Episode #87 "Blood & Roses"

Ferrariman

1 minute ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Also, I think it's good that the episode wasn't Crockett vs. Mosca, it added another layer to things. Crockett was able to voice his opinion about Frank and his qualities, so that was good!

Yes, that was a good thing as it was an opportunity for Saundra to do more with her Gina character. And she "finished the job" nicely i may add.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 7:26 PM, Dadrian said:

Mosca was a little more charming than Ramirez.  :) 

Not enough to sleep with though..depends on your tastes, Dadrian ;)

Edited by wolfie1996
additional info
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

Not enough to sleep with though..

She really dug Sean Caroon.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 3

Just now, sdiegolo78 said:

She really dug Sean Caroon.

Who played him again? It was the Irish guy, wasn't it? He wasn't bad as I remember, but Mosca fairly made my flesh creep!

2 minutes ago, wolfie1996 said:

Who played him again? It was the Irish guy, wasn't it? He wasn't bad as I remember, but Mosca fairly made my flesh creep!

Liam Neeson. He got better with time as actor and charisma. Mosca got creepier in "blood and roses". In the S4 opener he was just another 'Librizzi'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Liam Neeson. He got better with time as actor and charisma. Mosca got creepier in "blood and roses". In the S4 opener he was just another 'Librizzi'.

You're right. No offence to snakes intended but there was something snakelike and totally unwholesome about Mosca. Ugh!

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2021 at 10:13 AM, Dadrian said:

Maybe she was fostered by an Italian family in Miami after Klaus got her out of Cuba as a baby?

You know, that is quite possible; I like that as an explanation. On that note, I liked Klaus, I thought he had a lot of Castillo-like qualities about him.

• 3 months later...

This is a Season 4 gem...I really like this episode! It had a dramatic but heart-felt plot, and was an awesome return/sequel to the much less awesome season opener!

Stanley Tucci was an awesome actor and I've seen him in many things. But, he always seemed to play the perfect sleezy bad guy or assassin...as he was the hired assassin in the 1993 movie Pelican Brief--with Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington. John Heard was also in that movie...Tucci’s character assassinates him. Ironically, Tucci, Heard, and Roberts had all guest-starred on MV at some point. 

But, Tucci’s performance as Frank Mosca was superb! He truly captured a modern (at the time) version of Al Capone or ‘Don Vito Corleone’...and the music at the very beginning was “haunting” & very Godfather-ish. It drew you in immediately! :clap:  Mosca was charming and witty...but vicious and deadly at the same time. [Side-note: By the way, what was the deal with the "Franks"? Was this a name that some MV writer or producer hated or something? :p You have Frank Hackman, now Frank Mosca. What are the odds that both nemesis of Crockett and Tubbs would be named Frank?] :radar:

I really liked the colors and fashion in this one (except for Gina's butt-ugly, VERY 80's prom-style, giant bow dress at the beginning :eek: But, that was in style then :) ), and the colors & fashion reminded me of earlier seasons! Gina’s white suit-coat with the MV-pink skirt was hot! :happy: The beach scenery from Mosca's mansion was also breathtaking! Beautiful filming location! :glossy:

Saundra Santiago did a superb job in this one! :clap: Her performance was emotional and in-depth...and I like how the tables were turned, and she got to be the one to take Mosca down, instead of Crockett. I also liked the chemistry & scenes between her and Crockett! Very sweet and touching...you could tell there were definitely still very deep, “real” & emotional feelings between them (regardless of Caitlin, or other guys Gina might have dated), even if they were upset with the other. But, thanks to the writers they could just never quite get it together. :o  

But, Saundra was amazing, and I enjoyed her in this very much. The music was also really good...with songs like Winners & Losers by Iggy Pop, and Dangerous Game by Tommy Shaw! Interesting soundtrack, and it was cool! :radio: 

Overall I found this episode to be much better written and carried out than its counterpart season opener, "Contempt of Court", and I love the gangster/mob tones. :clap: I originally gave this one an 8, but I’d bump it up to a 9 if I could! :thumbsup: 

293D7F39-8B64-40AD-8229-C75259349CCB.jpeg

6DAA4A76-ABE4-4F7D-9246-0DEF12BAF6FD.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan

• 3 months later...

This is one of the most "Miami Vicey" episodes of S4.  Saundra Santiago and Stanley Tucci's scenes together are riveting as they both have to be calculating in their natural ease with each other.  

The visual interest here are some of the low-angle establishing shots - skies dominant in the upper half of the frame, buildings somewhat curved/distorted underneath.  The first shot of Cook's factory is a good example.  

A must for Gina fans! 

• Like 4

• 9 months later...
On 2/10/2021 at 10:25 PM, fakespyder said:

Just to make my remarks clear. When I said he deserved a better ending I didn't mean he shouldn't die or be arrested. I guess I was kind of dissappointed that a great villan was kind of wasted.

They set him up so well in the season opener. Felt like a wasted opportunity to me.

Totally agree. Lombard, Mosca, Lao Li, Charlie Glide. 

All very good crooks that could have been used much more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gazzaa2 said:

Trudy saying to Gina the morning after "We're just women". What does that even mean? Seems really stupid dialogue. 

I think she meant it like “we are human” in the sense that “we all make mistakes”. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I also agree that Mosca was a great villain.

They should have kept him around. Both "Contempt of Court" and this one were enjoyable. People complained about "Contempt" that it was "too different" but so what. Not every episode had to be about drugs and Colombian dealers. Mosca threw some nice mafia twist there and played his role very well.

PS: What happened to Mosca's steroid-filled bodyguard from "Contempt"?  :D

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, apocalypse said:

I also agree that Mosca was a great villain.

They should have kept him around. Both "Contempt of Court" and this one were enjoyable. People complained about "Contempt" that it was "too different" but so what. Not every episode had to be about drugs and Colombian dealers. Mosca threw some nice mafia twist there and played his role very well.

PS: What happened to Mosca's steroid-filled bodyguard from "Contempt"?  :D

Have no idea what happened to Mosca’s bodyguard...probably in prison or Mosca had him killed because he brought the wrong wine to court. :p 

I really liked the Capone/Godfather mafia type bad guy that Mosca was...agree it brought a different, more sophisticated but deadly, type of nemisis. :thumbsup:

I think some feel “Contempt of Court” was a little weak for the season premiere & to introduce the character of Frank Mosca. But, it wasn’t a bad episode at all—it still showed how powerful Mosca’s organization was & how easily he could manipulate judges & the courts.

However, “Blood and Roses” was definitely a much better & superb episode of the season! One of my favorites! :clap:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Swevicus said:

Good episode let down slightly by Gina's somewhat vampiric look (seriously, she's got a bit of a Bride of Dracula thing going on in this story).

Superb episode for Season 4! I loved Gina in it...really gave her another chance to shine, and I guess I didn't notice a "vampirish" look to her, but I know around that time some of the makeup and hairstyles for women were pretty wild, LOL! Stepfanie Kramer as McCall on another cop drama Hunter, on at that same time, also had some pasty-white makeup and pale looks going on for a while. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 2/9/2021 at 5:26 PM, fakespyder said:

Mosca deserved a better ending than this. Tucci played him so well with supreme confidence and violent flashes.

The main focus should've stayed on crockett's desire to get him for the death of his friend, rather than Gina's conflicted feelings for him.

Still there were some good scenes. The last scene looks even worse on Blu Ray where there's no way not to notice the dummy.

They dummy was unnecessary, what they should have did was to have Mosca fall and then show him dead on the ground.

Similar to Sean Carroon's death.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 9:39 PM, ViceFanMan said:

This is a Season 4 gem...I really like this episode! It had a dramatic but heart-felt plot, and was an awesome return/sequel to the much less awesome season opener!

Stanley Tucci was an awesome actor and I've seen him in many things. But, he always seemed to play the perfect sleezy bad guy or assassin...as he was the hired assassin in the 1993 movie Pelican Brief--with Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington. John Heard was also in that movie...Tucci’s character assassinates him. Ironically, Tucci, Heard, and Roberts had all guest-starred on MV at some point. 

But, Tucci’s performance as Frank Mosca was superb! He truly captured a modern (at the time) version of Al Capone or ‘Don Vito Corleone’...and the music at the very beginning was “haunting” & very Godfather-ish. It drew you in immediately! :clap:  Mosca was charming and witty...but vicious and deadly at the same time. [Side-note: By the way, what was the deal with the "Franks"? Was this a name that some MV writer or producer hated or something? :p You have Frank Hackman, now Frank Mosca. What are the odds that both nemesis of Crockett and Tubbs would be named Frank?] :radar:

I really liked the colors and fashion in this one (except for Gina's butt-ugly, VERY 80's prom-style, giant bow dress at the beginning :eek: But, that was in style then :) ), and the colors & fashion reminded me of earlier seasons! Gina’s white suit-coat with the MV-pink skirt was hot! :happy: The beach scenery from Mosca's mansion was also breathtaking! Beautiful filming location! :glossy:

Saundra Santiago did a superb job in this one! :clap: Her performance was emotional and in-depth...and I like how the tables were turned, and she got to be the one to take Mosca down, instead of Crockett. I also liked the chemistry & scenes between her and Crockett! Very sweet and touching...you could tell there were definitely still very deep, “real” & emotional feelings between them (regardless of Caitlin, or other guys Gina might have dated), even if they were upset with the other. But, thanks to the writers they could just never quite get it together. :o  

But, Saundra was amazing, and I enjoyed her in this very much. The music was also really good...with songs like Winners & Losers by Iggy Pop, and Dangerous Game by Tommy Shaw! Interesting soundtrack, and it was cool! :radio: 

Overall I found this episode to be much better written and carried out than its counterpart season opener, "Contempt of Court", and I love the gangster/mob tones. :clap: I originally gave this one an 8, but I’d bump it up to a 9 if I could! :thumbsup: 

293D7F39-8B64-40AD-8229-C75259349CCB.jpeg

6DAA4A76-ABE4-4F7D-9246-0DEF12BAF6FD.jpeg

This was my latest review from a couple years ago…I still stand by it! This is one of my favorites of the season! :clap: :thumbsup:

50 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

This was my latest review from a couple years ago…I still stand by it! This is one of my favorites of the season! :clap: :thumbsup:

Great, 10\10

• Like 1