Little Prince - sad news for sleuths

CarolineUK

Good idea Pink' date=' not sure how much weight it would have but it would at least show that there is nationwide and worldwide support for preserving this landmark. One of the top administrators want to start the ball rolling?[/quote']Good point there Jim .:D

Thanks for posting Ally. I was wondering what was going on. I have written the Mayor' date=' wish I (we) could do more.[/quote']Your welcome thought I would share it with everyone here.There was a name and phone number on it .But I wasn't sure if it was okay to share the name and phone number here

• 1 month later...

Sad News EveryoneYesterday was a sad day in the history of Miami Beach. The Design Review Board approved the total demolition of 42 Star Island, the iconic landmark home at the center of this petition.Even more unfortunate - the review board granted an allowance for the owner to build larger than we expected - the new replacement McMansion will be 20,000 square feet. This allowance of 40% additional lot coverage was granted because the DRB agreed with the owner that the home was a "teardown", in spite of overwhelming expert testimony to the contrary.As one of our petition signers so eloquently noted: "If those owners are prepared to demolish a structure that has significance to the fabric of this city, then their personal sense of importance must be superior to the importance of the city as a whole, and this is NOT a trait that should be lauded by the community."Unfortunately, the DRB's approval and subsequent size allowance did just that. This new home will tower over its immediate next door neighbors - sitting significantly taller and at over 2-times the size. It will become a permanent and visible reminder to millions of the city's failure to reign in out-of-scale development, for generations to come.I want to thank my fellow volunteers at MDPL, who have spent tremendous time and energy exploring every opportunity to save this home over the past several months. We fought the good fight, and in years to come I believe that we will all look back and be comforted knowing that we were on the right side of history in this matter.An effort is now underway to fix the loopholes which allow such senseless demolition to occur and to add more incentives to save historic homes. If you would like to stay in the loop regarding these critical next steps, please visit our website and add your email address to the "Join Our Newsletter" box on the bottom right. (Once this petition is closed, we won't be able to keep in touch otherwise, so I hope that you will add your email to our website today so that we may continue to join hands with our 425 like-minded petition signers.) Website link: http://www.savemiamibeach.org/?utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=emailThanks again for supporting our petition. Though we have lost this battle, we have not yet lost the war to save Miami Beach from those who seek to exploit it for their own selfish short-term interests. Miami Beach's extraordinary success is based on a history of people like you and me standing up and saying "enough is enough" before it is too late. We will not stop until our city has sufficient protections in place to prevent such embarrassing situations from happening in the future.Sincerely, Daniel Ciraldo dgc223@gmail.com http://www.savemiamibeach.org/ 305-496-9535

Anyone have the Argentinian's phone number?

Who would he get rid of? The couple with the highly inflated egos the size of their bank balance or the idiots on the decision-making board who let this atrocity happen? RIP Miami Beach because unless something happens soon to block these demolitions, NOTHING will remain from the 80s let alone anything prior to then :cry: : :cry:

Who would he get rid of? The couple with the highly inflated egos the size of their bank balance or the idiots on the decision-making board who let this atrocity happen? RIP Miami Beach because unless something happens soon to block these demolitions' date=' NOTHING will remain from the 80s let alone anything prior to then :cry: : :cry:[/quote']that's the problem with modernization, if its not done with a respect for the old you loose the identity of said object and it applies to everything.kinda why historical societies are so key in our everyday lives, to protect history from the rich and greedy who do not have the due respect for the ways and objects of the past. after all as Laforge once said in Relics, you dont throw something away just because its old. under there kind of thinking they would take a TR or the D, crush it and buy a new one, then rinse and repeat.

Absolutely ridiculous - Miami is being demolished ..On Ocean Drive some of the iconic hotels are closed as hotels and just operating as street side cafes - as the hotels are empty I noticed . One ( The Congress at 1052 ) is just open on g/f selling cigars the whole of the ground floor is empty. I looked in the old Wolfies site on Collins and 21st and although there has been some building the whole of the g/f where the famous cafe once stood and is full of rubble and big concrete blocks - no building has been done on that site since 2006 :thumbsdown:

Absolutely ridiculous - Miami is being demolished ..On Ocean Drive some of the iconic hotels are closed as hotels and just operating as street side cafes - as the hotels are empty I noticed . One ( The Congress at 1052 ) is just open on g/f selling cigars the whole of the ground floor is empty. I looked in the old Wolfies site on Collins and 21st and although there has been some building the whole of the g/f where the famous cafe once stood and is full of rubble and big concrete blocks - no building has been done on that site since 2006 :thumbsdown:

Yeah - much like the space acting as a car park which used to be the Senator. Some of the hotels along Ocean & Collins are being refurbished and turned into condos (like the Carlyle) or up-market boutique hotels (like the Marlin). There are buildings up for sale along Ocean & Collins & all but 2 appeared to be going concerns. The deco buildings around south Beach have preservation orders on them which means they can be refitted totally inside but the exterior has to remain much as it stood before. That is what I was told on the Miami Preservation League's official tour. Sadly it doesn't cover the rest of the area hence why Sunny Isles is now Trump central.BTW Matt - the Congress is still open & taking bookings. Maybe the rooms at the rear are more popular as the front ones overlook one of the noisiest parts of Deco drive?

Yeah - much like the space acting as a car park which used to be the Senator. Some of the hotels along Ocean & Collins are being refurbished and turned into condos (like the Carlyle) or up-market boutique hotels (like the Marlin). There are buildings up for sale along Ocean & Collins & all but 2 appeared to be going concerns. The deco buildings around south Beach have preservation orders on them which means they can be refitted totally inside but the exterior has to remain much as it stood before. That is what I was told on the Miami Preservation League's official tour. Sadly it doesn't cover the rest of the area hence why Sunny Isles is now Trump central.BTW Matt - the Congress is still open & taking bookings. Maybe the rooms at the rear are more popular as the front ones overlook one of the noisiest parts of Deco drive?

It was 1060 Ocean which was completely empty and gutted inside ( featured in an MV episode ) and a small cigar stand outside only. The Marlin went bust I believe - the St Moritz restaurant and bar was closed and the whole of the ground floor ( where " Free Verse " filmed ) was empty . The Loews owns the St Moritz and for some reason have closed the restaurant and bar areas.:DThe Leslie is also empty on Ocean Drive and boarded up - The Century at 100 block Ocean Drive - also looked completely empty to me.

• 1 month later...

New NewsThank you for supporting our efforts to save one of Miami Beach's most historic homes from demolition. 42 Star Island is a landmark that was designed by Florida's first registered architect in an extraordinary location at the entrance of Miami Beach.I have some sad news to report - we just learned moments ago that Commissioner Jonah Wolfson has added a last-minute request to be discussed at tomorrow's Commission meeting - the purpose of which is to stop the historic designation process for 42 Star Island.We are shocked at this unprecedented move. Indeed, it appears this would be the first time in the history of Miami Beach that a Commission voted to stop historic designation before the exploration process itself had even completed. In every other designation instance, the Commission waits until the research has been conducted so that it can review the objective facts on which to base a historic designation vote of yes or no. Why is this Commissioner trying to interrupt the process in the middle of the exploratory phase? It would be like a jury voting in a trial without examining all of the available evidence.The Historic Preservation Board of Miami Beach voted unanimously on two separate occasions to pursue the process of historic designation for 42 Star Island, after multiple hours of discussion and debate. This is a group of experienced and dedicated volunteers appointed by the Commissioners to help identify and preserve historic resources in Miami Beach.We hope you will help us by contacting the Commissioners before tomorrow's meeting to express your opposition to such a move. We want to let them know the following:• On 2 occasions, the Historic Preservation Board voted unanimously to pursue the Designation process for the home • The process itself is not even half-way through • Such a resolution to cancel the designation process at this point would be unprecedented • The Commission will have the ability to vote on designation once they have all of the available evidence. This may take several more months • If the Commission prematurely votes to stop the designation process, it would send the wrong message to Miami Beach citizens who are not happy with the rate of demolition of historic homes and the changing face of our neighborhoodsThe Commission needs 5 out of 7 votes to make this unprecedented move against historic preservation tomorrow. We worry that at this critical moment in our history, such an action would be an invitation for the bulldozers to demolish what remains of our precious unprotected historic resources - less than 100 years after our City was founded.How You Can Help!Please email the Commission with your strong opposition to this move. Their contact information is below (please reference "Item R9I 42 Star Island"):Matti@miamibeachfl.gov, Jorge@miamibeachfl.gov, Jerry@miamibeachfl.gov, Michael@miamibeachfl.gov, Deede@miamibeachfl.gov, Ed@miamibeachfl.gov, Jonah@miamibeachfl.govWith your help, together we can Save Miami Beach Neighborhoods.Thank you! -Daniel Ciraldo 305-496-9535 http://savemiamibeach.org/

Good NewsToday the Commission decided NOT to discuss a measure proposed by Commissioner Jonah Wolfson that would have been a huge step in the wrong direction for preservation in Miami Beach. They have delayed the discussion to May 8th at 5pm. Please save the date and join us in person if you are available. You can also send your emails to the Commission in the meantime, per my previous message.Thanks for all your support at the last minute -- it seems our voices were heard and I hope we can continue to pressure the Commission to do the right thing.More about today's meeting from the Miami Herald:http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/17/3349309/miami-beach-commission-wont-intervene.htmlThanks Again! -Daniel Ciraldo info@savemiamibeach.org http://www.savemiamibeach.org/ 305-496-9535

The fight is not over yet. This is from the Miami Design Preservation League. Please send you emails and show up if you are in the area. I already have sent my emails although as a non-resident, it might not mean much.SUPPORT PRESERVATION OF HISTORIC HOMES! We need your help on May 8th at 5pmat the Miami Beach Commission Chambers.Come support stronger historic preservation laws of single family homes in Miami Beach! The character and history of our Miami Beach neighborhoods is being threatened. Since last year, an unprecedented number of speculators and out-of-town buyers aredestroying historic homes in order to replace them with huge, over-sized houses. Request for demolition of architecturally significant homes are coming in at a rateof two to four a month. With no historic preservation laws to save them, the trendwill continue unabated. We are trying to halt these terrible losses by urging the Miami Beach City Commissionto enact stronger historic preservation laws. We are also pursuing the historic designation of 42 Star Island Drive, the most notorious example of this kind of destruction. Designed by noted architect Walter De Garmo and built in 1928, the beautiful whitemansion sits on the east side of Star Island and has been visible to millions of causeway motorists and bay boaters ever since. The City Commission will consider whether to halt the historic designation processat its May 8th meeting. This is our best chance to show the commission the outrageof voters and historic preservationists over this disturbing trend and its prime example at 42 Star Island Drive. Here are two easy ways you can help: Show your support by attending the City Commission meeting on Wednesday, May 8th at 5 PM. Wear white to show the Commissioners we stand together. City CommissionChambers, City Hall, 1700 Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach. Send an email to the Miami Beach City Commission. Tell them you support stronger preservation laws for historic homes and saving the house at 42 Star Island Drive. Send you emails to: Mayor Matti Herrra Bower: matti@miamibeachfl.gov Commissioner Deede Weithorn: deede@miamibeachfl.gov Commissioner Ed Tobin: Ed@miamibeachfl.gov Commissioner Jerry Libbin: jerry@miamibeachfl.gov Commissioner Jonah Wolfson: jonah@miamibeachfl.gov Commissioner Jorge Exposito: jorge@miamibeachfl.gov Commissioner Michael Góngora: michael@miamibeachfl.gov

Some More NewsWe need your help next Wednesday May 8th at 5pm at the Miami Beach Commission Chambers. We hope you can join us and wear White to show your support - details below!The City Commission will consider whether to halt the historic designation process for 42 Star Island at its May 8th meeting. We need to come out and show the commission the outrage of voters and historic preservationists over the disturbing trend of historic home demolitions, and its prime example at 42 Star Island Drive. Here are two easy ways you can help:1. Show your support by attending the City Commission meeting on Wednesday, May 8th at 5 PM. Wear white to show the Commissioners we stand together. City Commission Chambers, City Hall, 1700 Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach. If you plan to attend on Wednesday, please fill in the form here so we have an idea about attendance: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_g3s4jDSR0b9n8S4ROUB49YjPkL39Q4QrEx1ZgHXqKQ/viewform 2. Send an email to the Miami Beach City Commission. Tell them you support stronger preservation laws for historic homes and saving the house at 42 Star Island Drive. Send your emails to: Mayor Matti Herrra Bower: matti@miamibeachfl.gov Commissioner Deede Weithorn: deede@miamibeachfl.gov Commissioner Ed Tobin: Ed@miamibeachfl.gov Commissioner Jerry Libbin: jerry@miamibeachfl.gov Commissioner Jonah Wolfson: jonah@miamibeachfl.gov Commissioner Jorge Exposito: jorge@miamibeachfl.gov Commissioner Michael Góngora: michael@miamibeachfl.govThank you for your support! -Daniel CiraldoQuestions? Email me at info@savemiamibeach.org

Reference the notice from the Miami Design Preservation League that I posted and alleycat repeated above- Here is a sample email you can use to support the preservation of the Little Prince House (42 Star Island Drive). The more support for its preservation the better, even from non-residents. Remember Miami Beach relies on tourism, foreign and domestic.Dear Mayor and Commissioners: Please put an end to the destruction of the special character of Miami Beach’s neighborhoods. The demolition of historic homes is ruining the very fabric of Miami Beach. Strong preservation laws for historic homes must be enacted immediately or we will loose what makes Miami Beach special.The proposal to demolish 42 Star Island Drive is the worst example of this kind of destruction. There is no more prominent historic house in Miami Beach and it must be saved. Please allow the house to be designated as an historic site.I urge you to enact stronger laws to preserve historic homes and designate 42 Star Island Drive as an historic site. Sincerely,

Here is the latest news about the fight to save the Little Prince House.I can't understand why anyone would vote to tear down the house unless there was some under the table deal going on."Miami Beach Commissioner JONAH WOLFSON on Wednesday tried to stop efforts to designate a Star Island home as historic, but didn’t get support for the measure.Wolfson added a last-minute resolution to the regular commission agenda to overrule the Historic Preservation Board’s recent decision to move forward with the historic designation of the home. Wolfson wasn’t at the meeting when the item was discussed, and his fellow commissioners declined to take up the resolution.Mayor Matti Herrera Bower said it wasn’t fair to put the item on the agenda last-minute, and commissioner Ed Tobin agreed.But commissioners will have another chance to vote on the measure: It was put on the next commission agenda, with a time-certain of 5 p.m. set by Bower, “so residents can come.†That meeting is scheduled for May 8.The home was recently bought in foreclosure, the 1925 home at 42 Star Island and asked Miami Beach for permission to tear it down. Preservationists, however, have been fighting to save the home — designed by Florida’s first registered architect, Walter DeGarmo — by declaring it historic.The owners have already gotten permission to tear down the mansion, but that’s in limbo while the competing historic designation application is considered. Both the demolition approval and the historic designation processes have been appealed, and the owner has sued the city over the whole thing. We the tax payers will pay for any settlement that occurs of course.."

Great news, the MDPL is claiming a victory at last nights meeting. :clap: They wrote, "The historic designation process of 42 Star Island continues." This will be a long process but at least there is now a chance of saving the house.

Sadly the rich gaudy developers have already demolished almost the whole of Sunny Isles for the monstrous Trump etc towers so that the entire beach is in shadow for part of the day. I am not against new buildings but why this pointless razing of anything that does have character? Sunny Isles may have been a bit gaudy back in the 1980s but at least you saw people in the street - its now like a ghost town with all the rich up in their "ivory" towers.

really sadconcerning the houses we spot in MV i don't care much if they survive or not . for a simple reason it's that most of them belong to individuals and canno't be visited . of course if i go on holidays someday in Miami it would be cool if we could spot one even from far , but one can't have it all . but concerning the public places like art deco hotels . i really think Miami authorities should pay attention to that chance they have . if only it is on a touristic level 90 % of Miami tourists spend a day a Miami beach

really sadconcerning the houses we spot in MV i don't care much if they survive or not . for a simple reason it's that most of them belong to individuals and canno't be visited . of course if i go on holidays someday in Miami it would be cool if we could spot one even from far ' date=' but one can't have it all . but concerning the public places like art deco hotels . i really think Miami authorities should pay attention to that chance they have . if only it is on a touristic level 90 % of Miami tourists spend a day a Miami beach[/quote']Its really sad they are just demolishing constantly:D

• 2 weeks later...

What follows is an email I sent to info@savemiamibeach.org and the response. We can all do something to help (or at least try to) save historic Miami landmarks even if we don't live there and attend commission meetings.My Letter: Dear Sir or Madam: The TV show Burn Notice has shown this great old home at 42 Star Island to the world. The season, episode name, and DVD counter numbers are included below. Burn Notice shows the mansion in numerous between the scenes aerial views of spectacular Miami scenery. See Season One’s ‘Loose Ends’ from 53:55 to 53:58 and from 56:48 to 56:41. The house can be seen again in Season Two’s ‘Rough Seas’ from 16:30 to 16:33, Season Four’s ‘Hot Properties’ from 11:01 to 11:02, and in Season Five’s ‘Square One’ from 19:57 to 19:58. It may appear in other episodes and scenes, but these are the ones I have found. I'll bet it also shows up in season seven, yet to be released.Of course the precedent setting TV show Miami Vice featured the home in the first season episode “Little Prince.†It included rare inside views. I'm sure you know just how important Miami Vice was to the Beach. Hopefully you find this informative and useful information. It shows just how visually stunning this home is to professional film makers. They recognize it as representative of the beauty of Miami Beach, and thanks to this publicity, so do millions of viewers around the world.Good luck in your efforts to save it.The response:Dear Jim,Thank you for taking the time to share this information with us. I will be sure to share it with our followers and with the Commissioners who will eventually be voting on whether to designate the home as historic. It surely has been a symbol of Miami Beach for many generations, and we hope it will continue to be for many more to come.Best,Daniel Ciraldo