Greatest 80's Songs

timm525

I find it a bit sad that most people only know A Flock Of Seagulls for their name, hairstyles or just as a another forgotten one-hit wonder, but never mention the great Paul Reynolds. One of the great guitar talents to come out of the new wave/synth-pop era of the 80s. His guitar signature are all over the debut album, and I think his finest hour was not on I Ran or DNA, but with Space Age Love Song. A real feel-good, dreamy 80s gem, made even better by featuring a stunning Jennifer Connelly in it.

• Like 2

Just a week ago this great classic was gone except several cover versions, but thanksfully somebody uploaded the original video and it has not been muted or taken down, yet.

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1

On 22.6.2016 at 4:35 PM, ArtieRollins said:

somebody uploaded the original video and it has not been muted or taken down, yet.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

I knew the song Space Age Love Song by A Flock Of Seagulls from  GTA: VCS. It's a great song, as is I Ran. Jen is stunning in that vid. 
That movie is Career Opportunities. It could've been one of John Hughes' best films if he had only worked harder on the script. Jen is one of the most stunning women ever in that movie though

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

That movie is Career Opportunities. It could've been one of John Hughes' best films if he had only worked harder on the script. 

I was surprised to learn that after the great Uncle Buck (1989) with John Candy, Hughes did only direct one more film, Curly Sue (1991). He sure wrote and produced lots of movies though, but as you said, if he had worked a bit harder on some of his scripts and cut out the mediocre stuff, the films might benefit better. Sadly a lot of those scripts ended up becomming some of the worst pictures of the 90s.

Dutch and Only The Lonely though, are two favorites of mine. Dutch is more or less Home Alone mixed with Planes, Trains & Automobiles, and Only The Lonely is a pretty good remake or an updated version of Marty (1955)

Career Opportunities I have not seen, but it is on my to-do-so list, thanks to Jen Connolly. It came out in 91? but has a certain 80s, romantic feel to it, or at least it looks like that from the trailer/music videos. Either that or because I recently had a rerun with Mannequin (1987) and the stunning Kim Cattrall, and the whole film takes place inside a shopping mall. Not a masterpeice but nowhere near as bad as some critics say. 

• Like 1

I really wanted Career Opportunities to be good since Jennifer is so amazingly gorgeous and Frank Whalley is a very passable lead but it's only average. What a pity. It had the ingredients to be great. If only the script had been stronger. Career Opportunities and The Hot Spot really capture Jenny at the height of her youthful gorgeousness

27 minutes ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

The Hot Spot really capture Jenny at the height of her youthful gorgeousness

It sure did. Not a bad film either, and the soundtrack was very good. Another early 90s film that featured Jen was Rocketeer (1991). Not a very good film, but still one I keep coming back to, thanks to Connelly. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Let It Be (1984) by The Replacements, a true punk-rock classic.

Try to breathe some life into a letter
Losing hope, never gonna be together
My courage is at it's peak
You know what I mean
How do say you're O.K. to
An answering machine?
How do you say good night to
An answering machine?

Big town's got its losers
Small town's got its vices
A handful of friends
One needs a match, one needs some ice
Call-waiting phone in another time zone
How do you say I miss you to
An answering machine?
How do say good night to
An answering machine?

I get enough of that

Try to free a slave of ignorance
Try and teach a whore about romance

How do you say I miss you to
An answering machine?
How do you say good night to
An answering machine?
How do you say I'm lonely to
An answering machine?
The message is very plain
Oh, I hate your answering machine
I hate your answering machine
I hate your answering machine...

• 2 weeks later...

I remember thinking I had heard this beautiful, dreamy music before somewhere, and was sure it were from Twin Peaks and was so happy when I found out it was from David Lynch's Blue Velvet (1986). Went the next day too find the movie soundtrack and later on Julee Cruise's debut album Floating into the Night (1989)

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:07 PM, Dadrian said:

Tony don't look! :) 

I thought I commented on this somewhere........anyway, I prefer nice jazz guitar solos, but the guitar lick in Walk This Way is kind of cool :cool:. I just don't like Mick Jagger's cavorting around.

OOPS!  That's not Jagger.......he looks like him......:o

Edited by Tony D.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I thought I commented on this somewhere........anyway, I prefer nice jazz guitar solos, but the guitar lick in Walk This Way is kind of cool :cool:. I just don't like Mick Jagger's cavorting around.

OOPS!  That's not Jagger.......he looks like him......:o

Why am I having deja vu?? ;) :)  Nope that's Steven Tyler or is it.... :D 

I was just kidding. Because we had the conversation before.

Edited by summer84

The album that introduced me to Robert Smith and his band The Cure, and even though it is not as strong (maybe a bit too many "weaker" songs) than say, Disintegration or Three Imaginary Boys, but still it does contain some of my all-time favorite The Cure album cuts such as the beautiful One More Time or the more horror/nightmarish The Kiss and If Only Tonight We Could Sleep.

Edited by ArtieRollins

22 hours ago, summer84 said:

Why am I having deja vu?? ;) :)  Nope that's Steven Tyler or is it.... :D 

I was just kidding. Because we had the conversation before.

Yes, but I couldn't find it !!

Niagara were a French indie pop act, mostly active in France in the late 80s. But this song, in 1989, received some airplay on MTV Europe and other music video channels.

Look for the 6-minute maxi version on the web somewhere... that one's even better.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

One of Judas Priest most powerful songs, and one hell of a vocal achievement from Rob. It has everything you could want from the british metal gods, from the stunning and beautiful build up to the dramatic shift around 02:40 and onward. How this monster tune never were considered to be released as a singel I will never understand.

On 8/8/2016 at 10:35 PM, ArtieRollins said:

The album that introduced me to Robert Smith and his band The Cure, and even though it is not as strong (maybe a bit too many "weaker" songs) than say, Disintegration or Three Imaginary Boys, but still it does contain some of my all-time favorite The Cure album cuts such as the beautiful One More Time or the more horror/nightmarish The Kiss and If Only Tonight We Could Sleep.

What episode of MV later in the show featured a Cure song off their 1987 album (Kiss Me ?) ?!? 

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

What episode of MV later in the show featured a Cure song off their 1987 album (Kiss Me ?) ?!? 

I guess this was from season 5?. 

As I have not seen that season since summer of 2008, my memory of it are rather weak, so I just have to take a wild guess (not going to cheat by searching it up). I don't think it is their hit Just Like Heaven, and to my ears, their most Miami "Viceish" cut from their 1987 album, Kiss Me, Kiss, Kiss me, would be either the title cut, The Kiss or Like Cockatoos, and I am probably wrong, but I go for the last one:

3 hours ago, Matt5 said:

I think you're talking about "Heart of Night" when May Ying is getting kidnapped. 

Edited by Dadrian

And everybody wants to be special here

They call your name out loud and clear

Here comes a regular

Call out your name

Here comes a regular

Am I the only one here today?

Gotta love The Mats. 

Heart breaking stuff, and again a perfect album closer by Mr. Paul Westerberg. 

21 minutes ago, ArtieRollins said:

And everybody wants to be special here

They call your name out loud and clear

Here comes a regular

Call out your name

Here comes a regular

Am I the only one here today?

Gotta love The Mats. 

Heart breaking stuff, and again a perfect album closer by Mr. Paul Westerberg. 

Great post and song !