Did anyone else actually like this movie?

Vincent Hanna

vor 2 Stunden schrieb jpaul1:

i see lot of opinions, but no ideas, or even scripts beginnings. it's easy to critize an attempt saying it's awful. but it's harder to create a 'good' thing. 

I have to step in here before you are going further with this - Sorry but that’s the typical argument of an artist who can’t stand others disliking his creation. And you ain’t even MM!

A lot of people here including me dislike the movie and we have well enough stated why (story, characters, no VICE feel,...). Even if you don’t agree with us you have to accept that! Live with it as we live with your alternate opinion!

Nobody has to present you or anyone else incl MM an alternate story or a detailed recipe how to do differently! As any artist has the right to make a film without explaining why he did it that way, all paying(!) customers have the right to dislike it also without justifying or explaining, especially not to you!

I paid 15 bucks 14 years ago for a special premiere ticket and the movie sucked for me for the reasons I stated. I am entitled to say that without being able to make a film of my own in a better way! Or would you demand the same from me in a restaurant setting? (Cook it better yourself if you dislike the food...)

so please do what you claimed to do: respect other people’s opinion Instead of implicitly disrespecting them by demanding to do it better...!

Thanks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

i see lot of opinions, but no ideas, or even scripts beginnings. it's easy to critize an attempt saying it's awful. but it's harder to create a 'good' thing. this is where i think some bad opinions aren't justified here (even if i totally respect them). what would have been a good MV in 2006? i think Mann attempt is good, because plausible, because of its high degre of realism. i mean MV is just a story about two undercover cops right. and this is what Mann serves us. so where's the prob actually. also i don't get the complaining about the cast neither. for me the cast is great. it wasn't an easy challenge to play into a reboot of such a mythical series. I'm really interested about the definition of a good Miami vice movie in 2006. what is it exactly. Noogie, Izzie, crazy preachers, murders around voodoo? no way these things would work in 2006

@ ViceFanMan: actually it's your reaction that makes me laugh a lot. you even talk about my emojis. proof that the fact that when someone is against you on that subject you go mad lol. like if you wanted to kill any people on Earth, who said the movie was great lol

It should be clear by now that I could toss out a script beginning if I felt like it. And in some ways I did with the Task Force stories.

If you're going for realism, the kind of undercover work Mann was showing here was pretty much dead and gone by 2006. The drug trade had changed drastically by this time, but he didn't want to show that. Instead he was trying to straddle a throwback plot with more modern visuals, and it just didn't work as it was framed. When you look at the script and see him focusing so much on the visuals, you can tell where his heart was. But you can't describe Castillo as being between the CIA and a Jesuit (as he does in the script) and then cast someone who looks more like Lou. And that's just for starters.

• Like 1

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Robbie C.:

But you can't describe Castillo as being between the CIA and a Jesuit (as he does in the script) and then cast someone who looks more like Lou. 

Hey, what is wrong with @Ferrariman‚s Look? :p

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2020 at 2:21 PM, jpaul1 said:

i have a question to MV the movie 'haters'. what would have been a good movie as per your standards

I'm guessing Don Johnson, PMT and the rest of the cast, all looking exactly as they did in 1986! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Smuggler's Blues said:

I'm guessing Don Johnson, PMT and the rest of the cast, all looking exactly as they did in 1986! :D

I think that would have been awesome to have the cast still looking 30, 20 years later, lol! :p But in reality obviously that wasn’t possible. I don’t think anyone excepted pastels with Phil Collins playing in the background (although personally I prefer that), but we did expect a “heck” of a lot better than the disappointing, bizarre garbage we got! :thumbsdown:

Edited by ViceFanMan

What do u prefer? 11 seconds of dj on that nike commercial being watched in loop or 120 minutes or so, of colin farrel and jammie fox imitating a door?

Now farrel will be the next penguin...lol...oh burgess meredith ill pray for you!

2 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

What do u prefer? 11 seconds of dj on that nike commercial being watched in loop or 120 minutes or so, of colin farrel and jammie fox imitating a door?

Now farrel will be the next penguin...lol...oh burgess meredith ill pray for you!

I’ll take the 11 seconds of Don in the commercial over the movie for sure, lol! :) I actually had not heard about Farrell being the next Penguin...geesh! :( 

• 1 year later...

Used to hate it, however upon rewatching it. I really do like it. I can enjoy it if I don't compare it to our beloved show at all. As a movie, it's a good movie, but not as an adaption of Miami Vice. The music is very hit and miss, I have a few tracks I like and some I don't.  Numb Encore is a classic and I do like the cover of In The Air Tonight (Nothing beats Phil though ever) The ending track Auto Rock by Mogwai is brilliant. In terms of style. Mann nails it as always.  There's not too much action in Miami (But that's a given, the movie's plot is based on Smuggler's Blues) Crockett & Tubbs, they're kinda just there and already established as decorated officers, we barely know anything about them. As the same for the rest of the Vice Squad (Which is an issue) but there's only so much you can fit into a 2 hour movie, I'm just glad they were all incorporated. The movie was DARK, and I mean DARK. it's more on par with Season 5 than anything else. But I guess that's the vibe it would be, this isn't the 80's. The drug trade is a nasty business. And in all honesty Jamie Foxx isn't a brilliant fit for Tubbs. Colin is a great fit for a modern Crockett (Handpicked by DJ himself). As for Jamie Foxx. He is just really being Jamie Foxx, the chemistry isn't really there between Colin & Jamie, given the issues on-set. Colin checked himself into rehab after this movie, and the gang shooting where they were filming caused Jamie Foxx to not want to return. It's unfortunate that had to happen, because it could have been great. I do like the line where Crockett said "Why do I get the feeling everybody knows we're here 15 blocks out?" And Tubbs says "Because everybody knows, we're here 15 blocks out." Classic Crockett & Tubbs.

This is definitely a movie that could've been benefited from a potential trilogy, establishing other great episodes, expanding the characters some more and Mann's stylistic approach to everything. 

So yeah, that's my unbiased opinion. 

_20210529_230323.thumb.JPG.dee3c389f8b64a598190c62de9743eb4.JPG

Edited by Detective_Crockett
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Detective_Crockett said:

Used to hate it, however upon rewatching it. I really do like it. I can enjoy it if I don't compare it to our beloved show at all. As a movie, it's a good movie, but not as an adaption of Miami Vice. The music is very hit and miss, I have a few tracks I like and some I don't.  Numb Encore is a classic and I do like the cover of In The Air Tonight (Nothing beats Phil though ever) The ending track Auto Rock by Mogwai is brilliant. In terms of style. Mann nails it as always.  There's not too much action in Miami (But that's a given, the movie's plot is based on Smuggler's Blues) Crockett & Tubbs, they're kinda just there and already established as decorated officers, we barely know anything about them. As the same for the rest of the Vice Squad (Which is an issue) but there's only so much you can fit into a 2 hour movie, I'm just glad they were all incorporated. The movie was DARK, and I mean DARK. it's more on par with Season 5 than anything else. But I guess that's the vibe it would be, this isn't the 80's. The drug trade is a nasty business. And in all honesty Jamie Foxx isn't a brilliant fit for Tubbs. Colin is a great fit for a modern Crockett (Handpicked by DJ himself). As for Jamie Foxx. He is just really being Jamie Foxx, the chemistry isn't really there between Colin & Jamie, given the issues on-set. Colin checked himself into rehab after this movie, and the gang shooting where they were filming caused Jamie Foxx to not want to return. It's unfortunate that had to happen, because it could have been great. I do like the line where Crockett said "Why do I get the feeling everybody knows we're here 15 blocks out?" And Tubbs says "Because everybody knows, we're here 15 blocks out." Classic Crockett & Tubbs.

This is definitely a movie that could've been benefited from a potential trilogy, establishing other great episodes, expanding the characters some more and Mann's stylistic approach to everything. 

So yeah, that's my unbiased opinion. 

_20210529_230323.thumb.JPG.dee3c389f8b64a598190c62de9743eb4.JPG

If it had been made under another title, and not tried to have anything to do with MV or its characters...it might have fared better. It could have just been another action movie made by Mann. But, trying to tie it in with a show as iconic & famous as MV was a huge mistake! 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

If it had been made under another title, and not tried to have anything to do with MV or its characters...it might have fared better. It could have just been another action movie made by Mann. But, trying to tie it in with a show as iconic & famous as MV was a huge mistake! 

Exactly!  :thumbsup:  I've said this before.  It would've been better if it wasn't called "Miami Vice" but if it was made under a different name with different character names it would've been called a "Miami Vice" ripoff. 

The perfect example of damned if you do, damned if you don't. ;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Exactly!  :thumbsup:  I've said this before.  It would've been better if it wasn't called "Miami Vice" but if it was made under a different name with different character names it would've been called a "Miami Vice" ripoff. 

I also feel like even if Mann had made it set in the 80's we still wouldn't like it very much when compared to the original. 

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Truly 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Maybe...but if they had a total different title & characters, I don’t know if it would have been called an MV “ripoff”? After all, the movie had little to-nothing to do with the show, or its characters, anyway. ;) Most of the movie took place outside Miami...so a different title with different locals would’ve helped. 

• Like 1

The key issues of this movie have been mentioned in most earlier posts.

For me it’s a completely idealess hush-hush movie as it gives me the impression that there was neither spent any time or brain on a story (just recycled Smugglers Blues), good casting (all roles badly casted), team spirit/chemistry between actors (none), chemistry of Miami as location (none, Miami hardly shown at all) or honoring the series recipe (visuals plus drama plus a bit humor, good quotes and music).

for me the movie is a cheap and hastily produced attempt just to film something like Heat 2, but with darker colors and with digital cameras. That was the only mindset or strategy I can see behind all this. If Mann wasn’t the mastermind behind the original  MV himself, Universal should have sued him for destroying a legacy and potential landmark franchise. In my belief the movie has a lot to do with the fact that there has not been a series remake as opposed to Magnum, Hawaii 5-0 or .MacGyver (as good or bad as they all are or were). With this bad movie he burnt the ground for everyone who wanted to revive the spirit. It’s simply too risky now with this work at hand and risk is poison in Hollywood.

Just my two cents….

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

It's a good movie, I watch it sometimes. And I really like the digital noise in the night shooting, it brings a significant amount of realism to the film.

• Administrators

Srobak did but who cares….   (It’s a long story)  ;)

2 hours ago, Marc said:

I'll always choose Collateral over it, but both movies could've done without Jamie Foxx and I don't need to mention Jada Pinkett Smith.

The MV movie was greatly miscast, not to mention ridiculous plot, poor acting, hardly any of it took place in Miami, and the cinematography was out of focus/grainy & terrible! Michael Mann is awesome, but this movie should have never been made! :thumbsdown: 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

The MV movie was greatly miscast, not to mention ridiculous plot, poor acting, hardly any of it took place in Miami, and the cinematography was out of focus/grainy & terrible! Michael Mann is awesome, but this movie should have never been made! :thumbsdown: 

The tiny fan channel has many videos of current Miami footage with old DJ that give much better glimpse of the iconic locations. I don't know if he posts here or they've been shared before.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc said:

The tiny fan channel has many videos of current Miami footage with old DJ that give much better glimpse of the iconic locations. I don't know if he posts here or they've been shared before.

It’s @Miami Beau here, too. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marc said:

This is @Miami Beau...his videos are of Miami & odes to the original show. I was referring to the 2006 movie, that should not have been done. :o

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

I tried tô watch bad boys as a potential New vice. Needless tô say i slept. Same effect with MV movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Mr. Calderon:

I tried tô watch bad boys as a potential New vice. Needless tô say i slept. Same effect with MV movie.

Bad boys is unwatchable for me due to Martin Lawrence. He and Chris Tucker (Rush hour) are so super annoying and pseudo funny that I can’t even fall asleep with these two on screen and their voices on - it’s like brain surgery without anesthetic :)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tom said:

Bad boys is unwatchable for me due to Martin Lawrence. He and Chris Tucker (Rush hour) are so super annoying and pseudo funny that I can’t even fall asleep with these two on screen and their voices on - it’s like brain surgery without anesthetic :)

im not a good example of how good or bad a movie is.... since i slept watching 2001, Blade Runner and i have the 3 dvds of star wars trilogy and i slept on the first part too. lol... But the mv garbage movie its really bad.