Greatest 80's Songs

timm525

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I love the Go-Go’s and wanted to learn their song “Our Lips are Sealed” on bass. I just learned the song and recorded this bass cover within 24 hours... so it’s a little shaky but I think I did a pretty good job.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

I noticed there's a documentary out (Showtime, i think) about the Go-Gos.  I was considering watching it.

Yeah, I want to watch it, but it’s difficult to watch since it’s on Showtime. I hate how many different streaming services there are. I already have Amazon Prime and Netflix... You can get Showtime with Prime, but I hate to spend extra money.

• Like 1

It came out a few months ago and I watched it.  It was well done and I recommend it.  

I saw them at the Greek in the summer of 84.  It was a Friday night show and they were in town and had played on Johnny Carson a few nights earlier.  I remember because one of my friends recorded it on their new VCR. :)  My family didn’t have one yet.  I went with a girl from school and her older sister and boyfriend.  They broke up not long after, if I remember correctly... the band, not the couple! :p

Have you heard the demo recording of Our Lips are Sealed that was really slow?  VH-1 Behind the Music played it in their Go-Go’s episode many years ago.  Very different!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

I remember hearing somewhere that there was another meaning to that song.  Something umm..slightly inappropriate ;).  It may have been on Behind the Music.

You could be right.  I remember it was about a relationship, but I don’t remember if it was a breakup song or something else.  It was by Jane Wiedlin and I also remember seeing her on some reality show many years later and she was into some kinky stuff, like BDSM.

I just found this:

The Go-Go’s supported the Specials on the latter's 1980 'Seaside' tour of England. According to Jane Wiedlin, she and lead singer Terry Hall had a brief affair despite his having a girlfriend. After Wiedlin returned to the United States, Hall mailed her some lyrics, and this led to their co-writing the song. The Go-Go's version is significantly more upbeat than the original which Wiedlin describes as "great" but also "gloomier".

Edited by pahonu

Interesting stuff, @pahonuand @Mr. Vigilante! I do remember hearing a little snippet of the original demo on the “Behind the Music” special. It is on YouTube and watched it recently. They talk about the making of the song and play a bit of the demo at about 14:10. The story seems opposite here, though, where Terry Hall had first met Jane in L.A... Who knows, lol.

Pahonu, that’s very interesting you bring up that you went to that concert at the Greek in 1984, because I also just saw that concert on YouTube! It was aired on Cinemax back then.

Edited by AndrewRemington

7 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

Interesting stuff, @pahonuand @Mr. Vigilante! I do remember hearing a little snippet of the original demo on the “Behind the Music” special. It is on YouTube and watched it recently. They talk about the making of the song and play a bit of the demo at about 14:10. The story seems opposite here, though, where Terry Hall had first met Jane in L.A... Who knows, lol.

Pahonu, that’s very interesting you bring up that you went to that concert at the Greek in 1984, because I also just saw that concert on YouTube! It was aired on Cinemax back then.

Thanks for the links!

They played several nights there, like three or four shows.  My parents only let me go because it was a Friday night!  :) I hadn’t started high school yet.  They played the night before and maybe one more after, I think.  I wonder if the video you watched was the same date I was there?!?!?

Edit:

I just did a little research on a cool website I found called setlist fm.  My memory was reasonably accurate for 35 years ago!  Apparently they played August 8-10 at the Greek.  The last night was the Friday I went.  They played at Irvine Meadows (now gone ;() the next night, Saturday.  They also played on Carson like I remembered.  It was the Monday before the shows.

Here’s the link:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/the-gogos-13d6b53d.html?page=28

I was hoping the credits of the video would have the date, but no luck.  It looks just like I remember it but I can’t say if it was the Friday night I was there.  Such high tech graphics on that video!  :p

I’m going to look up a bunch of other shows I went to over the years.  Good memories man, thanks again!

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2021 at 8:50 PM, AndrewRemington said:

I love the Go-Go’s and wanted to learn their song “Our Lips are Sealed” on bass. I just learned the song and recorded this bass cover within 24 hours... so it’s a little shaky but I think I did a pretty good job.

man, i wish i was that shaky

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2008 at 3:26 AM, timm525 said:

If you start me upIf you start me up I'll never stopIf you start me upIf you start me up I'll never stopI've been running hotYou got me ticking gonna blow my topIf you start me upIf you start me up I'll never stopYou make a grown man crySpread out the oil, the gasolineI walk smooth, ride in a mean, mean machineStart it upIf you start it upKick on the starter give it all you got, you got, you gotI can't compete with the riders in the other heatsIf you rough it upIf you like it you can slide it up, slide it upDon't make a grown man cryMy eyes dilate, my lips go greenMy hands are greasyShe's a mean, mean machineStart it upIf start me upGive it all you gotYou got to never, never, never stopNever, neverSlide it upYou make a grown man cryRide like the wind at double speedI'll take you places that you've never, never seenStart it upLove the day when we will never stop, never stopNever stop, never stopTough me upNever stop, never stop, never stopYou, you, you make a grown man cryYou, you make a dead man comeYou, you make a dead man come

Video blocked but I know it well!! Great choice!

This is one of my favorite feel good songs:

Oh, and this one too.  :)  Daryl Hannah was stunning in the below.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2013 at 5:14 PM, Vincent Hanna said:

The other day i was a little obessed with that fleetwood mac song "Little Lies"I must have played it like 20 times ha. Gotta love campy 80s stuff.

Love Fleetwood Mac!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Here's one that takes me back to childhood.

That reminds me of a funny training montage video I made featuring a tennis friend.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It is embarrasing that I just recently discovered it, but this song was in Stone's War. I have watched this episode multiple times, but for some reason the song did not register to me. Until now. It is just so good. And the placement of the song in the episode itself with the rebels fighting and this song playing, is perfect. What I am not embarassed to say is that sometimes I just listen to the song on repeat with headphones via Spotify. My girlfriend runs a little recording studio and when I visit there, I just play this song on full volume on the fancy speakers and just enjoy myself.

So there you have it: 'Mercy' by Steve Jones

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Ocellis said:

It is embarrasing that I just recently discovered it, but this song was in Stone's War. I have watched this episode multiple times, but for some reason the song did not register to me. Until now. It is just so good. And the placement of the song in the episode itself with the rebels fighting and this song playing, is perfect. What I am not embarassed to say is that sometimes I just listen to the song on repeat with headphones via Spotify. My girlfriend runs a little recording studio and when I visit there, I just play this song on full volume on the fancy speakers and just enjoy myself.

So there you have it: 'Mercy' by Steve Jones

Nothing is embarrassing about that, and I agree, this song is AMAZING. I feel it's in the perfect episode as well, really sets the tone (in regards to 'Stone's War', I think Ira Stone regained a measure of respect from Crockett, although I wish Stone lived and his real story was told)>

Ooh, a couple of 80s songs (half my mind is the 80s, the other half is sandbar & swampland) are "Here & Now" by Missing Persons (LOVE Dale Bozzio), "Voices" by The Jim Carroll Band ("Coming from the traffic, coming from the cube...":thumbsup:), and "Falling" by the Comsat Angels (there's that "Real Genius" again; Yean-yis!).

• 4 months later...

I forgot how cool the Pointer Sisters were until I heard this one on XM radio.  I know this was in a movie soundtrack but I can't place it.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 2