Did anyone else actually like this movie?

Vincent Hanna

• 4 weeks later...

I completely forgot about Manhunter!

Definitely my favourite Hannibal Lector film. I must be the only guy in the world who prefers Brian Cox to Anthony Hopkins (although Hopkins was great too' date=' especially in [b']The Silence of the Lambs).

I prefer Cox because I find him by far the scarier of the two. Hopkins plays the part for for fun, it's very theatrical and over-the-top, and while I like it in The Silence of the Lambs it starts to get a bit silly in the sequels.Cox, on the other hand, is far more realistic, you can actually believe he's a serial killing psychopath. Like most killers in real life, he isn't some emotive, effusive, grandiose actor, he's just a normal guy who's clearly messed up in the head. I particularly love the bit where he casually asks Graham for his home phone number, it's like you can't tell whether he's being intentionally threatening or if he genuinely just can't see a reason why the guy wouldn't want him to have it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Although I thought that the film could have worked from a better foundation of the series and integrated more of Miami, I took it for what it was. I own the DVD and do watch it again at times. There is good and bad, but I still love to see my favorite characters portrayed, even if it doesn't fit the original vision and the good memories we have.The original cast would still be viable for some sort of film or remake as most of them are still current actors. Sandra still looks beautiful, and Don is still awesome, even when dressed as Crockett for that LeBron James commercial. With the fan base, there would be money to be made. Sad to say it won't happen.

I watched it again recently, what i love the most is mann's writing. He can go from overly complicated police jargon that he spent months researching...to..."I'm a fiend for mojitos":sick:

I watched it again recently' date=' what i love the most is mann's writing. He can go from overly complicated police jargon that he spent months researching...to..."I'm a fiend for mojitos":sick:[/quote']i love the vice movie to its cutting edge photography to its excellent action scenes.. great film.

• 2 years later...

I watched the movie before I got into the series, and I didn't like it..something in my gut was telling me the series was much much better, watch that, try that...and I watched the series in 2010 and fell in love, I just....have never loved a show as much as I love Vice, everything about it is simply perfect.

IN my honest opinion , Colin Farrell isn't a good Crockett, but I like his other movies, I think a much better Crockett would be Matthew Mcconaughey, and maybe Denzel Washington as Tubbs (Did you know he was the original choice before PMT in the show? would of been interesting but I love PMT and I'm glad they stuck with him)  I like Jamie Foxx in other things such as Django and some of his other movies, but as Tubbs it did not work...you would expect better from the original writers and producers, especially when they gave us this groundbreaking series.

I hear they're thinking of making another Miami Vice reboot, but pray tell they get it right this time.

• Like 1

The movie was not as bad as it seems when you read the comments IMO.

But it had nothing to do with Miami Vice.

• 11 months later...

I remember sitting in the theater wondering when the action was going to start.  The long expensive boat race was inexplicably cut from the theater version.   It probably makes the DVD version of the movie more enjoyable.  The movie had almost no action in it, just some really well-crafted gunfire scenes.    :thumbsdown:

• 1 year later...

Okay I re-watched this movie again last night, but I watched the Directors cut which I was completely unaware about.. it's not available here in the UK.

The directors cut actually made it slightly better, the opening with the boat race is a clear homage to The Great McCarthy..  And in the build up to the final shootout they play In The Air Tonight (The remixed version unfortunately :(  )  with Crockett and Tubbs driving there, I feel like Crockett and the Asian lady going to Cuba on the boat was a homage and hint to the amazing Voices..

My opinion has changed a bit from what I said last year, Colin Farrell isn't that bad as Crockett but he sure as hell isn't DJ.. Jamie Foxx as Tubbs still god awful xD 

The sex scenes weren't really necessary.. 

And not to sound racist but why was Castillo black? When Castillo is clearly a hispanic name.. I'd rather they have bought back Eddie Olmos like Mann originally wanted to.

If you don't think of it as Miami Vice it's not a bad movie..I feel like Calderone should have been the main villain instead of Jose Yero and these weird Neo Nazis...  They chose the wrong episode to base it off of.

Maybe a bit of background story to the characters would have been nice too? We enter the movie like we're supposed to know what's going on.. I mean obviously you guys and I know what's going on, typical Vice bust in a fancy location, but do others know that? 

It gets a 5/10 from me and that's being really generous... the movie also gets brownie points for bringing back the Sonny Burnett and Rico Cooper cover names.

• Like 1

I just realized I did not post my opinion.  So here goes.  I tried, I really tried to get into the film, but I just couldn't do it.   I was so looking forward to being taken back to the glory days of the tv series with this film, but it never happened.  To me, it was like Michael Mann's heart was not into making it right.  He forgot what made the series great.  So I did not enjoy this movie.

• Like 1

I've seen the movie at least a dozen times and still don't understand the connection between the Neo Nazi's and the main bad guy, Jesus Montoya or whatever his name is. Do they just work for him or something?.:birdie:

It really is a bad movie but the cinematography looks pretty sweet and some of the musical choices are cool, so that's the stuff I keep coming back to. Colin Farrell is a decent actor man but it's almost comical how serious he plays it. Don Johnson would play it straight in the more heavy episodes like "Smuggler's Blues" and "Payback" but in the lighter stories DJ and PMT played it tongue in cheek, wink in their eyes and the movie was missing that fun. I think Mann was more focused on making the largest budget super duper realistic cop procedural of all time rather than wanting to emulate the original show. ;(

Although Gong Li and the Naomi Harris are hot so, that makes up for it.

• Administrators

The movie is mediocre. I've seen it a handful of times. Kinda slow progressing and boring, but there's still something about it which gives me slight enjoyment out of it. Not sure what it is, maybe it's Miami. 

But the key is to not think of it as Miami Vice. If Michael Mann named it something else then it wouldn't be that bad. 

I'm sorry but I cannot stand the 2006 movie..it sucked, horribly (my opinion)!! First, hardly any of it actually took place in Miami, and the actors chosen for most of the characters were terrible choices--Castillo especially! I was like...what the "heck"?? ?( :o

Second, it was somewhat boring and the movie seemed to be out of focus throughout most of it...it was very "grainy" and slightly "blurred" or something. It left some with headaches, as in my theater my dad and I talked about how out of focus it was, and we overheard some girls saying the same thing...and it was giving them headaches. I also read similar experiences online in the days following the premiere--so it was not just my theater. ;)

Third...there were hardly any odes to the original series, save the movie "Trudy" being tied up in an old trailer like the Smuggler's Blues episode. I realize that in 2006 we weren't gonna have pastels and Phil Collins playing in the background (although I prefer that)...but I expected a "heck" of a LOT more from this movie--and was devastatingly disappointed and let down!! :evil: ;(

To be blunt but truthful...this movie was boring, out of focus, actors were terrible, plot was mediocre, and it is a disgrace to the MV franchise!! :thumbsdown: The original series kicks this movie's proverbial butt BIG-TIME!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I saw this again on TV just now for like the 20th time(just because it was on). Still can't decide whether this is one of the greatest examples of post-modern art in film or if it's one of the most elaborate, polished turds in cinema history. Or it could be both.

If art is considered as any creative endeavour that provokes an emotion then this film suceeds in my opinion, whether you love it or hate it. There's a moment when Crockett journeys back to Miami in his boat after his little escapade with Gong Li in Havana. You see the moody sky, the rough waters, accompanied by the perfect musical score choice and that's when It hit me that this film wasn't complete garbage and that it had moments of brilliance. That moment is what separates this from the hundreds of other similar movies that wish they had those 10-15 seconds of magic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

I saw this again on TV just now for like the 20th time(just because it was on). Still can't decide whether this is one of the greatest examples of post-modern art in film or if it's one of the most elaborate, polished turds in cinema history. Or it could be both.

If art is considered as any creative endeavour that provokes an emotion then this film suceeds in my opinion, whether you love it or hate it. There's a moment when Crockett journeys back to Miami in his boat after his little escapade with Gong Li in Havana. You see the moody sky, the rough waters, accompanied by the perfect musical score choice and that's when It hit me that this film wasn't complete garbage and that it had moments of brilliance. That moment is what separates this from the hundreds of other similar movies that wish they had those 10-15 seconds of magic.

I watch it once a year and wonder the same thing. I think the movie has moments of stellar filmmaking here and there but the handheld camera vibe just didn't work for me. It felt like an A&E special on vice cops at times rather than a film.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2017 at 4:29 AM, agent 47 said:

I watch it once a year and wonder the same thing. I think the movie has moments of stellar filmmaking here and there but the handheld camera vibe just didn't work for me. It felt like an A&E special on vice cops at times rather than a film.

I go back and forth on the whole grainy digital look. Sometimes it looks neat but then there's times where it's cheap and tacky looking.

One of the things I do like is the sense of urgency throughout. Something goes down like John Hawkes calling them in the middle of an op or Trudy getting kidnapped, and then the team springs into action without explaining to us what's going on. Mann trusts us to keep up without spoon-feeding us every detail, though it is confusing as hell at times, 

Edited by Vincent Hanna
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 12:37 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I'm sorry but I cannot stand the 2006 movie..it sucked, horribly (my opinion)!! First, hardly any of it actually took place in Miami, and the actors chosen for most of the characters were terrible choices--Castillo especially! I was like...what the "heck"?? ?( :o

Second, it was somewhat boring and the movie seemed to be out of focus throughout most of it...it was very "grainy" and slightly "blurred" or something. It left some with headaches, as in my theater my dad and I talked about how out of focus it was, and we overheard some girls saying the same thing...and it was giving them headaches. I also read similar experiences online in the days following the premiere--so it was not just my theater. ;)

Third...there were hardly any odes to the original series, save the movie "Trudy" being tied up in an old trailer like the Smuggler's Blues episode. I realize that in 2006 we weren't gonna have pastels and Phil Collins playing in the background (although I prefer that)...but I expected a "heck" of a LOT more from this movie--and was devastatingly disappointed and let down!! :evil: ;(

To be blunt but truthful...this movie was boring, out of focus, actors were terrible, plot was mediocre, and it is a disgrace to the MV franchise!! :thumbsdown: The original series kicks this movie's proverbial butt BIG-TIME!!! :thumbsup:

Still stand by my previous review/statement! Horrible movie! :evil:

Edited by ViceFanMan