Episode 89 - Blood And Roses

miamijimf

Posted: 02 July 2007 at 5:04pm by DanJBefore we get down to sussing out this ep's locations, I have a question/observation: Did Frank Mosca quietly hire Izzy to decorate his new pad before enlisting Gina? The reason I ask this is that at about 10:43 in the episode there is a shot of a packing crate in Mosca's house with what looks like a stuffed hammerhead shark in it. Am I mistaken, or didn't Izzy hang that same shark on Phil Mayhew's wall? Eingefügtes BildPosted: 02 July 2007 at 6:09pm by airtommyLOL, I'll have to check that out. Props dept getting lazy? This ep has a few interesting location which I can't find. We know the house is the same as Free Verse. But Dixie Lily, flower stand, Pascal's Pascal restaurant, etc. are mysteries. Posted: 02 July 2007 at 6:51pm by DanJI recognized the flower stand right away. It is on Ocean Boulevard (A1A) at what I will guess is about 200th street, in the community of Golden Beach:Eingefügtes BildHere is an overview map showing the flower stand's location relative to the marina from "Phil The Shil:"Eingefügtes BildX: Flower Stand, "Blood And Roses"X: Marina, "Phil The Shil"I know that the "Free Verse" house is nearby but had trouble finding it. Someone please post a map here, referencing the house as Mosca's place.Cook's spaghetti factory (Dixie Lily) might be a food processing plant in Hialeah.Pascal's Pascal IMO has to be somewhere on Miami Beach. A possibility on the mainland did not pan out when I paid it a visit last week...Posted: 02 July 2007 at 7:15pm by airtommyDid you buy a helicopter, or did you finally get Live Maps to work on your computer?!?!?! Mosca's house is at 191 Ocean Blvd. Golden Beach, just south of Verona Ave. more info here Free Verse safe house (also used in Blood & Roses?) 191 Ocean Blvd. Golden Beach (near the intersection with Verona Ave.) I first thought Golden Beach was the area. Then, I thought the road in front of the house was a small two lane road, so Golden Beach was wrong. I spent some time Google Earthing up in the N Ft. Lauderdale area, and it looked perfect. Then I realized the road was a 4 lane divided road, because after Tubbs pulls up another car goes by in the left lane. So, I scanned Golden Beach again, looking for the separate garage in front of the house, and the curved front facade of the house. After I found it, I realized in the ep they show the #191 on the gate when they are leaving at night. But, 191 Ocean Blvd on Google Maps does NOT point to this house. Their maps are often wrong. Also, I confirmed by matching up the distant high-rises. Eingefügtes BildPosted: 03 July 2007 at 2:07pm by DanJGreat minds think alike, pal! I went zoomin' around in my virtual chopper and took some pic's of Mosca's place. Here's a clockwise once around:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildhEingefügtes BildPosted: 03 July 2007 at 3:22pm by DanJLooks like I was mistaken about the stuffed shark, gang, as evidenced by these screen captures:Phil The ShilEingefügtes BildBlood And RosesEingefügtes BildStill, what remains is someone in the props department musta had a thing for sharks?Posted: 03 July 2007 at 9:47pm by miamijimfDanj, Looks like it could be the same shark with a little paint on the tail for Blood and Roses. Maybe if I watched both episodes carefully it would look different. Posted: 03 July 2007 at 11:11pm by airtommyOriginally posted by miamijimfLooks like it could be the same shark with a little paint on the tail for Blood and Roses.That's what I was thinking. Posted: 04 July 2007 at 7:27am by airtommyLast week I thought I had found "Pascal's Pascal restaurant" (scene of the fake hit on Mosca) at Coral Way & Salzedo. I PMed DanJ to check it out and do a trivia question. DanJ checked it out, but it didn't look right. The restaurant has a curved entrance facing the corner of an intersection, with an awning. Across the street were businesses named Amerifirst and Jefferson (maybe still there). In the last few frames as the hit car gets away, you can see a building with arched openings in the background, kind of like this garage in Coral Gables: link ==================================================== Originally posted by DanJCook's spaghetti factory (Dixie Lily) might be a food processing plant in Hialeah.OK, I searched for Dixie Lily and Hialeah and came up with this: "Dixie Lily Grits-think we all remember the big grinding wheel in Hialeah." (source) "The Rustic Roller Rink near SE 11 Avenue, not far from Okeechobee Road, and close to the Dixie Lilly grit factory." (source) So, it seems like you're thinking of the right place.

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 4:07am by miamijimfDanJ, Yes that's the right area. I found the reference you guys were mentioning in http://www.pbase.com:80/donboyd/memories Interestingly I remember as a kid seeing the big neon Dixie Lillie Wheel sign close to where I was roller skating. My memory is confirmed by this quote I found in the above cited web site "Rustic roller rink was located in Hialeah around south east 11 ave and close to the Dixie Lillie Grits manufacturing company." I can find a SE 10th (but not an 11th Ave) on the map, but that further confirms the area and puts it close to 36th Street and the fronton. Posted: 10 July 2007 at 11:43am by DanJHere's a web site I just came across: Dixie Lily Fine Foods (site no longer active)Posted: 10 July 2007 at 1:47pm by miamijimDanJ, I found that site and called the numbers but no one knew anything about the old plant in Hialeah. If you want to hear some real Southern accents, give them a call. The Miami Historical Museum came thru for me and found the address. I really think MV should be considered a serious historical source. It preserves images of Miami that don't exist anywhere else. The Dixie Lily plant is just one example. Posted: 07 July 2007 at 12:13am by miamijimfAirtommy, I think the Plant was about where the red marker is on the below Google Map. This would put it on 10th Court in the SE Section and between 12th and 14th Streets. SE 10th Court still exists. It also shows on the below referenced Yahoo and Live Search maps. Plus I remember the tall neon sign on top of the plant was highly visible in the area of 36th Street, Okeechobee Road, and the roller rink. Also the source quoted in the forum’s Miami Trivia section reads “Rustic roller rink was located in Hialeah around south east 11 ave and close to the Dixie Lillie Grits manufacturing company.†This helps confirm the area. The plant needed raw materials and the railroad tracks were probably used for shipping product. The tracks have been there for decades. I remember crossing them on 36th Street many times. It looks like the Tri-Rail- Hialeah Market Station is there now. On the Tri-Rail web site directions to the station read, “Take LeJeune Road to Southeast 12th Street. East on Southeast 12th Street to Southeast 10th Court. Right on Southeast 10th Court, and station is on the left.†The name “Market Station†might be a clue to former/current use of the area- (agricultural products)? There is some confusion. The address of the Tri-Rail Station is 1200 Southeast 11th Avenue but I think people confuse it with 10th Ct. I can’t find 11th Ave on Virtual Earth. I don’t think it exists anymore except on a Miami-Dade road map I found. Overall I think the address the lady gave me makes sense: 1300 SE 10th Ct. listed under the “Hammond Milling Company, Inc.â€. My friend Frank (who DanJ will remember)found a reference stating that the right to manufacture Dixie Lily in Hialeah up through the eighties was owned by the Hammond family who went bankrupt. That’s a shame I love grits. Eingefügtes BildOther maps: http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/miamijimf/Yahoomaps.jpg http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/miamijimf/LiveSearch.jpgPosted: 07 July 2007 at 12:36am by airtommyOooop, I didn't see those streets!!! I entered 1300 SE 10th Ct. for both Miami and Hialeah at Live Maps, but got no results. It only seems to work when I enter the ZIP code - 33010. This is from Winter 2004: Caribe Chemical Corp. 1300 SE 10th Ct. Hialeah, FL 33010 Looks to me like the building has since been leveled to make way for Home Depot? [edit] On second thought, Jim's right, they needed the railroad, so Dixie Lily was probably east of 10th Ct, not west of it.

• 1 year later...

Just found this ad from the 50s for Dixie Lily products. The final scenes in Blood and Roses were filmed at the Plant. Its big illuminated Water Wheel billboard was visible from 36th Street by the airport. Dixie Lily's most famous product was grits, a traditional Southern dish. Eingefügtes Bild

• 1 year later...

I think, I´ve found Pascal´s Pascal Restaurant now.First, I found a hint on an old Sentinel newspaper article from 24 November 1987: "A December debut is scheduled for Pascal`s Pascal, a New York-style bistro owned by Big Apple restaurateur Robert Pascal at 940 NE 71st St., Miami. "One second I was happy and convinced that I´ve found it. After second thought, it didn´work for two reasons. First, this adress is 100 yards from Biscayne Bay on the mainland and there is no 4-street intersection with business in the background as in MV, but some small houses neighborhood. Second, several other internet sources indicated that Pascal´s was in Miami Beach, including a source that stated that they filmed part of the movie "Cocoon 2" in the restaurant. But I have not found any other address. Thus, I started to think that the newspaper stated the address incorrectly and tried Ave instead of Street and Miami Beach and dropped the "NE". The outcome is 940 71 Street, Miami Beach, and this is indeed a fitting intersection and has a building on the eastern corner of 71 Street and Rue Vendome with a curved shape/entrance, only that it is closed now.I counterchecked with the DVD. The house of the restaurant is the same in size and appearance, same doorshape, same curves, same windows. The landscape/houses on the other side of the street to the left (can be seen when Crockett stops by and approaches the ambulance car) matches. The traffic-light-pole in front of the entrance is missing, but it has been probably removed since then.The only thing that does not match is the background (shops, signs) in the short cut when the hitman car takes the curve. But this scene was probably shot somewhere nearby by the second unit, which is a reasonable explanation for this deviation.So guys, now it´s up to you. I´m 99% sure, here is the link of Google Earth. Please tell me what you think.http://maps.google.at/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=940+71st+Street+Miami+Beach&aq=&sll=25.840418,-80.177313&sspn=0.008439,0.013711&g=940+NE+71st+Ave.,+Miami&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=940+71st+St,+Miami+Beach,+Florida+33141,+Vereinigte+Staaten&ll=25.85486,-80.128108&spn=0,0.003428&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=25.855316,-80.12877&panoid=6w46qykyh7azGsMAuVeJ7A&cbp=12,76.52,,0,-2.25

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

nearly one month has passed and no feedback/counter-checks on this one?(quoting John Cleese in Monty Python´s Flying Circus: "good night, ding ding ding.... three, two, one")

• 7 months later...

another location missing from this ep is Cook´s house (used in teaser and scenes where Crockett and Tubbs find him dead in the pool). Its entrance seems to be within a wooden area (can be seen when C&T approach by car to find him dead) and has a pool at the rear, but I did not see any other clue to pinpoint it.I remember that this house was used in another episode as well (I am not sure which one - I got a bad memory today-, but most likely it was Love at first sight), which might make it easier to get further clues.All other locations of this ep have been found.

another location missing from this ep is Cook´s house (used in teaser and scenes where Crockett and Tubbs find him dead in the pool). Its entrance seems to be within a wooden area (can be seen when C&T approach by car to find him dead) and has a pool at the rear' date=' but I did not see any other clue to pinpoint it.I remember that this house was used in another episode as well (I am not sure which one - I got a bad memory today-, but most likely it was Love at first sight), which might make it easier to get further clues.All other locations of this ep have been found.[/quote']Really "Love at first sight" I will have to check that - on that note was Caitlin's/ Sonny's house from "Love at first sight" found?:D

Really "Love at first sight" I will have to check that - on that note was Caitlin's/ Sonny's house from "Love at first sight" found?:D

Not that I know of. Just watched Love at First Sight again. Good performance by Iman. Not a lot to go on. Don't they show their place in another episode as well? If more of it is seen it might make a good cold case. House or apt doesn't look like a set in this episode.

another location missing from this ep is Cook´s house (used in teaser and scenes where Crockett and Tubbs find him dead in the pool). Its entrance seems to be within a wooden area (can be seen when C&T approach by car to find him dead) and has a pool at the rear' date=' but I did not see any other clue to pinpoint it.I remember that this house was used in another episode as well (I am not sure which one - I got a bad memory today-, but most likely it was Love at first sight), which might make it easier to get further clues.All other locations of this ep have been found.[/quote']I will take a look see in the very near future to see if I can add anything.

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Interesting "Dangerous Game" Ferrari footage with reused and mix of new - the new shots on the Rickenbacker were cool and the 79th Cswy just one shot . Thanks again Charlie .:balloon::D:)

Also Charlie interesting about the flower house location - and the public beach access where you get a good view of that house used in "Free Verse" and "B and R":balloon::D:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

The 1974 Eric Clapton album "461 Ocean Boulevard" cover was shot at 461 Ocean Bvld, Golden Beach and an inner picture shows Clapton at the flower stand seen in this episode.:balloon::hippie::xmas::dance2:Clapton rented this property at this time .

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

191 Ocean Bvld from this episode ( and Season 2s "Free Verse) unfortunately has fallen into a bad state of repair when I visited this Year - the house went into foreclosure and has been empty a while I was told. A real shame. :thumbsdown:

• 8 months later...

When C&T are racing to Mosca's house to save Gina, they go around a curve.   CGlide's location guide says: "Then they turn right. Location unknown. Possibly turning into the Miami Marine Stadium on Virginia Key." This same clip is used in Fruit of the Poison Tree (S5).  

wp9319e85e_06.png

They are headed westbound on the Rickenbacker and turn north onto Arthur Lamb Jr. Rd.

Bing satellite link

They go around the same curve at the end of Down For the Count Part 2 as they're racing to the mall .  The camera is in the opposite direction.  It's clearly not the same filming session because the triangle is sandy in one clip but green grass in the other clip. 

wp0_wp61638736.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

When C&T are racing to Mosca's house to save Gina, they go around a curve.   CGlide's location guide says: "Then they turn right. Location unknown. Possibly turning into the Miami Marine Stadium on Virginia Key." This same clip is used in Fruit of the Poison Tree (S5).  

wp9319e85e_06.png

They are headed westbound on the Rickenbacker and turn north onto Arthur Lamb Jr. Rd.

Bing satellite link

They go around the same curve at the end of Down For the Count Part 2 as they're racing to the mall .  The camera is in the opposite direction.  It's clearly not the same filming session because the triangle is sandy in one clip but green grass in the other clip. 

wp0_wp61638736.png

Yes great work - I noticed that also  :D

• Like 1

I had to grapple with this location for a long time.  I actually thought the turn was a 180-degree u-turn.  I was fooled by the camera angle and the fact that the turn is slightly more than 90 degrees.  But I wasted a lot of time peering at historic aerials of Watson Island before I looked at Virginia Key.

Ah well, it's a labor of love.     =)

Edited by airtommy

• 2 weeks later...

There is a couple reasons I could not positively ID this location on my site. Though your location makes sense as it did to me I could not understand why we do not see the parking lot for the seaquarium as they turn down the road. The buildings seen in the bg seem close to the road and don't match and the water seems closer to the road in the bg as they turn. It seems like the logical candidate but I just can't make everything fit. Can't think of anywhere else it could be but it still does not fit to me.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/14/2013 at 1:20 PM, Matt5 said:

The 1974 Eric Clapton album "461 Ocean Boulevard" cover was shot at 461 Ocean Bvld, Golden Beach and an inner picture shows Clapton at the flower stand seen in this episode.:balloon::hippie::xmas::dance2:Clapton rented this property at this time .

Very cool!  This is the only photo I could find on the Net of those inside album pictures:

Blood_Roses4.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, airtommy said:

Very cool!  This is the only photo I could find on the Net of those inside album pictures:

Blood_Roses4.png

Yes I noticed it on the linear notes immediateky of the Clapton album!