Greatest 80's Songs

timm525

Joe Jackson is one of my favourite artists in the 80s. This imo underrated musician has delivered many solid cuts, and here is one of my favourites:JOE JACKSON - STEPPIN' OUTNow...The mist across the window hides the linesBut nothing hides the colour of the lights that shineElectricity so fineLook and dry your eyesWe...So tired of all the darkness in our livesWith no more angry words to sayCan come aliveGet into a car and driveTo the other sideMe babe, steppin outInto the nightInto the lightYou babe, steppin outInto the nightInto the lightWe...Are young but getting old before our timeWe'll leave the T.V. and the radio behindDon't you wonder what we'll findSteppin out tonightYou...Can dress in pink and blue just like a childAnd in a yellow taxi turn to me and smileWe'll be there in just a whileIf you follow meMe babe, steppin outInto the nightInto the lightYou babe, steppin outInto the nightInto the light

Tears for Fears ...Everybody Wants to Rule the World..in the decade of decadence was there a better song to define it...not to mention the title...how did everyone miss this one???

Tears For Fears — Everybody Wants To Rule The World lyrics Welcome to your lifeThere's no turning backEven while we sleepWe will find youActing on your best behaviourTurn your back on mother natureEverybody wants to rule the worldIt's my own designIt's my own remorseHelp me to decideHelp me make the mostOf freedom and of pleasureNothing ever lasts foreverEverybody wants to rule the worldThere's a room where the light won't find youHolding hands while the walls come tumbling downWhen they do I'll be right behind youSo glad we've almost made itSo sad they had to fade itEverybody wants to rule the worldI can't stand this indecisionMarried with a lack of visionEverybody wants to rule the worldSay that you'll never never never never need itOne headline why believe it ? Everybody wants to rule the worldAll for freedom and for pleasureNothing ever lasts foreverEverybody wants to rule the world

U2' date=' Joshaua Tree[/url']I want to run I want to hide I want to tear down the walls That hold me inside I want to reach out And touch the flame Where the streets have no name I want to feel sunlight on my face I see the dust cloud disappear Without a trace I want to take shelter from the poison rain Where the streets have no name Where the streets have no name Where the streets have no name We're still building Then burning down love Burning down love And when I go there I go there with you It's all I can do The city's aflood And our love turns to rust We're beaten and blown by the wind Trampled in dust I'll show you a place High on a desert plain Where the streets have no name Where the streets have no name Where the streets have no name We're still building Then burning down love Burning down love And when I go there I go there with you It's all I can do Our love turns to rust We're beaten and blown by the wind Blown by the wind Oh, and I see love See our love turn to rust We're beaten and blown by the wind Blown by the wind Oh, when I go there I go there with you It's all I can do

Great pick. I love this song :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Climie Fisher - Love Changes (Everything)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRXM0FY_qs0&feature=related(Jason F., you’ll never read this post, but this song's for you. Remember when we first met?)I was only seventeenWhen she looked at me that way Seems like yesterday I was only foolin' 'roundBut she stole my heart away I've never been the same I felt the strangest feelingLike a raging fire it burned She left, I cried for weeks andI can't forget herOr the lesson that I learned Love changes, changes everything Love makes you fly, it can break your wings Love changes, changes everything Love makes the rules from fools to kings Love changes, love changes everything Then the year went rollin' by I grew up and moved away Had to earn my pay Found another lover then But my heart is sad to say It only ended up the same way And I wondered was I destinedTo spend my life alone Oh girl you answered my question This time it's working, you've given me new hope Love changes, changes everything Love makes you fly, it can break your wings Love changes, changes everything Love makes the rules from fools to kings Love changes, love changes everything I've seen the way love shakes ya, makes ya, breaks ya It's got a power of its own Love changes, changes everything Love makes you fly, it can break your wings Love changes, changes everything Love makes the rules from fools to kings Love changes, love changes everything

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Just watched Magnum PI, Season 7 cliffhanger. Love this song.John Denver, "Looking for Space"On the road of experience, I'm trying to find my own way.Sometimes I wish that I could fly awayWhen I think that I'm moving, suddently things stand stillI'm afraid 'cause I think they always willAnd I'm looking for spaceAnd to find out who I amAnd I'm looking to know and understandIt's a sweet, sweet dreamSometimes I'm almost thereSometimes I fly like an eagleAnd sometimes I'm deep in despairAll alone in the universe, sometimes that's how it seemsI get lost in the sadness and the screamsThen I look in the center, suddently everything's clearI find myself in the sunshine and my dreamsAnd I'm looking for spaceAnd to find out who I amAnd I'm looking to know and understandIt's a sweet, sweet dreamSometimes I'm almost thereSometimes I fly like an eagleAnd sometimes I'm deep in despairOn the road of experience, join in the living dayif there's an answer, it's just that it's just that wayWhen you're looking for spaceAnd to find out who you areWhen you're looking to try and reach the starsIt's a sweet, sweet sweet dreamSometimes I'm almost thereSometimes I fly like an eagleBut sometimes I'm deep in despairSometimes I fly like an eagle,like an eagleI go flying flying

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
Can I touch you to see if you're real?Isn't nothing, there's something right hereWill my heart take the strainOr will it break down again?In your lips I sense a dangerYou've got the eyes of a strangerHave I been sleeping for all these years?Is it magic that makes you appear?When you walked in the room I felt my heart raceBut you had me fooled when I looked at your faceIn your lips I sense a dangerYou've got the eyes of a strangerIn your lips I see a dangerYou've got the eyes of a strangerIn your lips I sense a dangerYou've got the eyes of a strangerIn your lips I see a dangerYou've got the eyes of a strangerYou've got the eyes of a strangerYou've got the eyes of a strangerYou've got the eyes of a strangerYou've got the eyes of a stranger

• Administrators
Is it time to throw away our memoriesphotographs and relicsof what used to beIs it time to start againanother life, another nameoh, does it have to end?I always felt save with you.(chorus)Do the best adventures have to endNow do we leave the scene as friends.Is this how I'll find love and trustfrom being so alonealone and lostis this where we say goodbyerather than just live another liedoes it have to end?I always felt safe with you.(chorus)There is a silence in our heartachesthe cry of the unknownit's like a bird that can't be heardis it really time to go?Is it time to throw away our memoriesphotographs and relicsof what used to beIs it time to start againanother life, another nameoh, does it have to end?I always felt save with you.(chorus)

• 3 weeks later...

'Eurasian Eyes' by Corey Hart(one of my very favorites)

Eurasian eyes are watchin' me Like a river, o you flow through me Eurasian eyes are runnin' still Whispered moments cut the chill When eurasian eyes are watchin' me Do you feel the passion in me Cos I'm the one that said I'd never care For someone like you Now I'm the one who lacks the eloquence to say (To say) that when the world is cold With no one to hold I can only see eurasian eyes love won't lie cause the truth would cry That I can only see eurasian eyes Eurasian eyes inspire me Look for the magic until I see Eurasian eyes so honestly Do you feel the passion in me cause I'm the one that said I'd never care For someone like you Now you're inside me and I won't defend What I want to do for you (But I said) Now I'm the one who lacks the eloquence To say, to say When the world is cold With no one to hold I can only see eurasian eyes (You know) if love won't lie Cos the truth would cry I can only see eurasian eyes And if my heart is blind Then why do I find That I can only see eurasian eyes
  • Like 1

Jesse Johnson And Stephanie Spruill - Heart Too Hot To HoldWhen you walked into the roomI could see you were no foolIs that smile a sign for me?Only if my heart could seeCan I hold you in my dreams?Keep your body close to meTell myself I've got controlEven though you're hot to holdIs your heart too hot to hold?Just a flame that burns my soulHeart, too hot to holdToo hot, too hot, to hot to holdWhen you walk, you walk so coolAnd you know the way you moveMakes me want to take a chanceAre you ready for romance?Will I make your body cryCry so loud you'd never hearIn the shadows of my lifeCan I take you home tonightIs your heart too hot to hold?Just a flame that burns my soulHeart too hot to holdToo hot, too hotToo hot to holdHeart too hot to holdJust a flame that burns my soulHeart too hot to holdToo hot, too hotToo hot to hold

• 3 weeks later...
I feel so extraordinarySomething's got a hold on meI get this feeling I'm in motionA sudden sense of libertyI don't care 'cause I'm not thereAnd I don't care if I'm here tomorrowAgain and again I've taken too muchOf the things that cost you too muchI used to think that the day would never comeI'd see delight in the shade of the morning sunMy morning sun is the drug that brings me nearTo the childhood I lost, replaced by fearI used to think that the day would never comeThat my life would depend on the morning sun...When I was a very small boy,Very small boys talked to meNow that we've grown up togetherThey're afraid of what they seeThat's the price that we all payOur valued destiny comes to nothingI can't tell you where we're goingI guess there was just no way of knowingI used to think that the day would never comeI'd see delight in the shade of the morning sunMy morning sun is the drug that brings me nearTo the childhood I lost, replaced by fearI used to think that the day would never comeThat my life would depend on the morning sun...I feel so extraordinarySomething's got a hold on meI get this feeling I'm in motionA sudden sense of libertyThe chances are we've gone too farYou took my time and you took my moneyNow I fear you've left me standingIn a world that's so demandingI used to think that the day would never comeI'd see delight in the shade of the morning sunMy morning sun is the drug that brings me nearTo the childhood I lost, replaced by fearI used to think that the day would never comeThat my life would depend on the morning sun...

My favourite group has always been Simply Red and there are no less than 3 of their songs in MV : Picture Book (the best IMO), Heaven ... and I don't remember the 3rd one. I remember being totally amazed when I heard them for the first time in MV, great moments :happy:

My favourite group has always been Simply Red and there are no less than 3 of their songs in MV : Picture Book (the best IMO)' date=' Heaven ... and I don't remember the 3rd one. I remember being totally amazed when I heard them for the first time in MV, great moments :happy:[/quote'] The 3rd one is holding back the years, the scene with Don & Melanie at the boat...at the end of By hooker by crook
  • Like 1

My favourite group has always been Simply Red and there are no less than 3 of their songs in MV : Picture Book (the best IMO)' date=' Heaven ... and I don't remember the 3rd one. I remember being totally amazed when I heard them for the first time in MV, great moments :happy:[/quote'] I too am a big fan of Siimply Red--have 2 of their CDs. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
Toto were a group of session musicians who decided to form a band and cut an album together.It was so successful they put out another one' date=' The song Africa was from their second cut.I'm surprised you never heard of them as they were HUGE! They had other hits like "99" and "Hold the Line" was their breakthrough hit in the late 70'sI saw them in concert in 1977 and again in 1982[/quote'] Sorry for the late reply, but I just saw this while re-reading this thread.I know who Toto is, but Timm listed them as TODO when he posted the lyrics of "Africa." He edited it after my reply. :)

The 3rd one is holding back the years' date=' the scene with Don & Melanie at the boat...at the end of By hooker by crook[/quote'] Yesss ! thanks!Cooper-Burnett > I have 6 of their albums and I prefer the first two ones (maybe the ones you have). There are also goods songs on the others, but they are more .... eclectics :rolleyes:

Toto were a group of session musicians who decided to form a band and cut an album together.It was so successful they put out another one' date=' The song Africa was from their second cut.I'm surprised you never heard of them as they were HUGE! They had other hits like "99" and "Hold the Line" was their breakthrough hit in the late 70'sI saw them in concert in 1977 and again in 1982[/quote'] I have to discipline myself so that I don't overpost in this thread, I must've missed it earlier. Probably a good thing. Can only imagine what it'd be like to see Toto live, but they're not touring right now and who knows when they'll tour again. I like Hold the Line's powerful female vocals, never knew who it was, but from other versions I've heard that's always been a huge audience participation song.Check this out:

Several of the band members recall hearing "Hold the Line" for the first time on the radio:I flipped the first time I heard myself on the radio. My mom called me up and said, "Turn on KLOS." It was the song "Hold the Line," and I started running around the house in my underwear, screaming, "I'm on the radio!" My wife was cracking up. It was just a thrill. (Steve Lukather, Guitar Player magazine, April 1984)Bobby Kimball had a similar experience when he heard Toto for the very first time on the radio:"I was asleep, I had my alarm clock set for noon because we were gonna do something in the studio, some promo and when the alarm came on there was the radio and "Hold The Line" was playing. And my room was totally black and I was looking for the telephone and I called Paich and I heard him scream, he was living over there with his girlfriend and he was screaming around and falling over trying to get to the radio." Toto99.com