Episode #16 "Rites of Passage"

Ferrariman

7 hours ago, James said:

That's normal. Even in modern shows on current tech you get gain in low lit areas. Some episodes are actually more grainy than others, even in lit scenes. However Rites of Passage looked stunning, like it was filmed yesterday. 

Ah, excellent point!  It would be brilliant if one of us graded these episodes solely on picture and audio quality. But right you are, "Rites of Passage" looks stunning and is just another reason to love the episode!  Maybe cameras just function better when Pam Grier is in front of them! :)

downloadfile.gif.908ee44fcf86494d4937370ed54f65d2.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, James said:

New York Vice in the 90s would be more like this. :thumbsup: Whipped it up in Photoshop in about 10 minutes lol

NYVice.jpg

I always personally wished a "New York Vice" spinoff ran concurrently with Miami Vice's in the 80s, featuring a couple crossovers each year.  Taking place in the 90s was actually Remington's idea.

However, looking at your image, if Tubbs returned to New York resulting in Phillip Michael Thomas actually costarring with Pam, well that would have been equally exciting!

Nicely done! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, ComplimentsofMrCalderone said:

I always personally wished a "New York Vice" spinoff ran concurrently with Miami Vice's in the 80s, featuring a couple crossovers each year.  Taking place in the 90s was actually Remington's idea.

However, looking at your image, if Tubbs returned to New York resulting in Phillip Michael Thomas actually costarring with Pam, well that would have been equally exciting!

Nicely done! :thumbsup:

Yeah, that was the idea anyway. Tubbs returns to New York and is partners with Valerie. 

Thanks! 

• 11 months later...
On 12/21/2017 at 2:40 PM, ComplimentsofMrCalderone said:

Here's a nice pic of Pam and Don taken between filming...007-miami-vice-theredlist.jpg.28aca9507445902c9b0ae2518d58e6af.jpg

Thankyou for sharing - very cool

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Actually, one way to look at Tubbs and Valerie is sort of a reverse Gina and Crockett. I'm not saying Crockett was intentionally using Gina (though in my opinion Valerie certainly used Tubbs on more than a few occasions), but that same devotion on one side and mixed reaction on the other is certainly there.

• Like 6

As much, as I'm a great Sonny and Gina fan and also the chemistry was certainly there between them, you obviously get the idea, that Crockett loved and cared for Gina as a friend. Where she felt more than that, considering her upset reaction, when he gave her the news about getting married. Crockett had easily moved on in the episode "Nobody Lives Forever," where it showed that their relationship/dating had meant more to Gina than Crockett, where he had acted unfair to Gina and she blamed him for using her, to quote "until something better came along." Also, when Brenda asks about their relationship, Crockett describes Gina as a good friend, they are there for each other also sexually. Another instance is in "One Eyed Jack," where Crockett looks surprised looking at the wine/champagne?, where Gina had prepared a romantic dinner on the boat and says, "what's the occasion?" If they were in a serious/mutual relationship, it would have been natural, that she would show up like that. Little things/instances, like that, that I didn't notice before being blinded as a fan of S&G. :)

Edited by summer84
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Actually, one way to look at Tubbs and Valerie is sort of a reverse Gina and Crockett. I'm not saying Crockett was intentionally using Gina (though in my opinion Valerie certainly used Tubbs on more than a few occasions), but that same devotion on one side and mixed reaction on the other is certainly there.

I never understood why Tubbs kept coming back for more, especially after the way Val treated him in Prodigal Son. She seemed reluctant to resume the relationship in Too Little Too Late. It was pretty obvious she wasn't interested, but he refused to see it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, summer84 said:

Another instance is in "One Eyed Jack," where Crockett looks surprised looking at the wine/champagne?, where Gina had prepared a romantic dinner on the boat and says, "what's the occasion?" If they were in a serious/mutual relationship, it would have been natural, that she would show up like that. Little things/instances, like that, that I didn't notice before being blinded as a fan of S&G. :)

I am also a S&G fan, as I've said before, but definitely she was interested in him on a different level than he was interested in her (or at least than he was willing to act on).  But, I think he was teasing her when he asked about the "special occasion."   The other thing that occurred to me was that he knew she was getting more serious and he didn't want that/ wasn't ready to be in a serious relationship yet.  He was dipping his toes into the dating world again but I always thought he felt somewhat guilty about the failure of his marriage and he didn't want to get serious with anyone as long as he felt that he couldn't commit himself to a real relationship (as opposed to carving out bits and pieces of his time for a wife and family in between his "real" undercover life). 

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 9:23 PM, Matt5 said:

Just so good. 10/10

I think this one is as strong as any other episode in the show. its up there with Evan.

Edited by RedDragon86

I was never especially taken with this episode. Valerie is just tedious to me, and the plot had me waiting for Keenan Ivory Waynes to wander by and yell "MESSAGE!" (if you've seen Don't Be Menace you'll understand). It might have been better for me had they cast the girl as someone other than Valerie's sister, but as it is it just don't work. At best 7/10 for me, mainly for the music and some of the camera work.

I will never understand why they didn't give Tubbs a better woman to fall for....

• Like 2

I think this is just a good episode with some great moments, but not a great one altogether. Certainly not as good as Evan as someone else posted. I never considered how it might have been if Diane had not been Valerie's sister, but it may have had more gravitas to show how the average person can fall into the trap that she did as opposed to someone related to one of the principal characters. As it stands I think it's a little harsh to say it didn't work entirely. If the show had included and fleshed out Alicia Austin a lot more. then she could have made a very good recurring love interest for Tubbs.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

A who's who for supporting casts... Pam Grier and John Turturro appearing in an episode will always yield excellent results. Tery Ferman (Diane) was a bit annoying as the younger sister, but I think she did a good job before she got "rescued" from the party. Then her character did start to wear thin. David Thornton (Lile) struck me as a poor man's Tom Cruise in his scenes. Big smile, big hair and big sunglasses. Interestingly enough he is married to Cyndi Lauper. Pam Grier is off the chart in every respect, glad that Michael Mann perhaps suggested using her again in his Crime Story series. A very good episode with a somewhat predictable but effective ending.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Watched this one again last night. ‘Detective Valerie Gordon’...definitely Tubbs’ femme fatale! This was a good episode, and we get to know a little more about Rico’s past. The plot of Valerie showing up looking for her “lost” addict sister was good, and I thought Pam Grier gave an amazing performance! 

The fashion and music were really good, as well...Foreigner’s “I Want To Know What Love Is”, was an emotional and perfect choice for Diane’s death scene. :radio: To this day, every time I hear that song I always immediately think of this episode. 

However, I’ll be honest and say I never liked or cared for the character of Valerie. I fully understood her feelings & motives of trying to rescue her sister...but, as for a true relationship & putting forth the love & commitment one takes...I don’t think she cared, nor was capable. 

She “cared” about Tubbs to an extent, but not the way he loved her...and she knew that!  She used & manipulated anyone she needed to, to get what she wanted and to carry out her own agenda. :evil: Rico truly loved her, but she was toxic...she was poison! :blind: 

No matter when, what situation, or place they encountered each other...she always caused Tubbs grief, left him broken-hearted and treated him like crap. But, he never seemed to be able to figure that out...or chose not to acknowledge it. I really wish the character of Alicia Austin, from “Afternoon Plane”, could have been implemented in more episodes...she could have been the perfect love-interest for Rico. :happy: 

But, the plot, performances, action, music, etc...made this one a good one for Season 1. :thumbsup: I originally rated it a 7...still stand by that. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

• 2 weeks later...

I think Tubbs falls for a woman like Valerie because she wasn't easy or a dumb, some men are attractive to woman like this. Sonny is as well I think, maybe that's why he didn't take Gina seriously, because she was easy and someone like Brenda for example wasn't.

Valerie was her on woman, sophisticated and strong.

Pam Grier played Valerie perfectly, good actress as well.

John Turturro is one the shows best villains. Awesome actor.

10/10.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think Tubbs falls for a woman like Valerie because she wasn't easy or a dumb, some men are attractive to woman like this. Sonny is as well I think, maybe that's why he didn't take Gina seriously, because she was easy and someone like Brenda for example wasn't.

10/10.

Definitely agree! And then there's some people who just go nuts over anyone who flirts with them! Haha, what a world!

I am married, but not a love expert... but I definitely believe in love at first sight. Whether the journey is easy or tough, you just know. Even with the ending of "Too Much, Too Late" in mind, I'd like to believe that Tubbs and Valerie ended up together. Maybe after "Freefall", Tubbs went back to New York to be with her.

• Like 3

On 8/15/2019 at 8:07 PM, Robbie C. said:

I will never understand why they didn't give Tubbs a better woman to fall for....

re:  Valerie--I have to agree with this!  Valerie was just toxic. 

But this is another relationship I wish the show had expended a bit more energy to tell.  I'd like to know more about Rico's and Valerie's relationship back in NYC.  From what we were actually shown, there is really no reason for him to continue to carry a torch for Valerie, and she's portrayed as a user (of Rico and his love for her).   True that he falls for some other women who also aren't good choices, but I'd just like to see some reason put forth as why he ever thought she was THE one for him, which he apparently did.   

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

Even with the ending of "Too Much, Too Late" in mind, I'd like to believe that Tubbs and Valerie ended up together.

lol! There are no happy endings in the MV world :)

Maybe after "Freefall", Tubbs went back to New York to be with her.

well, i figure he wouldn't be rehired by the NYPD. Sonny left the force and was about to leave Miami altogether. No reason to stay in Miami so the only option was to go back his native NY and try to work things out with Val. Anyway, this is fan fiction material :p...oh, I so wish they had done some reunion tv movie in the 90s...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

10/10.

Definitely agree! And then there's some people who just go nuts over anyone who flirts with them! Haha, what a world!

I am married, but not a love expert... but I definitely believe in love at first sight. Whether the journey is easy or tough, you just know. Even with the ending of "Too Much, Too Late" in mind, I'd like to believe that Tubbs and Valerie ended up together. Maybe after "Freefall", Tubbs went back to New York to be with her.

I totally understand that some men like more intelligent and “strong” women...I myself do. I don’t care how attractive physically she is, ditzy or an airhead is so unattractive to me! But, Gina wasn’t “easy” or dumb...she was actually very intelligent and strong. She was just ready for a more serious relationship, whereas at the time Crockett was not. 

However, to me there’s definite differences between being strong & independent...and a manipulative user, a “fake” who only cares about themselves. ;) Pam Grier is an awesome actress & did play Valerie perfectly...but her character was trouble & poison for Rico (probably for any man)! :blind: 

At the end of “Freefall”, which I was very disappointed in, we really don’t know what happened to anyone! Maybe Tubbs did return to New York...but I’d like to hope it wasn’t to Valerie anymore, that he’d finally figured out and come to realize she was toxic. I’d like to think he eventually got back with Alicia Austin (from “Afternoon Plane”). But, that’s just me. :funky:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

re:  Valerie--I have to agree with this!  Valerie was just toxic. 

But this is another relationship I wish the show had expended a bit more energy to tell.  I'd like to know more about Rico's and Valerie's relationship back in NYC.  From what we were actually shown, there is really no reason for him to continue to carry a torch for Valerie, and she's portrayed as a user (of Rico and his love for her).   True that he falls for some other women who also aren't good choices, but I'd just like to see some reason put forth as why he ever thought she was THE one for him, which he apparently did.   

I dug into this in one of my stories, and may revisit it at some point if I decide to do more Tubbs NYPD stuff. The short version is I think he fell for her before she got messed up. I also think there might be something to the idea of her reminding him of a time when his brother was still alive and things were "good," or as good as they could be for him. We never really see Tubbs settle into Miami, after all. Even in my stuff I had him fall for another outsider...two people who'd been ejected from their birthplaces and ended up in Miami as refugees (if you will).

• Like 3