Episode #88 "A Bullet For Crockett"

Ferrariman

I don't hate this episode...but I don't love it either. It's obviously a "filler" and possibly one filmed where Don Johnson didn't have to be there much.You get to see all the cool action and music scenes from seasons past, in the flashbacks...but there's no real major captivating plot, other than Crockett is shot and the OCB team is reminiscing about past experiences with him.Of course he lives, so we can have a 5th season :p , and that's about all there is to it. To be honest...my favorite part of the whole episode is where even Izzy shows up to see how Sonny was doing, and he has his moment of remembrance with Crockett. Then he and Stan shake hands and hug at the end when of Course Sonny lives. That really did show the care and love that even 'ol Izz had for him and the OCB team. :clap:Overall, nothing memorable or that awesome. Not a terrible episode by any means...but not a great or captivating one either. I gave it a 5.

• 3 weeks later...

If you was watching this in 1988 where there was no internet, youtube and no VHS releases (unless you recorded it yourself). I bet it was actually interesting to see a clip show showing all the cool moments.But unfortunately, Netflix and the trend of Instant watching of television negates the purpose.Some peoples criticism on this was a last second mug for viewers is valid. But If I'm rewatching the show, I always watch the In the air tonight opening and then I just skip to the next episode.

If you was watching this in 1988 where there was no internet' date=' youtube and no VHS releases (unless you recorded it yourself). I bet it was actually interesting to see a clip show showing all the cool moments.But unfortunately, Netflix and the trend of Instant watching of television negates the purpose.Some peoples criticism on this was a last second mug for viewers is valid. But If I'm rewatching the show, I always watch the In the air tonight opening and then I just skip to the next episode.[/quote']If you "were" watching this in 1988 ;) , it was still just considered a "filler" and an episode that showed old scenes. Other shows, even in the 1970's, had already done this same thing--someone gets shot and the rest of the cast/episode reminisces about past events with that character. So, it really was nothing new by this time.Plus, by the late 80's popular shows would be aired in reruns at some point or another...as USA began showing "MV" reruns almost immediately after it went off the air, in 1989. Most di-hard fans did tape it anyway. So, all episodes and scenes could be rewound and enjoyed again. :cool:

If you was watching this in 1988 where there was no internet' date=' youtube and no VHS releases (unless you recorded it yourself). I bet it was actually interesting to see a clip show showing all the cool moments.But unfortunately, Netflix and the trend of Instant watching of television negates the purpose.Some peoples criticism on this was a last second mug for viewers is valid. But If I'm rewatching the show, I always watch the In the air tonight opening and then I just skip to the next episode.[/quote']Wow! Couldn't have said it better myself! I agree that todays youth of "I want it right f****n now! makes an episode such as this possibly redundant, but in it's day it was a good montage of past events that we did not have the opportunity to re-watch at will and was refreshing!

• 1 year later...

Although I understand sometimes budgeting causes a "clip show" format for an episode, it can be wonderfully done to remind the audience of the journey the characters have all endured.  ...But the thing that probably hurt this type of "clip show" format the most and revealed how weakly it developed their characters, was that the show hardly delved into the team's friendship beyond their work environment, as I mentioned before, which lessens the impact the tragedy of Crockett's critical condition since we are mostly familar with the working relationship the team has with each other rather than the full extent of their friendships with each other.  By the way...  isn't it interesting that most of the clips used were from Season 1 and 2 when Mann was around?  I noticed with Mann's style, he focuses a lot more on the characters, their relationships (there seems to be a lot more characters from the team's past that show up in the first two seasons, and thus reveal more of the team's backstories), and the intense emotions they experience (through the inclusion of music and wonderful cinematography) while Wolf seems more (or I should say too) preoccupied with making the plot have multiple twists and being reflective of the current political and criminal landscape, rather than the characters and their emotions (which is evident in Wolf's work in his many Law & Order television shows).  For me, a lot of the emotional weight I felt from the characters during this episode, came from those first two seasons actually,

Some of the clips were bizarre in their inclusion, such as with the scenes in "Payback", "Smuggler's Blues", and "Lend Me An Ear" scenes, did those really contribute much? The scenes that did work were Castillo's in "Child's Play", Trudy's "The Dutch Oven", Crockett remembering Evan's words in "Evan", and Stan's "Down For the Count" scenes, though I wish Stan would have commented a little bit in dealing with the possiblity that he would now have to deal with a second close friend and co-worker passing away.  I was hoping for each of the team members to talk a bit to Crockett in his unconscious/coma state, as a way of revealing just how much he had done for each of them.  Strangely enough... it seemed like Izzy had the most dialogue when it came to talking to Crockett in the hospital room.

I think they should have included Tubbs' hospitalization in "Tale of the Goat" when Crockett was holding onto him when Tubbs snapped out of his hallucination, and Crockett trying to be there for him after Angelina's death in "Sons and Lovers", plus also the scene in "Evan" when Crockett holds Evan's dying body, and Tubbs holds onto Crockett's shoulder.  For Gina, maybe they should have included him hugging her in the ending scene in "Give A Little, Take A Little" rather than the champagne scene in "Brother's Keeper".

Plus, they should've included Caitlin in the episode in arriving at Sonny's bedside.  It was too long for her to be away after around 3 days have passed.

It was somewhere just barely above average of an episode because again it showed us what the characters endured, but at the same time, with the clips and the "In The Air Tonight" scenes included, it inadvertently and painfully reminded the audience of how wonderfully done Miami Vice was done in the past.  ...It also makes one to wonder if Mann's style would have continued into Season 3 and 4, just how many more wonderfully done scenes could have referred to by the time this episode was produced.

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 3

I remember watching this episode when it first aired. I enjoyed it pretty much because it was a reminder of how cool a show Vice WAS. I watched this as a teen with my mom & we would smile & say "oh remember that". I always taped episodes & if I didn't like them, I taped over them. I wasn't keeping many episodes by this point but I kept this one. This was them saying "hey remember how much fun Vice used to be?"

Edited by Noggie
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

The clip episode comes off well done on what would seem like a poor idea. 

Great opening with the drug deal, I love it when Crockett says "I put 100K to win on Miami!" 

All the clips are done very well with the exception of Izzy. Why did he have to be here? Crockett hates him, his presence here is just a reminder that he's on the show. 

My favorite flashback clips are the ones from Evan. "you ever think that there is a bullet out there with your name on it?" and also great use of the scenes from Dutch Oven, that was Trudy's shining episode.

I'm going to give this a 6/10. It's almost like the writers are teasing you "remember how awesome Miami Vice used to be?" and it really shows when you watch those old clips in this episode and think about the horror that season 4 was giving us (Missing Hours, the Sheena Easton episodes, Cows of October, etc) 

Edited by Tony_MontanaCDL

Good episode - I dont think Crockett hated Izzy - found him annoying and amusing. Izzy was like the informant for C&T throughout the show from Season 2-5 onward :dance2:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Of course Izzy had to be in this episode. He was like unofficially a part of the vice squad. Throughout the show's run.

He had to be there !!:dance2:

• 1 year later...

Damn that opening scene was awesome.

What happened with the rest?

Just not very engaging. Would've liked a scene where Caitlin visits the hospital.

4/10

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, APalFromHawaii said:

I like this episode. It's not loading your mind with too much info, relax, just amazing moments from the past episodes.

:cool::thumbsup:

I also always enjoy this episode . Ok it’s the Miami Vice clip show - but it’s well done .

:hippie:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 7/26/2010 at 12:37 PM, Guest neworder said:

Clearly after blowing the budget on the Missing Hours special effects they ran out of money and had to make this clip show to make it a full 22ep season.Since I never watched the original run as I wasn't alive, this episode seems pointless to me in the world of DVD's and YouTube. Yes as already stated, some parts of the episode are nicely put together, but montages like the one's in this ep are common place nowadays and made just as well by fans on youtube. In addition Gina was irritating as per usual. Overall I give it a 5/10 to show my appreciation for it's relevance back in the day, but today it's a complete waste of time watching it.

The point of this episode was to remind us of who the man Sonny Crockett was and to build sympathy for him before he turns into a full-blown monster.  Pretty soon we're going to be without our version of Sonny for several episodes and a season gap.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2010 at 12:37 PM, Guest neworder said:

Clearly after blowing the budget on the Missing Hours special effects they ran out of money and had to make this clip show to make it a full 22ep season. (snipped)

I mentioned this in another thread (forget which one, LOL) but at the time A Bullet for Crockett was being filmed, a writers' strike had caused almost all of the existing TV shows to go into reruns.  You have to give the show runners props for coming up with a story that at least had some original material.   Even though this wasn't a very strong episode, it was better than a full rerun.  As Timm and others mentioned, the medical details were mostly entertaining rather than realistic!  However, I enjoyed that the ICU nurses initiated the Code Blue, rather than a doctor being right at the bedside and immediately taking the lead.

Personally I liked Gina's response.  It's pretty common to recall that last encounter with the dying person and if it wasn't the last interaction you'd like to remember, it's a pretty helpless feeling to know you may never have a chance to do it over.  Also, Gina (in my opinion) had a lot of unresolved feelings for Sonny.  Knowing that she couldn't really admit those feelings intensified her reactions. 

• Like 2

I kind of dislike, that they reused Phil Collins song "In The Air Tonight" as that was already synonymous with the iconic scene in "Brother's Keeper."

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, summer84 said:

I kind of dislike, that they reused Phil Collins song "In The Air Tonight" as that was already synonymous with the iconic scene in "Brother's Keeper."

I thought that too, but at the same time, when you think about it, the song in Brother's Keeper signified what was an extremely important event, one that was fate. Well, Calderone got away, but it gave it that same ominous feeling.

But yeah, it's kind of cheap to reuse it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An okay clip show, I quite like the opening scene actually. The song fits despite its previous usage, it was shot well with dynamic lighting. I thought it was cute how Izzy visited Crockett despite him giving no damns about Izzy.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually just a best of-action sequences from previous seasons. Except the opening scene, which was brilliant in my opinion, although I would have liked a new iconic song for it (probably Tears for fears, Russ Ballard,...) instead of just reusing "In the air tonight". 

Maybe not too bad at it's original airing time when you haven't watched the old episodes for a while. Nowadays in times of best of clips on YouTube made by fans it's not unique anymore. Oh and I disagree with the opinions that wish to see Caitlin at Sonny's bed in hospital. Would have been overly cheesy, especially considering her limited acting skills. A solid 7/10 because of Izzy and the opening scene, otherwise I'd rate much lower... 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 6:18 AM, pmconroy said:

I thought that too, but at the same time, when you think about it, the song in Brother's Keeper signified what was an extremely important event, one that was fate. Well, Calderone got away, but it gave it that same ominous feeling.

But yeah, it's kind of cheap to reuse it.

It was a sin.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I didn't like some of the choices they made for the flashbacks but I understood why they made them. I had my favorites they should have included. What were yours? 

This episode wasn't just a filler. The Bullet clips helped me appreciate why I loved the show and why it was special to me. 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 5