GIMME, then this came out and everybody _____ on it.

If i were to review it as a film in it's own right-i thought it was an ok thriller-nothing special,but i wouldnt say it sucked-but if it is being reviewed as a mv film-which was the intention of the film-to evoke the spirit of the show or whatever-it was garbage-seriously.I loved the spyder ferrari-that was it.....

I dont blame the casting. In fact, I remember Don saying himself, way before the filming, that Colin was the right choice. Colin is a good actor and Foxx, although I am not a fan, was a decent choice, although I would have preferred Denzel more.However, I didnt like the movie, not even with the series in mind. i tried to be objective as possible, but despite that, I had trouble getting into the movie. A big dissapointment, if you compare it with other MM movies such as Heat or Thief or Collateral. That the movie only took place 20% of the time in Miami was a huge mistake. But also the story never grabbed me, even though it was apparently(!) based on Smugglers blues. It was hard to see the resemblance.I was actually quite thrilled with the idea of a movie, because the series deserved a movie, just liek Mission Impossible did. But the dissapointment couldnt be more than this. A waste of celluloid unfortunately and a big missed chance.Just my 2 cents.

I saw it in the movie theatre and I didn’t like it.I watched it again recently, don’t even know why, and my opinion hasn’t changed much.Although the opening scene is pretty cool, with the music and nightclub, and you’re taken immediately into the core of the story, the movie has some obvious subplots.IMO the worst is Crockett and Isabella: the relationship lacks intensity and is way too obvious, including the final farewell.The movie is dark, Miami’s trademark sun is missing and I would have loved to have more scenes in the day sun.It’s not only that it is dark, because some of the scenes we love most in the series were at night (to mention one: the “In the air tonight” scene), but it is a different kind of dark, I don’t know how to explain it, like a spooky and sinister dark.I’ve always thought that Colin Farrell is eye-candy and he has acted better in previous movies, but in MV he is emotionless, showing no signs of conflicts for example about being undercover and falling for Isabella.I remember that Crockett was often referring to how being undercover took a toll on him, but this isn’t at all seen in the movie.Besides, Farrell is wearing such a large amount of makeup that makes him look stiffly polished, like Ken (Barbie’s fiancé) and this brings it all back to being emotionless.What else?Oh yeah, Jose Yero is good looking!Irrelevant to the movie, I know.I got the DVD and the soundtrack CD as a gift from a friend who knows that I love MV. They both rest on a shelf, waiting for the weekly dusting… I think they both like Swiffer! :)

• Administrators
As an action movie' date=' it was just okay. As an adaption of MV, it was a colossal failure and letdown.[/quote']My thoughts exactly. I always thought that if it wasn't called "Miami Vice" and you changed the character names it was an ok movie but if the title and character names were changed then it would be called a ripoff of "Miami Vice"! It's a lose / lose situation.

Quote, cageyJG :"The mystifying part for me was the reaction from fans. For years, Vicers were all: GIMME MOVIE GIMME, then this came out and everybody _____ on it"_________________________________________________________________________________ We all wanted a movie but with DJ,PMT & the original cast. They were still young enough to make it viable.

My thoughts exactly. I always thought that if it wasn't called "Miami Vice" and you changed the character names it was an ok movie but if the title and character names were changed then it would be called a ripoff of "Miami Vice"! It's a lose / lose situation.

I was going to say it was exactly what I was thinking, but Ferrariman beat me to it!

• 3 weeks later...

I did not like the film too much. Some of it was okay (shoot out scene), but it wasn't Mann's best. I anticipated this film very much, and felt pretty let down as I walked out of the theater. I'm not a Colin Farrell fan, and I haven't liked Jamie Foxx since the end of In Living Color. Foxx should stick to comedy. :p As I watched the film, I realized that the plot was taken from 'Smugglers Blues'. The episode is way better than this movie was IMHO.I would be in favor of a second movie, IF it were to be closer to the show in essence.

I did not like the film too much. Some of it was okay (shoot out scene)' date=' but it wasn't Mann's best. I anticipated this film very much, and felt pretty let down as I walked out of the theater. I'm not a Colin Farrell fan, and I haven't liked Jamie Foxx since the end of In Living Color. Foxx should stick to comedy. :p As I watched the film, I realized that the plot was taken from 'Smugglers Blues'. The episode is way better than this movie was IMHO.I would be in favor of a second movie, IF it were to be closer to the show in essence.[/quote']I do like the smuggler blues aspect to the film though and i wish sometimes they'd have used those kind of plots more in the show, we only really had calderone's demise, smugglers' and i guess "prodigal son". So its kind of nice to have a new adventure outside Miami.Nowadays if the show was on, C&Ts could have went to the bahamas, cuba, jamaica, hawaii 5-0 cross-over :D ..just kidding.

I do like the smuggler blues aspect to the film though and i wish sometimes they'd have used those kind of plots more in the show' date=' we only really had calderone's demise, smugglers' and i guess "prodigal son". So its kind of nice to have a new adventure outside Miami.Nowadays if the show was on, C&Ts could have went to the bahamas, cuba, jamaica, hawaii 5-0 cross-over :D ..just kidding.[/quote']Yes, I also liked those plots and wish there were other episodes like those. Maybe instead of 'Missing Hours' they could have done an episode about a Jamaican marijuana kingpin, or something like that.

The first time I saw the film I was majorly unimpressed, but I ended up getting it on DVD and it's grown on me with each repeat viewing to the point where I now really like it. It's nothing like the show and it's far from Michael Mann's greatest work, but it still has some awesome moments in it, the cinematography's great and as usual for a Mann film it has some great soundtrack moments. So yeah, sometimes I feel the complete bashing it usually gets is a little unfair.Also, I appreciate that it went in a different direction. Any attempt to just recreate the series would've failed miserably, simply because it ISN'T THE 80S ANY MORE. Plus the original cast were all way too old to be believable in such a film even back in 2006, except possibly Edward James Olmos as Castillo. Unless Crockett and Tubbs are going undercover in a retirement home, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the movie…not so much because it‘s supposed to be Miami Vice, but because I LOVE Michael Mann. I like his style and love that way he does crime movies. So I like it more as a Mann movie with a few similarities to my favourite tv show.Nothing will obviously replace the original show, but I don’t see the big hairy deal with this movie and all the hatred surrounding it. Get over it already! This is a movie (like most Michael Mann movies) that grows on you if your willing to give it a few viewings. Personally, I prefer the theatrical version over the extended version. It would be nice if the blu-ray edition had both versions.

Like most of the people on this thread I hated the movie,such crap. Like someone already stated,I myself watched it because it was a Michael Mann flick. You would think with movies like heat and collateral,he would put out something great....

Is the Miami Vice reboot a bad film?Have to be honest, overall no.There were notable stand out performances from John Hawkes, John Ortiz and Tom Towles.Whenever any of them were on screen, I was engaged.Visually, it was signature Mann.Sadly the same isn't true for the main cast, mainly Farrell(though he did put forth more effort) and Foxx.Problem was compared to great films like Collateral, Manhunter, Thief, The Insider and Heat, this was a lackluster effort from Michaael Mann.

Problem was compared to great films like Collateral' date=' Manhunter, Thief, The Insider and Heat, this was a lackluster effort from Michaael Mann.[/quote']That's a sound assessment. While I like the film and always defend it, I'll freely admit it's significantly below Mann's usual thriller standard.