Greatest 80's Songs

timm525

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:48 PM, Matt5 said:

Great songs Thankyou for posting !

48 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Nice tracks !

You do realize you posted the same Drive-By back on August 28?

One of their best songs and music videos.

The weakest single of their "last" album in (1989) and much darker music video, all in black and white, but to me it's not that bad.  

Since I discovered this Pop/Rock New Wave band "Cock Robin" with Peter Kingsbery and Anna LaCazio, I've completely been captured by their music. Although they are an American band they became popular and had success with their music in Europe. I love their long vocals/high notes, melody and especially the visually artistic made music videos. Still an active band with a new female singer in 2016.

• Like 3

On 10/26/2016 at 5:13 PM, summer84 said:

One of their best songs and music videos.

The weakest single of their "last" album in (1989) and much darker music video, all in black and white, but to me it's not that bad.  

Since I discovered this Pop/Rock New Wave band "Cock Robin" with Peter Kingsbery and Anna LaCazio, I've completely been captured by their music. Although they are an American band they became popular and had success with their music in Europe. I love their long vocals/high notes, melody and especially the visually artistic made music videos. Still an active band with a new female singer in 2016.

Nice tunes ! Thankyou for posting Summer!:D

• Like 1

To me, this was a-ha's best song in the 80s...  with a pretty wicked synth wall of sound... :cool:

Also, although it came out in late 1990 and thus technically isn't an 80s song, they did a very decent cover of the Everly Brothers song "Crying In The Rain":

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

To me, this was a-ha's best song in the 80s...  with a pretty wicked synth wall of sound... :cool:

This is on my Miami Vice movie that hasn't happened playlist. It's just great!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Pretty intense song with the drums & keyboards. :thumbsup:   The video is weird, though!  It looks like it's recorded in a cathedral..........with all the mannequins, does that mean only dummies go to church? :p :D

Edited by Tony D.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

A while ago, I had the instrumental section from 3:45 minutes as a ringtone on my smartphone. Sadly, the synth lead sounded a bit too "squeaky" on that tiny Samsung speaker...

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Tony D.:

It looks like it's recorded in a cathedral..........so does that mean only dummies go to church? :p :D

Wikipedia says:

Zitat

In early October 1985 A-ha recorded the video for The Sun Always Shines On TV at Saint Alban the Martyr Church and Udney Hall Gardens at Teddington, Middlesex, in England over three days with the Director Steve Barron.

---------------

Here's another great 80s song:

I've always loved that song, and the video... and it reminds me of driving through Gran Canaria's western desert last summer in a rented  open-top convertible with this song on full blast... :cool:

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Tony D. said:

It looks like it's recorded in a cathedral..........with all the mannequins, does that mean only dummies go to church?

I remember hearing Ridley Scott talking about how Blade Runner was seen as a complete failure when it comes to the box office around 1982, but that it didnt take long before the films influence were soon to be seen in music videos and not only in the 80s but for several decades and when I see the mannequins and the gothic cathedral in the a-ha video, I always think of J.F Sebastian and his "friends" that were these toys he made to keep him with company, and in some short scenes there are placed several mannequins around the old Bradbury Building and I think there is a chance that a-ha or the music director put in a little tribute to Blade Runner, or it might just be a coincidence.

Not a very long scene, but I think that close to the end there is a moment where Rick Deckard walks through a bathroom filled up with very similar looking mannequins, anyway I have always been a bit creeped out by them, scary looking things.

Edited by ArtieRollins

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A great song from a terrible record, and the only reason why I still have it in my collection. Sad how they went from producing brilliant new wave/pop music with three classics in a row, to end up doing such a lousy album. 

"Circus magazine in 1978 upon release of "Hot Blooded" commented that Lou Gramm had a voice that Robert Plant might envy."

:tasse: Amen!

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Dadrian said:

"Circus magazine in 1978 upon release of "Hot Blooded" commented that Lou Gramm had a voice that Robert Plant might envy."

:tasse: Amen!

Nice to see him get recognition. I met him about a year ago in Rochester NY where he was doing a book signing ,and he did an acoustic session with a small band. To me  he has one of the best voices in rock history (think I want to Know what Love is , and Waiting for a Girl Like You ) , and he is a genuinely nice guy.

• Like 1

A good song from a band I've known since I was a kid, yet I only came to pay more attention to this track in particular about 5 years ago. Back then (not the best time ever, to say the least), verses like "When you can't hear the rhyme and you can't see the reason/Why should the hope remain?/For a man will be tired and his soul will grow weary/Living his life in vain" felt as if the the band were talking to me

Inventive lyrics (and controversy about its meaning, from "AA" to misunderstanding of industrial scientific developments).

And some sort of Easter egg:  Ammonia Avenue => NH3 Ave. => Heav3n

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

A good song from a band I've known since I was a kid, yet I only came to pay more attention to this track in particular about 5 years ago. Back then (not the best time ever, to say the least), verses like "When you can't hear the rhyme and you can't see the reason/Why should the hope remain?/For a man will be tired and his soul will grow weary/Living his life in vain" felt as if the the band were talking to me

Inventive lyrics (and controversy about its meaning, from "AA" to misunderstanding of industrial scientific developments).

And some sort of Easter egg:  Ammonia Avenue => NH3 Ave. => Heav3n

Bought this cassette when I was 13, mainly for "Don't Answer Me," which I still love to this day. Now that I'm older, I'll go back and listen to the whole thing again.

My dad was a HUGE Alan Parsons Project fan when I was a kid. Part of the soundtrack of my childhood.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ArtieRollins said:

Tears for Fears - Start of the Breakdown (1983)

The perfect closer from a rather "forgotten" synth-pop classic The Hurting

Still VERY relevant (@1:36):

This album is currently #1 in the US. Can't say enough good things about this kid's talent. 

I think the similarity of the album art is coincidental, but it is hard to ignore. 

The other 80s nod in this song is a bit more obvious. The Weeknd has definitely done his homework. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

Wow, that is a fantastic song, thanks Dadrian. :thumbsup:

I really enjoyed the 80s early Michael Jackson feel-good vibe, and the little nod to Pale Shelter was a classy touch too. This one goes straight into my favorites.

Its good to know that Tears for Fears is still up to date, as they had so much more to offer than just Everybody Wants To Rule The World and Shout.

Here's another 80s killer, (or twice) by the great Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders:

• Like 1

If you like that song, check out the rest of the album, and, yes, he is compared to MJ very often for obvious reasons.  :clap:

Edited by Dadrian

• 2 weeks later...

"ONE-TWO-BE-STIFF!"

One of those great b-sides that should have been on the original album. Later on it was re-worked and released by Toni Basil as a single, still a good version but never close to Devo's original cut.

Edited by ArtieRollins

Sensual.. Hypnotic.. Love Roxy!! 1982.. 

I love the description from the video above, Avalon surely are one of the most classy and elegant records of the 80s.

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1

Happy Birthday Phil Collins. I like this one, seemingly about remorse in a failed relationship.   (Ok so I know it was technically released in 1990)

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 2