Xmas chat party, anyone?

cageyJG

It's been a long time - on Dec. 21st, will the world spin off its axis and send us hurtling into space? Will you get all the presents you asked for? Who knows, but you're invited to join us as we find out at a good old-fashioned MV chat party - Mayan prediction edition. Come one come all, come old come new, bring your Blackjacks and your Lowenbraus, etc. Last time we did this we had a good turnout, come on by and say hello - especially if you're new or we haven't heard from you in awhile. My browser will be parked there all day, even if I'm not. Try to pop in anytime between 7:00 - 10:00 P.M. - YOUR TIME. Feel free to swing by anytime beforehand and test. Toss in any topics, good times ahead. http://tinychat.com/cageyjgPwd: LorraineWebcam/Audio capable (but not required):tasse_prost:

• Administrators

Traveling over night to NJ from Toronto and arriving that morning so if the "bus lag" doesn't kick in I will try to make it but no promises! ;)

I've got my office Christmas meal on Friday night but I'll try and log onto the chat when I get home. It'll be great to catch up with other vicers

• Administrators

Not a bad idea. Unfortunately I can't join the chat.BTW: do you know we have our own Miami Vice Video Chat? Click on Video Chat in the navigation box on our main site.

Regret we're going to miss you Caipi, it would be cool to have you onboard. Try and check-in in the evening if your schedule opens up. Hopefully some of our friends in Europe will come say hello.Sadly I was never able to get this site's videochat up and running, maybe the config on user-end advanced settings/ports is the issue? I tried IE 8 and Firefox and was never able to get through.

• Administrators

That might be. The chat works pretty fine when I use it at home. At work I'm not able to access the chat due to firewall settings or something else what's blocking access.Another reason could be that we have to restart the chat manually after rebooting our server. I have to find a way to include the chat starting sequence into the boot files of our server. I re-started the chat yesterday. Maybe you could try again?

Sorry, Caipi, did not work. Same thing happened to us last time. It'd be a nice feature & I know Maria714 got it to work once with you, but I never did. I could set aside some time in my schedule to help you troubleshoot offline if you want, over PM or chat. So there are 21 episodes in Season 5. I could watch 11 this evening and 10 tomorrow, and time it so that Freefall would end a few seconds after midnight on the 22nd. If the world is really coming to an end, then there's no point in not watching Freefall anymore, http://www.miamiviceonline.com/group.php?groupid=6but maybe I should just watch the top episode from every season and go get a http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?1479-PIZZA-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&highlight=pizza. In any case, the first headline I read today was, "Since the world is going to end tomorrow, Hot models are searching for sex with anyone but you". http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/12/20/steamy-climax-searching-for-sex-before-world-ends/ Can someone ask the cast what they're doing so I can plan accordingly - I'm so conflicted.

Anyone know how the date was calculated so precisely & in whose time zone is it going to happen? Australia are already in the early hours of 21 December 2012 ... if it is to do with numbers, surely there are a few other calendars out there (Hebrew is in year 5773, Islamic is 1434AH ) plus the Gregorian calendar used by most other countries including the UK & introduced in 1582 moved things around a bit date-wise.Personally I think it is a load of bunkum and at least if I'm wrong then there's going to be nobody to say "I told you so!" roflSee you in the chat room in the early hours of the 22nd UK time :)

Hey Caroline, this doesn't exactly answer your question, but this is the most informative item I've heard so far:Turns out that the Mayans thought that on the winter solstice in 2012, the sun would be exactly aligned with the center of the galaxy and cross thru the flat plane of the galaxy, so that, from now on, instead of the sun floating above the plane of the galaxy, we'd be floating below it. To the Mayans, that indi...cated that we were finishing one astronomical cycle (which happens every 5,125 years), and starting another one. Rather than starting a new calendar year every 365 days on January 1st, like we do, they had to buy new calendars every 5,125 years. However, with modern technology and by having the perspective to measure this cosmic alignment from space, it turns out that the sun alignment was maximum in 1998.... The Mayans were pretty darn close, but off by about 14 years. We're already existing in the new Mayan calendar in what they called the 14th B'ak'tun. So.... Unless some lunatic decides to be ironic by choosing the solstice of 2012 to wreak havoc, we should survive... Whew! ;) happy 14th Anniversary all!! ;)Yeah, but but but everyone else's saying...See ya tmrw...P.S., doomsday should be properly aligned to GMT, one would think.P.P.S., here's some more:"The Mayan long count calendar uses days, not solar cycles, therefore leap years are irrelevant. i went to a talk by one of the leading mayan scholars on this subject recently (she's been studying the maya for about 40 years) and the end of the 13th b'ak'tun is calculated correctly to fall on either dec. 21 or dec. 23, depending on which date you use as the start of their long count calendar, which is either aug. 11 or aug 13. the mayans have been described as the "original timekeepers" and created elaborate calendars and time systems that go back millions of years, therefore i find it hard to believe that someone would say that they were wrong. the idea of the world ending did not originate with the mayans. that came from new age hucksters trying to capitalize on "end of the world" doomsday stories that help them sell books, seminars and so forth. the mayans never predicted anything. hey lawson, have you ever met dr. barbara macLeod during your travels down south? she is one interesting lady and very knowledgeable when it comes to deciphering mayan glyphs. so either way, we're safe from any sort of apocalypse." [sic]Even more... http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/nasa-end-of-the-world-december-21-2012-nasa-slams-mayan-calendar-predictions-in-video

That's ok pal, just come on in when you can! Everyone's invited to pop in and say hello when it's convenient for their schedule. 7-10 P.M. your time - please pass it along in the kaffee bar, if you would. :cool:

Turns out that the Mayans thought that on the winter solstice in 2012, the sun would be exactly aligned with the center of the galaxy and cross thru the flat plane of the galaxy, so that, from now on, instead of the sun floating above the plane of the galaxy, we'd be floating below it. To the Mayans, that indi...cated that we were finishing one astronomical cycle (which happens every 5,125 years), and starting another one. Rather than starting a new calendar year every 365 days on January 1st, like we do, they had to buy new calendars every 5,125 years. However, with modern technology and by having the perspective to measure this cosmic alignment from space, it turns out that the sun alignment was maximum in 1998.... The Mayans were pretty darn close, but off by about 14 years. We're already existing in the new Mayan calendar in what they called the 14th B'ak'tun. So.... Unless some lunatic decides to be ironic by choosing the solstice of 2012 to wreak havoc, we should survive... Whew! ;) happy 14th Anniversary all!! ;)Yeah, but but but everyone else's saying...See ya tmrw...P.S., doomsday should be properly aligned to GMT, one would think.P.P.S., here's some more:"The Mayan long count calendar uses days, not solar cycles, therefore leap years are irrelevant. i went to a talk by one of the leading mayan scholars on this subject recently (she's been studying the maya for about 40 years) and the end of the 13th b'ak'tun is calculated correctly to fall on either dec. 21 or dec. 23, depending on which date you use as the start of their long count calendar, which is either aug. 11 or aug 13. the mayans have been described as the "original timekeepers" and created elaborate calendars and time systems that go back millions of years, therefore i find it hard to believe that someone would say that they were wrong. the idea of the world ending did not originate with the mayans. that came from new age hucksters trying to capitalize on "end of the world" doomsday stories that help them sell books, seminars and so forth. the mayans never predicted anything. hey lawson, have you ever met dr. barbara macLeod during your travels down south? she is one interesting lady and very knowledgeable when it comes to deciphering mayan glyphs. so either way, we're safe from any sort of apocalypse." [sic]Even more... http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/nasa-end-of-the-world-december-21-2012-nasa-slams-mayan-calendar-predictions-in-video

Thanks for explaining. There are crazies out there so here's hoping nothing man-made happens today. Be safe everyone

Hey Chloe!We are live right now:http://tinychat.com/cageyjgPwd: LorraineWebcam/Audio capable (but not required)Victor and I met up today - great guy - he has gotten caught up on Season One - putting me to shame!I am at GMT +4, kind of late your time and for the Europe folks. Encouraging everyone to come in 1900-2100 in their time zone. But I'll try and be in most of the afternoon, trying to balance a bunch of deskwork with coming in. Everyone just come on in schedule permitting, but those are the target hours.

Hey Chloe!We are live right now:http://tinychat.com/cageyjgPwd: LorraineWebcam/Audio capable (but not required)Victor and I met up today - great guy - he has gotten caught up on Season One - putting me to shame!I am at GMT +4' date=' kind of late your time and for the Europe folks. Encouraging everyone to come in 1900-2100 in their time zone. But I'll try and be in most of the afternoon, trying to balance a bunch of deskwork with coming in. Everyone just come on in schedule permitting, but those are the target hours.[/quote']Ok thanks...just whizzing by in between chores.I'll check in later ... will be approx 21.00hrs : )

i use google chrome on my laptop which doesn't support tinychatInstalling onto my iphone' date=' uses safari[/quote']Ok installed APP onto iphone...not working