Song on MV that was weird or didn't belong in the episode?

SonnyCrockettBurnett01

My vote goes for the songs on "Jack of All Trades" by the Swingle Swingers"Fugue #5 in D Major""Fugue #5 in D Minor""Aria""Zweistimmige Inventionen No. 1 C-Dur"

• Administrators

My vote goes for the songs on "Jack of All Trades" by the Swingle Swingers"Fugue #5 in D Major""Fugue #5 in D Minor""Aria""Zweistimmige Inventionen No. 1 C-Dur"

I don't know if you've ever seen "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid" but I believe it was Burt Bacharach who did the music score and used very similar sounding music in parts of the movie. It was played as a background for Butch & Sundance as they robbed banks while always looking over their shoulders to avoid being arrested and I think "Jack of All Trades" was a homage of sorts to the movie. With Jack constantly on the run from his enemies it seemed fitting. Even the ending of "Jack of All Trades" was similar with Sonny & Jack trapped as were Butch & Sundance.
  • Like 1

I don't know if you've ever seen "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid" but I believe it was Burt Bacharach who did the music score and used very similar sounding music in parts of the movie. It was played as a background for Butch & Sundance as they robbed banks while always looking over their shoulders to avoid being arrested and I think "Jack of All Trades" was a homage of sorts to the movie. With Jack constantly on the run from his enemies it seemed fitting. Even the ending of "Jack of All Trades" was similar with Sonny & Jack trapped as were Butch & Sundance.

Ha, I never connected this ep with Butch Cassidy but now that you bring it up it makes sense! Interesting parallel for sure.My vote for strange song is at the end of Red Tape, with Closer to Heaven playing. Never had a clue on that one and seemed un-vicelike. And watching LDP do his old western style death dance made it seem even more wacky.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

• 1 month later...
Guest myonlyvice

Actually, I kinna feel like this entire episode doesn't belong, anywhere.

• 1 year later...

Couldn't stand use of Born to Be Wild in either Great McCarthy or Better Living Through Chem. It's an already overplayed song from the 60s, what's it doing in a hot new wave 80s tv show? rare misfire on the producer's part.

Edited by coolrunninman

Couldn't stand use of Born to Be Wild in either Great McCarthy or Better Living Through Chem. It's an already overplayed song from the 60s, what's it doing in a hot new wave 80s tv show? rare misfire on the producer's part.

You could make the same argument imo about the multiple Doors songs used in Back in the World, though I know the Vietnam early scenes with the music made more sense.  Strangely, I think this was the only Ep which exclusively used one artist's music.

• 1 month later...

eh its kind of hard to pin down as I remember one or two instances where I really didnt care for the music being played, Namely that song at the end of Irish Eyes irked me when Gina Shoots down her boyfriend

not to mention the imagery at the end, I half expected to see a funny white chaulk outline around Liam Neason there like I was looking at a scene out of the Naked Gun 2

plus that born to be wild scene, although I admit music is a matter of personal choice but I just felt like why dont we put some more of Jan's music in there for it?

like double up on the excelent marina theme, like this latter version of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9GOiI0TadE

• 2 years later...
On 11/22/2012 at 7:22 AM, SonnyCrockettBurnett01 said:

Certainly "Jack of All Trades" is really out of the usual Vice "feel"! 

Funny thing is that I am positive the tracks used on "Jack of All Trades" do not come from The Swingle Singers' two famous albums "Jazz Sebastian Bach" vol. 1/ vol. 2 (1963/1968). I could never figure this out. The versions heard on the episode are pretty close to the tracks available on those records, but they're not exactly the same. I wonder if what we hear on the episode comes from later recordings from The Swingle Singers (they have a big discography, who knows), or (my bet) somehow MV production used cover versions (MV did this before, as we know). Maybe the production just didn't want to pay music licensing for a lot of non-rock tracks coming from a legendary Grammy winner album? 

Check Bach's Invention in C major here, it's not the version we hear on the ep (first and last scene of "Jack of All Trades"):

Check this link at 14'08'' for Bach's Fugue no. 5 in D major from The Well Tempered Clavier Book I, it's also not the version heard on the episode scene right after Ray Soliz threatens Jack

Another example: Bach's Fugue (Contrapunctus IX) from Art of Fugue (mouse mask scene, the clip below will start at the end of the music, which is radically different than the episode version)[this is the easiest example, here the differences are more apparent]

Air on G string, different from the episode as well 

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Jack of all trades on right now on Cozi. I almost forgot about the BAH BAAA BAH BAH BAH BUM BUM BAAAH...what the hell is this??? i specifically looked up this topic, i knew somebody would mention it. Also missing hours god awful episode I feel good. No idea why where when that entire episode was created and who thought James brown would make a good guest star. 

Jimi Hendrix "Up From the Skies" in Florence Italy. GREAT song. I know the lyrics kind of go with the actions in that sequence, but is there anything psychedelic or "freedom-ish" in that episode? Usually when a non-80s song is used in Vice, something in the episode (if not the scene particularly in which the song is played) alludes to that era or genre. Not so here. 

I thought "Gun Law" by the Kane Gang was a poor musical choice in "Cuba Libre."  To me, it just didn't fit the scene where it was used. 

Edited by mvnyc

I just watched Jack of all Trades a couple weeks ago. that song does stick out, yet it kind of fits the scene.

I nominate about 50% of the songs they used in the last two seasons. hey let's not use hit songs, let's use stuff no one has heard of and never will again.

10 hours ago, mvnyc said:

I thought "Gun Law" by the Kane Gang was a poor musical choice in "Cuba Libre."  To me, it just didn't fit the scene where it was used. 

I really hate that song on that final scene!

I also could easily live without Loz Netto's "We Touch" on "The Afternoon Plane" and Gypsy Kings's "Inspiration" on "World Of Trouble".

• 2 weeks later...

They included some Chris De Burgh tracks in late Season 3 ( 3 in one episode "Everybody's In Showbiz"  )

- seemed like a strange choice as he was so uncool !!:D

Edited by Matt5

Yeah alot of the tracks in S4 + 5 were very strange. Vice went from having well known pop songs to this weird underground alternative rock synth music or whatever it's called.

I do like some of it though like "Under the radar" at the start of Hostile Takeover.

• Like 1

I love the more alternative soundtrack in the later seasons. It would have been great if Jan Hammer had stayed on (with his season 1 and 2 ferver) to boot. 

Tony, I'm here if you have any questions! I've come to realize this is my specialty, along with a few other members here, as well. 

49 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Tony, I'm here if you have any questions! I've come to realize this is my specialty, along with a few other members here, as well. 

very true:D

15 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I love the more alternative soundtrack in the later seasons. It would have been great if Jan Hammer had stayed on (with his season 1 and 2 ferver) to boot. 

Dadrian - do you think the more alternative soundtrack to Seasons 4 or 5 was more due to budget constraints ? as it would have been expensive to fit pop songs into the episodes when ratings were falling and DJs salary had gone up considerably !! ha ha

However pop songs did still appear right throuugh till the end of Season 5 :D:D