Miami Blues locations

Tommy Vercetti

I watched Miami Blues again. I'd rate it good but not exceptional. There's some good Miami scenery in though. I've identified some locations.Alec Baldwin first meets Jennifer Jason Leigh at the Grand Doubletree Hotel on 1717 North Bayshore Drive. Milton Glantz's rooftop party in Death & The Lady was at this hotel.Baldwin shots a thief at the Big Fish Restaurant at 55 SW Miami Avenue. This is also where Crockett and Tubbs had lunch with Duddy the mugging sh!thead in Lend Me An Ear and where Crockett was playing pool and met Cutter in Leap of Faith.The scene in the mall was at Dadeland Mall on 7535 North Kendall Drive. There was of course an infamous shootout at this same mall in 1979 that kickstarted the drug wars.Could some of our other location slueths (airtommy, Jim, Dan J) help with some of the movie's locations.Was that the Venetian pool where Baldwin and Jennifer were eating? And does anyone know where the street where Baldwin went into the pawn shop and got his fingers chopped off is located? Thanks

I'll probably give this one a look sometime in the next few months. I saw it a while ago, but didn't really study it. I remember Big Fish, though. The problem is that it hardly ever comes on TV.

I can confirm that the Venetian Pool (on 2701 DeSoto Boulevard in Coral Gables) is in a scene in the movieEingefügtes Bild

I haven't seen this location before - interesting . Is it part of a hotel or something ?

That's Venetian Pool. Go here: http://www.venetianpool.com/ Would have looked good in Vice' date=' they missed the boat my not using this location.[/quote']Thansk miamijimf , youre right it looks like such a "Vice-ish" location in the vain of The Biltmore in Coral Gables where they shot quite a bit.:D

I agree. The Venetian Pool would've looked great on Vice. Pity it was never used. Vice didn't film in Coral Gables that much, except in season 5 (like Line of Fire and The Lost Madonna). I heard that Michael Mann didn't want to film in Coral Gables and Coconut Grove because they wouldn't be right for the show. That's pretty dumb if you ask me. There were restrictions to where in Miami they could film Miami Vice!

The issue of Coral Gables in Vice has been discussed before. The Gables is very Mediterranean looking and didn't have that hard edge that was the VICE look. Plus Mann said something like "Poor people live in Art Deco, rich people live in post-modern." This is far from the truth but it was apparently his mindset when creating the show. By season five, the philosophy had changed probably because they were looking for new filming sites. Gables locations included the Biltmore, Collonade Hotel, Church of the Little Flower, and the intersection of Taragona Dr and Alhambra.

There's some familar faces from Vice in this movie - Paul Gleason (When Irish Eyes Are Crying), Miracle Man, the guy who picked a fight with Crockett at the bar in Leap of Faith and that tough looking guy who was Guzman's henchman in Down For The Count and who was also in Walk-Alone and Hard Knocks

• 2 weeks later...

Fred Ward's character lives at what is now Hotel Nash LLC at 1120 Collins Avenue in South BeachEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildBaldwin jacks a car at Metro Food Equipment Co. at 1352 N Miami Avenue. This same street was at the start of Child's PlayAlec and Jennifer had an apartment at Calusa Club Village in Kendall (8888 SW 131sr Ct)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i was sure i was wrong, guess i shouldn't have offered. maybe it was the old cars ;)have you tried PM'ing matt5 or SoFla Jeremy?

I just figured out where the street with the pawn shop scene is located. It's at the corner of North Miami Avenue and North 5th Street. It was featured on Vice in Tale of the Goat (A really great episode...for me to poop on!)The pawn shop and neighbouring stores have been demolished and a new modern building has been built on the site. You can see an aerial shot of the street here:http://miami-vice.ws/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&id=1620

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the movie. Very interesting and funny at times but sad also. They made good use of locations in the area. Anyone with the movie on DVD or tape should recognize the old hotel clerk Eddie who handed over the revolver with the hollow points. Trivia question: What character did he play in a Vice episode?